What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Raiders thrash Jim Beam sides 82-6

The Raiders beat the Wentworthville/Windsor combined Jim Beam Cup side by 82-6 tonight at Seiffert Oval in Canberra.

The Raiders were a class above their opposition, and it showed from the getgo as they raced to a 38-0 half time lead.

Jason Smith was an architect of the Raiders first half destruction, carving up the opposition with deft flick passes and long cut-out passes. Alan Tongue and William Zillman ran off Smith all day, causing all sorts of havoc.

Alan Tongue and Ben Jones were reportedly the pick of the forwards, making numerous breaks and setting up several tries.

Besides Jason Smith, Zillman was on fire and scored five tries and set up a few others. He apparently looked very dangerous all night.

Tryscorers for the Raiders:

Zillman (5), Withers (3), Carney, Woolford, Mogg, Jones, Chalk, Milne, Learoyd-Lars.

Thanks to greeneyed for the score.

legend

Coach
Not quite. I'd say QRL is equivalent to premier league and Jim Beam is a step down from premier league although if you ever go through the team lineups in the Jim Beam Cup, you will recognise a lot of names of players who have played first grade, premier league and some are even coaches.

jed

First Grade
It's inexcusable that we faltered to allow Windsor to score a try.

If we continue to leak tries like that all season, we'll be specials for the wooden spoon.

Considering Schifcofske did not convert a single try, I'm of the opinion that he can't handle the pressures of Fullback, Goalkicker and Captain.

Of course, considering he didn't even play, I'll let him off just this once. :p

cashyyy

Juniors
sorry didnt see that Of course, considering he didn't even play, I'll let him off just this once.

Sully

Juniors
At least we scored a mozta!

Zillman... He has done some special things this year so far...

Brimmer

Juniors
Just curious why we played a team like that last in the trials?

I for one would have liked to play a team like that in the 1st trial. Perhaps it's to boost the players confidence before the main game?

I'm glad that Zillman had a good game. To be honest, I saw him play the week before and he went missing for most of the game.

How did the fringe forwards go? By the sounds of it Ben Jones had a good game... but waddabout Raston? Martin?

Obviously Miller will be there this season but do you guys think we are going to see him in a run on jersey game 1?

canberra_raiders2k2

First Grade
nah if we win 86-6 before our first the team would feel good and happy and actually go into the week 1 game with alot of momentum rather then being all bruised and sore.

TiTTieS_[CNTDN]

Juniors
I would like to know what percentage of sets they scored off. I'm guessing that it is at least 50 but I think it would be a fair bit higher than that, too.

woodgers

Bench
The Raiders went pretty good regardless of the opposition. Terry Martin was brilliant early and made heaps of metres up the ruck, i'd never seen him play that role before.

Woolford was impressive. He had little game time but what he played was quality.

Tonguey was awesome, the best player on the park for mine. A week ago I said have him on the bench coming on after 20. No way, have him there for 80 minutes, he is incredible. His workrate is super to say the least, his support play is as good as I have seen from a forward for a long time.

Zillman was wonderful from fullback. When a break was made they had Tonguey on one side, Zilly on the other every time. He is something else. I can't believe how much he stood out, I actually went there saying to the other guys that I was interested in his game more than anything else. He didn't let anyone down. If he isn't in the starting 17 , we are kidding.

Carney and Ben Jones were good, as was Withers while he was on.

In reggies I thought the pick was Dobson at half, Faumiuna, Campese and Chalky when he was out there in the first 20.

I was really happy with both sides. Rugby League isn't 13 vs 13 anymore, it is about the squad and depth. From what I saw, we'll do well.

jed

First Grade
Raider Ultra said:
Yep summarised the match pretty well. Failed to mention the streaker at the end though!
You streaked yet again Ultra? I thought you were finished doing that?

:p

Chachi

Bench
Interesting hitout. Tongue absolutely destroyed them with Jones and LL having good games as well. It wouldn't surprise me to see those two start in Rd 1 with Lomu off the bench. Not sure what we do with Tonguey - as Woodgers said, he derserves to be starting but I can't see it happen with Croker back - he'll still be awesome off the bench and the NRL is a whole new kettle of fish compared to what he had against him in this game. All Zillman had to do to get his 5 tries was run off Smith all day and back up - but his involvement was great.

Basically the whole game was spent with our forwards busting them up the middle before getting the ball out wide, so for mine the game certainly didn't answer how our three quarters were really perfoming or how we'll line up there for Rd 1. Mogg and Purtell certainly didn't stand out though.

I'm just glad there were no serious injuries to come out of the game.

I wasn't able to watch more than 10 mins of the PL game but it was interesting to see Campo line up in the 2nd row. From all accounts he had a reasonable game there too.

aussies1st

Staff member
Its good to see that our 2nd row depth has picked up. I can't wait for the season too start.

woodgers

Bench
jed said:
You streaked yet again Ultra? I thought you were finished doing that?

:p

The streaker was funny but for entertainment value Queanbeyan is hilarious. At the first set of traffic lights we came to there was a drunk guy strolling through the intersection holding up traffic. When the drivers became enraged at him he stuck his finger up and told them to f**k off. He then got angry at this lady 3 behind because he thought she beeped the car horn and was yelling at her :lol:

2 sets of lights down there were 3 teenagers crossing the road in front of us. They screamed 'aaaaaaahhhhhhh' at the top of their lungs towards our car then went into The Royal Hotel, no doubt to get stonkered. Who would yell at a 4WD full of guys aged 25 years, especially with Bay72 sitting in the front? It defy's logic :lol:

That town is a nightmare and is bogan central. We hadn't been there 3 minutes and we had seen at least 2 incidents of stupidity! Funny though!

Copa

Bench
The match was ok. Great to see some live RL after waiting for the season to start up again.

Latest posts