What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Queensland Origin coach Mal Meninga criticises 'underhanded dealing' in Greg Inglis s

179398-greg-inglis-and-mal-meninga.jpg

Underhanded ... Mal Meninga has slammed Greg Inglis for walking out on his Broncos deal. Source: The Daily Telegraph

756250-mal-meninga.jpg

Queensland State of Origin team announcement at Royal on the Park Hotel, Brisbane. Coach and selector Mal Meninga. Source: The Daily Telegraph r

MAROONS coach Mal Meninga has criticised Greg Inglis for the "underhanded dealing" that saw the Queensland Origin star controversially renege on his $1 million deal at the Broncos to join South Sydney.

As the NRL continues to probe the validity of Inglis's Rabbitohs deal, Meninga expressed his disappointment in the contractual circus and the manner in which the former Storm centre has handled the "messy" affair.
Meninga has played a key mentoring role with Inglis, who has played in five consecutive Origin series victories under the former Test captain.
But Meninga said Inglis's actions in his shock 11th-hour walkout on the Broncos was evidence the days of loyal handshake deals were over.
"The whole thing got a bit messy, and I think there was a bit of underhanded dealing going on," Meninga wrote in his column in the Queenslander magazine, the official publication of the FOGS (Former Origin Greats).
"I am not a fan of that. I am a fan of being honest.
"Greg has had a tumultuous year. Obviously he has had that court case, the Melbourne Storm salary cap scandal, the Andrew Johns incident during Origin and now this contract stuff all hanging over his head.
"He has had a fair bit going on in his life.
"But I am a big believer in doing what is right - doing the right thing, and being honest regardless of the advice you get.
"Once you filter through all the bulldust, you have to make a decision based on what your value system is, and do what you think is right.
"I don't think anyone would have a problem with the idea of a player trying to do the best for himself and his future.
"But I do have to say, the whole affair was another reminder of how the game has evolved into a business, and how the old-school ways of doing things - like handshake deals and using your word as your bond - are the ways of a bygone era.
"Greg's situation, caught as the prize in a three-way battle between the Storm, Broncos and Rabbitohs, got to the stage where no one - including Greg - really knew what was going on."
Meninga revealed he spoke to Inglis in the days after he signed with the Rabbitohs and hopes the 23-year-old has made the right decision.
"At the end of the day, if he is happy he has done the right thing, then he will be clear to get on with things and live his life the way he wants to," he said.
"I guess it is just unfortunate the way it all panned out.
"I am an old fuddy-duddy in a way where I believe that your handshake is your bond, and that's the deal.
"But that is not the way modern society works, unfortunately.
"The game can be kind to you if you are a survivor, but you really do have to make hay while the sun is shining.
"In Greg's case, I wasn't a big fan of how it all went.
"But in the end, the player has to look after himself.
"And if Greg is happy, then I am happy for him."

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...greg-inglis-saga/story-e6frexnr-1225969217455

Ziggy the God

First Grade
Mal 'What has League done for me' Meninga.

This turd jumped for the SL cash, so what is he taking about?

coombsy

Juniors
He was also the coach of Canberra. If anyone pays any attention to this bloke they should be shot. Meninga for all the good that he has done turned me off him when he made that incredible statement and he wants to talk about other`s? Is this the same bloke who would have nothing except for league and said that they did nothing for him? He should get down on his knees everyday and thank RL

He was also the coach of Canberra. If anyone pays any attention to this bloke they should be shot. Meninga for all the good that he has done turned me off him when he made that incredible statement and he wants to talk about other`s? Is this the same bloke who would have nothing except for league and said that they did nothing for him? He should get down on his knees everyday and thank RL

Spot on.

axl rose

Bench

f**kwit of the highest order, im glad someone still remembers.

He never apologized for it either. He and Daley both said they were treated like dogs. Apparently being paid millions of dollars and staying in 5 star hotels on Kangaroo Tours wasn't good enough for them. John Quayle summed it up best at the time when he said the future of Rugby League is not Meninga, it is every young player with the desire to be given the opportunities he once had.

I like to think the rather savage letter he revived signed by all the living immortals stung him but im sure lunch with Reebs and his bank manager made him all better.

Dave Q

Coach
I knew for a fact in the early 1990's that some of our young un's couldnt even afford a car and used to get the bus to training ( and even work).

And theres Mal driving along in his Aston Martin talking about ethics.

FMD!

A typical Queenslander comment.

My only regret during the war is that we didnt sell out, then we could have shown those ARL nuffies what sort of guys we were.

All those filth-laden scum, sat back and got fatter at our expense.

Souths v the rest and we won.... and we are going to win Inglis too.

Last edited:

Ziggy the God

First Grade
I really thought that the war was really over until the bullsh*t we have copped over Inglis.

Anyone who believes that the same has happened elsewhere is either pushing their own clubs barrow, is a troll, or is braindead.

It was a News to News deal, and we got in the middle and won, and now they are throwing the kitchen sink at us.

Rusty will outlast that sinecure Gallop, and Schubert will be out on his arse once the IC gets up and running. Nothing is surer.