What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Raiders Vs Cowboys

raidersforme

Juniors
The CFMEU Canberra Raiders will welcome back their State of Origin star Neville Costigan this weekend, for the Green Machine's important clash with the North Queensland Cowboys at Dairy Farmers Stadium on Saturday night.
Costigan has not played a game for the Raiders since round 15, after injuring his hand in the lead up to game three of the Origin series. He comes into the side for Nigel Plum who is nursing a minor shoulder injury, and takes his spot in the starting line-up.
In a big boost for the club Matt Bickerstaff makes his long awaited first grade debut for the Raiders on the bench, after a successful return from injury last weekend through the Premier League.
David Howell also returns to first grade this weekend after his return from injury, and takes David Milne’s spot on the wing, with Milne shifted back to Premier League. Howell has also had a troubled run with injury in 2007, but played strongly in the Raiders Premier League win on Friday night.
Joe Picker is the other forward returning to first grade this weekend with the tough second rower coming in for Marshall Chalk, with Chalk also moving back to the Premier League.
The Raiders have named both Trevor Thurling and Brett Kelly on an extended bench this weekend, with the team expected to take 18 players on the trip to Townsville.
Troy Thompson underwent surgery this morning on his broken wrist, and is expected to be unavailable for between 4-6 weeks.
NRL ROUND 21
CANBERRA RAIDERS v NORTH QUEENSLAND COWBOYS
DAIRY FARMERS STADIUM, SATURDAY AUGUST 4, 7.30pm
1. WILLIAM ZILLMAN
2. DAVID HOWELL
3. PHIL GRAHAM
4. COLIN BEST
5. BRONX GOODWIN
6. TODD CARNEY
7. MICHAEL DOBSON
8. DANE TILSE
9. LINCOLN WITHERS
10. SCOTT LOGAN
11. NEVILLE COSTIGAN
12. GLEN TURNER
13. ALAN TONGUE (c)
14. JOSH MILLER
15. TOM LEAROYD-LAHRS
16. MATT BICKERSTAFF
17. JOE PICKER
18. TREVOR THURLING
19. BRETT KELLY
spacer.gif

http://www.raiders.com.au/www/detail_desc.php?news_id=383

Henry must have big raps on Bickerstaff , one game in PL and he is in FG. I thought a couple of games back in PL before he earns his stripes for FG. No weyman either , injured ? or in PL. I agree with Howell on the wing outside graham they seem to work together quite well. Good to see Picker back on the bench again , lets see if he stays there or Henry makes a couple of late changes. Its good to see players will have to play well to keep their place in the team , should see a good game against the cows add in Monday hangover we should get away with a couple of valuable points.

Sydney_Raider

Juniors
Not surprised by line up, I knew Chalk and Milne would be under pressure to hold their spots. I suppose Howell was the logical replacement but I am not a huge fan although he has combined well with Graham in the past. Haven't seen the PL line up but will be interested to see if Weyman has been named. If he hasn't I wouldn't be surprised if he is a late inclusion.

I have 2 main concerns with this game, the first being complacency given the Cowboys performamce last night (although a replay of the first round clash should be enough motivation) and secondly we have 3 forwards in Costigan, TLL and Bickerstaff who will be underdone.

Timbo

Staff member
It's a nice looking side as far as I'm concerned.

Milne, for all his blinding pace, has been a real liability in defence, with his handling and under the high ball. Whilst Howell may lack Milne's natural flare and excitement, he's a solid footballer and that's what we've been lacking in the back.

Bickerstaff is also a huge bonus. Pre-season, I was torn as to who was our best signing - Bickerstaff or Costigan. Bickerstaff is a rock in defence and is a good solid runner of the ball. With him, Costigan and Learoyd-Lahrs all in the one side, we have a backrow to match any other side in the competition.

This is, for mine, our best 17 (only possible exception - Weyman for Picker, but Picker's no slouch anyway) and if we can keep this 17 on the paddock together for the duration, we're a chance of sneaking into the finals in my book.

Macko8

Juniors
I dont mind that side to be honest.

Howell has formed a good combination with phil in the past so should be interesting.
Ben jones still injured???
If TLL fires like he did friday night then he'll lay the platform for the likes of miller and bickerstaff. Also i thought logan was off his game a bit last week but hopefully he fires for this and the loss of nigel plum,weyman and thompson is a loss in itself but to replace them with the likes of costigan, TLL and bickerstaff is an indication of how much forward depth we have when everyone is fit.

green eyed mike

Juniors
Yeah, I think this is a pretty good looking team. It's a shame that Thommo is injured because apart from that and possibly Weyman off the bench this is about the best pack we can put on the park. TLL looked ok against the Panthers and the run should have him looking even better this week.

We really need this one. Our away record has absolutely sucked this year and if we can;t beat the Cows with Thurston injured and out of form and with them backing up then we don't deserve to be in the finals this year.

dubby

Bench
I am not surprised to see Chalk back in PL. I am a fan of Chalk but his form has been a bit disappointing IMO.

Miller is another who is lucky to be in the team. Josh has been below his best lately and I would prefer to see Thurling get a run ATM as he offers more with the ball and is an aggressive defender who would cover for Plum who has been very solid for us.

Bickerstaff/TLL/Nev are all short of game time. Will this come back to bite us? Bar Webb and Payne, our pack is heads down better than the Cows who are not a team with cohesion or confidence ATM.

