What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Raiders want Orford - without the price tag from bullish Bradford

eagles4eva

Coach
He is still a quality player, watched some of his games in the UK, strong organiser on the field, as long as he doesn’t have the kicking duties he will offer something on the field...

If he can form a strong combination with Dugan it will be great to watch, like how he worked with B Stewart…

aussies1st

Staff member
The Raiders' booming talent and potential for success should be enough to convince Matt Orford to choose Canberra over Parramatta, retired Australian five-eighth Trent Barrett says.

Canberra is still waiting to hear whether Orford will be granted a release from his British Super League contract with Bradford which would clear the way for him to join the Raiders for 2011.

Parramatta is also vying for the halfback's signature.

But Barrett said the Raiders' rising stars would give them the edge in the race for Orford's signature.

''I think you definitely have to lean towards Canberra,'' Barrett said.

''You look at the talent Canberra's got and how they finished the year.

''Then you look at some of the outside backs like [Josh] Dugan, who's destined to play for Australia very soon, and their forward pack ... it has to be very appealing for Matt Orford.''

Before Barrett decided to retire at the end of last season, the Raiders tried to convince the playmaker to have a final year in Canberra.

The 33-year-old would have been a ready-made replacement for Terry Campese, who will miss half of next year while he recovers from a knee injury.

The Raiders also chased veteran Brett Kimmorley, before he opted to hang up his boots.

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/new...aiders-talent-to-convince-orford/2004760.aspx

Banana

Juniors
Just for the record, Orford has been granted a release from playing for Bradford. However, Bradford want compensation for the remaining two years of his contract before releasing his registration to play for anybody else.

The odious little tw@t Mimis has been in the press again today trying to blame Bradford for his disgusting tactics.

bileduct

Coach
Just for the record, Orford has been granted a release from playing for Bradford. However, Bradford want compensation for the remaining two years of his contract before releasing his registration to play for anybody else.

The odious little tw@t Mimis has been in the press again today trying to blame Bradford for his disgusting tactics.
Not according to this article.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...back-matt-orford/story-e6frg7mf-1225959720621

What's your source?

Banana

Juniors
What's your source?
Sorry mate, by bad with the wording. Bradford have agreed to release Orford - this hasn't happened yet. He isn't being paid because he hasn't reported for training. Both sides have agreed this. He has also been talking to other clubs whilst under contract to Bradford - I don't know how that sits with down there, but it is heavily frowned upon up here.

All been reported in the local press in Bradford, by a reported who is an official mouthpiece of the club in all but name. Unfortunately, the Aussie press just seem to make up stories to suit their agenda.

He won't play for anybody else within the game until Bradford receive suitable compensation and the RFL have backed Bradford in this - even offering temporary leniency on the salary cap and overseas quota (allowing Herbert to sign). Hopefully the ARL would back the RFL - unless he goes to the Melbourne Rebels, in which case Bradford's only recourse would be to sue him and that won't happen.

We will be glad to see the back of him (although not on the pitch) as his stance has caused the club a lot of problems - if he was honest from the start it could have all been sorted out by now. He will leave and I'm sure he'll be in the NRL next year. Just depends who'll pay the compensation.

supera

Juniors
reports today that parra are formally out of the running - the telly saying the only options are the raiders, or sitting out for a year and then joining the bears in 2012 if they are included.

i dunno if id be thrilled if we paid a lot for his release, but gee i think he could be an awesome signing.

Cryptic

Juniors
Depends... If that counts against the salary cap, f**k that... Otherwise is it worth it? Yes....

Timbo

Staff member
I've read in past articles that the payment to Bradford would not count to the cap.

aussies1st

Staff member
That's what I've seen too. Why not offer him 1 year and if the Bears come in he can take up that offer. It's perfect as we seem to only want a 1 year deal anyway.

Bears wont be in until 2013 and there is no guarentee that they will be in then.

