What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rabbitohs rumours, signings, injuries etc

Rabbit Stew

Juniors
Farewell to a great player, but what a sad way to end a career that has meant so much to so many. GI was not just a great player but also a great leader and role model, particularly among indigenous communities and players.
It would have been wonderful to see him lead out the Kangaroos, though I 100% agree with the decision to take that from him after the drink-driving charge.
Where to now, though? By retiring, GI frees up (reportedly) around $1.5 million in the Souths salary cap for the next two years so the club has to sets its sights high.
Roberts, at his best, is great but he is injury-prone.
I prefer the thought of going hell-for-leather for Joseph Manu, as someone suggested on here over the weekend. He has a massive future ahead of him and surely he will be squeezed out of the Roosters if they want to keep Latrell

assess5

Juniors
Farewell to a great player, but what a sad way to end a career that has meant so much to so many. GI was not just a great player but also a great leader and role model, particularly among indigenous communities and players.
It would have been wonderful to see him lead out the Kangaroos, though I 100% agree with the decision to take that from him after the drink-driving charge.
Where to now, though? By retiring, GI frees up (reportedly) around $1.5 million in the Souths salary cap for the next two years so the club has to sets its sights high.
I prefer the thought of going hell-for-leather for Joseph Manu, as someone suggested on here over the weekend. He has a massive future ahead of him and surely he will be squeezed out of the Roosters if they want to keep Latrell

I am confused, I read somewhere that the 1.5 million that was Inglis's salary up to and including 2020 is still counted as part of South's cap. Now you tell me that, that money now becomes available to the club and could be used to attract other player i.e. Joseph Manu.

Does anybody have factual knowledge re these monies, not rumor, but factual.

If you are correct re these monies I agree that buying Manu should be a priority and a payback for Crickton (? can't even remember his name now).

Travitoh

First Grade
I am confused, I read somewhere that the 1.5 million that was Inglis's salary up to and including 2020 is still counted as part of South's cap. Now you tell me that, that money now becomes available to the club and could be used to attract other player i.e. Joseph Manu.

Does anybody have factual knowledge re these monies, not rumor, but factual.

If you are correct re these monies I agree that buying Manu should be a priority and a payback for Crickton (? can't even remember his name now).

My understanding is that the contract still counts towards Souths salary cap, like the Watmough situation at Parra which played a part in them being over. Maybe we can apply for a concession but i doubt we'll be getting anyone big in before 2021.

Pommy

Coach

I don’t believe Souths are getting that money back as these medical conditions were pre existing when the contract was signed.
It’s not like he has just suffered a career ending injury that couldn’t have been foreseen by either party.

Mr Spock!

Referee
I don’t believe Souths are getting that money back as these medical conditions were pre existing when the contract was signed.
It’s not like he has just suffered a career ending injury that couldn’t have been foreseen by either party.

Looks like they will...

"It is understood Inglis walks away from the final two years of his contract, meaning his salary won’t be included in the club’s cap.

The former Queensland and Kangaroos representative will continue to work with the club in a variety of different roles, including in the football department. “Money doesn’t make you happy. It’s people around you that make you happy. Money doesn’t drive you... I’m not money-driven,” Inglis said."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/couple...s/news-story/1458ff794cb3a992fccf217b039afcdf

Mr Spock!

Referee
My understanding is that the contract still counts towards Souths salary cap, like the Watmough situation at Parra which played a part in them being over. Maybe we can apply for a concession but i doubt we'll be getting anyone big in before 2021.

Actually watmough's contract was cleared because it was career ending injury.
"Watmough's knee injury has been cleared by the NRL as a career-ending injury, which allows the Eels to clear his mammoth contract out of this year's salary cap."

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/pa...ying-with-the-salary-cap-20160512-gotpht.html

RunRabbitRun69

Juniors
Manu's under contract until the end of 2020.

Anyone we sign now will just force Corey Allan out of the 17.

Use this money to keep George and Lowe, then sign some promising young blokes to cover the depth in the backs.

handyman2190

Bench
Whats suppose to happen is because he has played this season he is entitled to this seasons money. Not next seasons, unless he didnt retire and hung around.
He has retired and he has said he dosent contest the rest of the money as he is being given coaching ,pathways,player development,recruitment, and souths care employment that will pay him similar money. Apparently richo has sat down with the nrl, who will also use greg, and worked out how this will all work.
Now as far as insurance goes the shoulder is a new injury he picked up near the end of last season and he is eligable to claim, all the media hype that we will be strangled until end 20 is BS. The general feeling around the club as ive spoken to a few, he has been spending time with Richo the last 2 years learning the ins and outs of the business, dont be surprised when in a few years if and when Richo retires GI takes over from him.

We desperately need a centre or two. With no GI, our depth in the centres is woeful. Shame really because we let Jennings and Hunt go in the off season and both would've slipped into that spot with no issues but we will not win the competition with Gagai, Turner, Gagan or even Goodwin playing in that right centre spot. We need someone better than all of those options to compete with the big guns in the competition.

Rabbit57

Juniors
We desperately need a centre or two. With no GI, our depth in the centres is woeful. Shame really because we let Jennings and Hunt go in the off season and both would've slipped into that spot with no issues but we will not win the competition with Gagai, Turner, Gagan or even Goodwin playing in that right centre spot. We need someone better than all of those options to compete with the big guns in the competition.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade

I wouldn’t panic with Wayne Bennett coaching. He knew we were skinny up front before the season started and brought in Lowe, Amone and Knight. It would not surprise me if Wayne had a plan B for when GI retires. I couldn’t guess who but it wouldn’t surprise me if we make some surprise buy before June 30

assess5

Juniors
I wouldn’t panic with Wayne Bennett coaching. He knew we were skinny up front before the season started and brought in Lowe, Amone and Knight. It would not surprise me if Wayne had a plan B for when GI retires. I couldn’t guess who but it wouldn’t surprise me if we make some surprise buy before June 30

Yep.

How long before Braidon Burns is back.

250excf

Juniors
We shouldn’t panic buy. If we can hang in until Douhei returns he could do a good job for us here. Then buy another great centre when the right one comes on the market.
Jimmy the jet only signed a 1 year extension with broncs he loves Wayne he’s a gun he would fit in nicely to partner burns :thumbsup:

250excf

Juniors
And yes can’t wait to see if Douhie can fill that spot he’s a good one as well, just depends how long it takes to get fit enough as we all know centre is probably the most difficult position to defend in with big fast mobile backs all running at speed plus decoys who’s going to get the ball who do you commit to ? Then bang sidestep see ya :thumbsup:

Paull

Juniors
Money saved on GI goes to Trent Merrin rest of the season and next - Bennett likes him/wanted him at Souths. Takes up Suttos salary next year. Money to keep GB, Maybe Pangai type player and money left over for quality centre.

Travitoh

First Grade
Going out and spending good money on a centre will get us nowhere. GI was one of if not the highest paid player at the club when he joined but the team wasn't successful until he moved to FB. We need to spend money in the spine and on the edges.

Melbourne and Easts are two clubs that have been consistently in the mix over the past decade and they don't do it by buying expensive centres. Meanwhile, clubs with high earning outside backs very rarely if ever feature in the big show in October.

Latest posts