What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rabbitohs rumours, signings, injuries etc

rabbitohs95

Bench
That's got to be about it in terms of signings doesn't it? I'm really really happy with our recruitment and retention this time round and I don't feel we need anyone else, there wouldn't be enough room under the cap anyway. The 2017 season can't come sooner enough!!!
Yep I believe the squad is finalised. If injuries decimate us again we could see an up and comer from the 20s elevated.

I think the fact we've released the squad on the website so early just shows how finalised it is. Good mix of young and old. Bring on 2017.

southsport

First Grade
That's got to be about it in terms of signings doesn't it? I'm really really happy with our recruitment and retention this time round and I don't feel we need anyone else, there wouldn't be enough room under the cap anyway. The 2017 season can't come sooner enough!!!

Welcome callmack1, things are looking good atm, as you say "season can't come soon enough".

If a few of our props are injured at the same time during the season, we might need to use Tyrrell.

Given the opportunity I think Dave could bounce back a bit in 2017.

Dogmatix

Juniors
Souths have done well with signings for next season (unlike the previous few years reruitment which was a disaster)

Fuimaono looks a very good signing

They probably should have let Clark go and kept Whitelaw as his replacement but Whitelaw did suffer an injury this season and is a light weight forward so I can understand why they let him go. Gosiewski also they did not need to extend

But the rest of the signings look right and Souths can improve a lot in 2017

Franko

Juniors
I'm guessing we have all heard about this one

Christchurch teenager Cruz Topai-Aveai signs with South Sydney Rabbitohs
ROBERT VAN ROYEN

Last updated 12:35, November 1 2016

1477956982725.jpg

Kai Schwoerer
Shirley Boys' No 8 Cruz Topai-Aveai on the charge against Christchurch Boys' in the Crusaders secondary schools UC final in August.

He only started playing rugby league a year ago, but Christchurch teenager Cruz Topai-Aveai has already done enough for the South Sydney Rabbitohs to give him a shot.

Schooled at Shirley Boys' High School, Topai-Aveai has signed a one-year deal with the club and will move to Sydney next week to start pre-season training.

The 17-year-old backrower stands at 1.92m tall and weighs 107kg, and is the second Canterbury teenager with a rugby background to sign with an NRL club recently, after Timaru's Ofa Manuofetoa inked a deal with the Newcastle Knights.

Topai-Aveai, who was named in the New Zealand schools rugby squad this year, said the plan was to play in the NRL under-20s competition next year, with a long-term goal of playing in the NRL.

CAFPOW

Juniors
I was quite confused by tasi myself. Seems like his got a lot of potential. Maybe they don't want to be paying another centre after acquiring Jennings and burns? It looks like we have overs of players in the backs.

We should have kept Tasi and released Nielsen. No use having an "experienced" and "cheap" player in the squad when he has little to no impact on the field when needed.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
We should have kept Tasi and released Nielsen. No use having an "experienced" and "cheap" player in the squad when he has little to no impact on the field when needed.

Yeah Nielsen really has not impressed this year. I know he was always a back up but Jesus he was once a rep player.

rabbitohs95

Bench
Yeah would have liked to have seen Tasi in the NRL squad but for a winger he has a lot to desire height wise. Still an unknown quality and I'm sure he couldve been a great backup. Oh we.

alien

Referee
I'm guessing we have all heard about this one

Christchurch teenager Cruz Topai-Aveai signs with South Sydney Rabbitohs
ROBERT VAN ROYEN

Last updated 12:35, November 1 2016

1477956982725.jpg

Kai Schwoerer
Shirley Boys' No 8 Cruz Topai-Aveai on the charge against Christchurch Boys' in the Crusaders secondary schools UC final in August.

He only started playing rugby league a year ago, but Christchurch teenager Cruz Topai-Aveai has already done enough for the South Sydney Rabbitohs to give him a shot.

