What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Random Tigers articles from the media

Ron's_Mate

Bench
Russell Packer emerges as shock captaincy candidate at Wests Tigers
Adrian Proszenko
Published:
November 8 2017 - 8:00PM

Wests Tigers coach Ivan Cleary has revealed Russell Packer is a shock captaincy candidate as the joint-venture outfit prepares to officially welcome some of its high-profile recruits.

Marquee signings Josh Reynolds, Ben Matulino and Chris McQueen will report to Concord Oval for the first time on Thursday for their opening day of pre-season. The trio are among the captaincy candidates to replace Belmore-bound Aaron Woods alongside a host of senior players including Elijah Taylor and Chris Lawrence.

Cleary revealed Packer will also be in contention for the role when he joins the squad after fulfilling his World Cup commitments with the Kiwis.

"I've known Russell for a long time and he has leadership qualities as well," Cleary told Fairfax Media. "He's not shy about coming forward and having an opinion. He's passionate about what he does.

"It says a lot about who he is as a person [to bounce back from his setbacks]."

Packer's career appeared over when he was jailed for a year for a vicious alcohol-fuelled assault. The prop, who formed a relationship with Cleary from their time at the Warriors, has subsequently turned his life around. He accepted a lifeline from the Dragons, earned the right to return to the NRL after a stint in reserve grade and has undertaken community work and earned a university degree as part of his personal and professional development off the field.

Cleary will see how his new recruits come together with the established members of the squad before picking Woods' successor, but hasn't ruled out appointing co-captains.

"I'm not in a hurry. Even how we do it, I'm pretty open about whether we do that in a traditional way or we try something different," Cleary said. "Co-captains have shown to be pretty successful, the Cowboys have been a pretty good example of that in the recent past. There have also been some other models that have been done. I'm not saying I'm going to do that, it's about looking at what will work best for us.

"I want to see how people go in a new group. It's a completely new group so it may not necessarily be someone you might think."

The Tigers have been the most active club in the open market. Their list of recruits include McQueen, Matulino, Packer, Robbie Rochow, Mahe Fonua, Taane Milne and Corey Thompson. However, most excitement surrounds the arrival of Reynolds. Such was the regard for the former NSW pivot at Canterbury that former skipper James Graham offered to sacrifice the pay rise he was entitled to under the new collective bargaining agreement in order to retain Reynolds.

Cleary said he was excited about Reynolds' ability to unify a side on and off the field.

"He's just got to bring himself, that's the first thing, he doesn't have to do anything different," Cleary said. "That's what we signed him, for what he is, not necessarily for what [outsiders] want him to be.

"He's obviously very experienced, he's played in grand finals, he's played in winning teams pretty much his whole career. He's obviously passionate about the game and who he plays for. That's something that sits well with what we're trying to do.

"He's keen after last season to have a big one and I'm looking forward to working with him.

"There's not many guys around where it's so obvious when they leave a club that they have so much respect with players, fans and members. That's a pretty special quality and something we could certainly do with."

In a selfless gesture, Cleary donated a kidney to his ill brother, Ash, during the off-season. The former Warriors and Panthers coach said the initial signs indicated the operation was a success.

"I'm good and he's going pretty well too," he said. "So far the transfer was a success. It's a long way to go but he's going pretty well and I'm fine."

This story was found at: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...andidate-at-wests-tigers-20171108-gzh97c.html

Ron's_Mate

Bench
Josh Reynolds to bring 'family club' values to Wests Tigers
Adrian Proszenko
Published:
November 11 2017 - 6:00PM

He may have left the "family club", but Josh Reynolds wants to bring those same values to Wests Tigers.

Reynolds, the highest-profile of the joint-venture outfit's recruits, reported for training for the first time during the week. The former NSW five-eighth admitted it was "a little bit weird" donning the black, white and gold after being a Bulldog for so long, but is embracing the challenge of taking his game to another level.

