What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Raiders Vs Cowboys

What henry isnt afraid to do is put players like Milne , Dobbo etc back in PL for a week or 2 to work on their game , this is not a bad idea , Milne can go back and return an improved player including confidence , Howell may not be the solution but we've all agreed during the year that we dont have great depth in the backline , we were all calling for Best's head earlier , and he's proved reliable in the centres since Purtells 'injury' , Howell wont win us the game nor do i think he'll lose us the game his defence couldnt be any worse than that of the outside backs so far. Tilse reminds me of a cartwirght type of player , doesnt hit the line at speed and doesnt seem to bend it back either but he does offload and his defence is good , as with any of the forwards if they're down on form then they will be dropped we have depth a plenty, there must be a chance Weyman is fit this weekend so if he comes in , who is it for or will it be in PL. raiders are a huge chance this weekend just hope they play like its in Canberra town.

jed

First Grade
Tilse is only ever in my team because of a lack of viable alternatives.

My only "certainties" in the team would be:

1 Zillman
2 Goodwin
4 Graham
6 Carney
7 Dobson
9 Withers
10 Logan
13 Tongue (c)

Everyone else is a week-to-week proposition

Chachi

Bench
dubby said:
Chachi, Howell only ever played centre under Elliot with the occasional wing game. "All over the place" is a loose expression mate.
dubby, "all over the place" is code for "not in a position where I think he is best suited". Sheesh! ;-) Fair point - it was a bit of an exaggeration.

My 2 cents on Tilse is that his height makes it easy for him to get dominated in tackles. He's improving with this as the season goes on, but I can't count the amount of times I've seen him pushed back because he's got 3 tacklers able to put a good shot on him when he hits the line upright. However if he can continue to get those offloads happening this will become a great benefit to us. The other criticism is that he seems to be easily stepped around when even remotely isolated - again a curse of most tall players.

He is improving though and is very young for a starting front rower so I still expect great things from him in the near future.

dubby

Bench
Raidersrawesome said:
What henry isnt afraid to do is put players like Milne , Dobbo etc back in PL for a week or 2 to work on their game , this is not a bad idea , Milne can go back and return an improved player including confidence , Howell may not be the solution but we've all agreed during the year that we dont have great depth in the backline , we were all calling for Best's head earlier , and he's proved reliable in the centres since Purtells 'injury' , Howell wont win us the game nor do i think he'll lose us the game his defence couldnt be any worse than that of the outside backs so far. Tilse reminds me of a cartwirght type of player , doesnt hit the line at speed and doesnt seem to bend it back either but he does offload and his defence is good , as with any of the forwards if they're down on form then they will be dropped we have depth a plenty, there must be a chance Weyman is fit this weekend so if he comes in , who is it for or will it be in PL. raiders are a huge chance this weekend just hope they play like its in Canberra town.

I think that is a very valid comparison.

The thing with Tilse, is that I really hate to see the big unit get dominated. It sort of hurts my pride a bit TBH. I would just like to see him add a bit of mongrel to his game because that would really bring a lot to the team. He can do it, its just a matter of harnessing it each week. He is not alone, TC and Dobbo are guilty of putting their tail between their legs at times too. Its just maturity and Tilse is still raw for a prop. It took Lazzo years to get to his prime, and Webcke.

I like Tilse. His work rate and offloads are usually very good, but it would be SO good to see him fire up like Mason.

Brimmer

Juniors
Guys... let's remember Dane tilse is 22.

The guy is going to mature into an animal with his frame and the right physical regime. Not that many 22 year old props kickin' round? Props will mature a bit later in the game than say an outide back. Give the bloke some time. Couple more seasons and he should (and I did say should) be rep standard.

Bay56

First Grade
dubby said:
I think that is a very valid comparison.

The thing with Tilse, is that I really hate to see the big unit get dominated. It sort of hurts my pride a bit TBH. I would just like to see him add a bit of mongrel to his game because that would really bring a lot to the team. He can do it, its just a matter of harnessing it each week. He is not alone, TC and Dobbo are guilty of putting their tail between their legs at times too. Its just maturity and Tilse is still raw for a prop. It took Lazzo years to get to his prime, and Webcke.

I like Tilse. His work rate and offloads are usually very good, but it would be SO good to see him fire up like Mason.

