What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Raiders Team for Round 1

thickos

First Grade
1. Ben HORNBY
2. Nathan BLACKLOCK
3. Mark GASNIER
4. Matt COOPER
5. Reece SIMMONDS
6. Trent BARRETT (c)
7. Brett FIRMAN
8. Luke BAILEY
9. Mark RIDDELL
10. Nathan LONG
11. Dean YOUNG
12. Henry PERENARA
13. Shaun TIMMINS

14. Ashton SIMS
15. Brent KITE
16. Justin POORE
17. Lincoln WITHERS
18. Lance THOMPSON
19. Ryan POWELL

There's the dragons team. I expect Sims to be omitted, he's carrying an injury. Two of that bench are debutants. Strong backline they have but we kill em in the forwards.

burley griffin

Juniors
Gee that looks like a strong St.George side. Not to worry though, i actually think that Elliot has picked a brilliant side. Personally, i think that he has picked the best three-quarter combination at the club, even if graham and evans were fit.

The only concern would seem to be the fact that our only back reserve is a wing/fullback. How often do you see replacements being made in these positions? I would feel much more comfortable if Campese was on the bench.

And it is also a bit of a concern that we have only 7 backs in our squad of 17 (if you count croker as a forward).

Poida_Raider

Bench
ahh i think its an ok team. obviously not our best, but hopefully they can do well, i think the can anyways!

I think the plan is for Gafa to replace Boogs during the match so that Boogs can move into the forwards. Matty raved about Boogs in that role during the trials, I think it makes sense.

thickos

First Grade
we've got forwards coming out of our arse though! I don't think shifting Boogs is necessary, unless all the forwards are buggered or there's an injury. I have nothing against Gafa and congrats to making FG again but I, like Nick, would really like a half/utility on the bench.

raider_at_heart

Juniors
Yeh i like the look of Marty at half and Croker at 5/8th. Marty will have a field day in attack with bombs and grubbers to Joel. And Toots smashing Barrett in defence.
Well thats what i reckon is gonna happen.

Tidus_Raider

Bench
Ithink best way you could describe the selections is conservative. Strong pack. Good to see Martin starting. Backline looks a tad week. Personally would have prefered Gafa ahead of Robertson and Graham ahead of Boogs.

We'll see on game day.

ball boy

Bench
the team isnt that bad our fowards are great i would have just ratherd Campo and Phil in the side but im sure Matty knows what hes doing

greeneyed

First Grade
Paullyboy said:
Surely you guys have realised by now that Graham aint going to be playing much this year! How long will it take you to realise that Elliott obviously isnt interested in him?

I don't think it is accurate to say the coach is not interested in Graham. He has made a lot of public comments to the contrary ie he is expecting Graham to spend most of his time in first grade this season. He couldn't be picked this week as he is injured.

greeneyed

First Grade
thickos said:
Graham is perfectly fit, thats the odd thing.... not to make the PL side is bordering on the ridiculous. :?

No it was announced on WIN TV news that Drew, Graham, Thompson and Tongue all were unavailable.

greeneyed

First Grade
thickos said:
1. Ben HORNBY
2. Nathan BLACKLOCK
3. Mark GASNIER
4. Matt COOPER
5. Reece SIMMONDS
6. Trent BARRETT (c)
7. Brett FIRMAN
8. Luke BAILEY
9. Mark RIDDELL
10. Nathan LONG
11. Dean YOUNG
12. Henry PERENARA
13. Shaun TIMMINS

14. Ashton SIMS
15. Brent KITE
16. Justin POORE
17. Lincoln WITHERS
18. Lance THOMPSON
19. Ryan POWELL

There's the dragons team. I expect Sims to be omitted, he's carrying an injury. Two of that bench are debutants. Strong backline they have but we kill em in the forwards.

I don't know why anyone would say St George has a lot stronger personnel on paper, but it does seem to be the view in the Sydney media that St George has one of the strongest teams in the competition on paper (as opposed to what they put together as a team).

Blacklock, Gasnier and Barrett are of course strong in the backline... but we have McLinden, Schifcofske and Monaghan. I would go with our forward pack over theirs. We will see though what happens on the day.

raider_at_heart

Juniors
I've been thinking and Elliot has named a very good defensive backline to combat the Dragons attack and and the more i see the side the more i like it. Mogg and Bulgarelli are great defenders in the centres and having Croker in the backs also strengthens our defence. Robbo is there for his defence as well.
And hopefully Marty will take care of attack by himself which he has done before.
And not having Drew improves our defence as well.

Raider_69

Post Whore
greeneyed said:
thickos said:
Graham is perfectly fit, thats the odd thing.... not to make the PL side is bordering on the ridiculous. :?

No it was announced on WIN TV news that Drew, Graham, Thompson and Tongue all were unavailable.

that puts my mind at ease

Anonymous

Juniors
The strike power concerns me. No doubt we can outmuscle them in the forwards, but aside from Marty and Choc, there is no wow factor in our backs.

Also, as already mentioned here, Marty doesn't have Drew coming off the bench to help share the playmaking burden. I would have hoped to see Campo or Drew in there. Same with flying Phil. He has said strike power. Ditto Jimmy Evans.

It concerns me. However I'll back the boys no matter who we take in. I think there will be game day changes though.

Montz

Juniors
I'm a little scared with the team... but hopefully we are able to hit them hard, and they will run out of puff, and the backs will get a little roll on. I'm interested to see how Gafa goes, he didn't really impress me in the Sevens..

Phillip has a small fracture in one of his hands, and that is why he wasn't picked. He is rested, but will play lots of 1st grade this year.

They have decided that Campo is not quite ready to be thrown into first grade, so Matty has pencilled him in to start in Reggies this year, but says he is very close to the 1st grade side.

Drew, no real news on him. You never know, poor old Gaffa might have to make way for Skippy.

There is nothing wrong with the side named. In fact, it is very similar to the side that played last year, and was very successful last year. The forwards are fired up, and will give the backs some room. I see a high scoring match that will be extremely tense....gotta love it, it's game on again! 8)

greeneyed

First Grade
The benefit of Gafa is he CAN play 5/8th very well, as people who watched Premier League last year can attest.

So Gaffa is not just a replacement for the three quarter line, he is a replacement for the halves.