One of Belmore's favourite sons, Reynolds is renowned for his ability to bring his teammates together. So much so that James Graham, in an attempt to keep him at Canterbury, offered to sacrifice the pay rise he was entitled to – believed to be a six-figure amount under the new collective bargaining agreement – to retain Reynolds.

The man credited with being the social glue at Belmore wants to ensure he becomes just as tight with his new teammates.

"When I got my first bit of gear it was a little bit weird, it wasn't blue and white," Reynolds said in his first interview in Tigers colours.

"I don't go home and say, 'I can't believe I'm in this'. I'm going to take it with both hands. I know I grew up in Belmore, but I want to create the same concept here. I'm doing what I love, which is playing rugby league – it's just for a different club. It doesn't mean I'm going to be any less passionate about who I play for. My whole family used to go for them growing up. There are ties there.

"The club is on the up with the type of players they've bought and bringing Ivan [Cleary] in will change the club. The fans of the Wests Tigers haven't – this is no disrespect to the players that have played – but they haven't seen semi-finals in a while. It would be nothing better than to come here with a few new boys and try and do that and try and create a great culture."

Tigers fans are anxious to see the new-look Reynolds-Luke Brooks halves combination in action for the first time in their season opener against the Roosters. However, Reynolds is already allowing himself to think a little further ahead.

"I'd be lying if I said I wasn't having a little think about that game," he said of the round 12 clash with former club Canterbury.

"The old cliche is I take it like any other game, but it's definitely going to be weird coming up against them because I've played with a lot of them for a good five or six years.

"It's going to be interesting and fun. Before will the hardest bit, but when it kicks off it will be just another game. They will probably get into me. [Laughing] I don't get into people on the field, so I'll just take it on the chin and walk off. While it's going to be hard, I'll make sure it's fun because in 20 years, when we have a beer down the track, we'll have a laugh about how I did something crazy or outrageous in the game."

Reynolds described the 2017 season as a "draining year for me", the result of a series of injuries, speculation about his future and the Bulldogs missing the finals. He was courted by Cronulla and the appeal of going to a team full of superstars held appeal. However, he was impressed by Cleary's pitch and relished the chance to take on a greater leadership role at the Tigers.

"I feel here at the Tigers, the team comes first," he said.

"No one is better than anyone, it doesn't matter if you've played 30 Origins or you're debuting. I think that's a great culture and message to get across to the boys. Everyone takes that on board. Everyone takes leadership and ownership, that's the best way to be.

"For me at the Bulldogs, I felt I was a bit the same. There were so many good players around me, I just had to do my job. I wanted to step out of my comfort zone. Maybe it's because I'm getting on in footy, I'm 28 years old, and I definitely want to become an influence in the team, a bit of a leader."

The man affectionately dubbed "Grub" is the first to concede he isn't the silkiest player. His greatest strengths are his energy and passion, qualities that help bring his teammates closer off the field. The Bulldogs junior was stunned by Graham's gesture and wants to be a uniting force at Concord.

"Away from the game, that's the most humbling thing, the most amazing thing that anyone has ever done," Reynolds said of Graham.

"I never knew about it, that was the best thing. Even when we had a couple of beers lately, he didn't mention it. It's something he wanted to do. It's weird, from the outside looking in at a lot of clubs, a lot of players look at it as just a job. That's fine, that's the way they do it. But for me it's about creating friendships because when footy is done you don't come to training every day. So you don't see those mates every day. It's about creating [lasting] friendships.

"That's what I was like at the Dogs. It didn't mind to me if I had to see the boys out west or go out to Cronulla, it's what I like doing. I've always been like that, I like being around good people and creating friendships. I want to do that at the Tigers. They have accepted me so well. Honestly, it feels like I've been here for a couple of years already in two days. Not the footy stuff, just being able to muck around with a few of the boys."

While it may take time to get used to the sight of Reynolds in a Tigers jersey, his family has history with the club.

