What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rams and Reds

joondalup_giant

Staff member
be strong wildman, do u think anyone on here has connections 2 the NRL ARL?? and could let them know wat were all thinkin

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Wild Man From Borneo said:
Its all about sponsors, money. It gets on my nerves. Sometimes I feel like I'm going to give up and follow the Swans. But I can't because the club means so much to me.

I do see your point. I am a Sharks man, however should they die, I would remain a RL fan - it is the game I love more than anything.

Well if you dislike the commercial aspect of the game, you could follow the amateur game of Union - sorry I forget they have pissed on their traditions and pay their players heaps - or possibly the Swans, but if you have seen league you'll be dissappointed.

Next time your looking at a sponsors logo - drift off and think of the all time best "Wildman of League" - that wonderful Bulldog - ROBBO.

The next ROBBO has probably just been born in Vic Park WA, hopefully by the time he is 16 he will have a team to follow.

Bengal

Juniors
Zef said:
On the contrary, there's always been a solid core of Kiwi's that love us. And we should be doing more for them.

So that's a good idea - piss the Storm off to Wellington, now you're talking.

"The Wellington Storm" Got a nice ring to it don't it.

The Wellington Storm that's the best name of seen since I saw Lantana suggest the South Australia Rabbitohs.

very nice ring to it indeed 8)

Rustay

Juniors
Id love to see a team here in Perth again. I liked the Reds (except for when playing the Sharks) and always wanted them to make the finals and see a big crowd to watch a league game here in Perth. I still have a tape of the first ever Reds game.... what a great crowd that was...once.

joondalup_giant said:
be strong wildman, do u think anyone on here has connections 2 the NRL ARL?? and could let them know wat were all thinkin
The best thing to do would be to ring/email the sports shows on the radio (2UE,2KY). If Gallop had a bit of brains he would listen to the shows and listen to the feedback on RL.
Alot of people say Gallop is confident, positive, professional etc. But what has he done (he did make a correct decision about the salary cap). I never hear about the development of young players, promotion of RL in Non-RL areas. In other words he has done f**k all.
They sit around and scratch their heads and wonder why our crowds are so crap. All they say is "we want to get bums on seats". We'll get off your own bum and do something about it!! A huge amount of tickets were bought then given away (warriors game) to get more people interested in RL (and the warriors). Who did this? NOT THE NRL. Low crowd numbers arn't just in sydney. The warriors should be able to get more people. Super 12 games in NZ (and Aus. too) get bloody good crowds. Yet the warriors, who apparantly represent the whole of NZ get crowds around 20k (which is pathetic IMO). They Sydney Swans get better crowds than the Raiders, Broncos, Knights. These are well established clubs in RL heartland, and each have whole cites to themselves. Something seriously doesn't add up. There's a massive market for RL. Just think about it: North QLD, NZ, Brisbane/gold coast/South Qld, Central Coast, Newcastle/Hunter, ACT, Illawarra/Wollongong, Sydney and Melbourne. What has the AFL got: Melbourne, Perth, Adeleide and Sydney and look at their crowds! There's a heap of potential in RL heartland..but its asleap. Can't the NRL understand that they have to promote the game and actually try to sell it and do it the right way. Doesn't the NRL relise that the Broncos have been established since the late eighties, have a whole city to themselves and get less people to their games than the Lions AFL club. Something just doesn't add up. Can't they see this?!
What was the general opinion of the RL fans that went to the SydVCollingwood AFL game? "...couldn't believe the atmosphere." Doesn't that say something about RL. I love going to games..Sorry..I look forward to going to games. Then when I get there I have to put up with the clown that calls my team "the mitsubishi electric bulldogs". I never here the club song played, instead I here all this disco music crap or whatever they call it. There's none of those huge banners etc etc. In my opinion its pretty shithouse.
The NRL needs to give itself a big boost. Like a revoultion. Whether it be giving away tickets etc. Once people experience a game with a huge vocal crowd they'll want to go back. At the moment the NRL is hoping that crowds slowly increase.
(correct me if I'm wrong) but I herd that if there was a pokie tax in Victoria it would not affect the AFL clubs. Why? Have a look at their season ticket holders numbers. They don't rely on no hopers sitting behind one armed bandits to keep their clubs alive..they rely on supporters..TRUE SUPPORTERS that are dedicated and go to every game, go to open training sessions etc to SUPPORT their team. We need this sort of passion installed into Rugby League. But Gallop never talks about it. He just boasts about the deal with 2GB that "is in the best interest of Rugby League" (If I hear that one more time from Gallop I'm going to rip the bastard's glasses off his head and shove them down his throat..because its all a load of bullshit). A caller (on 2sm) asked why 2GB got the "exclusive rights" (bullshit) and why other stations didn't get the chance to call games. All Gallop (who was taking calls) said was "well we beleive that 2GB do a professional job at broadcasting". Ok they get excellent ratings. But why not let other stations, who would be willing, to broadcast games (2UE, 2SM and maybe an FM station). This would increase the audience. A dickhead can work it out..2GB are offering big money to be the sole (comercial station) that can call games. Gallop isn't thinking of increasing the audience. If he was fair dinkum he would make sure that games are broadcasted right across Australia through the maquarie network(2GB). He would let channel 7, 10 and ABC show games if they want to. They are (nrl) staving for money (which is fair enough) BUT WHAT ARE THEY DOING WITH THIS MONEY? f**k ALL. No promotion, shit development of jouniors. They arn't looking into the future. What ever happened to "that's my team" that was a five minute wonder.
During superleague Rugby League in Australia fell into a deep hole. We need to get ourselves out of the hole. The NRL are hoping that somebody will help us. But it will never happen.

