What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

R2 v Dolphins.

BLM01

First Grade
All eyes šŸ‘€ on the Dolphins and Cows this arvo. See how they measure up. Both, I feel, will offer more than the GC.
Regardless of both having some ordinary defence they certainly attack uptempo compared to the Titans and we have to win the middle or they score many tries and have many weapons
Got to say i love how Holmes puts his body on the line in hit ups for a winger / centre / fullback
I am hoping that Dolphins will be a bit shell shocked after that game and we should dig the knife in early
Cowboys will be tough even at home

BLM01

First Grade
Not a gambling man but I see Dolphins are currently favourites for this game. Value there. This is fine by me but I believe they will be lucky to have Stone or Lemeulu for the game and already missing Gilbert. Pretty sure Bromwich on report too and I saw Kenneth Bromwich cop a bad head knock although he seemed to stay on the field.

On the other hand we are getting impact players back so I will be tipping Dragons for sure.
Stone & Lemeulu out. They have good replacements in Wallace, Plath and one other forward whose name escapes me

maestro1

Bench
The media have already started with the motivation of the Dolphins and not doing us any favours. There is already a story calling the Dolphins pack "dad's army" and calling out a Bennett mistake in not recruiting younger players for his pack. Bromwich x 2, Flagler, and co. will be a different kettle of fish next weekend. But I have faith that Flanno will have a boys ready for the next challenge

2010Dragons

Bench
I believe Badger is seeing a different game to most this year and I shudder if she gets our game in the box.
I think she is out of form or out of touch ATM
Badger just like her hopeless husband Referee Gavin Badger is the worst NRL referee in 2024.
How was that a penalty try?
The ball took a right-hand turn bounce, and everyone overran the ball.
Hilarious to watch, just needed the Benny Hill soundtrack in the background.
As JT "said that was a GEE UP? "

Victoire

Juniors
Great problem to have. I cant remember the last time we had this kind of problem.
giphy.gif

GC Dragon

Juniors
Tough break from M Molo, he was terrific on the weekend. Ran over 100 metres coming of the bench and can be a link man too. Good problem I guess.
I Agree . Having watched M Molo play a lot for Norths in Brisbane he was a genuine ball playing prop . He could play before the line and through the line . Once he arrived at the Dragons just become a bash and barge forward . Even changed the way he carried the ball . The 2 games i have seen him play this year shows that Flanno has him playing with more skill . I think most would agree he looks a far better player this year .

justadragon

Bench
I Agree . Having watched M Molo play a lot for Norths in Brisbane he was a genuine ball playing prop . He could play before the line and through the line . Once he arrived at the Dragons just become a bash and barge forward . Even changed the way he carried the ball . The 2 games i have seen him play this year shows that Flanno has him playing with more skill . I think most would agree he looks a far better player this year .
The whole team looks like far better players, a bit of credit to Ryan Carr who at least lifted them a bit off the turf before Flanno took over.

Parko1310

Juniors
Luciano Leilua will be rushed straight back into the Dragonsā€™ side for his first match in new colours as coach Shane Flanagan prepares to unleash the clubā€™s biggest recruit of its new era.
Despite confounding early season predictions with a thumping win over the Titans in Flanaganā€™s first match in charge, the premiership-winning coach wonā€™t waste any time in bringing Leilua into the fold after he served a one-match ban for a drink driving offence.

ļ„Play Video
https://archive.md/CIZid#

Bennett confirms star's blood clot setback

Bennett confirms star's blood clot setback
Play video
0:24

Bennett confirms star's blood clot setback​

Dolphins coach Wayne Bennett has opened up on Tom Gilbert's issue after his ACL injury.
The 27-year-old hasnā€™t played an NRL match since September, but joined St George Illawarra last month after the Cowboys agreed to grant the Samoan international an early release from his deal in Townsville.
The NRL initially proposed Leilua serve a two-match ban for a low-range drink-driving charge after fronting a Townsville court earlier this year. Leilua did not notify North Queensland of the offence.

