What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Raiders (mis)Management

Bay56

First Grade
jed said:
OK smartypants, how do you suggest we do that? Their positions are not voted for by the Raiders membership, so how are we going to get rid of management?

And therein lies the $M ?? jed ...

As I stated in my opening post I dont know what hold current management have on this franchise ... what I am certain about is that positions are being held that are based on name, friendships, nepotism, and not on ability.

What I am also certain about is that sooner or later these larrikans are going to have to perform as the Canberra public will not allow us to habitat the foot of the table for much longer .... will a group of businesmen than make a take-over deal fully backed by the NRL ???

mitch

Juniors
Although I hate to admit it I think the club was much better managed during the Kevin Neill/Robert Finch (super league) era.
Think about it we had no trouble attracting sponsors
-Oracle
-Ozemail
-Compuware
All of which are pretty big companies.Also although we didnt get any BIG name players we still could recruit good first grade players.
Take a look at the situation we have now ,we can hardly get any good players to come down to the raiders and we are paying TOO MUCH for the players we have now.We are also finding it hard to attract sponsors and the main thing CROWDS.

In the offseason I read in the Sunday Telegraph that the raiders had recruited some sports marketing firm to find us a sponsor (when fone zone wasnt going to sponsor us) and nothing came of it and we had to settle FOR LESS to get fone zone to sponsor us again.Although I dont want to bag our sponsors for next year (CFMEU) i think we can do much better than a union sponsoring a PROFESSIONAL first grade team.

I dont want to sound bleek because I think we have a great junior base and some great young guys here but if we don't start to improve things SOON it will just be a matter of time before guys like Learoyd-Lahrs,Weyman and Tilse are willing to leave the club like so many before them.So get your act together raiders management before we become the laughing stock of the league,because we are heading that way now.
This is just one raiders fans opinion.

Bay56

First Grade
Agree with your comments Mitch ... especially the likes of our junior talent leaving for greener pastures ... once you get into this spiral it is very difficult to get back on equal grounds with other more successful clubs ... the Rabbits are imo now on the way back up but it will take a few seasons to regain that credibility.

The fact is that we are obviously regarded by many to be a footballing backwater, much like the Rabbits.

Ask yourself why ... if a business losses it's customers at a rate of knots you can generally put that down to poor product, promotion or a combination of both ... if managment is smart they will have recognised the drop in sales and taken the necessary steps to rectify the product and/or promotion.

Imo the last five years have seen some of the worst decisions made by this club ... I think the old family members have lost touch with the realities of running a football club in the current envronment and have handed over the reigns to family members and friends who equally do not have that expertise.

I will await the next few weeks to see if we can regain some of that respect with a decent signing or two ... heck, whatever that idiot Furner says we must be way under the salary cap ... either that or we were way over it last season.

Bay56

First Grade
Bay56 said:
I will await the next few weeks to see if we can regain some of that respect with a decent signing or two ... heck, whatever that idiot Furner says we must be way under the salary cap ... either that or we were way over it last season.

who am I trying to kid ....

YOU FARKARSES MANAGEMENT !!!!

:crazy: :BDH: :evil: :crazy:

hrundi99

First Grade
Once again you're assuming that Myles wanted to go to Canberra and management somehow stuffed it up.

Maybe Myles just really likes lattes...?

Bay56

First Grade
hrundi99 said:
Once again you're assuming that Myles wanted to go to Canberra and management somehow stuffed it up.

Maybe Myles just really likes lattes...?

And once again you are wrong ...

I have not stated anywhere that he wanted to come to Canberra ...

what I have said is that management, on the face of it, and once again, have not presented the appropriate enducements to get us over the line when, on the face of it, we seem to be cashed up to do so.

Btw I think you are assuming that Myles likes lattes :lol:

hrundi99

First Grade
Why is it management's fault that he wanted to stay in Sydney?

Your expectations of them are too high in this case.

You need to take your Canberra goggles off. Most people don't appreciate it and don't want to live there.

Bay56

First Grade
hrundi99 said:
Why is it management's fault that he wanted to stay in Sydney?

Your expectations of them are too high in this case.

