What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Raiders vs Broncos - *SPOILER*

Bay56

First Grade
BradtheRipper said:
thank f..k phil will be back for howler. why didn't purtell brace for collision lean infield as defender contacted. second half calls? why was 'what the fook did he say' to arrogant to go to video on webke's sensational try of sportsmanship. but to the video ref to call in 10secs a doubtful knock-on. it wasn't a blatant strip so he lost the benifit for not securing the ball. f**kin rigged nrl. when was the rule for the video ref to scrutinize every f**kin thing during a breakdown in general play. why was this the first time?.
we controlled the ball 1st half not second half to give us a chance. defense was the same as always just waited for the broncs to control. execute howl and purtell. howl at marker stop to play with his balls that let the broncos sore there third. tough gamer. smith is finished. elliot is f**king carney mentally putting him in purgatory every week. how did we lead 18-0 with a f**kin sh*te kicking game. our tries were plain anyway f**king boring anyteam could have scored. one out run and passing to score in corner.
horse said during the week purtell and howl getting better week by week. but clearly his gone insane and given his injuries a name to heal by.

stay green abysmal draw this month
bradtheripper

:lol: :lol: ... what did he say ..

mate I agree with your point re Carney .... either Elliott has faith in the youngster and gives him a decent stint in FG or he leaves him in PL ... atm he is really giving this youngster hell

Leethal

Juniors
Bay56 said:
hrundi when you take into consideration that we were leading by 18 zip at one stage imo it is a bad result ... it was the 14th biggest come back in NRL history ...

it was on the back of some stupid options by some experienced players and some inept defence ... we should never have given the Broncs a chance to have a sniff

it seems nowadays that we just brush these results aside and just call them "a decent effort"

Spot on Bay.

That's what we're reduced to. We lost (another) game where we had a healthy lead and capitulated. But at least it was a "decent effort".

Problem is, all the "decent efforts" in the world won't help us avoid the spoon if we keep losing.

Oh well, at least this one didn't turn from a probable victory to a 30 point thrashing.

sydraider

First Grade
How the f**k can a video ref pipe up in general play and change the decision but cant do that when a bullsh*t try was scored? I hope webcke gets credited with a try assist in the stats.

Purtell has no instincts, he did not even stick his arm out for the line, chalk would have scored that try.

Howell, no comment.

We did some good things tonight, we lost the game.

If we had persisted properly with a youth policy, then maybe our chief playmaker would not have to go off to have a dhurry.

Please elliot f**k OFF!

canberra_raiders2k2

First Grade
Purtell & Howell were the worst for us, Mogg was pretty good and Frawley did get smacked a couple of times but he was good for the most part, Schif played good i still cant believe he scored that try..lol.

we need Chalk as our winger..why are we using Purtell when Chalk is clearly the better option.

the way we played in the first half really should tell us what we are capable of of, we have to fix these meltdowns and play the entire 80mins..

aussies1st

Staff member
For crying out loud we better bring in Chalk and Ale/some other center next week. Chalk has to come in, he has that brillance that Purtell doesn't and thats what we need when we don't have Graham.

Raider_69

Post Whore
that webcke-stagg try was a complete farce
in saying that we didnt deserve to win, leading by 18 points at half time and then going on to let in 4 trys in 15 odd minutes at the start the second half, we are a f**kling rabble!

Bay56

First Grade
Raider_69 said:
that webcke-stagg try was a complete farce
in saying that we didnt deserve to win, leading by 18 points at half time and then going on to let in 4 trys in 15 odd minutes at the start the second half, we are a f**kling rabble!

as I said before Nick it was a fair try ... it should in no way take the pressure of Elliott for our inept 2nd half

when the 2nd half started I turned to my daughter and said "watch us drop the ball in the first set and give the Broncs a sniff" ... and what happended ????

we did the same against the Broncs in a pre-season game and we did the same against the rorters ..

legend

Coach
I did the live update for this game and this was my half time comment:

40 min: NEWS The Canberra Raiders hold an 18 point lead at half time and have kept the Broncos scoreless thoughout the opening forty minutes. As we all know, 18 points is not a match winning lead these days and the Raiders will have to work very hard if they are to win this game as their second half "efforts" in 2006 have been their major stumbling block. Having said that, the Broncos have a lot of work to do to get the points and it will take a big second half effort to get home but they are more than capable of piling on the quick points to dismantle even the best defences in the NRL.:(

Raider_69

Post Whore
bay you are kidding yourself, that stagg try was a complete farce, he lost control, and then webcke come through to force it down, no try in anyones books

thats not absolving anyone of responsibility for our piss poor 2nd half but its true regardless

edabomb

First Grade
Bay56 said:
as I said before Nick it was a fair try ... it should in no way take the pressure of Elliott for our inept 2nd half

when the 2nd half started I turned to my daughter and said "watch us drop the ball in the first set and give the Broncs a sniff" ... and what happended ????

we did the same against the Broncs in a pre-season game and we did the same against the rorters ..

