What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Raiders downplay problems with coach

Chachi

Bench
Raiders downplay problems with coach
Daniel MacDonald

Canberra Raiders general manager Don Furner has thrown his support behind Neil Henry after reports a rift had developed between the NRL coach and some of his players.
The Canberra Times understands a handful of first graders have complained to Raiders management about some of Henry's techniques during his debut season as head coach.
But Furner believes the players are frustrated and trying to find excuses for the their disappointing season.
Henry yesterday dismissed the reports as gossip.
"I'm not even going to give the satisfaction of responding to it," Henry said.
Furner confirmed that several players had not taken well to disciplinary changes and Henry's tough approach to training.
"When you're losing a few games and the going gets tough some players complain," Furner said. "Some players have found the changes in training a little bit difficult because it's been harder."
Coaching staff will review each player's performance next week and will also address individual complaints.
"I think you'll find the discipline a lot harder and we have to," Furner said. "We're not a side that can take shortcuts."
Henry's disciplined training style included the introduction of compulsory rehabilitation after matches - an initiative some players have not accepted well.
"There's changes and there's been some discipline instilled in them ... certain people, not all of them, look to complain because they're losing the games," Furner said. "It's easy to blame it on somebody else."
Discipline was something Furner said the Raiders needed because they were a young side.
"We perhaps need to train a little bit harder than teams which have got superstars in their team," he said.
"It happened at the Roosters last year. They weren't winning and all of a sudden the training was too hard and the coach was too hard on them. It happened at the Cowboys [where Henry was assistant coach] two years ago."
Raiders skipper Alan Tongue backed Henry and denied there was a lack of harmony in the squad.
"There's no doubt Neil has brought a level of discipline and honesty that has really been great for the players," Tongue said. "He's black and white and you just know where you stand with him."
Henry expected a lot from the Raiders and Tongue said the coach was "just honest about where he thinks people should be and what he wanted from his side".
"He'll learn plenty of things from this year and no doubt he'll chop and change things or he'll keep going with his philosophy on how he wants his side to be coached," Tongue said.
"The bad stories fill more pages than the good stories. None of the players and I don't think Neil will be too concerned about [the reports]. He knows that's the way he coaches, that's the way he is. He tells it how it is and some people can deal with it and some people can't but that's just the way it goes."
Meanwhile, the Raiders' Premier League and Jersey Flegg sides trained last night in preparation for this weekend's finals against the Balmain Tigers.
The reserves line-up against the Tigers at Leichhardt Oval on Saturday at 3pm, while Canberra hosts the Tigers side at Kippax Oval at 2pm on the same day.
http://canberra.yourguide.com.au/detail.asp?class=sport&subclass=rugby+league&story_id=1047445&category=rugby%2520league
Now, I'm guessing we can rule out Alan Tongue from the group of whingers.

Don't want to do rehab after the games like Manly and Melbourne do 'eh?

This is a disgrace. I wonder if any of them will have the balls to stand up and show us who they are.

dubby

Bench
Dont apologise Chachi, this topic deserves its own thread.

My own opinion is that certain personality types have clashed or disaprove of the coaching style of Neil Henry. Ok, thats blatant but it says clearly that some of our players do not take direction, discipline and losing easy. In comes a coach ( a ROOKIE coach) who implements a new style of training where you have to work your bum off, introduces a rehab scheme to help overcome injury and general fatigue, and rewards selection based not just on form but attitude.

Tell me....who has the problem?

If you want your spot in the side then you have to work for it and train hard.

What's wrong with that?

The coach is incapable of bullcrap and tells you straight up what he thinks? Personally, I appreciate that sort of honesty.....as long as its done tactfully. Neil doesnt seem to be the Brian Smith sort of personality but the younger more arrogant guys certainly wont like it. Especially if they get alot of media and attention from fans. Its not easy to be a crowd/media favourite then have your coach tell you what HE thinks. Afterall, he's the one who picks you so his opinion means something.

To the players who cant cop it, I say Grow Up! Get your head right, work hard and you will go a long way. By sooking about it, you just look immature.

Chachi

Bench
Couldn't have said it better myself mate. Reminds me of the time in High School where we were going to walk out of class in protest of the teachers making all our assignments due in the same week. Boy that was unfair.

Wish I played footy good enough so I could drop out of school and become a drop kick in adult life.

Maybe they should get a note from their mums to excuse them from rehab.

