What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Raiders V Panthers Pre and Post Game Discussion

greeneyed

First Grade
Hey, I just got back from the Raiders Leagues Club Gungahlin. I needed to get the huskies out and the sled, and I took along a week's supplies so I could get to and fro.... there really are people who live that far north.... :lol:

Actually, it is a really nice club... good bistro and great TV screens everywhere.... and the people of Gungahlin seem very nice too.

greeneyed

First Grade
What about the comments today from Gould on the Footy Show. He says something like he has never seen such a dispirited display from a Raiders team as last night, which is a "real worry" as they are a likely top 8 finalist.

What a disgrace this person is. His club's actions are one of the main reasons for it!

thickos

First Grade
I agree with Gould though. Dispirited and disgraceful is how i would have summed it up too.

:evil:

Unfortunately, the Sun Herald said Elliott was 'not unhappy' with the effort?????

#-o

I don't think anyone should look at last night as a sign of things to come. It was just a case of anything that could go wrong did, weather the Raiders could help it or not. Woolfords injury kicked it off and sent players into all sorts of positions and took a detour off the game plan, Hindmarsh getting injured just sharpened the blow. So I think the Raiders were a victem of circumstance last night and I wouldn't take too much out of it.

hrundi99

First Grade
thickos said:
I agree with Gould though. Dispirited and disgraceful is how i would have summed it up too.

:evil:

Unfortunately, the Sun Herald said Elliott was 'not unhappy' with the effort?????

#-o

Gould also did an article about how the contract deadline drama is just a media beat up.

I don't suppose he might think that the Raiders performance and the signings may have been related?

thickos

First Grade
Yeah good point hrundi, Gould does use the media and his position of power quite nicely to keep shoring up the walls of his empire. But I guess I live in a fantasy land, assuming that professional footballers can put all those contractual distractions aside and play footy. I was wrong last night! :(

greeneyed

First Grade
Simon Woolford was interviewed on WIN TV News tonight. He is having tests on his shoulder (had some today and more tomorrow). He thought it was a very bad injury on Saturday night, but he says it is feeling better today, and doesn't feel as bad as previous more serious shoulder injuries.

There was an interview with Mark McLinden and he said that after Woolford went off, it cut the side's attacking options in half.... and he had to move to dummy half which affected what he could do.... It was pointed out on the news that Macca not only had the flu but suffered a serious head clash during the game.

azza

Juniors
If I remember correctly, we won against the Panthers 40-28 last year after being down 28-12, and guess what? Woolford did not play the 2nd half, I am quite sure. Regardless of the excuses, if a team is mentally strong (as we were last year) it will be able to step up and cope with adversity to a large extent. Something we are not doing this year.

greeneyed

First Grade
This goes to the preparation by the coach and the mental toughness instilled in the team by the coaching staff......

Steven Gerrard

First Grade
azza said:
If I remember correctly, we won against the Panthers 40-28 last year after being down 28-12, and guess what? Woolford did not play the 2nd half, I am quite sure. Regardless of the excuses, if a team is mentally strong (as we were last year) it will be able to step up and cope with adversity to a large extent. Something we are not doing this year.

Brad Drew??

azza

Juniors
Raiders 2004 said:
azza said:

Brad Drew??

Oh goodie, I haven't played this game since Kindergarten. I think "is sh*t" would be the next two words?

azza

Juniors
True true, and from memory I think he had one of his rare good games for us. But still, if you remember we were down 28-12 when Woolford went off. We didn't throw in the towel and come up with pathetic defensive lapses. We kept our cool and fought back. That's the complete opposite to what happened on Saturday.

azza... call me the eternal optimist, but I reckon that had the Mogg call gone our way, the scoreline might have been a bit different. You could tell that they were fired up to begin the second half, and I think after it was given a no try, it took the wind out of their sails. No excuses though, but still, I think that was a contributing factor.

thickos

First Grade
Drew ripped them up at the Panthers game last season. We could have done with his creativity the other night, not many options were on show.

mike83au

Juniors
Not sure if this has been mentioned, but the article on the Raiders website says if Woolford is not ready to play this weekend, Drew is fit to take his place and would do so:

A little piece from the Raiders website:
Brad Drew is available for selection this week after recovering from a calf injury and could be called into the side if Woolford is declared unfit to play.

Michael Hodgson is also expected to return this weekend, after suffering a setback with his existing rib injury last week.

Latest posts