What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rabbitohs rumours, signings, injuries etc

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
All good points mate.
I hope it all pans out and we keep both AJ and Jennings.
But There’s nothing stopping the cows though from contacting Souths and asking if we would consider releasing him to go there a year earlier if interested.
And if we’re resigned to losing him after this season as he wants fullback money, then the club might just let him go.
I know the club has come out and said he ain’t going anywhere , but to be honest I don’t think that means anything.
I hope I’m wrong.

For me that’s the ideal situation. AJ and Jennings both stay which gives us great depth having graham and burns ready to go if either of them are injured.

Travitoh

First Grade
Dufty to NQ is the one I've seen thrown about, not much about AJ though nothing reliable.

I'm intrigued by Liam Knight. Thought he was ok with Canberra.

callmack1

Staff member
Hello to all our Prideoftheleague members and fans on here on Leagueunlimited we are in very good hands from here on at souths and i am truly excited to see how wayne bennett pans out, i for one am tickled pink that the greatest coach of all time is now coaching the greatest and most successful club of all time thats why souths are called the pride of the league.

I believe #22 will happen within 3-4 years but most probably in 2020 but if it happens in 2019 then the great man himself Mr Wayne Bennett can definitely take a well earned bow. Cardinal & Myrtle Forever.
Welcome to the forum mate!!

This nz kid has good hands and a nice step and off load and is a defence machine from manlys feeder club out at blacktown i hope him and knight play off the bench but maybe that dillon kid from the sharks might play off the bench with knight.i believe liam knight will go leaps and bounds this year under bennett if bennett can straighten him out i believe he
may well surprise all he is my smokey.
Yea I just have a feeling that one of the yound forwards we signed for 2019 is going to break into the 17 and have a breakout year. Whether that be Knight, Kennedy, Dillon or Sironen I'm not sure but I'm really hoping one of them can lock down a spot on the bench and hold it.

Bennett seems to be a big fan of Knight.

On another note, I think it's great to see Barba has been given a life ban. This could be a real line in the sand moment for our great game and It's time we stood up and showed that people like Barba have no place in our game.

Barba CCTV footage confirms physical altercation - Greenberg: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/02/05/ben-barba-cctv-footage-confirms-physical-altercation-greenberg/

Travitoh

First Grade
Yea I just have a feeling that one of the yound forwards we signed for 2019 is going to break into the 17 and have a breakout year. Whether that be Knight, Kennedy, Dillon or Sironen I'm not sure but I'm really hoping one of them can lock down a spot on the bench and hold it.

Bennett seems to be a big fan of Knight.

By my count there are currently three spots available in the pack rotation for round one so there is certainly an opportunity for any of the young guys who put their hand up.

callmack1

Staff member
Well known news for a while now that Sam will shift to an edge and it's welcome news if you ask me. We won't lose too much through the middle because we all know how good Murray is, he should play big minutes too.

It'll also strengthen that left edge with Sam out there, I can just imagine him running off a short ball from Reyno close to the line at a half that is a lot smaller than him. How damaging could that be?!!

Awesome news about Richo! What great service he's given our club over the years.

Last edited:

ThingFish

Juniors
Well known news for a while now that Sam will shift to an edge and it's welcome news if you ask me. We won't lose too much through the middle because we all know how good Murray is, he should play big minutes too.

It'll also strengthen that left edge with Sam out there, I can just imagine him running off a short ball from Reyno close to the line at a half that is a lot smaller than him. How damaging could that be?!!

Awesome news about Richo! What great service he's given our club over the years.
Plus turning Cam into an 80min player means big SuperCoach points :joy:

southsport

First Grade
CLUB NEWS

Rabbitohs sign Tom Amone until end of 2020 season
Author
South Sydney Rabbitohs
Timestamp
Thu 7 Feb 2019, 09:59 AM
The South Sydney Rabbitohs are delighted to announce the signing of young forward Tom Amone until the end of the 2020 season.

