What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Raiders Vs Eels

raidersforme

Juniors
Canberra raiders centre Brad Cross will make his NRL debut on Saturday afternoon, when the Raiders take on the Eels at Canberra Stadium at 5.30pm.
Originally from Dubbo in NSW, Cross (pictured below) played in the Raiders trial matches earlier in the season, and has been added to the side to replace the injured Adrian Purtell who is out for a minimum of 12 weeks due to Deep Vein Thrombosis.
Raiders forward Neville Costigan is out this weekend after he was re-selected for the Queensland State of Origin team, while Tom Learoyd-Lahrs is out for four weeks with a quad injury.
Ben Jones has been moved to the starting line-up to cover for Costigan, while Cross’s inclusion has seen Terry Campese shift back to five-eighth.

CANBERRA RAIDERS V PARRAMATTA EELS
CANBERRA STADIUM, SATURDAY JUNE 9, 5.30pm
1. WILLIAM ZILLMAN
2. DAVID MILNE
3. MARSHALL CHALK
4. BRAD CROSS
5. BRONX GOODWIN
6. TERRY CAMPESE
7. MICHAEL DOBSON
8. DANE TILSE
9. LINCOLN WITHERS
10. SCOTT LOGAN
11. BEN JONES
12. GLEN TURNER
13. ALAN TONGUE (c)
14. JOSH MILLER
15. TROY THOMPSON
16. RYAN HINCHCLIFFE
17. MICHAEL WEYMAN

http://www.raiders.com.au/www/detail_desc.php?news_id=267

Congrats Cross , looking forward watching him in FG. Big TLL is a loss starting to hit his straps , maybe thats where Plum will come in . The side looks a bit more settled.

Raiding Dazz

Juniors
dont like our chances against parra , lucky hayne and hindmarsh are out but they still got a very good backline.
maybe finch and smith might choke if we pressure them.

Chachi

Bench
We could get seriously thrashed this week if our 6 and 7 don't aim up. Congratulations to Cross though - a well deserved call up. We do have the capability to clean them up in the forwards (especially with Nathan whatsisname out), although I am shaking my head a bit at that backline of ours.

Hopefully youthfull enthusiasm (and the good guys) win the day.

Timbo

Staff member
I like the side, with one exception, Ben Jones. I think he offers very little in either attack or defence-where the hell is Thurling?

nickraider

Juniors
Both Jones and Turner offer little in attack imo. Can't believe they're both in the starting line up!! Agree with Timbo. Thurling should be there.

aussies1st

Staff member
Our team is looking much better. Campo was going good at 5/8 the week before, last week gets moved and plays crap.

parra pete

Referee
Don't panic. The Raiders have a great record at home, especially against the Eels.
This is a 'worry game' for the Eels. They will need to turn up ready.
Its 17 on 17...and the Raiders don't play badly at home..
I'll be glad when this one is over.

Eels were very impressive Monday night , we'll need to be up for this one , I think we can offer more sting in the defence than that of the Tigers, our pack is a little bit bigger , Im looking forward to PJ vs Logan round 2 , the little fella got the better last time. Also Hindmarsh isnt there to run 70m to score a try, gotta be a plus for us.

Hurriflatch

Referee
Eels team

1. Luke Burt
2. Joel Reddy
3. Ben Smith
4. Krisnan Inu
5. Eric Grothe
6. Brett Finch
7. Tim Smith
8. Nathan Cayless (C)
9. PJ Marsh
10. Aaron Cannings
11. Feleti Mateo
12. Chad Robinson
13. Daniel Wagon

14. Mark Riddell
15. Josh Cordoba
16. Ian Hindmarsh
17. Fuifui Moimoi
18. Weller Hauraki

Edwahu

Bench
I think our pack is well suited to taking on the eels. If we hit like last week we should do a better job of shutting down thier second phase play then the tigers did. That would at least get us some of the way to making a game of it.

thickos

First Grade
I actually think we missed Turner last week. He does a good job on the fringes and brings experience. Jones is actually ball-playing a bit more than I expected, and with TLL+Nev out what can you do besides pick him? He's going better than Miller and Thommo.

There's more points in us at home and Parra's wins (well most of them) have come when the opposition is not travelling too well - that said they were excellent the other day. I think we can contain them.

Mal's Milk

Juniors
I know it's off topic, but did anyone see Tonguy on NRL Footy on Fox last nite? He spoke really well (I have'nt seen in him in many interviews as I'm in Sydney)

He spoke about sticking in Canberra when he could have gone elseware, about the harmony in the team (despite the Carney drama) doing extra work in training and getting a trade (something hopefully Carney is being advised to do) and insisted the team was commited to sticking together.

Plus, unlike many NRL captains, he can actually string his words together. Not that there was any doubt, but he is another great leader of the team.

Mal's Milk

Juniors
PS.

Despite last weeks result I reckon if the boys focus, we can turn it on against Parra on saturday.

GO YOU GOOD THINGS!!!!!!

legend

Coach
Zilly is the key against Parra because they will be hard to beat and our kick returns will be vital to establish solid field position against a team that can turn it on at the flick of a switch.

Zilly is important he has to attack the ball on the kick returns , but the most important thing we need to do is hang on to the ball , if we turn over the ball anything like last week we will get slaughtered. Parra will try to go wide as we are inexperienced out there, our forwards up the middle will be too tight in defence.

dmickey07

Juniors
every week someone says that zillman will be the key; apart from round one, he really hasnt proven himself a gamebreaker ATM. Also, Jones + Turner in the 2nd row is not a good move, too little attacking potence. The last time we started with both those guys we got dusted by the sharks and went scorless. we need thurling back otherwise IMO he will leave and it will be a talent wasted.