What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rabbitohs + Homebush = ???

t-ba

Post Whore
http://www.smh.com.au/news/League/Rabbitohs-in-shock-move-to-Homebush/2005/02/26/1109180167664.html

Rabbitohs in shock move to Homebush
By Greg Prichard
February 27, 2005
The Sun-Herald

South Sydney are set to make the most dramatic move in the club's history and play all of their home games at Telstra Stadium from next year.

The deal would guarantee the Rabbitohs at least $1 million per year over four years after they have battled to make a tiny profit playing at Aussie Stadium.

Souths had favoured North Sydney Oval as a venue for next year after their deal with Aussie Stadium runs out at the end of this season but recent negotiations with Telstra Stadium have led to a stunning change of plans.

The Rabbitohs have not signed the deal yet but chief executive Shane Richardson has the support of his board and all that is left now is for the club to make a final decision.

"The advantages we would get from this deal are fantastic and for the sake of the club's future we are looking strongly at going ahead with it," Richardson told The Sun-Herald.

"The money the deal would bring in would take a huge amount of pressure off the club and allow us to spend the money we need to spend to become more successful."

Advertisement
AdvertisementThere is bound to be division among Souths fans, with some opposing the idea of taking the club's home games away from their traditional base close to Sydney's central business district but Richardson said the benefits were enormous.

"If you want to get to the top it's no good doing a bit here and there and just hoping for the best," Richardson said. "You have to aim high and be prepared to make the decisions that are going to help you get there.

"This is all about securing the future of the South Sydney Rabbitohs in Sydney and giving the club the chance to function within an atmosphere of stability.

"We became partners with Souths Juniors last year and that helped our financial cause enormously. Now we're looking at this opportunity and it has the potential to help our cause in a huge way again.

"If we had more money to spend we could improve the club's infrastructure, invest more in the team's preparation and be able to spend more on players. We're not spending right up to the salary cap at this stage, because we can't."

Souths would get a similar deal per game to what the Bulldogs and Wests Tigers will get for playing a selection of their home games at Telstra Stadium this season. It is understood the Rabbitohs would receive about $70,000 per game just for turning up, plus a cut of the gate above a certain attendance figure.

Souths would also receive some signage rights and take full profit from their merchandise sold at the ground.

Telstra Stadium chief executive Ken Edwards said it would be fantastic to get a club with such a rich history to play out of the venue.

"The Rabbitohs and the Dragons are the biggest brand names in league," Edwards said. "To have one of them here would be a great step for us and, we believe, for Souths.

"We've had two months of discussion with Souths and we've agreed on the details. It's now up to them to come back to us with a decision. We're confident the deal will be done."

Richardson said the club had devoted much time to considering the move.

"We haven't made a final decision on this yet," Richardson said. "But we've had a good response from our sponsors and we will always take into account what our supporters think.

"Some people may not like the idea to start with, but I want to give them the facts on how good such a deal would be for the club and for our supporters.

"What I'm most excited about is the fact a great stadium like Telstra Stadium wants to form a partnership with South Sydney and help grow each other's business.

"Telstra Stadium is a fantastic venue and we could make a great home there.

"We would look at ways to make it as easy as possible for Souths fans from our heartland to travel to the games, but the Rabbitohs are a team that has followers everywhere.

"If we start to become more successful on the field - as I believe we will - I can see us becoming the biggest-drawing club in Sydney, with crowds between 15,000 and 20,000 there.

"And after four years we would have the opportunity to move back to Redfern Oval if the bid by [Souths Leagues club chairman] George Piggins on behalf of the club to try to get the ground redeveloped is successful. It wouldn't be built before then anyway."

t-ba

Post Whore
Stranger said:
hows that gonna help make a profit? wont it cost more? the crowds wont increase any.

Souths would get a similar deal per game to what the Bulldogs and Wests Tigers will get for playing a selection of their home games at Telstra Stadium this season. It is understood the Rabbitohs would receive about $70,000 per game just for turning up, plus a cut of the gate above a certain attendance figure.

Souths would also receive some signage rights and take full profit from their merchandise sold at the ground.

The Stadium Management is doing its utmost to turn the district from a white elephant into something useful. As such, they are flogging tenancy bargains.

Souths already have a nice modern stadia. Leave it to the Clubs of Western Sydney to consolidate into the Telstra Stadium.

aids

Bench
so, bulldogs, souths and wests all playing out of telstra stadium as home grounds.

how do we all feel about that?

Sir Clifford GC

Juniors
a competitive souths
are probably the only club who could come close to filling telstra on a regular basis.

Once souths start winning their crowds will skyrocket

Timbo

Staff member
The whole 'souths winning' thing is the problem isn't it?

souths+80,000 seat stadium+10,000 crowds=booted from NRL again.

Big Mick

Referee
I think its great for Souths.

With this money they are getting for this deal, it will ensure their survival in the competition for at least 4 years.

Souths will start winning games this year. Next year they'll win more.

In the words of field of Dreams ..... "If you build it, he will come". Build being a solid game plan and winning, and he the operative word for crowds.

If Souths start winning they will get around 17,000 -23,000 to every game.

JK

Bad move - too far from 'South Sydney'

Why don't they just move to Gosford and secure their permanent future?

nqboy

First Grade
As long as they close off the top of the stands and win a few games, they'll go alright. I have no problem with it. They are getting screwed at the SFS, they have to look elsewhere.

It'd be interesting to compare SA's offer with Gosford's offer. One of the major factors in the mind of Souths management IMO, would be the need to stay in Sydney. Gosford would only be an option if they couldn't do any good in Sydney.

colonel_123

Juniors
Stranger said:
hows that gonna help make a profit? wont it cost more? the crowds wont increase any.

The way I believe it works with the Wests Tigers is that Telstra guarentees the Tigers a minimum amount of money (something like $70 000) each game regardless of the crowd.

The stadium covers this cost through corporate packages.

gallagher

Juniors
Great move .
An extra $1mil a year to struggling club could be the difference between a future and distinction. He's a smart man that Richardson, he realises his job is to make Souths a success and not to pander to the minority of fans who wouldnt take a 1/2 hour trip to watch them play.

Kris_man

Bench
their fans aren't gonna travel that far. i'm sorry, but they won't. sure, the really loyal ones will, but the "borderline" fans will think "f**k it, let's just watch it at the pub instead". bad move in my opinion, but time will tel.

ouwet

Bench
Kris_man said:
their fans aren't gonna travel that far. i'm sorry, but they won't. sure, the really loyal ones will, but the "borderline" fans will think "f**k it, let's just watch it at the pub instead". bad move in my opinion, but time will tel.

South Sydney Fans are everywhere!! Great move SOuths...
The SCG Turst are f**king dickheads and can go get f**ked!

Bulldogs will average over 25,000 this year easily at Tesltra Stadium (If opposition supporters come it would be over 30,000), but the Stupid Baseball stadium will bring down our averages like every year...

When South Sydney are successful they can average over 25,000 per games easily and for the BGI games against the Bulldogs, Dragons etc they can get 40,000 + Easily....

gallagher

Juniors
Your assuming their fans live closer to the SFS. I remember Balmain in the '90's surveyed their fans and the majority lived out west. Maybe Telstra is closer for a lot of rabbit fans.

Latest posts