Amone, 22, has excelled at the NSW ISP level over the past three years playing with the Blacktown Workers Sea Eagles and Wentworthville Magpies.

An Australian Schoolboys and Junior Kiwis representative player, Amone won the Sea Eagles’ ISP best and fairest player award in 2018 and was also named in the NSW ISP team of the year. He played alongside current Rabbitohs teammates Connor Tracey and Bayley Sironen for the Australian Schoolboys in 2014.

He is an out-and-out middle player who plays with aggression in defence and attack and we’re looking forward to his progression under Wayne’s coaching.

Shane RichardsonGeneral Manager of Football
Rabbitohs General Manager of Football, Shane Richardson, says Amone is a quality young footballer.

“Tom has shown he has what it takes to shine at the ISP level and we’re confident he can make the step up to the NRL if asked with further training and development in our pathway,” Mr Richardson said.

“We felt we needed to bolster our ranks in the front row following the departure of young Sam Johnstone back to his home town of Mackay, and Tom was the man we identified to boost that depth in our front row stocks.

“He is an out-and-out middle player who plays with aggression in defence and attack and we’re looking forward to his progression under Wayne’s coaching.”

It means a lot to me to get this opportunity to play with such a great club alongside some of the best players in Rugby League.

Tom AmoneRabbitohs Recruit
Amone is excited about the opportunity he has at South Sydney.

“I’m really looking forward to the next two years and doing my best for the Rabbitohs,” Amone said.

“It means a lot to me to get this opportunity to play with such a great club alongside some of the best players in Rugby League.

“I also have the chance to work under one of the greatest coaches of all time in Wayne (Bennett), so I will be doing my best to help the team win for my teammates and the Members, and to make the most of this opportunity I have been given.”

ThingFish

Juniors
CLUB NEWS

Rabbitohs sign Tom Amone until end of 2020 season
Author
South Sydney Rabbitohs
Timestamp
Thu 7 Feb 2019, 09:59 AM
The South Sydney Rabbitohs are delighted to announce the signing of young forward Tom Amone until the end of the 2020 season.

Amone, 22, has excelled at the NSW ISP level over the past three years playing with the Blacktown Workers Sea Eagles and Wentworthville Magpies.

An Australian Schoolboys and Junior Kiwis representative player, Amone won the Sea Eagles’ ISP best and fairest player award in 2018 and was also named in the NSW ISP team of the year. He played alongside current Rabbitohs teammates Connor Tracey and Bayley Sironen for the Australian Schoolboys in 2014.

He is an out-and-out middle player who plays with aggression in defence and attack and we’re looking forward to his progression under Wayne’s coaching.

Shane RichardsonGeneral Manager of Football
Rabbitohs General Manager of Football, Shane Richardson, says Amone is a quality young footballer.

“Tom has shown he has what it takes to shine at the ISP level and we’re confident he can make the step up to the NRL if asked with further training and development in our pathway,” Mr Richardson said.

“We felt we needed to bolster our ranks in the front row following the departure of young Sam Johnstone back to his home town of Mackay, and Tom was the man we identified to boost that depth in our front row stocks.

“He is an out-and-out middle player who plays with aggression in defence and attack and we’re looking forward to his progression under Wayne’s coaching.”

It means a lot to me to get this opportunity to play with such a great club alongside some of the best players in Rugby League.

Tom AmoneRabbitohs Recruit
Amone is excited about the opportunity he has at South Sydney.

“I’m really looking forward to the next two years and doing my best for the Rabbitohs,” Amone said.

“It means a lot to me to get this opportunity to play with such a great club alongside some of the best players in Rugby League.