I think he would be after a 2 year deal and thats suits me , Id like to see what Orford and Campo could do, Campo may not be at his best until 2012.

aussies1st

Staff member
Might as well throw this in here, just the usual merry go round.

CANBERRA chairman John McIntyre says the club has no intention of paying anything like the $200,000 English club Bradford wants as a transfer fee for granting premiership-winning halfback Matt Orford a release to return to the NRL.

''Clubs have got to be reasonable when they are dealing with issues like this,'' McIntyre said yesterday. ''We've been reasonable when it comes to the releasing of players to go to other clubs in the past. We're dealing with a young man's career in this instance. He's looking to resume playing in the NRL and we're able to give him that opportunity, but the issue is the $200,000 and we can't get involved in making a payment of that size.

''We might be prepared to negotiate something [with Bradford], but it would be a long way short of $200,000. Hopefully, there will be some common sense used when it comes to sorting all of this out. The Poms can be pretty good at brinkmanship, but at the end of the day we might have to consider our fall-back option if we can't come to an agreement over Orford, and that would be to go with the halves we have.''
Advertisement: Story continues below

The Raiders have been looking for a new player in the halves since five-eighth Terry Campese tore the anterior cruciate ligament in his knee during the finals series, necessitating a reconstruction.

Campese also suffered other damage to the knee, which will extend the recovery period, and there is a big possibility he won't be able to make it on to the field at all next season. The club was originally considering signing an established halfback in the short term so that the club's emerging player in the halves, Josh McCrone, could learn off him next year, but finding such a playmaker became a necessity after Campese went down.

McIntyre said his understanding was that Canberra chief executive Don Furner had settled on terms with Orford, through his manager, George Mimis, on a two-year deal, leaving the transfer fee as the remaining hurdle. It is understood Orford is owed $200,000 in wages by Bradford, and that the Super League club wished to retain that and treat it as the transfer fee in exchange for releasing him.

McIntyre indicated that the Raiders wanted Orford and his manager to resolve that issue with Bradford.

''I don't know that Don has had any [transfer fee] discussions at all with Bradford,'' McIntyre said. ''I understand David [Furner, the Canberra coach] was going to the [Anthony Mundine-Garth Wood] fight last night, and was expecting to catch up with Orford there. We'd like to have the bloke come along and start training with us, and take it from there, but I'm not sure if we can do that at this stage. We wouldn't want to do anything that might jeopardise the deal.''

Negotiations between Orford's manager and Parramatta recently broke down, leaving Canberra as the last remaining option for the veteran No.7, who played in the Manly side that won the 2008 grand final over Melbourne. Mimis said at the time that Eels coach Stephen Kearney had told him the club could not wait any longer to find out if Bradford would grant him a release without asking for a transfer fee. Parramatta are now going with their existing halves next year.

Meanwhile, leading player manager Wayne Beavis said last night he could not be sure when the NRL would make a decision on whether to accept South Sydney's contract with superstar Greg Inglis in its current form. Beavis is handling the matter on behalf of Inglis's manager, Allan Gainey, while Gainey is away. Salary cap auditor Ian Schubert is deciding whether the value of third-party deals that have been organised for Inglis should be included under the cap.

''I spoke to 'Shoey' and he said he had all the paper-work necessary to help him make a decision,'' Beavis said. ''We've just got to wait.''

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...tag-from-bullish-bradford-20101209-18rhc.html

aussies1st

Staff member
Might as well throw this in here, just the usual merry go round.

CANBERRA chairman John McIntyre says the club has no intention of paying anything like the $200,000 English club Bradford wants as a transfer fee for granting premiership-winning halfback Matt Orford a release to return to the NRL.

''Clubs have got to be reasonable when they are dealing with issues like this,'' McIntyre said yesterday. ''We've been reasonable when it comes to the releasing of players to go to other clubs in the past. We're dealing with a young man's career in this instance. He's looking to resume playing in the NRL and we're able to give him that opportunity, but the issue is the $200,000 and we can't get involved in making a payment of that size.