Spot on dubster ... imo he has the ability but is too soft to give it a go ... had one brilliant game against the Knights early in the season where he obviously had something to prove.

I'd also like to see him fire up Masonlike

Mal Meninga

Bench
dubby said:
:lol: :lol:

Howell and Tilse in the halves??? :crazy:

Now I know you are just geeing us up.

Most stupid post ever. You are worse than BBSF with Covell...and thats saying something.

Howells footwork involves rushing in off his wing and leaving huge holes out wide and his centre stranded. Howell is worse than Bulgarelli/Wolfgramm/Lightning combined and moulded with an electrified nuffy machine
:lol: :lol:

Sarcasm flew right over your head

Since you didn't get it the first time, I think Howell is rubbish and wouldn't look out of place in the worst ever Raiders side. Look at my signature... One nuffy talking up one of his own nuffies.

Tilse is soft and when you look at the amount of smaller players in the side like Tongue, Plum and Turner who don't give a great deal of momentum going forward you need a prop who can take chunks of yardage and carry defenders. Weyman would be perfect if he could actually stay on the field without getting injured or starting a fight.

Sydney_Raider

Juniors
Not fully fit, but Howell is ready to make his mark
Peter Fitzgerald

Raiders utility David Howell has revealed a burning desire to return to Canberra's top side despite having only 80 per cent recovered from a groin injury.
Howell will make his long-awaited comeback to the NRL against the North Queensland Cowboys on Saturday night as the Raiders fight to remain in the hunt for a finals berth.

The 23-year-old played in the centres for Canberra's Premier League side last weekend, his first match since the Raiders hosted Manly on May 6.

He will start on the wing in Townsville this weekend.

Howell admitted his injury - which medical staff initially thought was an abdominal strain, then osteitis pubis and then the effect of poor hip rotation - was still hampering him but had improved to a manageable level.

"If I was a normal person doing day-to-day stuff, I wouldn't have even noticed it apparently," he said.

"But because I'm involved in a sport and doing physical activity on it constantly with training and playing, it was different.

"It's still sore. It was sore straight after the game on Friday night, and again on Saturday, but has settled down again now.

"I was just happy to get back on the paddock last week and can't wait to return to first grade with the boys this week in what is a must-win game for us to stay in the finals race."

Howell has taken anti-inflammatory tablets after each training session since returning to full training.

Coach Neil Henry gave the first grade and Premier League squads a three-day break following Friday night's matches at Canberra Stadium.

Howell believed the extended rest was vital to his chances of returning to the NRL this week.

"It was a big help for me," he said.

"I'd even say that if I didn't get that break, the groin would be a lot sorer and might have prevented me from being a chance."

Henry was impressed with Howell's return performance in Premier League, in which he scored a try and won the players' player award.

The coach rated Howell an integral part of the Raiders backline and hoped the injury would not prevent him playing for the rest of the season.

"He's played a fair bit of first grade and brings some good height out on the wing," Henry said.

"There's no doubt he's still playing under a little duress but he's had ongoing treatment and played well last week."

Raiders rehabilitation officer Matt Ford has spent considerable time with Howell over the past 10 weeks.

Ford has had Howell on a low-volume training schedule since the injury first struck, gradually increasing that as it continued to heal.

He was satisfied with Howell's progress and said despite the former St George Illawarra player not being fully fit, had little doubt he was at a stage where he could physically perform in the NRL.

"He hasn't gone backwards with his training load the past few weeks," Ford said.

"We just hope his symptoms don't increase."

The Raiders depart for Townsville tomorrow.

Bookmakers have installed them $2.35 outsiders to defeat the Cowboys, which are at $1.55.

This is a real concern. Can't understand the logic behind using Howell if he is not 100%. Surely Cross would of been the better option if Milne had to go. I don't know what will happen if Howell gets injured early in the game given Chalk has also been axed.

Chachi

Bench
Fair enough to go for the high ball strategy up against Bowen, but Bowen could cut him to shreds in attack if Howell is less than 100% (considering he could do that even if Howell WAS 100%).

Certainly cause for concern.

Still, not bad betting odds if you're that way inclined.

dubby

Bench
Sorry Mal, I missed it completely. It went straight over the dead ball line....:oops:

That article on Howell has me VERY concerned.

