What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question for the old buggers in here

Azkatro

First Grade
I was watching the Sunday Footy Show and saw a piece on Terry Randall. Now Terry used to wear the #9 for Manly, but as they mentioned he was in fact a second-rower. I thought about this a bit and came to the decision that perhaps it was because they listed the forward pack in the reverse of what you see today, with the order going lock through to front row. Today we still see teams listed like that in papers like the SMH, but the numbers are certainly 1-7 then 13-8. In the old days, was it just a case of the teams being listed that way but the numbers actually went 1-13? So the lock wore 8, back row 9 and 10, front row 11 and 13 with hooker wearing 12?

Also if that is the case, can anybody enlighten me as to when this convention changed to be what it is today or was it a progressive thing?

Cheers for any insights.

Frailty

First Grade
Yes that is true. The forwards numbers were reveresed. Im not sure of the date it changed but i think it was mid-late 80s... someone perhaps could be more helpful?

Frailty

First Grade
Dont take it to heart... Im 18, and how do you think I feel being called an old bugger.

Darth Bobo

The numbering system was reversed for the forwards. Props wore 11 and 13, 12 was the hooker, etc, etc,.

The change came about because it seems we were the only country to use this numbering system and confusion was around whenever there was an international and the numbers went to how they are today. You could Blokcer running around in Number 13, play a Test in 8 and then be back in 13 for his beloved tigers. It left the part time footy fan wondering what was going on.

It was mid to late 80's that the numbering system for the NSWRL was changed to meet international standards and have been kept ever since.

Hope this answers your question.

innsaneink

Referee
I think it was late eighties some time, Dallas Donnelly died in '86 and he wore the #11 as a prop.

I think also it was to come into line with the rest of the international league community, seem to remember it was a purely Australian thing to do.

8.Lock
9. SR
10.SR
11.FR
12.H
13.FR

bozza tgg

Juniors
Godz Illa said:
I know the answer to your question, but I'm only 25 and recoil at being called an old bugger.

I too am only 25 and was horrified when I saw I knew the answer to the question posed at old buggers.

As everyone has stated Australian rugby league clubs numbered their forward pack differently to the rest of the world, sometime during the late 80's or early 90's they fell into line.

sunny

1988 was indeed the last year of the old numbers, 1989 saw the current numbering system be adopted, in line with the way things were done internationally.

Green Machine

First Grade
1987 was the last year that the old numbering was used in Austraila. 1988, Australia conformed with NZ, France and GB.

Azkatro

First Grade
Excellent, thanks for all your replies, you mob of old coots :lol: I'm 24, but I didn't have any memory of a difference in numbering in the forward pack.

Green Machine said:
1987 was the last year that the old numbering was used in Austraila. 1988, Australia conformed with NZ, France and GB.

I'm pretty sure the old system was used in 1988 as others have said. Because Joe Thomas and Ben Elias wore the No 12 in the 88 decider and Pearce was in No 8. Then it changed to the current one in 1989.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
They used the current system when they played test/international matches before 1988.

I recall Wayne Pearce wearing the number 12 and 13 jumper for Australia.

PARRA_FAN said:
They used the current system when they played test/international matches before 1988.

I recall Wayne Pearce wearing the number 12 and 13 jumper for Australia.

Yeah I think that's the point. The current system was used in internationals, but not in the NSWRL. So to avoid confusion the NSWRL changed to the current and international numbering system in 1989.

innsaneink said:
I think it was late eighties some time, Dallas Donnelly died in '86 and he wore the #11 as a prop.

I think also it was to come into line with the rest of the international league community, seem to remember it was a purely Australian thing to do.

8.Lock
9. SR
10.SR
11.FR
12.H
13.FR

Hard to think that it was that long ago that Dallas left us. Nearly 20 years.