**** I'm angry.

mongoose

Coach
I suspect there are certain players who think that the Canberra Raiders is a holiday and that the club should be lucky just to have them on the roster. Henry needs to bring in some ex players like Mal and Badge to set them straight if thats the case.

Chachi

Bench
mongoose said:
I suspect there are certain players who think that the Canberra Raiders is a holiday and that the club should be lucky just to have them on the roster. Henry needs to bring in some ex players like Mal and Badge to set them straight if thats the case.
Yes yes yes. Mal, Badge, Boxhead, Daley - all these legends should be brought down in the off season to show support and give a hand at training. Shows the young fellas what it really means to play for Canberra and to instill some lost pride in the jersey.

Makes me angry that most of these kids are on more money than many of our greats ever earned yet they don't have any idea how privileged they are to represent our club.

I'm not saying Raiders HQ should be some sort of a boot camp the whole time, but complaining about doing rehab and actually being told when you're not performing says a lot about the attitude issues here. We're not a bloody charity.

cooba

Juniors
There is one particular player who has actually posted on the green raider denigrating the reseve grade coach,sooks around not attending rehab, who will not be here next year.
Good riddance to this player, who has gone out of his way to destabilise the club.
Thank goodness we have players of the calibre of Alan Tongue who are prepared to stand up and say how it is.

ak47

Juniors
The slip of the tongue comments - is what its all about

Now f**k off you winginig premadonna spoilt brats

You need the pain to get the gain

This article if anything - Makes Henry even more respectable now.

Most our roster are younger than 25........most were born after 1983.....they wouldnt know what hard work was until they go to war.

Bunch of cry baby emotional emo's!!!

oh precious sons, pull out that chemical romance album and grab some kleenex

they got 1 offseason to get hard......

i say grab Backo n co and go pig/roo shooting for a week

dubby

Bench
Chachi and Mongoose; I echo your sentiments 100%.

These kids (if that is who they are) need to appreciate what they have.

Imagine Darius Boyd and Steve Micheals going to Bruno Cullen and saying.."Wayne trains us too hard and makes me stretch after training. Its too hard and I'm telling my mum!"

Please.

Chachi

Bench
cooba said:
There is one particular player who has actually posted on the green raider denigrating the reseve grade coach,sooks around not attending rehab, who will not be here next year.
Good riddance to this player, who has gone out of his way to destabilise the club.
Thank goodness we have players of the calibre of Alan Tongue who are prepared to stand up and say how it is.
Pamatangi, Frawley, Irwin, Dunny...join the queue...

cooba said:

Who is it?

green eyed mike

Juniors
At least we have a captain who shows what can be achieved through sheer hard work and determination. Tongue was never gifted anything but worked his arse off to even play first grade. If some of our younger players who have bucket loads more talent had the same work ethic you can guarantee we would be posting about this weeks game and not about how hard the coach is (or isn't) on the players.

I say to any whingers out there have a teaspoon of concrete and harden the f@ck up!

ak47 said:
oh precious sons, pull out that chemical romance album and grab some kleenex

they got 1 offseason to get hard......

i say grab Backo n co and go pig/roo shooting for a week

LMFAO

Bay56

First Grade
Well lets hope that this disciplinary stuff works a treat next season huh guys because if it doesnt we're in for another of those "dis' words to describe a season.

I think I'd rather a coach that talks with his players than one that talks down.

Brimmer

Juniors
Sounds like the club requires a complete cultural change.

I'm all for the coach. It's quite easy to put a turnstile in at raiders headquarters and have new coaches come in year in year out. But if it really is the players that need adjustment it doesn't really matter what coach you have.

I believe Henry has the goods to turn this team around. We may lose a couple of players along the way but we need a hard nut to bring some of these guys into line.

I look back at my own footy. If we lost.. we were owned by our coach. He told us exactly what he thought but I saw that as a motivator?

If we lost on a friday... it would be the 'road run' on monday which was truly terrifying. A great motivator not to lose. And we responded.

What I'm trying to get to is that seems like the players want the reward before the effort. They did absolutely nothing this year to warrent any. If we were coming 4th would Henry be as much of a prick? I doubt it. Not knowing the man personally though..

I think the problem is between the players
Ive heard Carney is not very popular with his teammates and i believe that because i have met him and he is the biggest deads.hit

Chachi

Bench
Yep, the alleged problem with the coach is clearly because the rest of the team hates Carney because you don't like him either. :lol:

I think the problem with the coach is because Scott Logan drives a VW Golf which is the same colour as my sister's car which always breaks down.