What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

R3 v Cowboys

BLM01

First Grade
I'll tell you what I absolutely hate about that rule is that the stripping action always starts when there is 2 or more players still involved in the tackle. Then once one of them almost has the ball the other defenders drop off and you're left with the BS of a "one on one" strip. We were the victim of one a week or two ago.
The rule should apply to when the stripping action actually starts.
Or even better, should only apply when there has only ever been one man involved in the tackle.
I hate the
1. farce that is the ruck and play the balls rolling between the legs no foot, moving off the mark or to the side or pushing markers to get quick play the balls. All let go why?. In the name of speeding up the game and entertainment because of the wrestle which is policed a bit better now.
2. Off side when defending try line is another not policed.
3. The obvious moving and stopping to protect catchers of a bomb which we suck at
4. And against probably most I hate the captains challenge which ruins the moment or purposely slows the game near the last 10 mins when they are not that worried about it losing it cause refs let the game flow more.

Mojo

Bench
I thought it was the game against the Cowboys (3 years ago??), last round of the season....Cowboys player had the ball rolling down his hand as he was placing it in the corner.
Clearly the ball was lost but because the ball was still in contact with his fingers as he forced it,, it was awarded..
It put Cowboys in the lead and the Dragons needed to win to get in the Finals.

Just shows these things against the dragons are not isolated cases...we cop it often in many different positions..
It was either Manly or the Titan’s we were playing. It was on the Gold Coast. The attacking player was tackled by about four of our forwards, short of the line, his ball carrying arm reached out (backwards), he lost the ball but the bunker call was he had a finger tip on it and a try was awarded. Even the other sides supporters burst out laughing.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
I feel that the Bunker and 6 agains were brought in to massage the result if needed. The blatant inconsistency should be enough proof of that. What gets me is if Annesley comes out and says the bunker got it wrong and it was blatant, whoever is involved should be dropped from all refereeing roles for a least 2 weeks. If it is a decision that decides a result dropped for 4 weeks. It will them ensure the correct decision is made. Now the bunker can screw up and there are no repercussions.

In saying that Annesley also is becoming a joke. To come out on Monday and say that the Administration believes that May should be charged is a joke. It was a head clash? Isn't it his role to decide if the correct decision is made? Who is this administration? Also there were other head clashes on the weekend. Why were they not given the same attention as the NRL Pinup boy Reece Walsh?

Slippery Morris

First Grade
You can blame me for the loss. I was at the game and when we went up 18-4 I changed seats. After that it went down hill. What a disaster.

It was good being back at Kogarah and was beginning to look like a special day with an unlikely win against a potential top 4 side. Unfortunately it ended as a complete train wreck.

When you go to the legends bar and have Mat Elliot and Jeremy Lattimore there as legends you think wow, surely there are better ex-players than that available. No offence to those 2 s they are great fellas but geez, having Nighty, Coops, Gaz, Creagh, Soward anyone from the 2010 or 1999 teams actually. Then I went to the club after the game and sat in the bistro. wtf? I thought I was in the 1970's. The guy that looks like Ron Jeremy was at reception who was probably there from 1970. I have not been there for a while as I live far. The place is a so outdated it is embarrassing compared to clubs like Panthers and Bulldogs clubs. That really showed to me how poorly this club has been managed. Having the lowest attendance at the 1st game of the season also says a lot. I would be embarrassed if I was in management. This proud club has really been dragged down to the ground. I hear that it is getting refurbished so hopefully that is the new management coming in making changes. Unfortunate they left it too late until the club sunk to it's lowest ebb.

Saints attack is great and when they started rolling the ruck early looked like a team on a mission. Then it all changed dramatically. Blaming Mariner is a bit harsh as there were still around 60 mins to go. Saints were leading 18-4 so still should have held on to the lead at leas till half time. Every time Cows got the ball they carved Saints up.

Watching them live made me realise just how much work Flanno has to do this year. 1st job is to get guys that want to be part of the red V and actually treasure being part of this famous club. 2nd is to look after those guys and not give them excuses to ask for a release like Lomax.

