What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Raiders retro (1987) jersey - for Manly game

jed

First Grade
As has already been mentioned in another thread, the Raiders will be wearing a jersey this week that is essentially the same as the 1987 jersey. Differences are that it is made from polyester (not cotton), and we have the Fone Zone logo in place of the old sponsor (Woodgers? McFadden?). These will be available to buy over the next few weeks from jerseys.com.au

Also, the reconciliation jersey will apparently be available to buy on the day at the ground. There is no word as yet whether it will be available to buy after this time, and if so, where from.

greeneyed

First Grade
McFadden's only ever sponsored us for one game... the World Club Challenge in 1990 from memory.... they announced a big sponsorship and then promptly went broke. So the McFadden's jersey is rare.

jed

First Grade
I'll be wearing one of the old jerseys this weekend, either the McFadden or Video Ezy.

For anyone who can't remember what the jersey looks like, it's kind of like
raiders3.gif
but with the Fone Zone logo.

Raider Azz

Bench
I have both a Woodgers jesey and a Canberra Milk jersey, but theres no chance I'd fit into either of them :lol: I'll be wearing my 80's rain jacket though. (I wear it to every game anyway, so it doesn't really make a difference)

jed

First Grade
there's now a clear photo of the whole jersey

raiders87_r1_c1.jpg
raiders87_r1_c2.jpg
raiders87_r1_c3.jpg
raiders87_r1_c4.jpg
raiders87_r1_c5.jpg

Gotta say, I like it!

thickos

First Grade
Looks absolutely brilliant :clap:

Poor choice of jersey model from the club though #-o I'm a big Joel fan that but that is dumb from a PR perspective. The fans were/are not happy.

mike83au

Juniors
Thanks for the pic Jed.

I love that jersey - it's doing things for me :lol: :?

But in the background, the Canberra Stadium goal posts look broken.

Love the jersey, although to be nitpicky I'd prefer blue trim instead of the white around the sleeves and neck.

That should be our permanent jersey!

Raider Azz

Bench
I like that picture with Parliament House in the background. If there was any other player but Joel modelling I'd make a sig out of it #-o

I agree with thickos, I'm a fan of Joel but he's leaving next year - poor model choice.

In Big League both Joel and Brother Michael are on the front cover showing off the jerseys... I guess thats why they used Joel.

jed

First Grade
I Bleed Green said:
Love the jersey, although to be nitpicky I'd prefer blue trim instead of the white around the sleeves and neck.

Yeah, the white makes the jersey look a lot more washed out than the blue trim. But white is also what we had on our jersey back then, I guess they wanted to be as accurate as possible, right down to the Raiders logo.

Raiders_Azz said:
In Big League both Joel and Brother Michael are on the front cover showing off the jerseys... I guess thats why they used Joel.

This pic was taken in the same shoot as the cover shoot, that's why Joel is the model here. I'd personally have preferred Woolford for the picture, or else Croker. But they wanted the cover to be about the first time the 2 brothers have played against each other, who am I to tell them what to do?

edabomb

First Grade
Yea its pretty nice looking, but times have changed. I would love for us to go back to the woolen jerseys but it's just not going to happen. Is this 1 available for sale?? I probably won't buy it anyway, it doesn't look too dissimilar to the current one. Geez I'm bored, last 40minutes for a 4 hours break between lectures. Someone reply with a debatable comment - eg. Poida is gay :lol: :lol: . Hang on, I said debatable :lol:

hrundi99

First Grade
I think I'll wear my 20th anniversary jersey on Sunday. I've never worn it and I was going to get it framed, but aw shucks, I haven't got the wall space anyway...

(mustn't forget the sunnies) 8)

hrundi99

First Grade
Quick...type something relevant...

I remember watching the '87 GF and I was sure that O'Connor's try was scored on the back of a blatant forward pass.

The try subsequently broke the Raiders backs and the game was gone.

Or did I just have the old Green Goggles on back then as a 17 year old?

Livebynight

Juniors
Why is it the never get the colour exactly how it was back then?
If its suposed to be reverting back to the old jersey it should be 100% the same i feel.

They didn't get the colour right when we had some jersey that was suposed to be back to the lime green (when we had that other green jersey).

Its good but yeah doesn'y feel right because its not the same.
I like the current jersey as its like a new version of the old design. Using the arm bands down the sides of the jersey.

jed

First Grade
The other (20th Anniversary) was Puma's fault, they didn't think the lime green of old would work (I always think the 20th Anniversary one looks more yellow than green)

Latest posts