What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

R20 | Rabbitohs 52-6 Knights @ ANZ | Sat 7.30pm

Swarzey

Bench
Chances are you'll find a premiership winning side at our club than a game where Adam Reynolds doesn't put up a bomb that confuses the absolute f**k out of the back three at least once. His bombs are absolutely brilliant and really, as frustrating as it is, they're no different than plenty of wingers and fullbacks who have dropped them.

Joker's Wild

Coach
You know what I want? For the opposition to get into our 20 and for me to have the confidence in our side to keep them out

Instead I find myself praying that the opposition make an error because I know if they don't, they'll go in with a soft arse try

Too much to ask I guess

Swarzey

Bench
Expecting our defense to be better next year with a fit Mullo and Hodkinson in there. It seemed last night a lot of easy tries came around where Gidley and Roberts defended and neither are capable of making quick decisions in any area, especially defense. I thought we were slightly better in the middle with Clydsdale and Levi there. Just need to fix the edges.

Whats Doing

Bench
I reckon we need to fix pretty much the whole lot :lol:

That is correct.

You have a look at the defensive line and it is so crooked. Compare that the Broncs defensive line which is straight in each and every tackle for 80 minutes. The same applies to the kick and chase.

We are miles apart and the current difference in this key aspect of the game reflects where we respectively are on the ladder.

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
In 2013 for the second half of the year, we appeared like a well coached team. Outside of that it's been a good 5 years since we appeared competent.

Noname36

First Grade
Our defence is atrocious. Leading into this game I noticed we had the 6th best attack in the comp and yet we're right down the bottom and have one of the worst points differentials. Just shows how many points we let in.

I haven't felt confident in the team's ability to hold out the opposition since Brian Smith was coaching us.

Smith coaches players to be better. he has been at Wakefield for about a month and they have already looked likely. Trent Robinson learnt his trade under the man. Brian will never get the credit he deserves. He is not about being friends. I don't care what anyone says. I would take him back tomorrow. These players would know they are alive. it was that 71-6 hiding when he told players he was overhauling his roster. The day after. When Newton was told how shit he actually is.

Last edited:

Joker's Wild

Coach
There needs to be balance in a fg coach and Brian is too much of a prick. He would just cause new problems while fixing others

Joel-22

Juniors
It's funny, isn't it? How f**king rare a good coach seems to be. It's not quantum mechanics.
Take an interest in the players' health, happiness and interests, make it clear from the very beginning that there's no favouritism and that no one's spot is guaranteed in first grade, coach basic defence patterns and attacking plays, be open to feedback from the players & instil self-belief that if they follow what you say and get themselves in top-physical shape - they're going to win more games than they lose.

Des Hasler, Craig Bellamy and Wayne Bennett are probably the most consistent coaches and I would argue all three basically embody the attitude i described.

Noname36

First Grade
There needs to be balance in a fg coach and Brian is too much of a prick. He would just cause new problems while fixing others

Would never happen but I reckon Bellamy would be an excellent coach for us. Played his junior footy in the Newcastle comp so he has an understanding of the environment but he won't take any bullshit either.

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
Can we all just agree that it was Michael Hagan that f%cked up this club, just as he did for Parramatta?

Players learnt not to be accountable under him. I can see him talking to the boys after getting the 2005 wooden spoon and saying "Well done fellas,u didn't come last, instead u were the last winner'....

Swarzey

Bench
Absolutely. Some of this blame rests on Hagan too. He's the bloke who should be advising Stone in every area of the game and it's clear he's done none of his role. Hopefully the internal review is no holds barred and the club realises that he needs to be moved on too.

I would love a coach that doesn't need that sort of help; there's simply no room for Hagan at Newcastle or any other club.

mozza91

Coach
Can we all just agree that it was Michael Hagan that f%cked up this club, just as he did for Parramatta?

Players learnt not to be accountable under him. I can see him talking to the boys after getting the 2005 wooden spoon and saying "Well done fellas,u didn't come last, instead u were the last winner'....

Abit harsh about 2005 imo. We had the worst injury toll I've ever seen that season. Once we got Joey and others back we started playing some great footy.
He was a terrible coach though, some of his recriutment decisions still boggle the mind.

Latest posts