''We might be prepared to negotiate something [with Bradford], but it would be a long way short of $200,000. Hopefully, there will be some common sense used when it comes to sorting all of this out. The Poms can be pretty good at brinkmanship, but at the end of the day we might have to consider our fall-back option if we can't come to an agreement over Orford, and that would be to go with the halves we have.''
Advertisement: Story continues below

The Raiders have been looking for a new player in the halves since five-eighth Terry Campese tore the anterior cruciate ligament in his knee during the finals series, necessitating a reconstruction.

Campese also suffered other damage to the knee, which will extend the recovery period, and there is a big possibility he won't be able to make it on to the field at all next season. The club was originally considering signing an established halfback in the short term so that the club's emerging player in the halves, Josh McCrone, could learn off him next year, but finding such a playmaker became a necessity after Campese went down.

McIntyre said his understanding was that Canberra chief executive Don Furner had settled on terms with Orford, through his manager, George Mimis, on a two-year deal, leaving the transfer fee as the remaining hurdle. It is understood Orford is owed $200,000 in wages by Bradford, and that the Super League club wished to retain that and treat it as the transfer fee in exchange for releasing him.

McIntyre indicated that the Raiders wanted Orford and his manager to resolve that issue with Bradford.

''I don't know that Don has had any [transfer fee] discussions at all with Bradford,'' McIntyre said. ''I understand David [Furner, the Canberra coach] was going to the [Anthony Mundine-Garth Wood] fight last night, and was expecting to catch up with Orford there. We'd like to have the bloke come along and start training with us, and take it from there, but I'm not sure if we can do that at this stage. We wouldn't want to do anything that might jeopardise the deal.''

Negotiations between Orford's manager and Parramatta recently broke down, leaving Canberra as the last remaining option for the veteran No.7, who played in the Manly side that won the 2008 grand final over Melbourne. Mimis said at the time that Eels coach Stephen Kearney had told him the club could not wait any longer to find out if Bradford would grant him a release without asking for a transfer fee. Parramatta are now going with their existing halves next year.

Meanwhile, leading player manager Wayne Beavis said last night he could not be sure when the NRL would make a decision on whether to accept South Sydney's contract with superstar Greg Inglis in its current form. Beavis is handling the matter on behalf of Inglis's manager, Allan Gainey, while Gainey is away. Salary cap auditor Ian Schubert is deciding whether the value of third-party deals that have been organised for Inglis should be included under the cap.

''I spoke to 'Shoey' and he said he had all the paper-work necessary to help him make a decision,'' Beavis said. ''We've just got to wait.''

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...tag-from-bullish-bradford-20101209-18rhc.html

supera

Juniors
if he wasnt such a damn good player, or if he werent exactly the player we need, or if we were still competing with other nrl clubs for him, i'd have said forget it.

its getting beyond ridiculous. yes, players should honour contracts. but i think most players go there chasing the cash and dont give enough consideration to the culture shock. its unreasonable to hold a player half way across the world against his will with a ridiculous price tag on him in circumstances where that player wants to go home. a reasonable fee would be a quarter of what bradford are asking.

I can understand Bradfords position , but they got to realise he isnt going back and if they force him to honour his agreement would they really want a disgruntled player on the field.

We have to train with the players who are here now. Eventually someone is going to get tired , either the Raiders, Bradford or Orford.

Nth-Qld-Raider

Juniors
Brett White said on ABC 666 Canberra this morning that he has been talking to Matt Orford about coming to the Raiders since he was in negotiation with us, so thats been a while, and Orford is excited by the prospect of playing in our team, and he hopes the situation with Bradford is sorted out soon so he can start training.

It sounded like Parramatta were never a chance of getting Orford at all, so they didn't pull out of the race, they were told thanks but no thanks.

Latest posts