What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Random International News

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Not sure what the answer is then other than the dragons sharing the load with a Toulouse side in super league and other English based super league sides and Toronto who have French players??

I actually like your idea about a French player quota for Catalans and Toulouse, I would just want to make sure that all of these French players are benefitting the national team.

Maybe a deal can be struck that Toulouse and Catalans will be exempt from relegation in exchange for a quota of French players and an iron clad agreement that those players will be released during set rep windows (namely mid-year test weekend and the October-November international window).

Walter sobchak

First Grade
I actually like your idea about a French player quota for Catalans and Toulouse, I would just want to make sure that all of these French players are benefitting the national team.

Maybe a deal can be struck that Toulouse and Catalans will be exempt from relegation in exchange for a quota of French players and an iron clad agreement that those players will be released during set rep windows (namely mid-year test weekend and the October-November international window).
Can’t see that ever been accepted as Toronto could rightfully ask for it too.

The only way around this is for some sort of conference setup with either a European conference or a international conference that includes French&north American sides alongside a U.K. conference which includes promotion and relegation.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Can’t see that ever been accepted as Toronto could rightfully ask for it too.

The only way around this is for some sort of conference setup with either a European conference or a international conference that includes French&north American sides alongside a U.K. conference which includes promotion and relegation.

I wouldn't disagree with that. As another poster suggested previously, P&R for English clubs (if they choose to) and licencing for non-English clubs.

I think RL as a whole is better off moving towards away from P&R anyway, football can afford it because they are a bigger sport but it is detrimental to RL's expansion plans and in some cases is downright devastating.

Walter sobchak

First Grade
I wouldn't disagree with that. As another poster suggested previously, P&R for English clubs (if they choose to) and licencing for non-English clubs.

I think RL as a whole is better off moving towards away from P&R anyway, football can afford it because they are a bigger sport but it is detrimental to RL's expansion plans and in some cases is downright devastating.
My ideal scenario would be in the short term to incrementally increase super league to 16 teams to include Toulouse, Ottawa and New York over 2-3 years before creating a 5 team international conference for said teams alongside Catalan and Toronto.

Springs09

Juniors
Surely the IRL or even the RFL could place a stipulation that entering a team into elite competitions require players being released for national duty?

Even small bush leagues can suspend players from club games if they don't turn up for rep games without a legitimate reason.

adamkungl

Immortal

Currently the RFL funds:
11 top flight teams for an estimated 2M each (22M)
14 championships for roughly 200K each (2.8M)
11 3rd tier clubs for 25k each (275k)
total 25M

(these are prety rough guesstimates, correct me if im wrong. I'm trying to illustrate a broader point so they dont necessarily need to be exact)

Under a split conference system as I proposed they could fund

6 Super League teams for 2.4M each (14.4M)
16 Championship teams for 600k each (9.6M)
16 League One teams for 60k each (960K)
total 24.96M

A higher salary cap for the SL teams, a much stronger 2nd and 3rd tier with Championship capable of going full time on those numbers (600k for 30 players squad is above minimum wage).

The remaining licenced foreign teams would be privately funded and could arrange their own TV deals in league with their governing bodies. (eg. 3 SL French teams + the FFR would be a stronger bargaining position than now)
More money could come into the sport allowing the above funding to rise over time, too.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
My ideal scenario would be in the short term to incrementally increase super league to 16 teams to include Toulouse, Ottawa and New York over 2-3 years before creating a 5 team international conference for said teams alongside Catalan and Toronto.

In this scenario would you keep P&R for the English conference?

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Yes. But like I’ve said before I think you’d need the mind of Stephen Hawkins to workout a fixture format between both conferences.

Superleague 2040:

Martin Offiah Conference (only English teams drawn an random each year):
Wigan
St Helens
Warrington
Newcastle
London
York

Ellery Hanley Conference (only English teams drawn an random each year):
Leeds
Castleford
Huddersfield
Hull KR
Hull FC
Bradford

North American Conference:
Toronto
Ottowa
Montreal
New York
Boston
Jacksonville

European Conference:
Catalans
Toulouse
West Wales
South Wales
Valencia
Red Star Belgrade

• Play everyone in your pool home and away for 10 rounds.
Top four in each pool move to phase 2 of SL
  • Play all teams outside of your pool home and away (rounds 11 - 26)
  • Top four play in a semi-final 1v4 and 2v3 with the highest ranked teams hosting
  • Grand Final at Old Trafford
Bottom two in each pool play in the relegation decider phase:
  • Play all teams outside of your pool home and away (rounds 11 - 22)
  • The highest ranked teams from all 4 original pools secure their place in SL for the next season
  • The lowest ranked teams from all 4 original pools proceed to a P&R playoff*
*Yes, you could technically finish second and go into a reglegation playoff but that is life sometimes, it will also mean that you are in pretty good form and most likely won't lose the relegation playoff.

P&R Playoffs hosted by the higher ranked team:
  • Offiah Conference loser v English Championship (1st or 2nd drawn at random)
  • Hanley Conference loser v English Championship (1st or 2nd drawn at random)
  • North American Conference probably will be a closed shop and will not require a playoff
  • European Conference v Euro Elite 1 Winner*
*French Elite 1 comp to convert to Euro Elite 1 Comp where all Euro clubs outside of England that wish to have a pathway to SL will compete in.

Last edited:
Reactions: siv
A Vietnamese Representative team is set to make it’s Rugby League debut this February when the ‘Water Buffalos’ debut at the 2020 Cabramatta International Nines.

Joining fellow ASEAN teams in the Men’s tournament, the Philippines Tamaraws and ASEAN Representative side, the side will be the first official Vietnamese team to run out under the Rugby League Vietnam (Bóng bầu dục liên minh Việt Nam) banner.

Rugby League Vietnam (RLV) was established to growing interest in Rugby League both in Vietnam and throughout the Vietnamese communities around the globe. The aim of the RLV is to establish local competitions in Vietnam in the coming years.

The ‘Water Buffalos’ squad will feature a number of players who have previously played for the ASEAN Representative teams at tournaments such as the Cabramatta International Nines and Emerging Nations World Championship including Peter and Lam Nguyen.

https://www.aseanrl.com/2020/01/05/vietnam-to-make-rugby-league-debut/

Valencia have announced the signings of Luis Roberts, Connor Aspey and Sam Bardsley from Salford.

The side are set to face Championship outfit Featherstone in a pre-season test, and recently announced their first set of players to feature in the fixture.

After recently signing professional contracts with the club, Roberts and Aspey will be joined by Salford Red Devils Foundation community coach and development academy graduate Bardsley, who currently plays at senior level for local club Folly Lane.

Salford head coach Ian Watson said: “Playing for Valencia is a great development opportunity for the young lads.

“They’ll gain the experience of playing overseas and also be exposed to a Championship side who were only one game away from reaching Super League last year.

“Conor and Luis will then join us for our warm weather training camp, which will be another valuable experience for them.”

Dean Buchan, CEO of Los Huracanes, added “We are very happy to welcome Luis, Connor and Sam into our match day squad for our first game against Featherstone. I’m sure they will give us that extra bit of quality that perhaps our squad needed.

“I’d like to thank Ian Blease and his team for how easy and helpful they have been to deal with. Our relationship with Ian and Salford has really developed over the last few months and its great to have a Super League club in our corner.

“We look forward to developing our relationship with them further in the months and years to come.”

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/salford-trio-loaned-to-valencia/

Latest posts