What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Raiders breaking news

Chachi

Bench
haha, any chance you could name 1 off field indiscretion by Paul Gallen?
Yeah, Gallen's an angel. Does being a piss-head knob jockey count as 1 indescretion? Did you notice the bit I said about sweeping issues under the carpet?

His bloody coach had to talk to him last year about growing up and starting to behave like an adult.

Cryptic

Juniors
I'm not happy but not unhappy with the result... Obviously there was more to it than we know so I'm sure they have made the right call... And obviously agree with people telling others to f**k off about how we should have sacked him... As I said earlier why sack someone so they can just get a contract with some other team... Plus since when do people WANT a club just to throw something away because it's f**ked... I think it's a good move... The club is obviously part of the blame for causing the issue (paying him the money, etc) so I'm glad they are fixing up their own sh*t not making it someone elses problem....

edabomb

First Grade
Easy for you guys to say that he should be sacked and that the club is weak etc etc.

Here is POTENTIALLY one of the most talented footballers to ever wear the Lime Green, what is the club supposed to do? Give up on him? Let's remember that he wasn't actually charged with anything this time.

Don't get me wrong I think he's an absolute tool of the highest order and I would not have been upset to see him get sacked, but the club has spent so much time and money on him to give up now.

Imagine if it happened to your Benji, your K. Hunt, your Brett Stewart, etc. I can easily see why the club made this decision.

Mate I respect your opinion, you have been around as long as the rest of us. But come on now he should be sacked. I know it'll throw the club in the deep end for the next decade but his actions have been disgraceful. For a bloke that claims playing for the Raiders is his childhood dream he has been acting an absolute clown.

I would support the suspension if I believed it would bring change, but I figure we're just gonna see incident after incident with this half wit.

I will cheer him while in green, but he will never go down as a Raiders great unless he can pull off another decade scot-free.

Bay56

First Grade
Mate I respect your opinion, you have been around as long as the rest of us. But come on now he should be sacked. I know it'll throw the club in the deep end for the next decade but his actions have been disgraceful. For a bloke that claims playing for the Raiders is his childhood dream he has been acting an absolute clown.

I would support the suspension if I believed it would bring change, but I figure we're just gonna see incident after incident with this half wit.

I will cheer him while in green, but he will never go down as a Raiders great unless he can pull off another decade scot-free.

Edmiester I'm sure as I can be that Todd Carney will change after this episode. I think he will become a better person and will, at the end of his career, be regarded as one of or best. A few of our former greats had an early history similar to Carney's, the difference being that they were not scrutinized by the media as vigorosly. I'm not defending his actions or making excuses but I think there are reasons for Carney's behaviour, alcohol being the demon he has to rid himself of.

The soft option was to sack him ... I applaud the club for not giving up on one of our most talented players.

Chook Norris

First Grade
The Canberra Raiders board have delivered star playmaker Todd Carney an ultimatum to either sit out the rest of the NRL season and seek counselling or lose his contract with the NRL club.
Carney was stood down following a drink session with teammate Bronx Goodwin that landed both men in trouble.
Carney was later cleared of any wrongdoing but Goodwin will face two counts of assault.
"The board met tonight and decided for Todd Carney to remain at the Raiders he will have to accept a plan for the rest of this year which will include being stood down for the rest of the season from playing and training, re-undertaking counselling and he will be off the senior leadership group," club chief executive Don Furner said.
The halfback had allegedly urinated on a person at a Canberra pub but the complaint was later withdrawn.
Goodwin faces his charges of assault on August 11.
No decision has been made on Goodwin's future and Furner said that he would wait until after the court hearing.
Furner said Carney would also have to undertake volunteer work.
"The board also agreed to impose a fine on him," Furner said.
Asked how much the fine was, he said it was "a substantial amount".
The club will sit down with Carney on Monday to put the plan to him.
Furner said he had not spoken with the troubled 22-year-old but had spoken with his manager.

http://www.nrl.com/News/Latest/tabid/10244/default.aspx?id=52134

Rogue.9

Juniors
If they release him he will just sign for another club or code within 2 weeks. Seeing as he was cleared of any wrong doing I think the raiders might have a hard time terminating his contract & letting him stay home on full pay & drink piss for the rest of the year wouldn't be the best idea either. I would still be making him play in reserve grade & attend training so he keeps fit & out of trouble.
I can't really bag the raiders for their decision though as Parra let Tim Smith get away with being a f**kwit for a long time & I couldn't see Mitchell Pierce or Greg Inglis being released by their clubs if they got into trouble while on the piss.

cooba

Juniors
Peter's read a fax this morning on 2ky from a Raiders supporter saying Carney could be going to the Cows next season.

legend

Coach
If he gets in trouble in Canberra, he'll be no chance to get through pre-season up there. There is no way Carney could be on a booze ban in Townsville.

Bay56

First Grade
Peter's read a fax this morning on 2ky from a Raiders supporter saying Carney could be going to the Cows next season.

Yea, heard that as well ... can't see it happening ... can't see Henry wanting to be involved in that ... it would be rated by most RL supporters as a very low act for the exiting coach and I dont think would be taken too lightly by the NRL.