“I also have the chance to work under one of the greatest coaches of all time in Wayne (Bennett), so I will be doing my best to help the team win for my teammates and the Members, and to make the most of this opportunity I have been given.”
I’m really hoping he’s in the NSWCup trial tonight. I’m hoping him and Corey Allen get a run.

callmack1

Staff member
Robert Jennings’ future no clearer, according to brothers Michael and George: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...e/news-story/4002e40cbae24f5691d55160869f843e

Also, some very welcome news about GI from Sporting News!!

South Sydney Rabbitohs coach Wayne Bennett refutes reports Greg Inglis is overweight

New South Sydney coach Wayne Bennett has shot down whispers Greg Inglis is struggling to trim down to playing weight.

League journalist Ben Dobbin reported last week that the Rabbitohs captain, who is on restricted training duties because of knee soreness, was "15 kilos" heavier than usual.

"Greg Inglis, they're all saying he will not be there [at the start of the season]," Dobbin told The Big Breakfast.

"I spoke to Wayne about this. [Inglis] won't be there for round one or two because he's 15 kilos over his playing weight."

But Bennett has refuted the claims, telling The Courier-Mail on Thursday that "Greg Inglis is not fat".

"Any suggestion he is fat is ridiculous. This talk of him being 12kg or 15kg overweight, that's way over the top," Bennett said.

"I saw Greg when he first came back to training and he's fine.

"The truth is Greg came back about four or five kilos overweight - not 15."

Inglis, 32, is due to start running again next week as he ramps up his bid to be ready for Souths' season-opening game against the Sydney Roosters.

The Queensland and Australian champion recently revealed he would retire from the NRL at the end of 2020 but some have questioned whether Inglis' body will hold out that long.

Bennett, however, says he has no such fears and anticipates that Inglis will perform well.

The master coach also confirmed Inglis will play fullback this year, with incumbent No.1 Alex Johnston apparently happy to move back onto the wing.

Inglis has played 261 first grade matches and will crack the 300 barrier if he stays fit for the next two seasons.

Travitoh

First Grade
Kinda off topic but I've decided that with Goodwin and Clark on their books, the Warrington Wolves are the unofficial Super League team of this forum lol.

ThingFish

Juniors
Kinda off topic but I've decided that with Goodwin and Clark on their books, the Warrington Wolves are the unofficial Super League team of this forum lol.
I’ve been following them since their Return to Redfern visit in 2012. It’s a lot like following Souths. They haven’t won a title in decades and they have all the promise in the world but can’t convert to silverware :joy:

Wolfman

Juniors
Turner considering UK move.

With due respect to Turner I hope it happens. He has given Souths great service. It's sad that he suffered that neck injury, ( no thanks to that grub ). If the move does happen I hope Souths go all out for Tevita Pengai Junior.

My guess is we either sign TPJ or George Burgess...it can only be one or the other???

southsport

First Grade
With due respect to Turner I hope it happens. He has given Souths great service. It's sad that he suffered that neck injury, ( no thanks to that grub ). If the move does happen I hope Souths go all out for Tevita Pengai Junior.

My guess is we either sign TPJ or George Burgess...it can only be one or the other???
TPJ is supposed to be heading to the chooks.

GloryGlory

Juniors

I hope Sam has worked on his hands over the off season though. Some of the passes Angus ran onto from Reyno last season he did very well to take and Sam is known for putting them down. I think we will see Sam playing more like another centre than an edge running forward, running over the top of the defender and if he doesn't get through getting a Beetson like pass off to Gagai

callmack1

Staff member
Can't really blame Turner for digging his heels in to be honest, I'd probably do the same. However, it is really frustrating because he is simply surplus to requirements and his departure would free up the cash for Jennings.

The 66 scandals in four years that have rocked the NRL: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...l/news-story/1bbcdffd432063bec8e521c736f7ae4d

Is this the part where the tide turns and we start to see a change in this regard? I certainly hope so. It's simply not good enough, especially this time around. To all non-League fans, our game must look like total shit played by a bunch of merkins and it's time we changed that. Clean it up and show the world how great this game can be!!

Last edited: