What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

R23 Titans

Mjab

Juniors
Presuming its true he is trying to get Woods a 2023 contract just says so so much about his utter lack of judgement…and we extend him ??
doesnt flanagan have a recruitment role so he is to blame also
id rather have J Hunt , but I dont rate him much either

justadragon

Bench
doesnt flanagan have a recruitment role so he is to blame also
id rather have J Hunt , but I dont rate him much either
Agree, I've only seen him a few times in ressies and he went ok, didnt get to see him bugger all in first grade so I dont know what to think of him.

kit66

Bench
Agree Dave, but I would still trial Sloan at centre and or wing, what have we got to lose, we would never know unless we trial these guys. I dont think Sloan will ever displace Ramsay and nor he shouldnt, but surely we dont want to be talking about where we might put him in future if we dont trial him in different positions, win or lose who cares at least we will know something/anything.

On Sloan and Ramsey, Sloan is the more skillful and will become a great Fullback with the vision to create and work with the halves. Ramsey's skills are adequate for fullback but really his speed and skillset would be better utuilized at wing or centre, he's dynamic and a good support player but you need more these days to be a modern fullback. I want both these guys in the team next year 100% but Sloan is easily my first choice fullback.

Hunt was our best in the Raiders game but Amone sure looked great snagging those 3 tries. As he builds, both physically and in experience he's going to be one of the best halves in the game - I hope it's with us for many years to come. It's a shame Bud's career has stalled through injury and lack of foresight from Hook & Co. If he isn't a regular fist grader next year I fear we'll lose him.

Last edited:

justadragon

Bench
On Sloan and Ramsey, Sloan is the more skillful and will become a great Fullback with the vision to create and work with the halves. Ramsey's skills are adequate for fullback but really his speed and skillset would be better utuilized at wing or centre, he's dynamic and a good support player but you need more these days to be a modern fullback. I want both these guys in the team next year 100% but Sloan is easily my first choice fullback.

Hunt was our best in the Raiders game but Amone sure looked great snagging those 3 tries. As he builds, both physically and in experience he's going to be one of the best halves in the game - I hope it's with us for many years to come. It's a shame Bud's career has stalled through injury and lack of foresight from Hook % Co. If he isn't a regular fist grader next year I fear we'll lose him.
Something is going on with Sloan that we dont know about, it was evident against the sharks that his game had not progressed, mind you I didnt think sending him in with 25min to go asking him to change the game did him any favours, he at least should have started. But he is still hesitant in many parts of his game, he cant be a fullback with those deficiencies, maybe they might change under a different coach but as for now its Ramsay every day of the week for me.

kit66

Bench
Something is going on with Sloan that we dont know about, it was evident against the sharks that his game had not progressed, mind you I didnt think sending him in with 25min to go asking him to change the game did him any favours, he at least should have started. But he is still hesitant in many parts of his game, he cant be a fullback with those deficiencies, maybe they might change under a different coach but as for now its Ramsay every day of the week for me.

Yeah there's something going on with Sloan - he's played just 4 games of 1st grade at fullback this year and 2 short stints off the bench. All up just 11 games in 2 years. 5 games last year (for 6 tries) and looking the goods and this year going backwards under Hook & Co. It's criminal what they're doing to this kid.

Old Timer

Coach
Sloan's deficiencies are equally evident in 1sts and reggies and TBH on that form it is hard to select him ahead of Ramsay if only the basis that Ramsey has improved and Sloan has not.

A saloon passage for good / flashy juniors is not how it should be & IMO they must earn their place and show the requisite basic fundamentals required for their position and in respect of FB's that is catch the high ball, tackle the attacking player, make sure you are there attempting to stop the try in cover defense and organise the defensive line from the back.

Sloan is clearly deficient in all of these aspects but of course can score or set up a flashy try ala Dufty and therefore attracts support in this forum.

His -'s far outweigh his +'s and he needs to turn that around to warrant selection ahead of Ramsey.

If he wants to be a 1st grade winger well he has to be fearless under the high ball, be able to hold up and / or bundle the opposition attacker into touch and be able to take the hit ups from the back field.

So when he consistently shows that in reggies then we know he has a future rather than think he does.

SBD82

Coach
Sloan's deficiencies are equally evident in 1sts and reggies and TBH on that form it is hard to select him ahead of Ramsay if only the basis that Ramsey has improved and Sloan has not.

A saloon passage for good / flashy juniors is not how it should be & IMO they must earn their place and show the requisite basic fundamentals required for their position and in respect of FB's that is catch the high ball, tackle the attacking player, make sure you are there attempting to stop the try in cover defense and organise the defensive line from the back.