The NRL will take a view that the Raiders are attempting to erradicate the problem rather than shift it to another part of the country.

As much as I was not in favour of his stint on the sidelines last time around I'd have to say I am in two minds on this occasion. My heart wants him on the field, thereby increasing our chances of success on the footy field. My mind is telling me that Carney will take this "punishment" a huge reminder of what he promised last time but did not fulfill.

If Carney's manager has any genuine concern for his client he'll advise him to take the deal offered by the Raiders ... if he's more concerned about the $$$ he'll advise accordingly.

Last edited:

Bay56

First Grade
Reports in the CT times indicate that Carney's manager (David Riolo) will review the incident and and decide whether there were grounds for appealling the Raiders sanctions.

"Riolo, who learned of his client's sanctions just moments before Furner told the media, said Carney was "shattered" and "extremely disappointed"."

"He was hoping to be back on the field next week"

"Riolo agreed that Carney had a problem with alcohol" ... "He doesnt have a drinking problem as he doesnt have to drink everyday or anything like that but when he does drink he has problems, Riolo said"

Bay56

First Grade
I will further add that if the Raiders do not receive the support of the NRL with regard to this matter Gallop should be looking for another job.

Along with the SBW case the NRL has a real chance to make a statement here ... a statement that will give most RL supporters some satisfaction for what seems to be a complete disregard of signed contracts by players and their managers.

This was touched on by the panel on the footy show this morning were all agreed that the Raiders should not be placed in a situation of sacking a player that they have invested in heavily only to see him turn up at Bruce Stadium playing for a rival club.

Helen

Juniors
If they release him he will just sign for another club or code within 2 weeks. Seeing as he was cleared of any wrong doing I think the raiders might have a hard time terminating his contract & letting him stay home on full pay & drink piss for the rest of the year wouldn't be the best idea either. I would still be making him play in reserve grade & attend training so he keeps fit & out of trouble.
I can't really bag the raiders for their decision though as Parra let Tim Smith get away with being a f**kwit for a long time & I couldn't see Mitchell Pierce or Greg Inglis being released by their clubs if they got into trouble while on the piss.

Carney was not cleared of anything.

The complaint was 'withdrawn' by the guy Carney urinated on. This guy is a friend of Dane Tilse. If Carney had done nothing wrong the ultimatum imo would never have been made.

Helen

Walt Flanigan

Referee
This was touched on by the panel on the footy show this morning were all agreed that the Raiders should not be placed in a situation of sacking a player that they have invested in heavily only to see him turn up at Bruce Stadium playing for a rival club.

They did all agree though that the punishment handed out by the club was sufficient.

Obviously he doesn't realise how lucky he is to even still be at the club........, Id be upset to but if I had problems with alcohol itd be something id be doing something about, not appealing

Cryptic

Juniors
Another thing I thought of... A lot of people meantioned he has issues in his past which may have caused the problems he has now... From memory wasn't Mal's brother charged for murder? Not exactly a great family demographic there either... Maybe Mal should talk to Todd about how he handled having a sh*tty upbringing?

Bay56

First Grade
You're right Cryptic and I'm sure the likes of Loz had a word in his ear in the past ... but it obviously went straight through and out the other.

Overall I've heard nothing out of sorts when Carney is sober ... in fact the times I've met the guy he's not been the over-powering, full-of-himself, footballer type. Quite the contrary he's shown a shy person who isnt really confortable with all the attention.

As was stated on The Roast 95% of these cases have one common factor, alchohol ... some realise the problem and some become repeat offenders. If Carney touches the stff again he'll risk uncontrolled behaviour and that quite frankly will be the last straw.

Timbo

Staff member
Overall I've heard nothing out of sorts when Carney is sober ... in fact the times I've met the guy he's not been the over-powering, full-of-himself, footballer type. Quite the contrary he's shown a shy person who isnt really confortable with all the attention.

Funny to hear you say that.

I've met him a couple of times, and he's really had a 'I'm Todd Carney - who the hell are you' mentality about him.

I'm so sick of his bullsh*t I was almost hoping we showed him the door.

The problem with showing him the door - and all the idiots who posted saying we're weak for not showing him the door - is if we do he's playing for Penrith next week.

I would have supported a plan which showed him the door and got him de-registered by the NRL.

I think we've been weak, but given the circumstances, what else could we do.

Bay56

First Grade
I think we've been weak, but given the circumstances, what else could we do.

Dont think we've been week at all Timbo ... I think we've taken the more difficult option, the better option for both parties.

Chachi

Bench
Todd Carney has grown up with an attitude problem. Probably since the day he was told by the Raiders he was the future of the club.

From all I have heard from close friends who have grown up playing against him and the obvious media reports he is not a particularly nice person. I've never met him myself but I have to say I have no desire to either.

Good footballer. Complete dumbass. He's no Robinson Crusoe in that regard either. IMO.

Bay56

First Grade
Do you know of his background Chachi ... not that we should be discussing that here ... just a yes or a no.

Latest posts