What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

R1 v Titans.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Fantastic time had by all last Saturday. Met at the Dog and Parrot and got the courtesy bus.
Robina is a great venue for football.

Our first half completions left a lot to be desired but defence was top shelf. We only had to hang on to the ball in the second half and the scoreline could be anything
Hunt dropped ball from the kick off in the second half. Argh.

Then my favourite part of the game, the turning point. A try after the mistake. Titans kick off again, Hunt catches it well, crowd cheers, Hunt pumps his fist in the air to salute the crowd.
I almost called the game right there. The energy levels were very evident.

Titans too slow in clearing the ruck. Plus their marker play fell apart. They have some serious issues with their left side defence.
Saints exploited this well, and while there is room for improvement, there were plenty of good signs.

Plus we won the short re-starts, turns out the Titans are worse at this than us.

Dragon David

First Grade
..but so Flanagan like. How in gods name did we ever waste three years with Griffin.
The problem was Flanagan could not apply for the job because of his suspension. I am sure that if he was out of his suspension, he would have applied for the job. Once Griffin got the nod, Flanno had to wait until Hook was sacked. I'm not sure if Flanno would have been the coach after Hook was sacked if Ryles didn't do a 360 and walk away from the offer to coach us and we might be saying sack Ryles now.

Poor decisions by the Board to agree for Price, Mary and Hook to be our head coaches from 2012 - 2023. What a bloody shame.

..but so Flanagan like. How in gods name did we ever waste three years with Griffin.
Actually, our BOD are probably congratulating themselves RE Recruiting Griffin

Logic

Griffin coaches Broncos 2011-2014 – sacked -then Bennet gets them to Grand Final

Griffin coaches Panthers 2016-2019- sacked – then Cleary gets them to Grand final (2nd Yr)

Our BOD probably thinks it’s Griffin who laid the platform, but the reality is that Griffin's coaching style (or lack thereof) forces a club to stop penny pinching & buy a decent Coach.

Looking forward to Flanno taking the RED V to a grand final very soon 😊

Last edited:

justadragon

Bench
The problem was Flanagan could not apply for the job because of his suspension. I am sure that if he was out of his suspension, he would have applied for the job. Once Griffin got the nod, Flanno had to wait until Hook was sacked. I'm not sure if Flanno would have been the coach after Hook was sacked if Ryles didn't do a 360 and walk away from the offer to coach us and we might be saying sack Ryles now.

Poor decisions by the Board to agree for Price, Mary and Hook to be our head coaches from 2012 - 2023. What a bloody shame.
One thing that shows up here Dave, is that what was going on when Flanno was there as AC or in recruitment. How much was he over-ridden by either Mary or Hook or was it that he was just going to let them fall on their sword. He's there now as HC and its a vast new world.

justadragon

Bench

Bennett knew what he was doing when he recommended Chinless for HC, well thats one team I dont have to worry about would have been his thoughts.

Dragon David

First Grade
One thing that shows up here Dave, is that what was going on when Flanno was there as AC or in recruitment. How much was he over-ridden by either Mary or Hook or was it that he was just going to let them fall on their sword. He's there now as HC and its a vast new world.
Yes, it beggars belief that under both Mary and Hook, it was as if Flanno wasn't part of the team as the assistant coach because as we know both Mary and Hook were plain useless and I would think that by Flanno either not having any say in the way things could be better or just doing his bit as he was told to do, just let them fall on their swords so that he might have that chance to become the head coach one day. In any case, things are as they are now and I'm bloody glad that we have someone who can at long last just get us winning games.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
What a great start to the Flanno era. All the boys put in a great shift and to think they had 3 big guns in Sele, Lawrie and Luc out of this game. Saints have some serious depth in the forwards which is good to see.

There were far too many great players but the ones I would like to highlight are Liddle, Kyle, RFM and Zac. How important is Liddle going to be to the Saints. They need this guy to get as many games in as possible as his backup is noway near to his standard. RFM and Kyle played like they had a new lease of life. They seemed very happy and played their backsides off. Zac Lomax, come on mate, that was an expectational performance from a position you did not want to play. This is clearly Flanno's plan to unlock this guys protentional and it is working so far. Zac will eventually be in the centre as I can not see Bird being their for too long as in years from now. Plus Bird is very injury prone. Once he gets injured, he will find it hard to get back. Zac may have to do a Nighty and play anywhere in the 17 until he does so as it seemed to work well with Nighty who is now a legend to most fans.

People can write off the Saints and say they played a poor Titans team but it was a Hasler Titans team and Hasler's teams don't usually get smashed that much. Flanno bashed the Titans forwards and allowed the space for the magic to happen. Saints will give the opposition teams nightmares I feel like the Sharks did under Flanno. Saints will be the new bullies.

Dragon David

First Grade
Excellent Review !!!
A couple of my favourite tactical analysts of footy are Oscar Pannifex and Jason Oliver of rugbyleaguewriters.com

Well it looks like Oscar is doing some video stuff now and he's started with our Dragons in round 1. Worth a watch. (Certainly beats watching NRL 360)

A very good analysis of our tries against the Titans by Jason Oliver. Gee those tries on reflection were really great and I like how Jason describes how each player is doing his job.

Thanks Jason and of course Victoire.

TheRev

Coach
A couple of my favourite tactical analysts of footy are Oscar Pannifex and Jason Oliver of rugbyleaguewriters.com

Well it looks like Oscar is doing some video stuff now and he's started with our Dragons in round 1. Worth a watch. (Certainly beats watching NRL 360)
Help me with my curiosity... did Oscar & Jason do a deep-dive analysis of our attacking structure under Hook?

Super Owl

Juniors
He did get Dufty moving out the back of shape and hitting the winger with that long ball. Duff wasn't doing that before Flanno arrived - Barba-esque