What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

R16 - Australia vs Italy (Game 53)

Macca_

Coach
Kick off - 1am Tuesday EST

Putting this one up early. I think it's a pretty big game :D We best watch it.

We can get them. On penalties we go through!

Macca_

Coach
The winner of Ukraine vs Switzerland awaits us in the Quarter Final!!!

C'mon Socceroos, put in a big one!!!

Moffo

Referee
emerton, strejovski, kalac out

bresciano, aloisi, schwarzer in

basically i thiink italy suit australia. they are conservative, sit back and for mine are not particularly dangerous like brazil, netherlands, argies etc.... we have the attacking talent to worry any team, so even though Italy are great in defense, i think we can score at least one. If our defense is up to it, we will win!

Macca_

Coach
We just have to take our chances. Against the Italians there won't be a lot of them.

Bumble

First Grade
Macca_ said:
The winner of Ukraine vs Switzerland awaits us in the Quarter Final!!!

C'mon Socceroos, put in a big one!!!

If we win...You would think Switzerland will await. Senderos will mark Shevchenko and the rest aren't all that. I might add, the Swiss are the only team to not concede in the group stage.

Macca_

Coach
Yeah the Swiss are hard to break down. Sendo may be injured though now.

Lets not get to carried away though :D We got a 3-0 win coming over Italy :lol:

hybrid_tiger

Coach
Macca_ said:
We just have to take our chances. Against the Italians there won't be a lot of them.

Thats the key. We have to me more clinical in the final third of the park.

We will not win if we miss as many chances as we previously have been.

In any case, we will trouble the Italians with the style of play we employ.

FORZA AUSTRALIA!!!

morri (cWo)

First Grade
its gonna be huge. didnt realise we'd face ukraine or switz. a win here would mean semi finals IMO. dunno if it can be done.

willvillain

Juniors
Moffo said:
emerton, strejovski, kalac out

bresciano, aloisi, schwarzer in

I thought Sterjovski played very well against Croatia. I wasn't too keen on him starting before, but he'd definately be in my starting lineup Vs Italy.

Created a lot of chances, played tough on the wing, and gave that merkin Srna (I think? or possibly it was Babic) the sh*ts regularly.

Leave aloisi on the bench for his impact. The other two changes are givens though.

Hurriflatch

Referee
Win in a shootout after a 1-1 full time draw.

beeze past the Swiss or Ukranians for a Semi Final v Germany

2 True Blues

Coach

Weasels Ripped My Flesh said:
3 - 0 to Italy

Coming from the same bloke who said Aus had no chance of making Rd 2 this does not hold much water mate.....Or thinking about it, no water that does not contain a high quantity of piss content !!!!!!

Macca_

Coach
A thought just came to me as I was putting up the trhead for the Swiss/Ukraine game...

Game 53!!! Out of 64 and we are playing in it. Awesome stuff, lets get Aussies!

Macca_

Coach
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/column...=worldcup&cc=3436&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab2pos2
Aussie mind games
Derek Rae

So it's Guus Hiddink trying to plot Italy's downfall in the last sixteen of the World Cup. Ring any bells does it? Italian fans won't want to be reminded that Hiddink's fit, fearless South Korean side accounted for the Azzurri's elimination at this same stage four years ago. Is it unreasonable to think the resourceful Dutchman can repeat the trick with an Australian team, similarly pre-disposed to work their socks off, and perhaps technically superior to the 2002 co-hosts.

The Italians will be foolish indeed if they underestimate the mental fortitude of the Socceroos. Italy might have classier players, but are not generally greater than the sum of these gifted individual parts. Australia, on the other hand, have demonstrated that they can play above themselves, and even more importantly, respond positively to pressure-packed situations, such as against Uruguay in the qualifying decider, as well as against Japan and Croatia here in Germany.

The Hiddink factor can't be ignored. The Australian manager will have his players thoroughly prepared ahead of Monday's match in Kaiserslautern. A DVD of Italy's 1-1 draw against the USA will surely figure prominently during team gatherings at the Socceroos' plush Friedrichsruhe headquarters this weekend. It could be especially instructive.

Nervous, sloppy and totally devoid of a cutting edge against the Americans, Marcello Lippi's team allowed their battling opponents to get under their skin.

Australia, who for me, have more overall quality about them than the current US side, can be counted on to get in amongst their Italian opponents and perhaps sow seeds of doubt in Azzurri minds.

We've given up guessing what sort of team Hiddink will name. It would be a surprise indeed were Zeljko Kalac, jittery and clanger-prone the other night, to be retained. Mark Schwarzer might have his weaknesses, but he has been inspirational for Australia in recent times.

With Brett Emerton suspended, Hiddink might contemplate recalling Luke Wilkshire, who was used at right wing back in the opener against the Japanese. Other than that switch, it's hard to envisage wholesale changes. Marco Bresciano might justifiably have felt aggrieved to be left on the bench in the 2-2 draw with Croatia, yet there's strong evidence that the Parma man carries considerable punch as a second half substitute. The same thing possibly applies to John Aloisi and Josh Kennedy, both used to superb effect by Hiddink in the competition to date.

While Australia deservedly finished second in Group F - they outplayed Croatia for long spells in Stuttgart - the fact that silly mistakes were made is not lost on the urbane Hiddink.

Mark Viduka wasn't mentioned by name in the post-match media conference, but the Aussie boss was clearly unhappy with the negligence shown by his captain: a poor touch on the ball, was followed by the crude concession of a free-kick, which was majestically converted by Darijo Srna.

Similarly, Kalac's howler, failing to stop a weakish Nico Kovac shot, would very often be the difference between success and defeat in the World Cup context. Similar mistakes against the Italians, and elimination will be the inevitable result.

The way I see it, Australia have already 'won' their World Cup just by getting out of the group. When he sat with me in Eindhoven for an ESPN interview back in December, Hiddink called that 'the important second step.'

Is a third step forward now really a possibility?

It would take a brave man to predict that Italy, with all their international know how, will be sent packing on Monday night. But who in their right mind would count out this spirited, all-action Australian collective, managed by the finest tactician in world football.

Just like their country's popular green and gold clad fans, Australia's footballers are making friends wherever their German travels take them.

PB

Bench
My concern is that we have had difficulty breaking down the likes of Greece and Uruguay, two defence orientated teams. But having said that we contained both quite well (although Italy has more attacking flair than those two).

I think this will come down to who takes their chance when it presents itself. I don't think their will be many goal scoring opportunities for either side.

Our other big challenge will be to refocus having achieved our first goal - the second round.

Nuffs

Bench
ask any player and they will probably say that they'll take a 0-0 at full time

but the aussies have shown that they are going to go at the italians, and i know that i wont care if we get done in doing so

we can afford to push 5 up EVERY time we attack and still have 2 guys holding the middle

we just need a little bit of luck mixed with good play in front of goal to come out on top

but it's going to be tough. CARN AUSSIES!!!

PB

Bench
Just heard them say the referee tonight is the Spainiard we had for the Uruguay game. At least he wil be familiar with our style.

Latest posts