What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

R3 v Cowboys

steerlerbab

Juniors
The Cows would have beaten any team with that much possession. 28 extra tackles were gifted them from bombed tries and a 7 tackle 20 metre restarts. That is a 54 tackle turnaround.
Cannot give any team more possession. We are not a good enough team/squad that can win with less ball. Teams with freaks can manage that. We really don't have a Manu, Walsh, Latrell, Chrichton type that can score freakish tries to keep us in games. We need to grind teams into the ground to win. Unfortunately the Dolphins and Cows did that to us. It is no secret that the game plan to not let STGI beat you is to make minimal mistakes. Even the Titans did it to us in round 1 in the first half. Then Brian Kelly spilled a ball and we scored immediately after that. The Tits made another error straight after that and we scored again.
Yes, in the era of 7 tackles and tackle count restarts, having more possession is key to victory. Let's look at some other games:
Tigers - Sharks (53%- 47%)
Roosters - Rabbits (53%-47%)
Panthers - Broncos (53%-47%)
There maybe odd game that a team wins with less possession.

TheRev

First Grade
Yes, in the era of 7 tackles and tackle count restarts, having more possession is key to victory. Let's look at some other games:
Definitely, and this has become even harder for us due to the short-dropoffs.. its such a momentum shift.. I mentioned in my Titans review.. the dominance was really only possible as we caught almost all of them...

Possession is obviously super important. Obviously, you can only score when you have the ball. Also, the team without the ball has to work harder. Once they are under heavy fatigue the other team starts to dominate.

But we didn't lose the possession battle due to errors or penalties- we made 2 extra errors, we got 3 extra penalties, and had equal restarts- we lost the possession battle mostly because we had to keep kicking off to them after they scored! So the possession stats in this game are as much a symptom of our bad defence as they are a cause of the final scoreline. Also, the fact that there were 12 tries in this game means that there were 12 periods where our players got to rest for 90 seconds to 2 minutes. So the lack of possession shouldn't cause as much fatigue as in a low scoring game.

BLM01

First Grade
Possession is obviously super important. Obviously, you can only score when you have the ball. Also, the team without the ball has to work harder. Once they are under heavy fatigue the other team starts to dominate.

But we didn't lose the possession battle due to errors or penalties- we made 2 extra errors, we got 3 extra penalties, and had equal restarts- we lost the possession battle mostly because we had to keep kicking off to them after they scored! So the possession stats in this game are as much a symptom of our bad defence as they are a cause of the final scoreline. Also, the fact that there were 12 tries in this game means that there were 12 periods where our players got to rest for 90 seconds to 2 minutes. So the lack of possession shouldn't cause as much fatigue as in a low scoring game.
I agree with all that but you underestimate the fatigue that continual defence causes physically or mentally rest or not

BLM01

First Grade
How do they say he didn’t have downward pressure. This rule for me is bullshit. I remember it cost us from dufty once doing the same thing. If the ball is on the ground and you have a hand/finger to it it should be considered grounded. Otherwise what is the exact velocity of force needed to be considered‘downward pressure’, or is it just made up on the day by the bunker
I am bias on the day as anyone to ted snd white
Sloan did not ground it as he slipped in reaching out unfortunately and I called that in the bunker review
They got that decision tight

TheRev

First Grade
I don’t know the Titans was an anomaly
We seem the worst team in trying to get the ball back, doing dropouts or receiving
yep thats what im trying to say.. it was a rare day where Lomax caught most of them.. and we may not have had the solid win if we had of turned over possession again and again.

Be nice to have 1 more athletic bloke in the mix, 1 on each side.. and I feel like tap backs should be on the cards also, rather than taking a contested bomb which is always dangerous.

Last edited:

Mojo

Bench
How do they say he didn’t have downward pressure. This rule for me is bullshit. I remember it cost us from dufty once doing the same thing. If the ball is on the ground and you have a hand/finger to it it should be considered grounded. Otherwise what is the exact velocity of force needed to be considered downward pressure’, or is it just made up on the day by the bunker
I distinctly recall a try being awarded against us a couple of years ago where the ball had been clearly dropped but the try scorers little finger was still in contact with it when it touched the ground and it was actually called that way by the bunker. There's always been controversy in referee's calls in RL but some of them are just so open to inconsistent interpretations. They create new absurd rules every year but they forever ignore some of these really rubbery ones.