But the Dragons had the suspension halved on appeal, paving the way for Leilua to start his second stint at the club in a round-two clash against Wayne Bennettā€™s Dolphins.
He will then face the Cowboys the following week as the Dragons begin the season with three matches against Queensland sides.
Luciano Leilua will be rushed back into the Dragons side.

Luciano Leilua will be rushed back into the Dragons side.CREDIT:STUFF (NZ)
Leiluaā€™s return will be a welcome headache for Flanagan, who used Bulldogs recruit Ray Faitala-Mariner on an edge in their comprehensive win over Des Haslerā€™s Gold Coast.
Hame Sele (hamstring) and Blake Lawrie (ribs) will be monitored throughout the week as Flanagan hopes to continue the Dragonsā€™ positive start to the season.

ā€œItā€™s my first ever round one win,ā€ Faitala-Mariner said. ā€œIā€™ve noticed the boys are a tight group. Having Benny Hunt there and him taking Kyle Flanagan under his wing [has helped]. I thought Sloany [Tyrell Sloan] was good at the back.
ā€œOnce those boys have clarity in what theyā€™re doing, weā€™re just filling in our roles and staying in our lane.ā€

TheRev

First Grade
MMolo is a different mould to the others.. his shimmying footwork, he's getting the defender off balance, getting his body to fall into a gap, getting up quick for the next bloke to take advantage..

That said Lawrie/Frank/JDB/Sele I think is our prop rotation now.. but blokes get injured all the time.. and I think Fifita and MMolo are next in line.

Probably only thing letting MMolo down is he is rly short.. and I still think we are missing that massive bloke to smash opposition forwards and lead us against the big packs... but... Mick is an interesting proposition... but as I wrote in another post.. its going to be rly interesting to see what transpires contract-wise during the year, AlexT, MMolo, FMolo & Coric all finishing their contract, but we have a fleet of guys like Tonga, Stanley-Traill, Stewart, Latu & Ackers all part of our 30+6 next year.. 5 young props... we need to move a few on to even get them into the NSW Cup team..

kit66

Bench
I don't want to put the mockers on us but I have the Dolphins in the bottom 4 this year. They have some real strike power out wide but their forward pack don't have the size or impact of many other teams and Marshall-King has never been anything but very ordinary. I'm surprised they haven't trained Plath up as a replacement Hooker, great defence and some real skill. I hated his dad back in the day.
I believe Lemuelu, Stone and of course Gilbert will be unavailable which weakens their pack further. I'm sure Wallace will be rushed back in (why was he dropped ?) and we could possibly see Milford in the team as he played well against us in their win last year.
I think we improve further next week, with some tweaking from Flanno and some confidence not only from our Titans game but the boys will have watched the Cows demolish the Phins comprehensively. We have to get rid of all the errors though, they'll kill us eventually.
Lawrie and Luc in for BMM and MMolo - although I agree with others MMolo is pushing hard to stay in the 17.

Saints 11+

SAP58

Juniors
The whole team looks like far better players, a bit of credit to Ryan Carr who at least lifted them a bit off the turf before Flanno took over.
Saw Ryan Carr talking to the players in the dressing room after the game, they clearly get on very well with him & respect what he did at the end of last year. I hope he sticks around for a few years. All the coaches have played their part so far with our transformation & they should all be congratulated.

TheRev

First Grade
Saw Ryan Carr talking to the players in the dressing room after the game, they clearly get on very well with him & respect what he did at the end of last year. I hope he sticks around for a few years. All the coaches have played their part so far with our transformation & they should all be congratulated.
I guess the proof will be in the pudding next year, Shane basically had to take Ryan on in some capacity given he was in contract, but if he's still here next year there will be something in it... the other thing I always wonder is whether these blokes are better off coaching NSW Cup or better off being 1st grade assistants..

Last edited:

Latest posts