What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

R3 v Cowboys

Dragon David

First Grade
Flanno says in the press conference that the RFM bombed try was the turning point. In a pure scoreboard sense he's right. We lost 42 to nil in the next 43 minutes, conceding 7 tries in that period. That's a try conceded every six minutes. But it's actually much worse than that, because 11 and a half minutes of that 43 minutes were taken up by conversion attempts and getting the ball back to halfway for the kick off. So it's more like 7 tries in 32 minutes. So, yeah, he's right that the socre goes from 18-4 to 18-46 very quickly after the missed try.

But there is no reason why bombing a try leads to you concede 7 tries in 43 minutes. In fact, I have seen many bombed tries (in fact nearly every bombed try I've ever seen) that are not followed by such capitualtions. It seems to me that Flanno is either delusional or he is trying to delude his players and the general public. I think this is very dangerous. Bombed tries are not that bad. The relevant difference between Panthers and Titans is not in bombed tries. The Panthers win so many games for the same reason they lost 8-0 to Melbourne when their attack wasn't good: it's because of their defence.

In many ways this was a worse performance than the Dolphins game. The Dolphins were more ruthless than the Cowboys were. The Cowboys were a bit loose. Against the Dolphins we conceded 48.89 meters per set (poor). Against the Cowboys this was 52.46.

Apparently, Flanno said at the member's function last week after the Dolphins loss that "it won't happen again". It did.
...and it will again and again, I'm afraid. Words mean nothing in reality of where this club is at with rugby league. The players we have really don't have much going for them. They are trying their hearts out I know but as Hunt said in his interview what he said to them on the field didn't really matter. Just goes in one ear and out the other without a thought as to what Benny said and kept on doing the wrong things.

I have a feeling that our players are still not fit and resilient enough for the tough grind of playing tough footy every week. The energy needed takes a lot out of players so Flanno needs to look at how the guys recover and how they are mentally after these games and with these massive losses. Both of these things require some hard thought and resolution quickly. The psychy of each player after these losses will have to be sorted and they have to acknowledge that they will be playing tough footy for the rest of this year so they need to accept that and there are no easy games.

SBD82

Coach
...and it will again and again, I'm afraid. Words mean nothing in reality of where this club is at with rugby league. The players we have really don't have much going for them. They are trying their hearts out I know but as Hunt said in his interview what he said to them on the field didn't really matter. Just goes in one ear and out the other without a thought as to what Benny said and kept on doing the wrong things.

I have a feeling that our players are still not fit and resilient enough for the tough grind of playing tough footy every week. The energy needed takes a lot out of players so Flanno needs to look at how the guys recover and how they are mentally after these games and with these massive losses. Both of these things require some hard thought and resolution quickly. The psychy of each player after these losses will have to be sorted and they have to acknowledge that they will be playing tough footy for the rest of this year so they need to accept that and there are no easy games.
What did Hunt say? Do you have a link?

since77

Juniors
Harsh but true .

Harsh because I ( and Im sure you and most here ) are fed up with the mediocrity and lack of direction of our team, but true in that Flanno has inherited pretty much the same roster that have avoided the spoon as some prize.

It's a free hit this season for the coach, NOT the players. I would like to see major changes in 25 and beyond, starting with players that want to don the Red V.

Have a feeling now that this will be a rollercoaster of a season.
Yep!
Yup but its not just the coaches either.. its the consequence of an apathetic board that sat on their hands basically 'hoping' that if they extended struggling coaches.. that 'consistency' would somehow lead to them making great recruitments.. all with woeful recruitment managers too.. it was so lazy.. you cant get away with that in such an elite competition...

There was a time not that long ago where we had 5-6 rep players (Vaughan, Sims, Frizzell etc), but that roster has been left to rot.. if you dont maintain it... its gone.. now we have try to somehow turn it around 1 very small piece at a time.. its going to be so difficult.. maybe even impossible..

And the final part is the juniors which we have really struggled to bring along for as long as I can remember.. I am hoping we have turned the corner here.. I think a lot of those SG signings pre-date Flanno, but this takes time to be of any use to 1st-grade... I am hoping maybe 1 or 2 surprise packets come thru next year.. but we have to get there first.
Absolutely. This is a mess that 12 years of shameful incompetence by those fat cat a$$holes on the board has created. Makes my blood boil. We're digging ourselves out of one heck of a self inflicted hole.

justadragon

Bench
Depends on what your expectations for 2024 were. If you expected the team to be finals bound in year one under Flanno then you were foolishly optimistic. If you expected the team to make a slow gradual improvement as 2024 progresses then you'll probably find your expectations will be met by the end of the season.
2025 will be the year to start having "optimistic" expectations, even if that is just playing the first week of finals.
Did you honestly think the mess the board, McGregor & Griffin left the club in would be an easy fix?
Trust me my expectations were not set that high, not after being burnt over the years. All I was expecting was not the wooden spoon or bottom 4. The last 2 weeks has shown me that there is still a lot wrong with the team and the club, the juniors seem to be getting their act together. Also from what i saw of Parra and Manly today the cows wont be the last team to do a number on us, and i think next game we will be put to the sword. I was also hoping that there would be a lot of pride shown at our home games, i was embarrassed enough at the Gong last year. I'll be there next week and if its another shit show it will be my last for the year, enough is enough and it just comes down to a waste of time and money.

