What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Raider PL side announced

lukethejedi

Juniors
Raiders Ready to Face Competition Favourites
22/09/04: Fone Zone Canberra Raiders Premier League coach Wayne Collins has named his side for this Saturday's Preliminary Final showdown with Minor Premiers, the St George Illawarra Dragons.

The Raiders are on a 4-match winning streak and have won their first 2 finals matches in convincing fashion against the Cougars and the Eels.

Now facing their sternest test of the season, the Raiders are in great shape to reverse their opening round loss to the Dragons, with the run-on side containing no less than 11 players with first grade experience.

After suffering an ankle injury in the first half of last week's semi-final, halfback Todd Carney's condition has improved this week and he has been named in the starting lineup alongside Terry Campese.

The Dragons boast an intimidating forward pack and will be led around the park by astute halfback Brett Firman, in what is shaping up as a classic Premier League contest.

The winner of Saturday's final will meet either the Roosters or Manly in the Grand Final.

NSWRL VB Premier League Preliminary Final

Canberra Raiders v St George Illawarra Dragons
5.35pm, Saturday 25 September 2004
Aussie Stadium

Coach: Wayne Collins

1 Marshall Chalk
2 Steve Franciscus
3 Phil Graham
4 Jamie Russo
5 Nathan Smith
6 Terry Campese
7 Todd Carney

13 Nic Kouparitsas
12 Josh Miller
11 Kris Kahler
10 Darren Porter
9 Jarred Lawrence
8 Mark Bryant

Interchange
14 Glen Buttriss
15 Ben Cross
16 Beau Mundine
17 Jack Pearson
18 David Milne
19 Mark Henry
20 Willie Raston

Raider_69

Post Whore
we should of played our best half back in PL all season so that he would be avalable for selection... Hang on #-o #-o

greeneyed

First Grade
Today's CT reports that PL coach Wayne Collins believes defence could be the deciding factor in the Raiders' preliminary final against St George.

The Raiders beat the Dragons in the preliminary final on the way to the premiership last year.

This year, though, the Dragons finished as minor premiers and have the best attacking record, just ahead of the Raiders.

The focus for the Raiders this week would be defence. "We've got some work to do, especially defensively" Collins said. "Its a big challenge. Without doubt the Dragons have been the best team in the competition all the way through the year. They've got the best attacking record - just in front of us - and their defence is the best in the competition. They're ranked number 1 in both those areas and they've only been beaten four times this year. That's a lot of confidence they've been able to build up."

The Dragons will be led around by Brett Firman. "You can't concentrate too much on him but obviously he's a quality player like most of the players they've got" Collins said.

The Raiders have played St George only once this season in the opening round, losing 12 - 26.

Collins is looking forward to a tactical battle with St George coach Mick Potter - both have served as assistant coaches to Matt Elliott at the Bradford Bulls. "We're good mates, we speak regularly, but probably not this week" Collins said. "We're definately underdogs going into this game. Everyone's been talking about how good their season's been and they're right. But to think we lost the first two games by plenty, and then we've kicked back to make the top 4, I'm really happy to be honest."

The Raiders have won four games straight. Just two more to go.

woodgers

Bench
I look at the players the Dragons have at their club and I was expecting a dynamic PL team. The stats above suggest they are and I am not doubting that however there are quite a few names I haven't heard of:

Premier League
(1st Preliminary Final)
Coach: Michael Potter

1. Clint GREENSHIELDS
2. Nick YOUNGQUEST
3. Beau SCOTT
4. Wes NAIQAMA
5. Andrew FREW
6. Daniel HOLDSWORTH
7. Brett FIRMAN
8. Bryan NORRIE
9. Aaron GORRELL (c)
10. Michael HENDERSON
11. Henry PERENARA
12. Tony JENSEN
13. Ryan POWELL

14. David TANGATA-TOA
15. Brett WHITE
16. Corey PAYNE
17. Lachlan RUSSELL
18. Lee BENNETT
19. Stacey KATU
20. Wade HUMPHREYS
21. Aaron WHEATLEY
22. Reece WELLINGTON

It will be one mighty contest that is for sure. We can beat them, i'm sure of it.

thickos

First Grade
Look at our run-on 13... that is one incredible PL team. To think it also had Mick Monas, Jace Van Dijk and Gafa in it last season! :shock:

Who cares if they finished first, we have the experience to knock them off.

Go you Green Machine :clap:

Spinach

Juniors
brett firmin is the dragons player im most concerned about. he doesnt deserve to play his season in pl

Imagine our pl team next year! With all the players that we have bought... eg Most of the current pl team plus the likes of Howell's (if they don't play firsts), Ale, Prob Robertson, etc

Kris_man

Bench
thickos said:
Look at our run-on 13... that is one incredible PL team. To think it also had Mick Monas, Jace Van Dijk and Gafa in it last season!
aren't you forgetting someone? :evil: 30 tries in 20 games? :evil:
skeepe said:
How does Milne not make the 17? Grrr. Top side though.
obviously the coach has gone for Russo and Franciscus instead, which i think is fair enough, conisdering russo has scored 9 tries in his last 8 games, and Disco Steve is Disco Steve. anyway, milne's very young (he played in the NSW under-19s earlier in the season) so he'll get his chance.
i'm more surprised at how ben cross doesn't make the starting 13, as he was first grade's starting prop before the injury.

Kris_man

Bench
raiders_lover_18 said:
Imagine our pl team next year! With all the players that we have bought... eg Most of the current pl team plus the likes of Howell's (if they don't play firsts), Ale, Prob Robertson, etc
don't forget Mogg and Tongue.

thickos

First Grade
kris_man said:
thickos said:
Look at our run-on 13... that is one incredible PL team. To think it also had Mick Monas, Jace Van Dijk and Gafa in it last season!
aren't you forgetting someone? :evil: 30 tries in 20 games? :evil:
skeepe said:
How does Milne not make the 17? Grrr. Top side though.
obviously the coach has gone for Russo and Franciscus instead, which i think is fair enough, conisdering russo has scored 9 tries in his last 8 games, and Disco Steve is Disco Steve. anyway, milne's very young (he played in the NSW under-19s earlier in the season) so he'll get his chance.
i'm more surprised at how ben cross doesn't make the starting 13, as he was first grade's starting prop before the injury.

Yes, yes... forgot Rocket. My bad.

I can understand why Cross does not start - Bryant is the captain and Porter is better in the opening stages - he has more endurance. Cross is best utilising his impact off the bench IMO.

Kris_man

Bench
jed said:
Yes krisman, we get that you don't like Mogg or Tongue. Move on.
Not until they're gone completely (no offence Alan or Adam, this is strictly professional criticism, not to be taken personally)

hrundi99

First Grade
If you can't see any value in Mogg, then I'm really surprised.

To me his development has been one of the few highlights this year.