You need to take your Canberra goggles off. Most people don't appreciate it and don't want to live there.

who are "most people" mate ... are you referring to Ben f**king Ikin "when I left Brisbane it was 22 deg ... its 8 deg down here but it feels like minus 5"

Mal Meninga

Bench
We were over the cap last season despite coming 2nd last and not having a rep player at any level. If that isn't proof of mis-management than I don't know what is? Along with news that we ONLY have 400k more to play with next season despite the departures of Smith, Hodgson, Woolford, Schif, Mogg and maybe Toots, it highlight's the ineptness of the whole ordeal.

P.S Their is a cap raise next season, FWIW.

Tokyo_Raider

Juniors
Bay56 said:
And once again you are wrong ...

I have not stated anywhere that he wanted to come to Canberra ...

what I have said is that management, on the face of it, and once again, have not presented the appropriate enducements to get us over the line when, on the face of it, we seem to be cashed up to do so.

Bay, you really are a dumb bastard. You can take any situation and spin it till it has absolutely no resembelence to reality.

There were at least 5 clubs after Myles. They offered a variety of lifestyles stretching the length of the Australian East coast. You have absolutely no idea on what basis Myles made his decision, so claiming that management are in some way culpable for this is just absurd.

What inducement would you have offered? Moving the club to Bondi?

For someone who prides himself on never chasing the dollar, has it occurred to you that perhaps Myles felt the same way, and just didn't want to live in Canberra?

Or doesn't that suit your own personal little view of reality?

legend

Coach
I'm not fussed we didn't get Myles as I never believed we were in the race.

Having said that, management give off a stench of incompetence and it's there for all to see and smell so if I was a player, I wouldn't want to come to Canberra either.

To be honest, we are club in disarray on the downward spiral with little hope of resurrecting our fortunes under the current regime.

We have exces from teh club publicly stating they are after a high profile coach and what do we do, hire another unproven NRL coach, our third in succession so of course the litany of failures is set to continue.

hrundi99

First Grade
Bay56 said:
who are "most people" mate ... are you referring to Ben f**king Ikin "when I left Brisbane it was 22 deg ... its 8 deg down here but it feels like minus 5"

It seems to me that you get a bit sensitive whenever someone raises the merits (or lack thereof) of Canberra as somewhere to live.

Why would Nova run an ad taking the piss out of Canberra? Like it or not, it's an attitude that is common amongst most Australians.

This doesn't excuse management's potential weaknesses in other areas, but as TR said, the club can't do much about that.

The emphasis for the club has to be on blokes from the bush (or NZ or the pacific islands), and sure enough most of our roster IS from the bush. Often enough you can only sign these blokes relatively young. We've done well at signing young guys with potential but they don't always become 1st rate NRLers.

Bay56

First Grade
Tokyo_Raider said:
Bay, you really are a dumb bastard. You can take any situation and spin it till it has absolutely no resembelence to reality.

There were at least 5 clubs after Myles. They offered a variety of lifestyles stretching the length of the Australian East coast. You have absolutely no idea on what basis Myles made his decision, so claiming that management are in some way culpable for this is just absurd.

What inducement would you have offered? Moving the club to Bondi?

For someone who prides himself on never chasing the dollar, has it occurred to you that perhaps Myles felt the same way, and just didn't want to live in Canberra?

Or doesn't that suit your own personal little view of reality?

Quite frankly T_R I think you might be the "dumb bastard" with little view of reality.

Get real mate ... it's not just Myles we are talking about here.

It could have been the Rabbits and us going for Myles signature and I'd bet management wouldnt snag it.

Could you also please explain to me why players have a propensity to go to Melbourne ... weather ??, lifestyle ??, coach??, management?? ... or maybe they just dont want to play for a pack of losers.

And since when have I said that a player shouldnt chase the dollar.

Bay56

First Grade
hrundi99 said:
It seems to me that you get a bit sensitive whenever someone raises the merits (or lack thereof) of Canberra as somewhere to live.

Why would Nova run an ad taking the piss out of Canberra? Like it or not, it's an attitude that is common amongst most Australians.

This doesn't excuse management's potential weaknesses in other areas, but as TR said, the club can't do much about that.