greeneyed

First Grade
The Swans and Lions get great crowds in Sydney and Brisbane as they are "one city/one team" teams in MAJOR cities (ie the first and third biggest in the country). When they win, they get the "event" attenders. But fundamentally, they have the expats from the south attending to fall back on in the hard times. This is an important point to remember. There is a demographic shift of the population and it is going from the cold south of Melbourne to Brisbane/Gold Coast and Sydney.

To say, the Swans get bigger crowds than Canberra or Newcastle and that proves something is silly. Canberra has a population of 350,000 max... Newcastle maybe smaller. Sydney Swans draw from the whole city of Sydney which is 3 million or more. The Broncos are a problem, but they have really alienated a lot of their supporters. I think that is partly true in Canberra, but will be easily recovered once the Raiders are "winners".

Melbourne AFL clubs don't worry about a "pokie tax" as they have never had pokies..... they were always forced to attract crowds to get money. The Sydney clubs haven't. Instead they plundered other areas (Qld and NSW country) for players based on pokie revenues, with no thought for development..... This made many Sydney clubs complacent. This is a significant problem for league in the so called "heartland".

It was a major disaster in my view, that we let the Perth and Adelaide teams die..... the AFL would never have allowed that... and look at them now. And yet, the Sydneyites want the Melbourne Storm to fail as well! Talk about short sighted......

If we have expansion now though, the marginal Sydney teams really need to move. Souths to South Australia, Wests to Western Australia, Balmain to merge with Brisbane Easts in Brisbane, Cronulla to Gold Coast. The benefits of Campbelltown and Central Coast are MAJORLY overstated. We need teams in major TV markets and neither qualify. The importance of having strong local league teams in Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth is emphasised by what happened to our national TV ratings for the Grand Final. The same sort of effect is going to be felt by rugby union, as they can't sell the RWC to those cities for any price: that is why national WRC ratings are a disaster. If rugby league is to prosper it needs to be NATIONAL and it can only get there by having teams, successful ones, in the south and west.

Mark Rudd

Juniors
I've said it over and over and over over and over and over over and over and over over and over and over over and over and over over and over and over over and over and over.

Talking about the games problems or your great ideas here does nothing. Send email afer email after email after email email after email after email email after email after email email after email after email email after email after email to the NRL.

And do it over and over and over over and over and over over and over and over over and over and over over and over and over over and over and over over and over and over.

(I wonder if they'll get it this time?)

dimitri

First Grade
It was a major disaster in my view, that we let the Perth and Adelaide teams die..... the AFL would never have allowed that... and look at them now. And yet, the Sydneyites want the Melbourne Storm to fail as well! Talk about short sighted......

i totally agree

100000%

Once Dead

Bench
Zef said:
I always reckon it's funny how the advocates of culling/merging/re-locating Sydney teams are strong on the idea until someone suggests it may be THEIR team.

Then all of a sudden they start spluttering about "tradition" and "history" and all the rest of it.

Take Dimitri for example, if he had his way he's send my Dogs off to Wellington without a blink. But ask him if he'll send his Dragons down to The 'Gong (full-time) and all of a sudden decentralisation hasn't got the same appeal.

And good riddance to The Rams and The Reds, a complete waste of good time and effort. And as soon as Lochie gets bored we can get rid of that other pile on league's arse (Storm) and get on with looking after the ones that love us.

Because in case anyone hasn't noticed - those southern belles only have eyes for AFL.