Last edited:

BLM01

First Grade
Trust me my expectations were not set that high, not after being burnt over the years. All I was expecting was not the wooden spoon or bottom 4. The last 2 weeks has shown my that there is still a lot wrong with the team and the club, the juniors seem to be getting their act together. Also from what i saw of Parra and Manly today the cows wont be the last team to do a number on us, and i think next game we will be put to the sword. I was also hoping that there would be a lot of pride shown at our home games, i was embarrassed enough at the Gong last year. I'll be there next week and if its another shit show it will be my last for the year, enough is enough and it just comes down to a waste of time and money.
Ill be there and I have my seat for the 6 games. No use walking away we paid the money anyway. Ill be there regardless because I can see subtle positive change and willing to not worry this year as I had no real expectations of anything but avoiding the spoon.

Was away for the weekend but did catch some of the match live. Boy did we play brilliantly...for 20 minutes. You cant win games of footy when you BOMB 3 tries. How close were we to one or two others, such as Lomax failing to gather a bomb. Two massive boo boos by the sook, failing to drop out 10 metres then tackling a bloke without the ball, cost us when we were still holding our own. Only three of our pack reached 100m, Luc Leilua (104), our 'heart and soul' Jack DB (110) and Blake Lawrie (146). Again our middle defense let us down. We need more intent in the tackle. More work from Deano. When we had the leather we did not do enuff, with poor efforts again by Eisenhuth, Mariner and Masila.

Last edited:

Illusion

Bench
This has to Flanagans 17 going forward.
  • Sloan
  • Finau
  • Suli
  • Lomax
  • Rava
  • Flanagan
  • Hunt
  • F. Molo/Fifita
  • Liddle
  • Lawrie
  • Su'a
  • RFM/Luch
  • JDB

• Luch/RFM
  • Bird/Marschke
  • Toby Couchman
  • Fifita/F Molo
Could also try Marschke at 6 and young Flanno and Liddle sharing 9 ....... but wont happen ........ Nothing to lose here because we are losing anyway ......... Anyway , won't make any difference who plays at 6 because Hunt wants to do everything ........ I am over his mid field bombs that have no purpose at all , same thing same result every time , BANANAS ........... Give someone else a go .........

Illusion

Bench
Ill be there and I have my seat for the 6 games. No use walking away we paid the money anyway. Ill be there regardless because I can see subtle positive change and willing to not worry this year as I had no real expectations of anything but avoiding the spoon.
You might as well you never know you might get some enjoyment and they do have some good games ........

Could also try Marschke at 6 and young Flanno and Liddle sharing 9 ....... but wont happen ........ Nothing to lose here because we are losing anyway ......... Anyway , won't make any difference who plays at 6 because Hunt wants to do everything ........ I am over his mid field bombs that have no purpose at all , same thing same result every time , BANANAS ........... Give someone else a go .........
Something has to be done. What happened to the Flanno jr who in the trial looked a million bucks against the Tigers, ( won big yesterday) when he unleashed our dangerous left edge to go on a rampage. We had super structure that day. Nothing since which is baffling. Flanno sr needs to reintroduce this as plan A.

Last edited:
Was away for the weekend but did catch some of the match live. Boy did we play brilliantly...for 20 minutes. You cant win games of footy when you BOMB 3 tries. How close were we to one or two others, such as Lomax failing to gather a bomb. Two massive boo boos by the sook, failing to drop out 10 metres then tackling a bloke without the ball, cost us when we were still holding our own. Only three of our pack reached 100m, Luc Leilua (104), our 'heart and soul' Jack DB (110) and Blake Lawrie (146). Again our middle defense let us down. We need more intent in the tackle. More work from Deano. When we had the leather we did not do enuff, with poor efforts again by Eisenhuth, Mariner and Masila.
Many, many football games have been won by teams that have bombed three tries.

On the other hand, I cannot remember a team letting in 7 tries in 40 minutes and going on to win.

It's OK to make mistakes. No player tries to drop the ball etc., but t's going to happen.

It's not OK to be lazy on kick chase and first few defensive plays, etc.. Lack of effort is DELIBERATE and inexcusable.

Hunt wants to do everything ........ I am over his mid field bombs that have no purpose at all , same thing same result every time , BANANAS ........... Give someone else a go .........
Spot on mate. The media and comms RAVE about his kicking game. As you say his mid field bombs dont apply pressure as they are usually too long, while his deep kicks rarely finds space to allow our attack to get good field position. He does, tho have a neat short kicking game. Dont too do plenty of other potential replacements.

Last edited: