What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Raider PL side announced

Raider_69

Post Whore
yep im havin an after after party tonight
so ill be hittin the piss, now i got a reason, to drown my sorrows on a disappointing season 04 :cry: :alcho:

Bay56

First Grade
greeneyed said:
What an end to a miserable season........ I am so depressed....... :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

get a grip of yourself greeneyed ..... remember stay away from the shaving cabinet :) :lol: :)

greeneyed

First Grade
I can just see that evil will prevail all around this year. St George beating us!!!! ugh!!!!!!!!

greeneyed

First Grade
I can just see it will be a Roosters/Dogs GF with the Roosters winning..... ugh... Roostes and St George in PL ... ughhhhhhhhhhhhh ... what a disaster......

Steven Gerrard

First Grade
We played well in PL. But alot of Dropped balls from 10m out in free space 3 times, cost us 3 certain trys. Mistakes from Carney, PNG Steve and One more player (Cant remember) were crucial.

greeneyed

First Grade
Today's CT reports that in the end it came down to brute strength. The Raiders played yesterday's PL preliminary final against St George with pride, passion and a whole lot of power. Unfortunatley, what they displayed in physical strenth, they lacked in ball handling skills. The 18-14 loss brought Canberra's efforts to win back to back titles to a shuddering end.

In the most physical opening it has encountered all season, the Raiders PL team was fronted by bruising St George attack in the opening quarter. The minor premiers' forward pack proved a hard task for the Raiders to overcome and they were eventually overpowered.

And in attack, there was a distinct lack of flair on the Raiders' part.

In defence, while restricting the Dragons to no more tries than they themselves scored, Canberra missed tackles they normally wouldn't have.

Although proud of the team sticking with St George, coach Collins put the loss down to missed opportunities.

"It was a really high quality match for PL standard" he said. "St George's coach said it was their toughest game of the year. I thought we gave them a couple of opportunities early that may have come back to bite us. They had a bit more possession than us early but we came through that and at 6-6 at half time I was confident we could come home over the top of them if we could turn the possession side of things around" he said.

While succeeding on that front, the Raiders failed to stamp their authority on the match. The Dragons appeared to have the match in their keeping when Wes Naiqama crossed with five minutes remaining, but even then the Raiders refused to give in, despite being more than a converted try down. Beau Mundine crossed in the final minute giving Canberra hope of pulling off an unthinkable victory, but it wasn't to be.

"I'm just really proud of the guys" Collins said. "After round 2 of the competition when we had lost both our matches and had 68 points put up against us, to get this far is just really an outstanding effort. I knew it was going to be one hell of a game. It was exciting."

Raiders 14 (Kahler, Milne, Mundine tries, Carney 1 goal)
St George 18 (Powell, Payne, Naiqama tries, Gorrell 3 goals)

greeneyed

First Grade
PL Crucial Minutes

12 - Kris Kahler gets the Raiders off to the perfect start, scoring off a Terry Campese cross field bomb. Carney converts. Raiders 6-0

16 - Ryan Powell scores after Marshall Chalk knocks on from a Dragons grubber. Gorrel converts. Raiders 6-6

33 - Steve Franciscus breaks the line, looks certain to score before losing the ball five metres from the line.

48 - Corey Payne scores. Gorrel converts. Dragons 12-6

54 - David Milne scores in the corner. Carney's conversion attempt hits the post and bounces back in field. Dragons 12-10

73 - Carney grubber kicks to himself, regathers and looks set to score, before losing control of the ball only metres from the line.

75 - Referee Gavin Badger penalises Dragon Henry Perenara for a double movement.

77 - Wes Naiqama runs through Josh Miller to score. Gorrel converts. Dragons 18-10

79 - Beau Mundine scores. Carney misses conversion. Dragons 18-14.

CT player of the match for the Raiders - Kris Kahler.

Steven Gerrard

First Grade
33rd minute was heart breaking, PNG Steve, 5m out, no one infront of him, does a netball style pass straight to a dragons player on his right! #-o

Kris_man

Bench
oh yeah, i forgot to mention that Carney grubber in my wrap-up. the crowd let out a big "ohhhhhhhhhhhh" after he dropped it.

thickos

First Grade
Damn what a shame - sounds disappointing. Considering how hot we have been in attack for weeks, what a pity it all went to shit on the big night.

Nonetheless, a brave effort in defending the PL title and, premiers or not, we have a great swag of kids here at the Raiders. And considering the shaky start to the season, well done on storming home the way they did.

I think Kris Kahler got 16 tries for the year - is this close to a forward try-scoring record???

Well played team. You are a better unit than first grade - which is depressing to say.