What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rabbitoh forward pack on notice

Rabbitoh forward pack on notice
By Steve Gee | June 01, 2009 12:00am

SOUTHS coach Jason Taylor has put the heat on his international forwards to show more passion and power in tonight's match against Canberra at ANZ Stadium.

The Rabbitohs were beaten up front by Parramatta last week despite escaping with a 16-16 draw and Taylor has demanded his pack step up and bend Canberra's defensive line.

Taylor's men led 10-0 against the Eels, but the coach said that only masked his team's failure around the ruck.

With Michael Crocker and Craig Wing on State of Origin duty, the responsibility will fall on Kiwi Test men Roy Asotasi, Issac Luke and David Fa'alogo.

Taylor said that another lacklustre display would be punished by the Raiders, despite the absence of playmaker Terry Campese.

"They have some players who are so underrated but we certainly aren't underrating them," Taylor said.

"We know what they can do. They are a big team, they carry the ball very strongly and we have to be ready to meet that challenge. They were pretty awesome last week against the Warriors."

Taylor said his players had failed to match the intensity of the Eels.

"We were ahead on the scoreboard early but we were never ahead in the game," he said. "They did last week what we have been talking about Canberra being good at, really carrying the ball strongly.

"(Parramatta) were too passionate in that area for us in the middle of the field, so that would be an improvement area for us."

Taylor said the loss of Wing and Crocker was a blow but the squad would lift.

"You still get to put 17 people out there, so there are no excuses," he said.

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegrap...006066,00.html

Ike E Bear

Juniors
Good to see.

They aren't playing to their potential right now, so a lift is definitely required.

coach

I have been disappointed with some of our forward play this season. Players like Luke, Asotasi, Fa'alogo and Kidwell are not playing at there full potential. They all need to lift there game.

big country

Juniors
from what i can see the opposition quick play the ball is killing us and when it's our turn we dont repay the compliment - you could have the best pack in the world but this will kill you everytime

Achillies

Juniors
from what i can see the opposition quick play the ball is killing us and when it's our turn we dont repay the compliment - you could have the best pack in the world but this will kill you everytime

Hit the nail on the head. The slow play the balls are the reason Isaac Luke has had limited impact this year. Up against a huge raiders forward pack if we get a roll on Luke could cut them to pieces. Roy needs to aim up big time tonight, maybe a spray from Big Gordie is due.
Any word on Sutton playing tonight?

mohses

Juniors
i feel we are too predictable, no decoy runners , no angle runners to create second phase foward momentem, thus issac`s ability to gain metres from dummy 1/2 is nullified.

Appin Rabbit

Juniors
i feel we are too predictable, no decoy runners , no angle runners to create second phase foward momentem, thus issac`s ability to gain metres from dummy 1/2 is nullified.
They have got to stop playing like Jane & Play like Tarzan they have been easy meat for opposition forward packs I,m sure TLL, Logan & Tongue will not be playing like Jane if we don't get on top in the forwards we will get done like a dinner!

The Question has JT got any motivation in him like Bennett,Smith Moore etc - Answer NO.

Sonic Star

Juniors
TBH our forwards should be forced to train in dresses until they learn to harder up and not be so soft.

The likes of Davidson, Coote, Satler and co must be shaking their heads watching these guys go around

Ike E Bear

Juniors
It's actually good that this thread has bobbed back up.

Apparently the pack was "on notice" a couple of weeks ago ... so what happened to back this up?

SFA.

Or is Luke Stuart to second row supposed to be a savage rap over the knuckles?

Hot air and empty rhetoric.

NGR

Juniors
LOL and replace the cream puffs with who? North Sydney Players LOL.

everyone on these forums think you are a sellout little b1tch.. and if you told people in real life you swap teams at the drop of a hat you would get laughed at...

Whilst you are selling out, how about you f**k off to AFL or Soccer...

CS = gimp

boo_boo

Juniors
I think Pettybourne adds a lot of aggression when his on the field & should now be close to getting a starting spot.

Ike E Bear

Juniors
LOL and replace the cream puffs with who? North Sydney Players LOL.

Went through the same problem last year with the Eels.

Yeah, if guys aren't performing then you drop them ... even if its for someone who isn't necessarily better. Otherwise, mediocrity becomes entrenched.

You can't "put your forwards on notice" and then do nothing when they go backwards instead of forwards.

You don't have drop everyone, but one or two serious dumpings can at least put the fear into others - lift your game or you'll be playing for the Bears.

Personally, I'd drop Kidwell and Fa'alogo ... and don't just elevate nuffies like Lowe and McPherson. Bring in a Tyrrell or Greenfield (I'm not sure of the injury status of either of them).

Shake it up. Motivate these guys.

Dogmatix

Juniors
I would definitely drop Kidwell. He is just not good at anything anymore

McPherson is just a defensive player. Problem with him is JT uses him like Moimoi with 40 minutes a game from the bench. He has no impact running the ball so is hopeless off the bench. Still think he should be given a go in a defensive role playing 80 minutes and just tackling his heart out. He looks a stayer rather than a power player. In his current role though he is not much use

Appin Rabbit

Juniors
I would definitely drop Kidwell. He is just not good at anything anymore

McPherson is just a defensive player. Problem with him is JT uses him like Moimoi with 40 minutes a game from the bench. He has no impact running the ball so is hopeless off the bench. Still think he should be given a go in a defensive role playing 80 minutes and just tackling his heart out. He looks a stayer rather than a power player. In his current role though he is not much use
DM McPherson is not a first grader he offers nothing to the team he is one of Taylors favourites thats why he gets a run