What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Raiders 26 Tigers 4

nickraider

Juniors
Zillman has to be in the starting side whether at fullback or centre. The guy is naturally gifted and will only get better if consistently picked in 1st grade. I didn't think his defence against the tigers was that bad either.

thickos

First Grade
Great result, especially from a confidence-lifting point of view. By my logic it means that the Tigers are spoon material for the Qld cup at that rate :D

But yeah top shelf effort, especially from Carney and Dobson who have had good write-ups. A bit of ball control and structure to play can do wonders.

The forwards apparently were awesome in the second half too :D

ak47

Juniors
i am really excited about our defense this year

from all trials games reports our defense has been praised in each match....well front line defense, have heard of a few lapses at the back @#1

and yes, if we have that along with ball control.....we SHOULD win most.

did anyone get big league today?? the 2007 preview, interview with dunemann and neil henry. Laurie Daley tips us 13th but says we have nothing to lose and if we "pull the trigger" who knows what will happen

pantherz9103

First Grade
canberra are an enigma because they've not been to a grand final for 12 years and in recent years they've had a supposedly weak roster but apart from '05 they always made the 8. Maybe it was elliot's influence or maybe the canberra talent system is underrated.

The problem i see with the squad is the senior players are Best, Bickerstaff, Dunemann, Logan, Withers etc not exactly in the same ilk as Smith, Schifcofske, Croker, Mogg and Woolford are they? Injuries occur and the spoon awaits for sure. A good run with injuries and you never know, rugby league is a funny game.

Chachi

Bench
^
yeah, but you've got to understand that Croker and Woolford were inconsistent at best, Mogg only turned up for 2/3 of the season and Smith was hardly ever 100% (and the focus on him made us the most predictable side in comp).

If our current crop of senior players turn up and play like the have something to prove (which they do) you will see just as much passion and pride in the jersey as Schif ever had. The difference is this year we will have the passion across the board and we'll be far less predictable in attack.

Henry's job will be to keep the young blokes level headed and confident, but at the same time keep that fire burning like they have something to prove. The Sydney media will do the rest.

julian87

Juniors
Is it just me or does it seem like a great deal of people who watch the raiders but don't support them, in recent years, have watched games only knowing and noticing Schif, J Smith, Croker, Woolford and after origin last year Adam Mogg?

joobminty

Juniors
Agree Julian - I have attended most home games at the Raiders for 15 years or so but I don't support them (except financially). I think it reflects Canberra's demographics - lots of people from interstate (particularly qld) here for work.

I go and freeze my ass off at Bruce because I love watching league - not that I hate the Raiders - I barrack for them againsts everyone except the Qld-based sides.

BSB Raiderman

Juniors
the guys who left were not our best just because they were senior & I reckon Elliott had reached his "level of incompetance".

Paullyboy

Coach
My biggest concern is that we haven't matured with Elliott out of the way.

Our biggest problem over the last few years has been our crap performances against the lower ranked teams. Each of the last 3 or 4 seasons we've given up at least 2 or 3 losses to out of form and lowly ranked teams which would have moved us from top 8 to top 4. I initially put it down to Elliott not preparing the team mentally well for games, but unfortunately the one thing this pre-season has proven to me is that it's not going to be that easy to eliminate.

The game against the Tigers showed we have the talent to be a very solid team (despite what everyone else thinks) but the game against Aspley we didnt turn up looking for a game of football - ala our games against Souths, Warriors, Sharks over the last few years.

Chachi

Bench
Yeah, that's a fair point but it was their first game together and I think we really need to see how they go with a bit of confidence and combination.

Unfortunately all the signs leading up to that trial were not good, with talk of us being disappointed with the opposition before a ball was kicked off. I'd find it hard to believe they'd go into an NRL game with the same attitude/complacency given the hammering they've got in the press.

thickos

First Grade
The inconsistency IMO will be there as it has been the past few years. However this time the inexperienced lineup will be the cause, not poor coaching/preparation.

This team of ours will be much better in the back half of the season than at the start when they know how to handle the rigours of an NRL season.

parra pete

Referee
parra pete said:
Take the odds on offer for the Raiders to make the eight. The Raiders will develop into a good side. Youth and pace..a great combination and the Raiders have both.
My friends at Souths Logan told me they played most impressively last night..trial or no trial..

I hope you took my 'tip'. The Raiders will become the Melbourne Storm of 2007.

legend

Coach
Ease up Nick. Obviously Pete is fond of the Raiders and put his money where his mouth is and knows a fair bit about the club and it'splayers, which is more than we can say for others on this forum.

paulquinn49

Bench
haha we would have to have the cattiest supporters going. Get talked down, someone snaps, get talked up someone snaps.

It's win/win or lose/lose depending on how you look at it.

Latest posts