What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RAIDERS V STORM

greeneyed

First Grade
Source: The Storm

Storm welcomes back Hill for clash with Raiders

Melbourne Storm five-eighth Scott Hill looks to have overcome a back injury that saw him miss last week’s 20-point loss to the St George Illawarra Dragons.

Hill missed the Dragons clash after straining his lower back at training last week, but the former Test lock is set to make a return for the Storm after today being named for Sunday’s clash with the Raiders at Canberra Stadium.

The return of Hill is a timely boost for the Storm as it looks to arrest a form slide that has seen it win one of its past five matches.

After watching his teammates suffer their worst defeat of the season against the Dragons last week, Hill can’t wait for Sunday’s crucial match in Canberra.

“It’s not good when you don’t have any input and the team goes down as was the case last week,” Hill said.

“Had we played at home last week my back might have sorted itself out but obviously with the short week it wasn’t enough time to get myself right for the Dragons.

“Over the weekend I made sure I took it easy and had plenty of physio so it’s feeling pretty good now. I’ll just ease myself back into this week and come the weekend I should be fine.”

Despite missing his second match of the season through a back-related injury last week – Hill was ruled out of the Storm’s Round 13 win over the Tigers in similar fashion earlier this year – the 27-year-old is confident the injury won’t be ongoing.

“I don’t think it’s something that will be reoccurring, the last time I injured my back was different to this time,” Hill said.

“I don’t think I’ll have any problems getting over it, I didn’t last time and I don’t expect this to be different.” Hill’s return to pivot sees Matt Geyer move back to the wing while Dustin Cooper has been named as 18th man.

Utility Andrew McFadden will face his former club for the first time in Storm colours this week after the 26-year-old was named for his second consecutive first-grade match of the season.

McFadden, who has endured a torrid run of groin and ankle injuries since crossing to the Storm at the end of 2002, made his season debut off the bench for the Storm against the Dragons last week.

Forward Kirk Reynoldson was not named today and will miss Sunday’s match after suffering a tear to his right calf muscle last Thursday.

The Storm has a perfect record against the Raiders over the past two seasons - four wins from as many games - including a narrow 22-18 at Olympic Park earlier this year.

MELBOURNE STORM TEAM TO PLAY THE CANBERRA RAIDERS, SUNDAY AUGUST 15, AT CANBERRA STADIUM (2.30PM):

1. Billy Slater
2. Matt Geyer
3. Steven Bell
4. Ben MacDougall
5. Matt King
6. Scott Hill
7. Matt Orford
8. Robbie Kearns
9. Cameron Smith
10. Rodney Howe
11. David Kidwell
12. Stephen Kearney (c)
13. Dallas Johnson

Subs:
14. Glen Turner
15. Ryan Hoffman
16. Robert Tanielu
17. Andrew McFadden
18. Dustin Cooper
(One to be omitted)

Yes, I expect it to be a flogging in favour of the Storm.

Anonymous

Juniors
McFadden played last week, only his second ever apperance for the Storm in 2 years.

I seriously reckon we should re-sign him for next year.

greeneyed

First Grade
On WIN TV Canberra News tonight:

They repeated the story about Nathan Smith, covered in a seperate thread.

The Raiders have delayed making a firm announcement on a starting line up for the game against the Storm.

Without Davico, the forwards are clearly weakened up front. However, Troy Thompson is a definite starter in the place of Davico. Coach Elliott will look at the Storm line up and then decide the final line up for the weekend's game, taking into account injuries in the Raiders side.

Michael Robertson is available. He said he is "pretty confident" he will be playing this week.

The club knows it needs to win all its remaining games, with the record against the Storm in the last couple of years a concern.

edabomb

First Grade
greeneyed said:
But we let Cappy go........

I am struggling to remember why again... but we did.....

He's not a premiership winning style half, same as McLinden. But then again, with him we might at least be in the 8.

watched mcfadden with intrest last week and when he was on he did nothing. he lacked match fitness and confidence. saying that with a good off-season he would be a great utility next year, if not stand in halfback...

BAY72

Juniors
Melbourne Storm five-eighth Scott Hill looks to have overcome a back injury that saw him miss last week’s 20-point loss to the St George Illawarra Dragons.
Once again we are up against a team that have just been smashed, and under strength last week. Only to have to face them this week with all their players back.

Arguably we have had the worst luck this season, by playing teams at the worst possible times.

And against the storm, I would have penciled this in for a Loose even before last week.

thickos

First Grade
Have a look at their side. They have points galore in them. Their outside backs will have a field day, and Orford will have a grand old time around the ruck and slicing through lazy defence.

Goodnight 2004.

Latest posts