What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

R14 MNF - Knights v Raiders *SPOILERS*

skeepe

Immortal
There was one moment more than any other that really annoyed the living crap out of me in that game. No, it wasn't the Tongue no try (even though it was a 100% legal try and Steve Clark is a f**king blind merkin who doesn't deserve simple rights like breathing), no it wasn't MacDougall's second try off an NFL-style pass (although again what the touchie was doing I really don't know).... it was a simple moment after a Raiders mistake.

Here's the situation: Alan Tongue drops the ball in one of his rare mistakes, and Lincoln Withers picks it up. Now, Withers was in front of Tongue, so naturally a penalty should occur, correct? And it did. Now, cast your mind back to earlier in the match... the first kick that Gidley fielded. As Gidley hits the defence, he drops the ball. George Carmont picks it up. Now, Carmont was in front of Gidley, so naturally a penalty should occur, correct? Wrong. Hayne sets a scrum with the feed to the Raiders.

Now, you tell me how the exact same referee gets two different calls from the exact same situation. THIS is what annoys me as a fan more than anything. Forget the emotional attachment to the result, NO fan at all should have to put up with these sort of lopsided decisions. No referee worth his salt would make them, and it actually shows a distinct lack of knowledge of the rules from a man who is supposed to be a top-line official.

Consistency between referees may be a difficult thing to achieve, but when one referee has two identical situations and makes two different calls... well you have to wonder, don't you?

lockyno1

Post Whore
Don't agree with you much skeepe but 100% well said. Inconsistency is a big problem with refs!

innsaneink

Referee
One of Gidleys errors was in goal wasnt it?

vCant really recall but blatant offsides are obvious and I dont recall an offside in either of them.

VictorTheViking said:
Like I said earlier in the thread, there are some graceful knights fans, but then theres the rats of the litter, the scummy dregs like this fool...
awwwwwwwwww never mind.but you all thought this zillman was the second coming..50 m is piss freakin funny.pity you werent grateful in your round 3 win.

skeepe

Immortal
innsaneink said:
One of Gidleys errors was in goal wasnt it?

vCant really recall but blatant offsides are obvious and I dont recall an offside in either of them.

I was talking about the first one... it was on about the 20 metre line I think, and Carmont was still coming back onside when Gidley dropped it.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Yep it was the first kick that Campese put in the match, Gidley dropped it Carmont picked it up in front of Kidley.

Walt Flanigan

Referee
Holla if ya hear me said:
awwwwwwwwww never mind.but you all thought this zillman was the second coming..50 m is piss freakin funny.pity you werent grateful in your round 3 win.

We all saw your first post saying exactly the same thing just 30 mins ago mate. It really isn't that funny. Did Zillman "Zip Zip" your misses or something?

just replying walt..and if thats some kind of english at the end of your post...??

50 m is freakin funny..in fact allll your back 3 got 50 m..bloody bludgers.made work hard for your forwards.

Stranger

Coach
skeepe said:
There was one moment more than any other that really annoyed the living crap out of me in that game. No, it wasn't the Tongue no try (even though it was a 100% legal try and Steve Clark is a f**king blind merkin who doesn't deserve simple rights like breathing), no it wasn't MacDougall's second try off an NFL-style pass (although again what the touchie was doing I really don't know).... it was a simple moment after a Raiders mistake.

Here's the situation: Alan Tongue drops the ball in one of his rare mistakes, and Lincoln Withers picks it up. Now, Withers was in front of Tongue, so naturally a penalty should occur, correct? And it did. Now, cast your mind back to earlier in the match... the first kick that Gidley fielded. As Gidley hits the defence, he drops the ball. George Carmont picks it up. Now, Carmont was in front of Gidley, so naturally a penalty should occur, correct? Wrong. Hayne sets a scrum with the feed to the Raiders.

Now, you tell me how the exact same referee gets two different calls from the exact same situation. THIS is what annoys me as a fan more than anything. Forget the emotional attachment to the result, NO fan at all should have to put up with these sort of lopsided decisions. No referee worth his salt would make them, and it actually shows a distinct lack of knowledge of the rules from a man who is supposed to be a top-line official.

Consistency between referees may be a difficult thing to achieve, but when one referee has two identical situations and makes two different calls... well you have to wonder, don't you?
IIRC, Carmont picked up the ball BEHIND kiddley. Doesn't matter if he was infront when kids touched the ball.

jamesgould

Juniors
skeepe said:
I was talking about the first one... it was on about the 20 metre line I think, and Carmont was still coming back onside when Gidley dropped it.

The ball rolled back behind the point where Gidley orignally dropped the ball. So although Carmont came from in front of him, it was not offside, as Gidley was in front of the ball by the time Carmont picked it up.

jamesgould

Juniors
Stranger said:
IIRC, Carmont picked up the ball BEHIND kiddley. Doesn't matter if he was infront when kids touched the ball.

Yeah, exactly. An incorrect decision by a ref on that ruling (ie. he awarded the penaly) decided the first golden point match, from memory!

innsaneink

Referee
See skeepe...always a simple explanation and if you take the time to check, in future you may not have "the living crap annoyed outta you" :lol:

skeepe

Immortal
It's a subjective view. I don't think the ball rolled back past the point where he dropped it.

DeeGan

Bench
Danny saved his best game of the week for Newcastle and not NSW - good news.

I hope he plays just as well at his Origin farewell in a couple of weeks.

Raider_69

Post Whore
You blokes are all on the gear

Terrible game of footy, Knights were ordinary, we were far worse. Buderus was the only player who showed some class in that game.

Kudos knights for the win.
We stink away from home... deadset rank!