I feel bad saying this but Bird is very injury prone but this season I feel he will go through without injury or last long enough for Lomax to leave. Every game I seem him play in the past couple of years I am expecting him to come off injured but it does not look this way this year and it will be at the expense of our best back. I just don't get how Flanno see's Bird as the answer for centre? I would rather him at 5/8 than Centre. His best spot is clearly 14 but if Flanno wants him in the starting side then put him in the backrow. I am hoping Flanno is giving Bird this last week before he does the obvious and moves him there at least giving him a chance at centre.

Dragon David

First Grade
You can blame me for the loss. I was at the game and when we went up 18-4 I changed seats. After that it went down hill. What a disaster.

It was good being back at Kogarah and was beginning to look like a special day with an unlikely win against a potential top 4 side. Unfortunately it ended as a complete train wreck.

When you go to the legends bar and have Mat Elliot and Jeremy Lattimore there as legends you think wow, surely there are better ex-players than that available. No offence to those 2 s they are great fellas but geez, having Nighty, Coops, Gaz, Creagh, Soward anyone from the 2010 or 1999 teams actually. Then I went to the club after the game and sat in the bistro. wtf? I thought I was in the 1970's. The guy that looks like Ron Jeremy was at reception who was probably there from 1970. I have not been there for a while as I live far. The place is a so outdated it is embarrassing compared to clubs like Panthers and Bulldogs clubs. That really showed to me how poorly this club has been managed. Having the lowest attendance at the 1st game of the season also says a lot. I would be embarrassed if I was in management. This proud club has really been dragged down to the ground. I hear that it is getting refurbished so hopefully that is the new management coming in making changes. Unfortunate they left it too late until the club sunk to it's lowest ebb.

Saints attack is great and when they started rolling the ruck early looked like a team on a mission. Then it all changed dramatically. Blaming Mariner is a bit harsh as there were still around 60 mins to go. Saints were leading 18-4 so still should have held on to the lead at leas till half time. Every time Cows got the ball they carved Saints up.

Watching them live made me realise just how much work Flanno has to do this year. 1st job is to get guys that want to be part of the red V and actually treasure being part of this famous club. 2nd is to look after those guys and not give them excuses to ask for a release like Lomax.

I feel bad saying this but Bird is very injury prone but this season I feel he will go through without injury or last long enough for Lomax to leave. Every game I seem him play in the past couple of years I am expecting him to come off injured but it does not look this way this year and it will be at the expense of our best back. I just don't get how Flanno see's Bird as the answer for centre? I would rather him at 5/8 than Centre. His best spot is clearly 14 but if Flanno wants him in the starting side then put him in the backrow. I am hoping Flanno is giving Bird this last week before he does the obvious and moves him there at least giving him a chance at centre.
You are superstitious Slippery or think that you have caused the game to be getting away from us, just like me when I alter what I was wearing or doing stuff. You feel like you caused them to lose so you are not the only one and I'm sure there are many others of us fans thinking the same - even when we win - ahhh these clothes brought the Dragons good luck today because they won and the next week you put on something different and they aren't doing so well then you have to think - hmmm what was I wearing last week when they won?

All you other points I agree with, especially about how ancient the Dragons club looks like now.

Mojo

Bench
You are superstitious Slippery or think that you have caused the game to be getting away from us, just like me when I alter what I was wearing or doing stuff. You feel like you caused them to lose so you are not the only one and I'm sure there are many others of us fans thinking the same - even when we win - ahhh these clothes brought the Dragons good luck today because they won and the next week you put on something different and they aren't doing so well then you have to think - hmmm what was I wearing last week when they won?

All you other points I agree with, especially about how ancient the Dragons club looks like now.
They call it "Illusory control" - beliefs like pointing the bone or doing a rain dance. It's like wearing your lucky shirt to cause a win or the way they only score points when you go to the kitchen. It's the belief that counts, especially when coupled with confirmation bias. It's always going to rain sometime after the magic dance! So, stick with it, because some mongrel's been messing with voodoo against us for ages now.

SEAT 1A

Bench
That has been the way for years and has better percentages rather than trying your Roulette luck at kicking the 10 metres, not kicking out on the full, not giving the opposition back the ball close to the try line etc.

Benny did a long one. Hope he thought stuff this.

Can someone confirm that when taking a drop out and it goes past 10M and doesn't go out the full you get the back?

I suppose you back your defence either way however, I'd like to see a club put the que in the rack and kick long and look at the stats.

