What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

raiders vs Rooters

Thompson and Picker to start for Raiders

29/06/2010 2:11:55 PM

Canberra Raiders forwards Troy Thompson and Joe Picker will start for the Green Machine this weekend, for their clash against the Roosters on Sunday at Canberra Stadium.
Thompson starts the match in the front row due to David Shillington’s selection for Queensland, while Picker comes into the side for Tom Learoyd-Lahrs who was selected for NSW for game three.
This means Travis Waddell and Danny Galea join the Raiders NRL squad in the 17 this weekend, with Josh McCrone and rising star Sam Mataora named on an extended Raiders bench.
Raiders assistant Coach Andrew McFadden said the Raiders had resisted the temptation to make wholesale changes and said it’s a matter of working on improving the way the team is playing at the moment.
“We’ve named an extended bench this weekend after the Monday game and we’ve obviously had to make some changes with Tommy and Dave in the Origin sides,” he said. “They need to work on some combinations and make sure we can create some chances and we just need to find a way to get over the line.”

CANBERRA RAIDERS V SYDNEY ROOSTERS

SUNDAY JULY 4, 2.00PM
CANBERRA STADIUM

NRL
1. JOSH DUGAN
2. JOEL MONAGHAN
3. JARROD CROKER
4. JOEL THOMPSON
5. DANIEL VIDOT
6. TERRY CAMPESE (C)
7. ADAM MOGG
8. DANE TILSE
9. GLEN BUTTRISS
10. TROY THOMPSON
11. JOE PICKER
12. BRONSON HARRISON
13. SHAUN FENSOM

14. TRAVIS WADDELL
15. TREVOR THURLING
16. DANNY GALEA
17. JOSH MILLER
18. JOSH McCRONE
20. SAM MATAORA
COACH: DAVID FURNER

http://www.raiders.com.au/default.a...7337&thompson-and-picker-to-start-for-raiders

Cryptic

Juniors
I'm guessing Milne in for Dugan if he is suspended/in jail? *EDIT* nvm, no court day until the 13th and management is waiting until then to make a call...

That may explain his effort on the weekend though...

More training, less driving like a f**ktard with-out a licence...

Raider_69

Post Whore
I know he is a much maligned player in this squad but just sit back and watch how much more potent our attacking left side is with Joe Picker back in the side.
Im tipping Campese will play a lot better too. He always does when picker plays.

Picker is probably close to the most important person in our side in attack imo.
Im glad he's back

canberra_raiders2k2

First Grade
His also incredible slow!

I wish carney was on the bench at least and mogg at 7... Is just not working. But I'll handle one more week to give the combo time.

shear_joy9

Coach
galea and picker are two players that add absolutely nothing to the side.

the team's going to struggle badly for metres this game.
I'd like to see Mataora take waddell's spot on the bench.

Raiders of the lost spark

BY DAVID JEAN, RUGBY LEAGUE
30 Jun, 2010 08:00 AM

Raiders assistant coach Andrew McFadden admits there is no easy way to fix the attacking woes at the heart of Canberra's three-game losing streak.
But the former halfback is confident his team has the personnel to fight its way back into finals contention.
Raiders coaching staff yesterday resisted the urge to make wholesale changes for Sunday's match with the Sydney Roosters, despite an insipid attacking performance costing the team another two competition points on Monday.
The Raiders suffered an 18-10 loss to the Bulldogs at Canberra Stadium, after failing to score in the second half despite dominating possession and field position.
Closing out matches has been a problem for the Raiders all season, with the team averaging a competition low 1.9 points in the final quarter of its 14 games.
They have failed to score in the final 20 minutes of seven of those games.
McFadden admitted Canberra's attack needed to improve markedly, but said hard work, rather than bulk changes, was the answer.
His view obviously matches that of head coach David Furner, who made only minimal changes to his team, bringing forwards Joe Picker and Troy Thompson into the starting side in place of Origin stars David Shillington and Tom Learoyd-Lahrs, while sticking with the back line that struggled to breach the Bulldogs' defence.
''The guys are trying pretty hard at the moment, we've just got to find a way to get over the line,'' McFadden said.
''We're probably just lacking that final execution.
''A bit of it is inexperience and a bit of it is just poor play and poor decision making.
''That's something that we're really going to work hard on this week. ''There's no quick fix, it's going to take a team effort and we've just got to keep trying hard on the training paddock.''

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/news/local/sport/rugby-league/raiders-of-the-lost-spark/1872069.aspx

canberra_raiders2k2

First Grade
I hate those articles that provide nothing...

we suck at attacking, how can we be the number one attacking team with basically the same squad in 2008 and now we cant score??? thats what our problem is..the guys have shown they can lay plenty of points but now all of a sudden we cant even crack 30 points.

We went from being the most exciting team to watch...to this...

Somethings not right, whats changed..the players are the same..the coaches have changed.

Players like campo need to stand up and stop acting like his made of glass, take the bloody line on!

Timbo

Staff member
The only real difference was Colin Best who was our long range strike player in 08.

JT and Croker offer far more than he ever did. What's changed? Furner isn't fit to shine Henry's boots, that's what.