Last edited:

Mojo

Bench
yep thats what im trying to say.. it was a rare day where they came off.. and we may not have had the solid win if we hadn't.

Be nice to have 1 more athletic bloke in the mix, 1 on each side.. and I feel like tap backs should be on the cards also, rather than taking a contested bomb which is always dangerous.
I hate short drop outs. They're just plain dumb football IMO.

Mojo

Bench
I hate the drop-offs, and not just cause we're bad at it.. it discourages going for repeat sets, it makes possession more of a 50/50 AFL or Rugby lineout style thing.. I dont see how thats interesting to league viewers..
I understand the theory but it rarely works. To compound the inherent 'gamble' they do this bs of flirting with the sideline and the ten metre line. It's like playing Russian roulette; especially if you've got a very average kicker, some relatively short outside backs that can't jump and struggle to catch a ball at the best of times and a bunch of nackered defenders. Don't forget it's always after some torrid line defence and / or the start of a repeat set.

A good kicker can drop kick a ball 50+ metres. Drill the damn thing and put a really strong chase on it!

Mojo

Bench
Who the bloody hell started the damn things anyway and whatever club it was they must be masters at it now.
Nobody has mastered it because it's pretty much pure chance. If it succeeds you look like a genius; if it fails you look like a drongo - just like all other gambles.

TheRev

First Grade
Sorry I forgot to mention.. the idea being that the NRL is trying to reduce the impact of that first charge off a kickout.. where so many concussions happen.. but there are other ideas they could take, i dont like this one..

Dragon David

First Grade
I understand the theory but it rarely works. To compound the inherent 'gamble' they do this bs of flirting with the sideline and the ten metre line. It's like playing Russian roulette; especially if you've got a very average kicker, some relatively short outside backs that can't jump and struggle to catch a ball at the best of times and a bunch of nackered defenders. Don't forget it's always after some torrid line defence and / or the start of a repeat set.

A good kicker can drop kick a ball 50+ metres. Drill the damn thing and put a really strong chase on it!
That has been the way for years and has better percentages rather than trying your Roulette luck at kicking the 10 metres, not kicking out on the full, not giving the opposition back the ball close to the try line etc.

since77

Juniors
Whilst we are talking about shit rules, I hate the strip rule. You can be fighting with 3 guys 2 back out and the other strips the ball, what a farce.
I'll tell you what I absolutely hate about that rule is that the stripping action always starts when there is 2 or more players still involved in the tackle. Then once one of them almost has the ball the other defenders drop off and you're left with the BS of a "one on one" strip. We were the victim of one a week or two ago.
The rule should apply to when the stripping action actually starts.
Or even better, should only apply when there has only ever been one man involved in the tackle.

maestro1

Bench
I distinctly recall a try being awarded against us a couple of years ago where the ball had been clearly dropped but the try scorers little finger was still in contact with it when it touched the ground and it was actually called that way by the bunker. There's always been controversy in referee's calls in RL but some of them are just so open to inconsistent interpretations. They create new absurd rules every year but they forever ignore some of these really rubbery ones.
Was that magic round against the Titans and Jermaine Isaako was playing for the Titans. It was a wet night and he scored in the corner after losing the ball as he was grounding it but it was ruled he got a finger nail to the ball and scored.
That same night Lomax's legs were taken out from under him as he was trying to kick a field goal to win us the game. The taking of the legs was a thing the NRL was clamping down on all year, but you guessed it, that night it was deemed ok, no penalty from in front.

It's always a rule until that rule is going to win the Dragons the game, then they find some dumb explanation why it wasn't given.

But I have a thought that you don't want to be playing a QLD team on Magic Round. You will not even get the 70/30 calls.

SGMax

Juniors
Was that magic round against the Titans and Jermaine Isaako was playing for the Titans. It was a wet night and he scored in the corner after losing the ball as he was grounding it but it was ruled he got a finger nail to the ball and scored.
That same night Lomax's legs were taken out from under him as he was trying to kick a field goal to win us the game.
I thought it was the game against the Cowboys (3 years ago??), last round of the season....Cowboys player had the ball rolling down his hand as he was placing it in the corner.
Clearly the ball was lost but because the ball was still in contact with his fingers as he forced it,, it was awarded..
It put Cowboys in the lead and the Dragons needed to win to get in the Finals.

Just shows these things against the dragons are not isolated cases...we cop it often in many different positions..

Latest posts