What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Questions re Perth and Adelaide (and Wellington for that matter)

sorry guys but id have adelaide way down the list.

before that id have :

1. 2 more queensland teams
2. central coast
3. 2nd nz team
4. perth
5. png

For crying out loud, ignorance is bliss is it? I was no Super League fan (manly fan at the time) but Super League was Super League in everything but reality. It was not the 'vision' in any regard. It was not 'Super' teams spread across the region but weaker than nearly ever.

The fact is the NRL MUST grow or risk falling behind. I do not suggest cutting teams in Sydney BUT the comp needs to be less Sydney Centric in general. (the compromise in my mind is two conferences Sydney based and National)

the price of fish in china is now 90 cents, and thats what your post had in connection to my reply.

someone said if NRL HQ was in brisbane wed have a fantastic national competition and everything would be fine.

1997 they did get their own competition and it was a colossal failure

XIII

Juniors
1) What would the average home crowd be? - I reckon 10-15k is realistically achievable.

Mate get real. League is a nonstarter in SA. AFL is king then soccer and even RU has a bigger profile. A 2nd Brisso team, the coast, somewhere in country qld, even another team across the ditch. Perth i don't know what kind of market there is. There are some easteren staters out there so maybe. Adelaide is daft.

shiznit

Coach
a southern orcas side would do well.... split them between Wellington & chch.

a massive advantage that wellington has over the other aussie clubs is the fact NZ has its own TV deal with the NRL. if you add an extra NZ side into the NRL they could potentially double the TV deal they get from SKYTV.

im not totally sure what the deal is at the moment but the NRL will already profit from having an extra side there even before you consider things like the added attractiveness for big multinational companies to sponsor the game and ofcourse actual crowd figures.

joshreading

Staff member
the price of fish in china is now 90 cents, and thats what your post had in connection to my reply.

someone said if NRL HQ was in brisbane wed have a fantastic national competition and everything would be fine.

1997 they did get their own competition and it was a colossal failure

The point of course is whilst they had the SL comp it was in no way what it could have been due to the war, thus you can not make any value judgement on the potential in a non SL War situation. I would rather the expansionist obsession of the Broncos over the navel dwelling of your obsession.

You are becoming a broken record, can someone, can someone, can someone force all his, all his threads, threads into one, one, one?

Far out - give Dally's Sydney Centric thread and for the other side Perth Reds Expansion threads sticky positions up the top.

Loudstrat

Coach
FU NKA

Why are we called the National Rugby League when we aint even national

hence the AFL (Australian Football League) thats Australian Wide but 2 states

Which states? Tasmania and.....?

AFL isn't Australia wide. It's only an urban comp. Only RL reaches the regions. AFL isn't represented in the regions. This is important, because
1) There are more people in rural and regional NSW than either SA or WA.
2) There are more people in rural or regional Queensland than BOTH SA and WA.

AFL is a misnomer, because half of Australia is represented by only 2 clubs.

I am also in Adelaide

1) What would the average home crowd be? - I reckon 10-15k is realistically achievable. A dd a bit of manufactured success like the Storm had and they are trying to do for the Tits then 15k is a definite.

2) What local TV ratings would it bring? - on FTA really quite high SOO is very popular 100kish. Not so hot on Foxtel.

3) What sponsorship/financial base is there to support a club? - there are lots of businesses based in SA that would like the Eastern exposure, particularly mining companies, there are also many local businesses who can't afford the AFL packages who will jump on board. Again though like any other it will require a wealthy backer to get them up and running.

Hindmarsh is ready and perfect for an NRL team.

Problem is SL ratings on ABC for Rams matches rated a ZERO in Adelaide.

The thing that most people don't factor in is the value an extra market brings to other clubs.
Melbourne is hugely important for sponsership deals for all clubs, because a sponser of the North Queensland cowboys gets their product shown on TV in Melbourne as well as Sydney and Brisbane - and Auckland.
Dragging in an extra 1 million plus city means extra dollars for every club in the league and for naming rights for the NRL and Toyota cup.

When is a sponsors name beamed into Melbourne houses on a RL jumper?

Not all companies are Australia wide. East Coast based companies would benefit far more from product exposure in it's market than far flung Perth. How many current NRL sponsors would be served by advertising in Perth? The Coffee Lounge? Coal and Allied? Delmedge? CMFEU? Denlo? NIB?

Loudstrat

Coach
The point of course is whilst they had the SL comp it was in no way what it could have been due to the war, thus you can not make any value judgement on the potential in a non SL War situation. I would rather the expansionist obsession of the Broncos over the navel dwelling of your obsession.