How is this Elliott's fault? I'll accept he's to blame for the bizzare continued selection of Howell and Purtell. But last night he took us to Brisbane with a gameplan good enough to beat the Broncos. Just that our players never seem good enough to keep their mind on the jobs for 80 minutes (which is partly his fault also). Are you ever going to blame any of our crapiness on the players Bay?

Bay56

First Grade
Raider_69 said:
bay you are kidding yourself, that stagg try was a complete farce, he lost control, and then webcke come through to force it down, no try in anyones books

thats not absolving anyone of responsibility for our piss poor 2nd half but its true regardless

mate I've seen it on slow-mo enough times ... it never leaves his hands until just after it hits the ground when Webcke forces it out of his loss grasp ... if he had held onto it after that he would have had his arm wrenched out of its socket

Bay56

First Grade
Marc Herbert [CNTDN] said:
How is this Elliott's fault? I'll accept he's to blame for the bizzare continued selection of Howell and Purtell. But last night he took us to Brisbane with a gameplan good enough to beat the Broncos. Just that our players never seem good enough to keep their mind on the jobs for 80 minutes (which is partly his fault also). Are you ever going to blame any of our crapiness on the players Bay?

of course it is partly the players fault ed ...

mate we tried to slip a pass twice when coming off our line in the first 10 mins (when we are 18 points up) ... if the players havent had it drummed into them to play safe footy for the first 15 mins of that 2nd half I blame the coach ... that is what cost us the game ..

this is not the first time it has happened ed ... we continually get runned down

legend

Coach
The players are equally responsible but it concerns me we accept close losses as the norm these days. Even the fans don't possess a winning mentality any more, rather taking comfort in the knowledge the side was competitive.

I saw some of the basic mistakes on the footy show and we piss our pants when we have the lead.

The only side worse than us is the Warriors who are diabolical at times, today included.

edabomb

First Grade
Pretty much agree with both of yous. We have a losing culture now, where most fans would be happy to lose by 2 to Brisbane if they hadn't known we were up 18-0. I have my doubts whether Henry can turn it around either, the problems have been there since 2001 IMO.

Bay56

First Grade
I dont even punch the sofa any more, or shout out arm-chair coaching, or bag the ref off ... I expect the team to lose and if they win I celebrate it with joy because I'm going to have to wait another three games for another.

I see a young up-n-coming youngster in Carney sitting on the bench and another in Zilly playing in PL while some old codger and a hooker take their place ... that is what really makes my BP rise ... I'd rather lose and give the young guys some experience than lose with an old smoker who has gone one too many years.

I would bet that our PL side would beat our FG side.

Leethal

Juniors
Marc Herbert [CNTDN] said:
the problems have been there since 2001 IMO.

Which coincides with the reign of Elliott.

Who knows? Things may get worse under Henry, but not much, because we don't have too far to fall, whereas they could get also much better.
Henry is credited with a lot of the good things happening in NQ.

edabomb

First Grade
Leethal said:
Which coincides with the reign of Elliott.

Who knows? Things may get worse under Henry, but not much, because we don't have too far to fall, whereas they could get also much better.
Henry is credited with a lot of the good things happening in NQ.

Also with Furner and Daley leaving. I still have no idea why we didn't throw the kitchen sink and captaincy at Furner to keep him here instead of ESL. I can't remember how tight we were under the cap, but with Daley and Mullins also leaving there must of been cap space. Although they still would of been on super league contracts, so who knows.

legend

Coach
Bay, I was doing the live update and my pulse didn't go up one bit after we lost because I totally expected it.

My wife was on the lounge and I said at half time we were leading by 18 points and I was hopeful we would win but would not be surprised if we were beaten as well and once the game was over, I did th ematch report and went to bed, not feeling angry, frustrated or any other type of emotion. It was what I expected and they lived up to expectations so for me, the loss was not hard to take at all.

TBH, I don't expect us to win games at all anymore.

Latest posts