I agree with Zef on his first point.......but on the Rams Reds debate......i'd rather the Reds or the Rams instead of Melbourne because theres more of a chance in S.A and W.A compared to Victoria

XXXX

Juniors
"..but on the Rams Reds debate......i'd rather the Reds or the Rams instead of Melbourne because theres more of a chance in S.A and W.A compared to Victoria "

I'd be interested to know why you think so .Melbourne has 4 times the population of the other 2 cities and there is travel and venues involved .All three cities are about equal on the juniors front .If you think exposure is poor in Melbourne to the NRL ,then it's no existant here .Even the GF was delayed and pushed into the night .

Once Dead

Bench
XXXX said:
"..but on the Rams Reds debate......i'd rather the Reds or the Rams instead of Melbourne because theres more of a chance in S.A and W.A compared to Victoria "

I'd be interested to know why you think so .Melbourne has 4 times the population of the other 2 cities and there is travel and venues involved .All three cities are about equal on the juniors front .If you think exposure is poor in Melbourne to the NRL ,then it's no existant here .Even the GF was delayed and pushed into the night .

You will never force yourself, no matter how hard you try into and AFL saturated market......they will still be playing AFL in Melbourne till the day the earth packs it in and says goodbye.........at least the other states aren't as hardened and saturated AS Victoria is.......they may be heavy on AFL, i don't know........but at least there's something to work with in those states......in Victoria you've got nothing.......

XXXX

Juniors
"they may be heavy on AFL, i don't know....."

Both WA and SA have ALL their AFL going well at the moment .Plus these are just as much AF cities as Melbourne ,it's just that they had powerful state leagues before adding AFL teams .(just like QRL to NRL)

"...but at least there's something to work with in those states."

what exactly have you got ??? The local Gridiron league has a higher profile than the WARL here at present .There is No pre-midnight NRL on TV .The GF was significantly delayed on TV .

".....in Victoria you've got nothing......."

I'm sure the situations are similar everywhere outside QLD and NSW and NZ .

In-goal

Bench
there has been some very good posts in here buy some knowledgeable fans, The NRL needs to not only market the game better but start portraying the NRL as the toughest Rugby comp on Earth.

The latter comment will have it's knockers but in truth it is simply that the truth, many fans have forgotten the first word to our name RUGBY one i think has been hijacked.

I've mentioed in previous posts that up until the early 90's AFL and NRL crowds were similar with the exception of a couple of clubs, The AFL then capitilised on major rivalries which saw memberships and crowd numbers jump 10 fold.

joondalup_giant

Staff member
the NRL should treat W.A and S.A like they do with the country comps get NRL players over here and have sum clinics, the WARL have 3 coachin clinics comin up soon, should be pretty good

thomo

Juniors
In the short term I'd like to see every team give up at least 1 (or even better 2) of their home games and play in a developing area. I know some teams are already doing so (Canterbury, Souths, Canberra? Wests?) but if every team gave up a home game then we would have 15 games to distribute amongst cities like Perth, Adelaide, Gold Coast, Gosford, Wellington and Christchurch.

The NRL should compensate the clubs so that they aren't financially disadvantaged by moving a home game or two.

Tidus_Raider

Bench
thomo said:
In the short term I'd like to see every team give up at least 1 (or even better 2) of their home games and play in a developing area. I know some teams are already doing so (Canterbury, Souths, Canberra? Wests?) but if every team gave up a home game then we would have 15 games to distribute amongst cities like Perth, Adelaide, Gold Coast, Gosford, Wellington and Christchurch.

The NRL should compensate the clubs so that they aren't financially disadvantaged by moving a home game or two.

Not the way to go. Moving games makes supporters even more disenchanted and lets face it supporters are fickle and selfish. They won't want a home game moved regardless of the reason.

I think the way to go is having pre-season games, City/country games but most importantly INTERNATIONALS played in those areas to show that the NRL and ARL is committed to developing the area and as a reward we're sending the Australian team to play there.

joondalup_giant

Staff member
Tidus_Raider said:
thomo said:

Not the way to go. Moving games makes supporters even more disenchanted and lets face it supporters are fickle and selfish. They won't want a home game moved regardless of the reason.

I think the way to go is having pre-season games, City/country games but most importantly INTERNATIONALS played in those areas to show that the NRL and ARL is committed to developing the area and as a reward we're sending the Australian team to play there.

the union do it and its succesfull so y cant league do it, most of the people dont care wat sport it is wen it comes 2 international they just wanna support australia, new zealand.......

dimitri

First Grade
there is no doubt in my mind there should be more tests

in perth, adelaide, and melbourne

we really need a world cup to celebraate our centenary

Latest posts