Sloan is clearly deficient in all of these aspects but of course can score or set up a flashy try ala Dufty and therefore attracts support in this forum.

His -'s far outweigh his +'s and he needs to turn that around to warrant selection ahead of Ramsey.

If he wants to be a 1st grade winger well he has to be fearless under the high ball, be able to hold up and / or bundle the opposition attacker into touch and be able to take the hit ups from the back field.

So when he consistently shows that in reggies then we know he has a future rather than think he does.
I reckon we should turn him into a ball playing Lock.

possm

Coach
Presuming its true he is trying to get Woods a 2023 contract just says so so much about his utter lack of judgement…and we extend him ??
I'd say the hiring of those has been forwards has more to do with the lack of first-grade ready forward depth in our pathways program. I doubt that any of these forwards are being paid much at all. Most probably all on minimum salary. However, they block young players' development, even those we recruit rather than promote.

possm

Coach
I reckon we should turn him into a ball playing Lock.
Sloan's defense is not up to scratch. I say he would be better suited to five-eight rather than fullback or lock. Amone has a better chance in the lock or center position. We should test Sloan, Amone, Lomax and Ramsey in alternate positions during the off-season. My preferred line up for these players would be:

1. Lomax
4. Ramsey
6. Sloan
7. Sullivan
9. Hunt
13. Amone

In the off-season, send this combination overseas and interstate on promotional tours. Include fitness and ball work training on the go.

Such a tour would win back some of the fans we have lost from outside our catchment area and give our fans something to follow in the off-season.

With new coaching/fitness staff, such a tour could do wonders for the squads morale and comradery.

SBD82

Coach
Sloan's defense is not up to scratch. I say he would be better suited to five-eight rather than fullback or lock. Amone has a better chance in the lock or center position. We should test Sloan, Amone, Lomax and Ramsey in alternate positions during the off-season. My preferred line up for these players would be:

1. Lomax
4. Ramsey
6. Sloan
7. Sullivan
9. Hunt
13. Amone

In the off-season, send this combination overseas and interstate on promotional tours. Include fitness and ball work training on the go.

Such a tour would win back some of the fans we have lost from outside our catchment area and give our fans something to follow in the off-season.

With new coaching/fitness staff, such a tour could do wonders for the squads morale and comradery.
Nah. Sloan is definitely better off at 13. I reckon we should play JDB at 6. That will sort out the defensive issues on the edge.

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
Yeah there's something going on with Sloan - he's played just 4 games of 1st grade at fullback this year and 2 short stints off the bench. All up just 11 games in 2 years. 5 games last year (for 6 tries) and looking the goods and this year going backwards under Hook & Co. It's criminal what they're doing to this kid.
Maybe it’s criminal what he’s doing to himself? I’m not praising the coaching staff. But the kid has had a couple of opportunities this year and has failed dismally. Maybe if he actually played decent in first grade he’d be given more of a chance.

mickeylane

Bench
Have you changed your mind about the Roosters yet?RIP?
Yes I actually underestimated Robinson as a coach...kudos to him of gettimg the team to the semis...they were dead ducks 4 weeks ago...he shifted his best player to 6 and it made all the difference...our f**kwit wont move our best player to 9 to make the difference to our team...

mickeylane

Bench

Hunt was our best in the Raiders game but Amone sure looked great snagging those 3 tries. As he builds, both physically and in experience he's going to be one of the best halves in the game - I hope it's with us for many years to come. It's a shame Bud's career has stalled through injury and lack of foresight from Hook % Co. If he isn't a regular fist grader next year I fear we'll lose him.
Actually Ramsay would be a great outside centre...but wont happen should be the right winger and Sloan FB w Rava the oter winger or a new winger bought in...

justadragon

Bench
I agree, its just such a hard call on what to do with him, I also agree with some of the comments made by OT and others about Sloan, but atm its just such a mess with juniors under hooks guidance, yes ramsay , amone and faegai, are improving but would another coach with better strategy and communicator for the young ones have improved them a lot quicker, including sloan and sullivan. I assume now they are probably at a loss of where they would fit into the team, especially after Hunt's comments. Look at the end of the day then if neither are capable of making it in the NRL then so be it, BUT you would want to have explored every possible coaching option there is prior to letting them go. It would be a HUGE call cutting them loose and watching them flourish somewhere else. I would just about stop supporting the Dragons if that happened.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Checking if I can throw in Ben Hunt 40/20....one of three good players, Titans yeah that Shyte team with a syhte coach will beat you.

You are crap. Just beat Manly. FFS.

Latest posts