What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Raiders have to start buying.

melon....

Coach
No they dont. I said it in my pre season review and Ill say it again. They are rebuilding and will be competitive in 2 years with what theyve got. They are showing good signs already...forget last week's blowout. Teh Knights jst got the better bounce of the ball.

The key is treating their kids well, so they want to stay there. Management needs a shake up not the recruitment.

parra_princess

Juniors
They may be doing a good job blooding their juniors but you look at the Premiers over the past 8 years and they've all had the right mix of youth and experience/rep players. Canberra have no rep players. They are a truly boring side to watch and unless they pay players rediculous amounts of cash they won't get any star players. It's Canberra the most boring place in all of Australia. No Rugby League player wants to live in that boring place. Didn't the Raiders offer Mason a huge contract last year and he rejected it citing that very reason?

Having lived in canberra for 18 years before I moved away I can say that unless you are an adrenalin junkie or into club hopping big time, then there is no reason why you wouldnt enjoy living in canberra, its a lot more laidback than sydney, the roads and traffic are a lot better, aside from the politicians, its really not that bad

bad_doggy_bad

Juniors
Canberra "was" cool, now we can't buy ridiculous amonts of fireworks over the counter anymore... But I suppose legalised pot and prostitutes compensates a little. ;)

forumbanner6cl.jpg

colonel_123

Juniors
Perth Red said:
Are the Raiders skint? There must be financial reasons why year after year they fail to attract any big name players to Canberra. They look a bit of a basket case at the moment and when you are banking your season on a player of the age and physical fraility of Jason Smith you know you are going to be in strife!

Canberra's actually one of the most financially secure teams in the competition, supported by a very profitable leagues club.

Someone commented on the unhealthy reliance on Jason Smith, and seriously, that's very true.

The Raiders aren't winning anything this season with or without veterans like Jason Smith & Simon Woolford, both of whom are stymying the development of a young side by denying younger players meaningful roles and opportunities.

I think the Raiders need to bite the bullet and shift Withers to hooker, give Carney the reigns to the team, and stop with the experimental BS they are toying with at the minute.

01. Clinton Schifcofske (c) GK
02. Marshall Chalk (What's he done wrong in his limited first grade opportunities?)
03. Adam Mogg
04. Phil Graham
05. Craig Frawley (When healthy if nor Howell or Purtell)
06. Jason Smith (get out of first receiver & play second fiddle to Carney)
07. Todd Carney
08. Troy Thompson
09. Lincoln Withers
10. Michael Hodgson (If he can stay healthy is a beast)
11. Ben Jones
12. Jason Croker
13. Alan Tongue
------------------------------
14. Will Zillman (To spell Smith or replace Carney if struggling)
15. Tom Leahroyd-Lahrs
16. Willie Raston
17. Andrew Lomu

With Josh Miller and Michael Weyman as certain inclusions at the expense of Lomu and Raston if they were available.

Woolford probably had his best offensive game in 2 years on the weekend but he's just forcing the younger, more dangerous Withers out of position by playing hooker.

The Raiders need to cut Smith, Croker, and Woolford loose at years end and chase some quality younger guys struggling for opportunities elsewhere.

The outside backs and back row are suspect but truly, outside Schifcofske, the whole lineup is a little suss. :?

Raider_69

Post Whore
Human Wrecking Ball said:
Someone commented on the unhealthy reliance on Jason Smith, and seriously, that's very true.

The Raiders aren't winning anything this season with or without veterans like Jason Smith & Simon Woolford, both of whom are stymying the development of a young side by denying younger players meaningful roles and opportunities.

I think the Raiders need to bite the bullet and shift Withers to hooker, give Carney the reigns to the team, and stop with the experimental BS they are toying with at the minute.

01. Clinton Schifcofske (c) GK
02. Marshall Chalk (What's he done wrong in his limited first grade opportunities?)
03. Adam Mogg
04. Phil Graham
05. Craig Frawley (When healthy if nor Howell or Purtell)
06. Jason Smith (get out of first receiver & play second fiddle to Carney)
07. Todd Carney
08. Troy Thompson
09. Lincoln Withers
10. Michael Hodgson (If he can stay healthy is a beast)
11. Ben Jones
12. Jason Croker
13. Alan Tongue
------------------------------
14. Will Zillman (To spell Smith or replace Carney if struggling)
15. Tom Leahroyd-Lahrs
16. Willie Raston
17. Andrew Lomu

With Josh Miller and Michael Weyman as certain inclusions at the expense of Lomu and Raston if they were available.

Woolford probably had his best offensive game in 2 years on the weekend but he's just forcing the younger, more dangerous Withers out of position by playing hooker.

The Raiders need to cut Smith, Croker, and Woolford loose at years end and chase some quality younger guys struggling for opportunities elsewhere.

well said. There is alot to like about that team

Stuart

Juniors
Raider_69 said:
well said. There is alot to like about that team

Except Hodgson, he is horrible at the moment and has been for over a season now. I just cant fathom how he became as bad as he has become.

Raiders Plight

Juniors
We're not a club that needs to attract big names like the roosters or sharks. The only big names this club ever bought were Meninga, Belcher, Jackson and Backo all in the late 80s. Otherwise we have always relied on junior development with the occasional signing of a solid first grader (Schif, Frawley etc). We definately have some coaching issues, elliot knows how to get the most out of the experienced players but doesn't seem to know how to nurse and develope the younger guys. We need someone who can do that.

That loss on the weekend will do the club more good than bad, it could be the shake up we needed. The raiders very rarely have 50 put on them in any game so 70 points at home is completely unacceptable.

cainen

Juniors
Raider Ultra said:
Canberra is in the top 3 most financially viable clubs, along with the Panthers and Dogs.

Penrith has a huge asset base, but got bad cash flow problems at the moment...they're creating new cash flows by selling off assets, not very sustainable.

But still, they're not going broke anytime soon I doubt.

Latest posts