Schooled at Shirley Boys' High School, Topai-Aveai has signed a one-year deal with the club and will move to Sydney next week to start pre-season training.

The 17-year-old backrower stands at 1.92m tall and weighs 107kg, and is the second Canterbury teenager with a rugby background to sign with an NRL club recently, after Timaru's Ofa Manuofetoa inked a deal with the Newcastle Knights.

Topai-Aveai, who was named in the New Zealand schools rugby squad this year, said the plan was to play in the NRL under-20s competition next year, with a long-term goal of playing in the NRL.

this is the first I've heard about him

1.92m at 17 yrs old. wow!

callmack1

Staff member
Souths have done well with signings for next season (unlike the previous few years reruitment which was a disaster)

Fuimaono looks a very good signing

They probably should have let Clark go and kept Whitelaw as his replacement but Whitelaw did suffer an injury this season and is a light weight forward so I can understand why they let him go. Gosiewski also they did not need to extend

But the rest of the signings look right and Souths can improve a lot in 2017
I hear what everyone is saying about Clark and in some ways I agree with them. However he is a club legend and part of the leadership group. He will be there to start the season but if one of the youngsters plays well in reserve grade Clark could be pushed out.

Rabbits20

Immortal
I hear what everyone is saying about Clark and in some ways I agree with them. However he is a club legend and part of the leadership group. He will be there to start the season but if one of the youngsters plays well in reserve grade Clark could be pushed out.
Yes to me it's a no brainer to keep Clark over Whitelaw.

Dogmatix said keep Whitelaw over Clark. Obviously we had to keep the man who's part of the leadership group and South Sydney through and through.

Yep he will be there for the first couple of months and possibly longer if he performs.

Yes to me it's a no brainer to keep Clark over Whitelaw.

Dogmatix said keep Whitelaw over Clark. Obviously we had to keep the man who's part of the leadership group and South Sydney through and through.

Yep he will be there for the first couple of months and possibly longer if he performs.
What's the point of having to keep Clark because he is part of the so called leadership group when we all know he will spend most of next season playing for nor this with tyrell

You have to perform or perish no good claiming he's part of the leadership group
Pretty hard when your playing in the reserve grade team to be a leader

DiegoNT

First Grade
I think clark is under valued in this forum by some. But he has played something like 90% of games over the last 3 seasons, always does his job, played his part in a premiership and with our depth a bit thin in true middle forwards he'll probably be in the team until someone from the lower grades forces his way into the team.
All this talk about guys like clark, AJ or even goodwin doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things. What will make or break our season will be our 5 highest paid players, the burgii, Reynolds and GI, and whether we get value for money out of them. If those 5 earn there money, then all guys like clark, Johnston, turner etc have to do is do their jobs and make their contributions. Hopefully we get a situation like 2014 when our big 5 off inglis, reynolds, sam, george and isaac luke stayed in form and guys like clark, tyrell, old man lote and keary just played their parts

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
Clark is one player that deserves to have good things happen to him.

I don't think anyone disagrees with that I think people just believe that he's not good enough for our top 17 anymore. That being said he could still work for the Rabbitohs off field which has no relation to our salary cap. He's not really the hard hitting impact prop that our supporters want to see off the bench. I think this is also due to the fact that our bench is criticised a lot for not having enough impact and a lot of people looked straight at Clark. Great bloke I only hope great things for him happen but it's Madge's decision and not mine, thank god for that.

southsport

First Grade
I don't think anyone disagrees with that I think people just believe that he's not good enough for our top 17 anymore. That being said he could still work for the Rabbitohs off field which has no relation to our salary cap. He's not really the hard hitting impact prop that our supporters want to see off the bench. I think this is also due to the fact that our bench is criticised a lot for not having enough impact and a lot of people looked straight at Clark. Great bloke I only hope great things for him happen but it's Madge's decision and not mine, thank god for that.

I'll be happy to see him in the 17 anytime.

Latest posts