SEAT 1A

Bench
They call it "Illusory control" - beliefs like pointing the bone or doing a rain dance. It's like wearing your lucky shirt to cause a win or the way they only score points when you go to the kitchen. It's the belief that counts, especially when coupled with confirmation bias. It's always going to rain sometime after the magic dance! So, stick with it, because some mongrel's been messing with voodoo against us for ages now.

Thanks Mojo.

I gave it a go, started drinking out of a Dragons mug ages ago at home and we would lose. Stopped it and it didn't work.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Dessie started this trend as he said it is easier to defend on the line then from halfway. With the short drop outs, if your not good at getting the ball back such as the Saints and find it easier to defend off the line, then Saints should just kick it out on the full on purpose and set their defence on the goal line. If all teams did that it will make a mockery of the new rule and they may get rid of it. They really should penalise the team if it does not make 10 meters or goes out on the full. It is a dumb rule change like most new ones that have come in.

Mojo

Bench
Dessie started this trend as he said it is easier to defend on the line then from halfway. With the short drop outs, if your not good at getting the ball back such as the Saints and find it easier to defend off the line, then Saints should just kick it out on the full on purpose and set their defence on the goal line. If all teams did that it will make a mockery of the new rule and they may get rid of it. They really should penalise the team if it does not make 10 meters or goes out on the full. It is a dumb rule change like most new ones that have come in.
LOL. Des' new coaching gig is going gangbusters, too.

justadragon

Bench
Just watching the Broncs Cows game, Cows making way more mistakes than last week, of course the conditions are different. But what is noticeable is all the Kicks Reynolds is putting up are all putting the Cows under pressure, not like our inept kicking from Hunt. We are a pretty piss poor pressure side on both sides of the ball.

jeffdragon

Bench
Just watching the Broncs Cows game, Cows making way more mistakes than last week, of course the conditions are different. But what is noticeable is all the Kicks Reynolds is putting up are all putting the Cows under pressure, not like our inept kicking from Hunt. We are a pretty piss poor pressure side on both sides of the ball.
Hunt never kicks to space.
If he does the same tomorrow were stuffed if we're not already.
We make teams look better than they are look at Cows.
There defence is not going to get them anywhere this year.
Only chance of upset in early rounds as when teams get going were GONE.

SAP58

Juniors
They making mistakes because the defensive is fast and brutal.. its all intertwined.. which is why so many teams have the high completions against us.

Tonight was epic quality though, the skill of the passing and kicking..
Totally agree it all starts with defence. If we had a fast moving defence hunting as a pack, like we did in 2010, things would be a lot different. Big game for the team today to see if they have any pride in their jersey !

justadragon

Bench
Totally agree it all starts with defence. If we had a fast moving defence hunting as a pack, like we did in 2010, things would be a lot different. Big game for the team today to see if they have any pride in their jersey !
Yep Totally agree, 84 pts in 2 games , well that is just Swiss cheese stuff, lets see if they just not only have pride in the jumper but themselves.

Chase much better. Compare Riki's chase to RFM and Leilua last week.

Dragon David

First Grade
Yep Totally agree, 84 pts in 2 games , well that is just Swiss cheese stuff, lets see if they just not only have pride in the jumper but themselves.
It is so bad for the team giving up 84 points in just two games particularly after hearing and reading that the coaches have concentrated on improving the players' defence during a "tough" off season. If those points conceded is a sign of defence improvement, then something tells me that either the coaches don't know what they are doing or the players forgot what they have been trained to do in a short time?

We have lost so many games in the last 3 years because of poor defence. Great defence more often than not wins games and I don't understand why our teams have been so poor at it. Do our players just not want getting hurt or lack the strength and stamina to tackle set after set? Is what they are doing lacking good technique and physicality?

I just hope that Dean Young has sorted this out for the game against Manly otherwise the Dragons will cop another thrashing and who will get the blame??

maestro1

Bench
All 3 teams we have played made hardly any errors in our games. But made lots of errors the week before they played us and the week after. Titans made few mistakes against us in Round 1 and then made a stack against the dogs the week after. Dolphins were a mistake-a-thon the week before they played us and then made hardly any errors against us. Cowboys made a lot of errors the week before playing us, were almost clinical against us after the RFM bombed try and then were putrid last night against the Broncs.
Opposition coaches have worked out that beating us is easy if they control the football as we don't have the freaky superstars like Manu, Walsh etc to win games with little possession.