What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

R3 v Cowboys

You cant win games of footy when you BOMB 3 tries.
The thing that burned us most was next set after those three bombers they scored scored three of their own, which showed a lack of mental strength and killed our confidence. Flanagan and our attack coach need to rectify this pronto. Also does the club employ a head doc to tackle this apparent mental fragility.

Last edited:

Illusion

Bench
The thing that burned us most was next set after those three bombers they scored scored three of their own, which showed a lack of mental strength and killed our confidence. Flanagan and our attack coach need to rectify this pronto. Also does the club employ a head doc to tackle this apparent mental fragility.
I think the club should run free Mental Health Doctor for us suffering supporter , can't take too much more of this .........

How long have you supported the Red V. Moir since the 60s. I was just 5 when my Dragons tragic father took my older brother and I to see the 1966 GF, our last win of an incredible golden era. Some joy during the 70s, but so much anguish since.
You were lucky!
My Dad took me to see the 1985 grand final when I was 9. All I remember seeing is Glenn Burgess jumping up to catch bombs in the in goal area and then getting smashed. In those days that meant a repeat set to the Dogs. They changed the rule after that game!

matPORTS

Juniors
I was distracted by the F1 all weekend (glad to see a result that the sport desperately needed), and didn't intently watch the game. But will attempt to summarise.

The ugly - 42 unanswered points in the space of 40mins of gameplay... that is just unacceptable, but better its happening in round 3, with a chance to correct the issues, because we can't afford for it to be happening in round 23 !

The bad - RFMs bombed try... the difference between our heads going down and the same thing possibly happening to the Cowboys. If it goes to 24-4 in our favour there, we go back down to the northern end for a restart (instead of conceding a try) and the game has a totally different complexion about it.

The good - we will hopefully have Su'a, F Molo, Liddle and Sele back on board next time out.

I understand, and quite rightly, that a lot of people are frustrated given the glimmer of hope that we got during round one. This team has a long way to go, unfortunately, before it is anything that remotely resembles a good footy side (let alone the great footy side that this supporter base traditionally commands).

I wrote in the Flanno thread that he'll be judged by his ability to bounce the team back after defeats like that against the Dolphins. Looking at the way we came out of the blocks on the weekend, and the fact that we had some significant cattle on the sidelines, I may just be prepared to give a half tick (but there will only be so many of those we can give out).

I also wrote that their will be a judgement around recruitment, retention and internal promotions. So far, not prepared to give any ticks and maybe worthy of a half-cross. Working backwards to front;

Marschke & V Fifita have potential, but need more runs on the board. At least at this stage, if we're dreaming and thinking that we might be in a Grand Final by 2030 - I don't see either of these guys in our squad that day.

Retention wise, I'm concerned about what the future holds for Lomax - there is no doubt that he is more involved and sees the footy in his hands more often in his current role, which isn't that of a traditional winger, but Jack Bird may also be on the outer sooner rather than later which will make Zac a lot happier (I don't see Flanno caving into this one easily though).

Recruitment wise - unless we can start stringing some wins together and being more resilient in the games we do lose (certainly hasn't been that way the last two weeks), then we are going to find it very hard in the open market unless we are prepared to pay well over the odds (which we don't have an historical track record of doing either).

Last edited:
Being at the game i noticed the clear speed advantage Cowboys had over our outside backs. Dearden is quicker than our centres and wingers. Bird has to play utility, Lomax to centre and Finau on the wing. Need more speed in our backline. If only Ramsay was available this year to play wing that would've been perfect. Hopefully Sua, Sele, F. Molo and Liddle are all available next week. The team needs changes

Mitty266

Juniors
Rav
What I don't understand is how half of our team seem to get to first grade and can't do things that, I'm not even joking, under 6 players can do. How Sloan doesn't ground that ball in the in goal, I mean come on mate, do you want to stay in the NRL? Ravalawa can't pass a ball.. seriously? A lot of players don't have the aptitude to pull off a simple draw and pass is another example. Its truly astonishing
Ravalawa trying to shield the high ball instead of going up for it lets in a try instead. What’s the thought process with some of these decisions…?

RedVee

First Grade
Yes, Matt Elliott.
Plus someone else on call

I think Rava misses Lomax. That combination will spur Rav on.
Sure - Rava will always have brain farts but with Lomax, they worked in tandem. Rava is lost without Lomax - he instinctively shields bombs for Lomax to catch (But he aint there)

2022 Dragons’ right side defence only conceded 28 tries, while only 12 of those came through the sideline where Lomax and Mikaele Ravalawa defended, equalling the Panthers as the most efficient in the competition.

I'm just pointing out what was. These two compliment each others strengths

One thing i don't think has been mentioned much was our atrocious kicking game.We never ever threatened their receiver when we did long kicks, yet they were right there for basically every catch we did. We did do a few midfield bombs which were useless, but we never got to contest the ball basically the whole match. Surely a change in kicking plans could be done when you see its not working. The same with kickoffs-always identical. This is what reminded me of all our previous years-an inability to change a plan when you see its not working. Hopefully Flanno can change this-the same as Lomax taking every 2nd tackle with no intention of passing it. If you can see it from the stands,im sure the opposition can see it too

TheRev

First Grade
Although I do agree that Hunt doesnt seem to find the grass often with his kicks (and surely this comes up in the video reviews), I think he is under pressure due to our poor sets more often than not.

The other thing is I think its a ploy to kick to Lomax every time, let him work out of his corner and he is far less of a threat when it comes to catching attacking bombs.. he is doing so much work.. it could also be that they see lomax/bird as much less of a linebreak threat versus suli/rava..

Dragon David

First Grade
What has to be addressed is the poor defence of our players. Dean Young needs to come up with measures to improve our defence greatly. As Flanno has said there is just a lack of resilience to back up and tackle effectively. This is where we lose games. Our lead of 18-4 on Saturday wasn't that large but the team just didn't defend that lead once Mariner bombed the certain try. The players became disappointed and didn't refocus on defending for the balance of the first half and even worse in the second half.