What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Questions about game day.

newman

First Grade
POSS you have to hound the club like a debt collector. Thats the only advice I can give you.

Big, beefy and totally American ... and that's just the food at the Major League Baseball opener

mb_wide_baseball-20140307193224777545-620x349.jpg

Sixty-centimetre hot dogs, thick-cut bacon dipped in maple syrup on sticks and super-sized nachos served in plastic baseball caps are just some of the artery-hardening items punters will be gorging on at this month's Major League Baseball Opening Series event.

The naughty nosh, which also includes Cracker Jacks (caramel-coated popcorn and peanuts), the Chipper (a nachos-like dish made with meat and waffle fries) and cheesecake was unveiled at the SCG on Friday by George Fouskarinis, executive chef at Delaware North, the company that caters for the SCG.

''We're an American company, so we took into consideration the items we use for our menus in the States and worked closely with the chefs there to come up with hero dishes that would give the Australian market and international guests a really authentic American baseball experience,'' Mr Fouskarinis said.

mb_narrow_baseball-20140307193326626288-300x0.jpg

As the food rolled out, nary a lettuce leaf in sight, Mr Fouskarinis joked: ''When you come to a baseball game, you're not looking for sushi, are you?''

The super-sized menu will presumably also help the more than 10,000 Americans coming to Australia for the series feel more at home, and will be served by a team of vendors specially trained by a ''vending guru'' from the US. Vendors will snake through the aisles with their trays, yelling and flinging peanuts at game-goers, at all four games.

mb_narrow_bacon-20140307201416193968-300x0.jpg

Meanwhile, Delaware North has been busy developing menus of a very different kind - high protein, high starch and low fat - for the players themselves.

The menus, Mr Fouskarinis said, catered to the specific needs of the players, which included copious amounts of coconut water and boxes of chewing gum, a smoothie bar and a salad bar. Burgers, fries and buffalo wings will still feature, however.

The series opener will involve the Arizona Diamondbacks playing the Los Angeles Dodgers at the Sydney Cricket Ground over the weekend of March 22 and 23, and is the first Major League Baseball game to be played in Australia.
Super-size snacks for the stadium

The Streaker: Grilled thick-cut bacon (200grams) dipped in maple syrup and cayenne pepper, served on a skewer. About 1800 calories.

The Chipper: 500grams of slow-cooked meat (chilli beef, pulled pork or smoked brisket) on chips served in a plastic baseball helmet with toppings. About 1500 calories.

The All American SuperDog: 60-centimetre smoked frankfurter topped with American beef chilli, cheese sauce, tomatoes, onions and cheddar cheese. About 1160 calories.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/travel/travel...ball-opener-20140307-34cr4.html#ixzz2vW17u5so

Quigs

Immortal
They are trying hard to make the game like a Yank sporting telecasts so I can't see any problem with making the punters eat Septic Tucker.

Bring it on I say.

f**k taking fresh apples and home made sangas to the footy when you can get your hands on shit like that.

mangoman89

Juniors
- Buy your tickets on game day at the windows?
I have a flexi-5 membership since I travel down from Newcastle. And if I want to head down for any more games I usually buy them online and print them off.

- Eat at the game?
Usually pack a lunch for my daughter and myself. But I sometimes buy a hot chips to share. And if I want to indulge I'll hit up the nice hot dog place near the hill.

-Drink at the game?
Very rare. I wouldn't mind mid-strength if the price was lowered as well.

-Enjoy how the scoreboard breaks down at least once a game?
Ha. Barely noticed. Bring back the analog clock if you ask me.

- Go back to the club to kick on?
Only for earlier games, and usually only for presso, due to being with the little one and traveling back home

newman

First Grade
Some minor success from my harassment.

- P.A speakers turned down.
- Some better food options, pizza etc. Only marginal.
- Kiss Cam.
- no scoreboard dramas

Last edited:

carcharias

Immortal
the PA was blaring at my end.
Stupidly I called home to say goodnight to my kids ( can't go on Monday nighTs as it is too late for a school night - f**king stupid NRL idea )
Just as I called old mate decided to have a 5 minute ramble-a-thon over the PA.
couldn't hear a word.

and yes... tackle counter somewhere would be good.
:)

RUBIKS

Juniors
I just spent an hour on this thing and somehow lost it. I couldn't be Fk'd doing it again.

Sorry Newms.

Some minor success from my harassment.

- P.A speakers turned down.
- Some better food options, pizza etc. Only marginal.
- Kiss Cam.
- no scoreboard dramas

Well Newms, of my disbanded quote, Kiss Cam was one of my suggestions. So was Fireworks. So I'm happy. Good Job.

Next step. Do a random membership number call out, show it up on the big screen, if the person is there at the game, bring 'em on the field at half time to kick a goal from the 50m line. If they hit it give 'em a grand. If not, jackpot it to two the next home game. That totals $12k over a year, I'm sure we can afford that. Imagine game 1 the following year full of unsuccessful kicks, Nail it and you get $13k, then 14 and so on. Pretty sure there will be plenty of members there packing the joint out for a chance. Any time someone's name is called out and they aren't there, put it in the leader that "Newms, Membership number # was called out for an attempt, however they weren't there. Don't let this be you at the next game, be there!"

Bring your proof of ID and membership card.

Congrats to the club for having a very nice beer on tap.
The "Minimum Chips" from Matilda bay was very nice indeed and only $5 a schooey.
I

SharkShocked

Bench
Well Newms, of my disbanded quote, Kiss Cam was one of my suggestions. So was Fireworks. So I'm happy. Good Job.

Next step. Do a random membership number call out, show it up on the big screen, if the person is there at the game, bring 'em on the field at half time to kick a goal from the 50m line. If they hit it give 'em a grand. If not, jackpot it to two the next home game. That totals $12k over a year, I'm sure we can afford that. Imagine game 1 the following year full of unsuccessful kicks, Nail it and you get $13k, then 14 and so on. Pretty sure there will be plenty of members there packing the joint out for a chance. Any time someone's name is called out and they aren't there, put it in the leader that "Newms, Membership number # was called out for an attempt, however they weren't there. Don't let this be you at the next game, be there!"

Bring your proof of ID and membership card.

Gotta say - i love this idea.