BSB Raiderman

Juniors
I'm with Nick, Picker offers us heaps on that left side, he makes Campo & Croker. By having TLL on the left we have a front rower running decoys & lines which doesnt work.

My main grief with our attack is the complete lack of support play, 6 line breaks on monday night......

Y_R

Juniors
Needs more Justin Carney..... we've been playing with a crippled Croker for the last 2 weeks.... which basically shuts down a whole flank of attack. If Galea plays this week - im deadset packing up.

d-a-z-z-a

Juniors
The only real difference was Colin Best who was our long range strike player in 08.

JT and Croker offer far more than he ever did. What's changed? Furner isn't fit to shine Henry's boots, that's what.

How on earth did we let Neil Henry go, i think management went stingy and would pay him what he wanted/deserved and thus he left. THey thought they could save some money by putting Furner in there.

Henry was our best coach for the past 15 years and we let him walk right out the door.

I hate those articles that provide nothing...

we suck at attacking, how can we be the number one attacking team with basically the same squad in 2008 and now we cant score??? thats what our problem is..the guys have shown they can lay plenty of points but now all of a sudden we cant even crack 30 points.

We went from being the most exciting team to watch...to this...

Somethings not right, whats changed..the players are the same..the coaches have changed.

Players like campo need to stand up and stop acting like his made of glass, take the bloody line on!

Incorrect.

In fact, if you look at our backline on the weekend and compare it to 2008, it would be quicker to name the players that are still there than those that arent.

IIRC, our 2008 backline when we were in top form was something like:

1. Milne
2. Purtell
3. Monas
4. Best
5. Chalk? (maybe forgetting someone?)
6. Campese
7. herbert.

Cmpare that to now:

1. Dugan
2. Vidot
3. Thompson
4. Croker
5. Monas
6. Campo
7. Mogg.

Campese and Monas are the only ones still there! When you add players like fensom, shillo, Harrison in the forward pack it is further evidence that those who say we are more or less the same side are talking utter garbage.

IMO it is futile to agonise over why we arent performing like we were in 2008 when we are a completely different team. Performances this year should only be compared to last year OR compared to how we should be performing when accounting for how we should be naturally progressing and devloping as a side.

edabomb

First Grade
I know he is a much maligned player in this squad but just sit back and watch how much more potent our attacking left side is with Joe Picker back in the side.
Im tipping Campese will play a lot better too. He always does when picker plays.

Picker is probably close to the most important person in our side in attack imo.
Im glad he's back

:lol: I guess he can't make our attack any worse, I don't think he has busted a tackled a 2 years though.

Terrible team all round IMO.

dubby

Bench

Im glad he's back

:lol::lol:

Why? Because he runs a good decoy??

Raider_69

Post Whore
More than his decoys its the way Campo plays when he's on the park. He plays more direct. Which is what he's good at.

wait and see lads. Watch how much better our left hand attack is, watch how much better campese plays, and most of all, watch for the fact we'll outscore our last 2 weeks combined.

Co-incidence? You'll say so. Ill know better.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
If he makes Campese play better than good luck to him. I don't care if we need to sacrifice a chicken or prayer to Tyche we need our halves to perform or we will watch another game where we are parked on an oppositions try line but not doing sh*t.

edabomb

First Grade
More than his decoys its the way Campo plays when he's on the park. He plays more direct. Which is what he's good at.

wait and see lads. Watch how much better our left hand attack is, watch how much better campese plays, and most of all, watch for the fact we'll outscore our last 2 weeks combined.

Co-incidence? You'll say so. Ill know better.

Haha, really giving the team a challenging assignment to score 18 points to prove your point. And to put it all down to Picker, brilliant!

Raider_69

Post Whore
the scoreline point was simply a piss take mate
focus your mind on the first two points and watch how they both pan out this week.

Campese will play better and our left hand side will actually look somewhat structured and threatening, Campese will have options either side of the ruck, which will mean they cant stack the right hand side where Harrison and JT are playing. His lines will enable Campo to play more direct and take the line on more, which is what his strengths are
Thats why the points will come and thats a direct result of having Joe Picker in the team.

But anywho, i know Picker is considered a hack by most of you so im not out to change anyones mind. Simply state what i think will happen

Last edited:

dubby

Bench
So Joe Picker helps Campo play direct?

As opposed to using Dugan/Croker/whoever the secondrower is this week?

I don't think Picker is a hack Nick, I think we have better options.

Raider_69

Post Whore
So Joe Picker helps Campo play direct?
Correct

As opposed to using Dugan/Croker/whoever the secondrower is this week?
None of them can create the space Picker does with his hole running.
Weather you care to admit it or not, none of them seem to help Campese as much as Picker. We can argue all day about why. But there is no doubt Campese plays his best football with Joe Picker off his left hip. For that reason and that reason alone he should be in the side. Because Campese IS our team and what ever we can do to get him playing better footy, thats what we should be doing.

I don't think Picker is a hack Nick, I think we have better options.

We do have better 2nd rowers. What we dont have is one that helps Campese play as well as Joe Picker does. Let me know when we find one and ill stop campaigning for Joe Picker.

Latest posts