You mean their obsession in culling existing sides in Perth, Adelaide, Newcastle, Gold Coast and South Queensland?

donkey|rope

Juniors
It relocated existing teams to these cities...can't see that being a popular move by the NRL.

The AFL also suffered years of heavy financial losses propping up these teams in both cities until they were able to establish themselves and become viable, independent entities...I'm not sure the NRL could sustain teams in Adelaide and Perth, that were losing money for many years.

IMO their best option would be for a 2nd Kiwi team, or a team on the Central Coast of NSW.
my question was rhetorical.

if rugby league is ever going to grow...no scratch that...if our game going to continue to exist, we need to grow beyond nsw and qld.

we have to spend money to make money. we need to be prepared to suffer short term to profit long term. perth and adelaide will never become receptive to rugby league if we don't put ourselves there. if we keep holding our breath we'll be self dead.

gho

Juniors
AFL is a misnomer, because half of Australia is represented by only 2 clubs.
They're fixing that by adding 2 more teams. The way the NRL is going, i wouldnt be surprised if the AFL get a second team in Brisbane before the NRL does.

Alan Shore

First Grade
What we need is Perth, second Brisbane/Sunshine Coast team, Wellington Orcas and CC Bears. Roosters or Bunnies can leave.

NK Arsenal

Juniors
FU NKA

Why are we called the National Rugby League when we aint even national

hence the AFL (Australian Football League) thats Australian Wide but 2 states

Sorry Griff, but it is....

The only reason I think perth would work is because there is heaps of south africans and poms there who love their rugby (either code)

Adelaide is too infected with Aussie Rules....

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
The expansion might be a bit more successful this team if the teams don't sign with a rival competition before a ball is kicked in anger,, yes I'm talking to you PERTH REDS , AUCKLAND, NQ , f#Cking dogs

Perth Red

Post Whore
The Reds would draw around 12,000 and if done propoerly up to 16-17,000 I reckon. re sponsors a national profile gives a sport national sponsorships (which are generally worth more money than your local company). In terms of TV, the NRL draws around 25,000 viewers on 9 in WA at the mo, that could easily be up to 150,000 with a better profile and our own team

having said that the NRL has such a non existant profile outside of two states that the work needs to be done in showing the rest of the country what the NRL has to offer before we even think about expansion teams. There is virtually ZERO work being done by the NRL in regards to this and this is where we should be dragging gallops ar5e across the coals!

Loudstrat

Coach
They're fixing that by adding 2 more teams. The way the NRL is going, i wouldnt be surprised if the AFL get a second team in Brisbane before the NRL does.

No, they are not adding to any more areas than they have already been to. When they get sides in Canberra, Newcastle, Illawarra, North Queensland, then they are national

The Reds would draw around 12,000 and if done propoerly up to 16-17,000 I reckon. re sponsors a national profile gives a sport national sponsorships (which are generally worth more money than your local company). In terms of TV, the NRL draws around 25,000 viewers on 9 in WA at the mo, that could easily be up to 150,000 with a better profile and our own team

having said that the NRL has such a non existant profile outside of two states that the work needs to be done in showing the rest of the country what the NRL has to offer before we even think about expansion teams. There is virtually ZERO work being done by the NRL in regards to this and this is where we should be dragging gallops ar5e across the coals!

You should have dragged the board of the Western Reds across the coals for joining an idiot league and ditching the opportunity you carve.

Besides, this obsession with joining the dots in Australia belies the real need for RL development -internationally. Develop the market in the US, Russia, France. There's your test market sewn up. There;s also your code's future.

sharko

Juniors
1. Crowds would be good intially but would drop off as the teams struggled mid year..none of the areas have established league comps that could supplement an NRL club. There are established national codes in all these areas that have taken up any excess sponsors dollars and juniors

2. TV Ratings..depends on the broadcaster, may affect sponsors dollars if not adequately covered.

3. Sponors are taken already by AFL and soccer, the national codes. These areas are too small to sustain a 3rd sport at this stage.

gho

Juniors
1. Crowds would be good intially but would drop off as the teams struggled mid year..none of the areas have established league comps that could supplement an NRL club. There are established national codes in all these areas that have taken up any excess sponsors dollars and juniors

2. TV Ratings..depends on the broadcaster, may affect sponsors dollars if not adequately covered.

3. Sponors are taken already by AFL and soccer, the national codes. These areas are too small to sustain a 3rd sport at this stage.
Theres an easy solution, the NRL just needs to prop them up (when the bigger TV deal comes around). If we shove League down the throats of Adelaidians and Perth long enough, the support will grow. Look at what AFL has done in Brisbane and Sydney, after 20 years there are local juniors who have taken up the sport over League, if they can do it in our heartland, why cant we do it in theres.