Henry must be very disappointed to drop a fit Milne (albeit out of form Milne) for a wounded Wolf. I am even mildly shocked he hasnt selected Cross/Kelly (relieved tho; these guys suck on the wing)

That article will capture the interest of Graham Murray/JT/Bowen who will put little kicks to Howell all night working that sort hip over.

Neil, this selection is one of your worst.

I hope you prove me wrong tho.

Walt Flanigan

Referee
Chachi said:
Fair enough to go for the high ball strategy up against Bowen, but Bowen could cut him to shreds in attack

Yeah but TBH Bowen will cut anyone to shreds the little freak.

Howell played a game last week and had no ill effect , and was best on park , so I dont see it as a risk in playing him , I think its the experience compared to Milnes limited FG's , I ,like the rest of you hope it turns out to be a masterstroke by Henry.

ak47

Juniors
whilst i hate howell and admit he doesnt deserve FG

Milne doesnt either.....i am willing to let Milne go back to reggies for a little while, and see if Howell has improved

If Howell hasnt improved i want him shown the exit door.

Milne of late has given me nightmares of Fulavai and Boogs under a high ball - like a 1 armed, crossed eyed lithuanian

Chachi

Bench
Walt Flanigan said:
Yeah but TBH Bowen will cut anyone to shreds the little freak.
You speak the truth Walt, but there is a subtle distinction between bending over and asking for it rather than being at the wrong place at the wrong time. I'd prefer to match Goodwin up against Bowen and let Howell go against Minto.

I'm still fine with Milne being rested though.

Whatever happens we're due for a fair go from the refs so that's all I'm asking for up there. Let the boys sort it out.

julian87

Juniors
That article had me worried. But it also seems as though he is pretty much at 100% but has a bit of a hard time in recovery which I am happy with. Guys, the doctors, physios etc and Henry know what they are doing and I think he complements the rest of our backline well when he is on the wing.

woodgers

Bench
yes, yes should be a good contest NOW, can anybody, anybody at all, confirm that the house which is of Green colour is dead or not. I've been worried sick........

:lol: I couldn't resist Mick!

nickraider

Juniors
Reckon Howell will go okay. Someone had to come in for Milne and it's good to see him given another chance imo.

Chachi

Bench
Weyman waits as Raiders call on Kelly
Peter Fitzgerald

Raiders coach Neil Henry is leaning toward elevating 19th man Brett Kelly into Canberra's squad to travel to Townsville for tomorrow night's crucial NRL match against the North Queensland Cowboys.
Henry refrained from finalising his team yesterday but hinted Kelly's versatility would see him favoured over 18th man, prop Trevor Thurling.

Kelly, who underwent a shoulder reconstruction in the off-season, has played five NRL matches in his first season at the Raiders.

He is largely a winger but Henry considers him a back-up option in the centres as well.

Kelly is the only back-line player on Henry's six-man extended bench, of which five will travel to Queensland.

In a further selection shock, Henry has overlooked Michael Weyman for first grade despite the forward having recovered from concussion.

Weyman suffered the concussion during Canberra's loss to the Melbourne Storm two weeks ago.

He missed last weekend's match against the Penrith Panthers as a result and was expecting to remain on the sidelines this weekend as well.

Raiders medical staff declared him fit yesterday to play this weekend following a successful week at training, but Henry has relegated the 22-year-old to Premier League.

Canberra's Premier League side plays Manly at Brookvale Oval tomorrow afternoon.

Weyman confirmed yesterday he had made a full recovery from the setback.

"I'm fine, no worries at all," he said. "I had headaches for a fair bit of last weekend but they've all gone now and I'm 100 per cent.

"We'll wait and see how it goes but I think I'm ready to play."

Weyman was cleared after scans earlier this week and he then participated in an opposed training session and has had no repercussions of headaches since.

Henry's decision to play Weyman in Premier League comes at a vital stage of the season for the top side, which is running out of chances to qualify for the NRL finals.

A loss to the Cowboys tomorrow night would significantly hamper Canberra's play-off prospects.

Weyman hoped the first-grade side was still in the running for the finals when he returned to the NRL next week against the Bulldogs.

"I think we treat every game as a must-win one at the moment and I want to be a part of that again as soon as possible," Weyman said.

"I was a bit dusty for a few days after the incident and had some memory loss of the night but I'm pretty confident I'm ready to go."

http://canberra.yourguide.com.au/de...ague&story_id=1031462&category=rugby%20league

Latest posts