The emphasis for the club has to be on blokes from the bush (or NZ or the pacific islands), and sure enough most of our roster IS from the bush. Often enough you can only sign these blokes relatively young. We've done well at signing young guys with potential but they don't always become 1st rate NRLers.

No I dont get sensitive mate ... more I would say that you are, once the issue of Raiders mismanagement raises its head.

But I do find that it shows a complete ignorance of Canberra and it's lifestyle ... I have met a lot of people who haved moved to Canberra (the neighbours house used to be an accredited rental home for the Army) ... to a man they loved their stay here and intended to move back at some time.

Irrespective of that I agree with your statement "This doesn't excuse management's potential weaknesses in other areas" ... and that is where the real problem lies.

Imo your last paragraph indicates that you have been listening to the likes of Raiders management a bit too much.

I'll lay this scenario on you ... our management is headed by Gus Gould and Nick Politis, Our coach is Ricky Stuart. Do you think "Canberra' becomes an issue ??

hrundi99

First Grade
Bay56 said:
No I dont get sensitive mate ... more I would say that you are, once the issue of Raiders mismangement raises its head.

We'll have to agree to disagree.

But I do find that it shows a complete ignorance of Canberra and it's lifestyle ... I have met a lot of people who haved moved to Canberra (the neighbours house used to be an accredited rental home for the Army) ... to a man they loved their stay here and intended to move back at some time.

I was born in Canberra and most of my family still lives in Canberra and I have spent PLENTY of time there. I'm very biased in that I like the place a lot. Having said that, I'd only move there if a good position at the Raiders became available, and in all honesty my wife has no interest in moving there.

You really are kidding yourself though if you think the average 20-something with money would want to live there.

Canberrans sometimes tend to be a bit myopic, and I think you're showing that. The fact that you love Canberra is great, but you needn't be annoyed that others don't.

Irrespective of that I agree with your statement "This doesn't excuse management's potential weaknesses in other areas" ... and that is where the real problem lies.

Imo your last paragraph inidicates that you have been listening to the likes of Raiders management a bit too much.

On the contrary, I think I'm just being realistic. Young people "demand" more out of life these days. They are less likely to work hard and sacrifice for long term success. Young quality players want to sign for big bucks and play for the "big" clubs, and effectively take the easy way out.

Young footy players used to drive Falcons or Commodores and listen to Chisel or AC-DC. Now they drive Evos or Skylines and listen to modern "R&B" and get their ears pierced.

I'll lay this scenario on you ... our management is headed by Gus Gould and Nick Politis, Our coach is Ricky Stuart. Do you think "Canberra' becomes an issue ??

Well having worked for the Roosters my opinion may be biased but ultimately I still think it would be an issue. The jury's still out on Stuart's coaching ability. Myles was obviously dazzled by Bondi and the potential of the hangers-on and making the social pages.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Marc Herbert [CNTDN] said:
Remember all the armchair experts who said getting rid of Elliott was the key to bringing in rep players from all over the NRL??? Wonder what they think of the first recruitment drive without Elliott here for next year.....

why would you come a club leaking players, with inept management and an untried coach
give it 2 years under henry and we will be a decent chance at getting a name player... we're f**ked till then, and that is because of contributors filtering right back to the mal coaching days

sydraider

First Grade
If we cant attract Marquee signings and the average 20 something from abroad wont come here and we rely on players from the bush etc, then that should mean our primary aim is to have a coaching structure in place that can turn sed players we can attract into solid first graders and possibly future NRL stars.

Furner and Benny, Sheensy could do it, Meninga and Elliot couldnt.

My point is, if we are restricted to a certain type of market for players, wouldnt you as management, go hell bent on bringing in mentors that could compensate for this and possibly make future champions?

The only positive from management is the exclusivity (if theres such a word) of the wok, to assist henry. Apart from that its a total shambles.
Henry might turn out to be the coach we are all hoping for, then again he might not.