I am aprehensive with Howell, but with Graham inside him he should be ok. I would prefer to see Milne; we need speed to match Bowen/s and Ash Graham.

I would leave Miller out for Thurling.

And I believe Jones is out due to concussion and a decision will be made on his future soon.

aussies1st

Staff member
I'm happy with that team, Howell has shown he can finish on the wing and played his best footy there. Chalk, Milne both deserved to be dropped so good to see Henry saw it that way.
Having Picker and Tom LL makes for one strong bench, would love Thurling to be in over Miller.

TiTTieS_[CNTDN]

Juniors
The fact that there is basically nobody in the casualty ward is fantastic news. If it remains as it is now, we might see the Raiders storm in to the 8 rather than simply sneak in as they usually did during the Elliot years.

Chachi

Bench
Yeah, I'm pretty happy with that team too - which sucks 'cause it usually means we're in for a loss!

Enough has been said about Milne, and Chalk has also been poor of late. Some of his tackle attempts against Penrith were terrible and I'm fine with them both having a quick "Dobbo" this week. If Howell was MOTM in reggies then I'm happy to try him on the wing as I think he'll go OK there beside Graham. I still wonder if he's on the chopping block for 2008 with Monas coming home though...

Bickerstaff is obviously a shock selection, but if Plum and Weyman aren't 100% then he's a damn good replacement for either. Thurling is unlucky although I admittedly haven't watched reggies the last few weeks. IMO Thommo is a big loss and Tilse needs to step up again. Logan is also due for a big game.

After seeing what Costigan did to Johns in round 3 I hope Thurston is dead set wetting himself if he goes in to the game at less than 100%.

We can certainly win this one, but we've also said that half a dozen times before.

Bay56

First Grade
Pretty disappointed to see Milne dropped for Howell ... Milne offers much more potential than Howell ever will in a month of footy seasons ... really Neil you have made a big mistake .. Ijust hope it doesnt cost a game which quite frankly we can not afford at this stage.

Dane Tilse as the starting prop ... FFS Henry what do you see in this guy !!!

woodgers

Bench
Bay56 said:
Pretty disappointed to see Milne dropped for Howell ... Milne offers much more potential than Howell ever will in a month of footy seasons ... really Neil you have made a big mistake .. Ijust hope it doesnt cost a game which quite frankly we can not afford at this stage.

I tend to agree Bay. I can't believe I read someone say he is solid at the back....i've never seen an outside back so individually accountable for so many 4 pointers! And what is with people saying he 'combines well with Graham'? I think they combined against NQ away last year for 1 try and ever since they've been a 'solid combination'. Crazy.

The rest of the side I like. I'd prefer Trevor for Picker in this instance, only because Thommo is out and i'm not fully confident in Tilse to take on the extra load. Thurling has been seriously unlucky, i'd say he has played well above Tilse, Miller, Weyman and Ben Jones easily this season but often gets the rough end of the stick.

Our forwards can really, really roll this mob after 20 minutes when Webb and Scott hit the bench, they are quite small up front and i'd like to see TLL, Thurling and Bickers all hit the field after 20 and really rip in.

This is winnable because they are missing a few and are low on confidence, plus have the short turnaround. We owe them one for that game at Bruce about a month ago too. This is here for the taking. If we turn up i'm confident actually. Will we turn up?

Mal Meninga

Bench
Great to see Henry choose Howell and Tilse. Two pillars of the Raiders dynasty that will one day form a great halves combination, I can see it now, 5/5 in the race to the finals on the back of Tilse hard running and Howell magic footwork and good defense.

Howell will push for All Gold's selection in the next 5 weeks. I doubt he'll play much wing, he'll probably swap with Todd Carney throughout the game.

Bay56

First Grade
Mal Meninga said:
Great to see Henry choose Howell and Tilse. Two pillars of the Raiders dynasty that will one day form a great halves combination, I can see it now, 5/5 in the race to the finals on the back of Tilse hard running and Howell magic footwork and good defense.

Howell will push for All Gold's selection in the next 5 weeks. I doubt he'll play much wing, he'll probably swap with Todd Carney throughout the game.

:lol: :lol:

my grandpa suffering from hepatitis has more punch than Tilse ...

YOU'RE SOFT AS TILSEY !!!

julian87

Juniors
Condidering Thompson and Weyman are out, not playg Tilse would be silly and I am a massive basher of his game. Those calling for Miller haven't been watching the same games as me. He is an absolute work horse and has improved his fitness immeasurably. He used to be an impact player but with Logan, Weyman, Costigan and TLL we don't need another one and he complements them perfectly. Especially now that Thompson is gone, Miller working his ass off is the cornerstone of our forward pack from minute 20 through to 60 odd imo.

Brimmer

Juniors
Big fan of that side?!?!!?!

Geez... when we have a fit roster I think we can match it with the best of them!

Anybody off to the game? I'll be headin' up from brisbane with 4 fellow supporters.

RedVGooner

Juniors
bickerstaff will be ur second highest tackler behind alan tongue ill tell u that.....he is a great defender n wont let yous down...you guys will beat cowboys for sure, all u need to do is great tilse to run at thurston lol

you know you have terrible depth in the backs when howell is in first grade...no doubt this time next week everyone will be calling for howell to be axed

Latest posts