Fact is, there are some great juniors in the area and abroad, if we are to make a go of it, it should come down to coaching and recruitment and no matter how many of you stick up for management, at the end of the day they are responsible for the plight of the club. Its ben a sh*thouse performance from them so far.

hrundi99

First Grade
sydraider said:
If we cant attract Marquee signings and the average 20 something from abroad wont come here and we rely on players from the bush etc, then that should mean our primary aim is to have a coaching structure in place that can turn sed players we can attract into solid first graders and possibly future NRL stars.

Furner and Benny, Sheensy could do it, Meninga and Elliot couldnt.

My point is, if we are restricted to a certain type of market for players, wouldnt you as management, go hell bent on bringing in mentors that could compensate for this and possibly make future champions?

The only positive from management is the exclusivity (if theres such a word) of the wok, to assist henry. Apart from that its a total shambles.
Henry might turn out to be the coach we are all hoping for, then again he might not.

Fact is, there are some great juniors in the area and abroad, if we are to make a go of it, it should come down to coaching and recruitment and no matter how many of you stick up for management, at the end of the day they are responsible for the plight of the club. Its ben a sh*thouse performance from them so far.

I tend to agree with you.

Let's hope that the wraps that Henry has on him are justified.

Recruitment is also very important. We seem to do quite well at picking quality juniors, but we need to do it even better, and we need to be able to "groom" those juniors more effectively.

We've had success with Weyman, etc but there is still improvement to be made. I'm yet to be sold on Carney as a consistent match-winning half, but I think he just needs to be thrown the jumper next year and by the end of the season we'll know whether he deserves it or not.

Bay56

First Grade
Raiders place faith in rookies
By James Hooper
July 15, 2006

CANBERRA'S general manager Don Furner has defended the Raiders' long-term vision in the wake of the shock departure of Queensland Origin fullback Clinton Schifcofske.

Although the Raiders will lose a collective 827 games worth of NRL talent next season, Furner has thrown his full support behind the incoming rookie coach Neil Henry - and has backed Canberra's conservative recruitment policy.

Admitting the Raiders have not signed a "Sydney superstar" in the club's 25-year history, Furner feels Canberra's junior development policy is the only way forward for the once-mighty green machine.

And the Raiders general manager has pointed to a promising crop of rookies headed by Todd Carney, William Zillman, Thom Learoyd-Lahrs and Dane Tilse as the solution to the exodus of experienced Canberra players.

"We're very disappointed losing Clinton.

"He's been our best player for the past couple of years - he is our captain and we certainly didn't expect that to happen," Furner said.

"But we're a development club. You look at our history and we've never really attracted a big-name player in the 25 years of being in the top league.

"We're not the first choice for a lot of people in terms of lifestyle and where they want to live.

"The Gold Coast being admitted to the league has presented another challenge for us but it won't be the end of the world.

"Some clubs have geographic advantages, some don't. I can't help it if the weather is cold in Canberra.

"We're not on the beach at Manly with all that has to offer, but we are attractive to a lot of people.

"Some players don't like the hustle and bustle of city living in Sydney.

"We've got a fairly big catchment area in terms of juniors. We try to lure young players from Queensland and we sign people who are looking for a chance in the NRL."

As well as the departure of Schifcofske, the Raiders will also lose experienced NRL stars Simon Woolford, Jason Smith, Michael Hodgson and Adam Mogg.

However, Mogg is currently attempting to manoeuvre his way out of his three-year contract with Super League club Les Catalans so that he can remain in Canberra.

And Raiders veteran Jason Croker will remain in the national capital for the 2007 season provided he fails to find a two-year deal at an English club.

http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,19789678-23214,00.html

#####################################

so doesnt South Sydney have "the weather" and "the beaches" .. or maybe they dont have "the management" (until recently).

ohh Mr Hawkins/Furner how about down in Mexico ... huh, over there if you dont like "the weather" just wait 5 mins.

If this club was run by the likes Gould and Politis I dont think we'd be whinging about weather and beaches.

Copa

Bench
He can blame the weather and location of canberra all he wants.. but the Brumbies still pull double the crowd at double the price for a (in my opinion) lower quality product... fi the brumbies can do it.. the raiders should be able to... but I don't think the Raiders have the management talent to build crowds ... our mimimum crowd level needs to rise.. they need to build the number of people who will come rain hail or shine, win, lose of draw.

Latest posts