"My grandparents lived in Annandale," he said.

"My mum grew up there before they moved to Belmore. My cousins were all Tigers fans before I started playing for the Dogs. So now they have to dust off their old jerseys and get them out at Leichhardt Oval."

This story was found at: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...b-values-to-wests-tigers-20171111-gzjbvl.html

Ron's_Mate

Bench
Ronnie Palmer finally comes home to Wests Tigers
Adrian Proszenko
Published:
November 14 2017 - 5:24PM

Ronnie Palmer, the game's most recognised trainer, is finally coming home.

More than four decades after playing for Balmain, Palmer is the latest new face at the Wests Tigers.

The Tigers have been the most active club in the player market, with signings including Josh Reynolds, Russell Packer, Ben Matulino, Chris McQueen, Robbie Rochow, Corey Thompson, Mahe Fonua, Taane Milne and Benji Marshall.

However, their coaching staff will also have a fresh look with the addition of favourite son Brett Hodgson, while Palmer and former Broncos staffer Steve Hooper – currently in camp with the Kangaroos – head up the high-performance unit.

Palmer was head trainer at the Roosters for 24 years and more recently worked at Penrith and Parramatta. But the chance to return to the club he played for was too good to refuse.

"I'm going back to where it all began, as they say," Palmer said. "My first year [as a player] at the Tigers was '71 and I had five years there. Whenever I'm doing any team, as the song says, you've got to love the one you're with.

"I played as a local junior at the Balmain club. I still live in the area, I've never moved out so it's always been close to my heart."

The Tigers are in a rebuilding phase, something Palmer knows plenty about. He helped Tigers coach Ivan Cleary with Penrith's rebuild when they were at the foot of the mountains and also assisted Brad Arthur's turnaround of Parramatta. Now the man affectionately known as "40-20", "The Cougar" and "The Balmain Chalmer" is going back to where it all began.

"It was a tough decision because the Eels are obviously on the up, they've got a good coach and their CEO is a good mate of mine," Palmer said.

"Things are really going to happen for the Eels and I had the chance to stay there. But this is another good challenge for me and I've had a good working relationship with Ivan for a long time. I had him as a player and we got together at Penrith and tried to create something there.

"It's a fabulous challenge. They have some exciting young players and it's refreshing."

Cleary said the addition of Palmer and Hodgson to the joint-venture outfit would be of great benefit to the team's preparations for the 2018 season.

"I've worked with Ronnie before as a player and coach," Cleary said.

"His experience will be invaluable and he's an ex-Tiger, so he will fit right in there as well. That's where it all started for him and he's always lived in the area.

"Brett Hodgson was part of the premiership-winning team and is a club favourite. He's done really well in the coaching ranks in England. We've got some good additions and have kept some very capable staff as well ,so it's a good mix."

This story was found at: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...mes-home-to-wests-tigers-20171114-gzl836.html

Tiger Ted

Bench
Welcome back home Ronnie.Hopefully by the time u retire @ Concord we would’ve won a premiership with son of IC managing the team around the park !!

Front-Rower

First Grade
Gotta give whatever due credit to the current board for facilitating this total rebuild of everything WT ...more to do no doubt but an outstanding job the last 9 months

Yeah then they go and allow the state cup side to be morphed back into the Magpies fmd I don’t care if that is a decision that has come from the magpie owners or not it’s a dumb backwards move. Are we one club or not?

macnaz

Staff member
Yeah then they go and allow the state cup side to be morphed back into the Magpies fmd I don’t care if that is a decision that has come from the magpie owners or not it’s a dumb backwards move. Are we one club or not?
Have to agree ,and id feel exactly the same if they called them Balmain .
The juniors from both sides of the merger should aspire to play for Weststigers ..fullstop.

Tigerm

First Grade
Have to agree ,and id feel exactly the same if they called them Balmain .
The juniors from both sides of the merger should aspire to play for Weststigers ..fullstop.
I think this will happen, as I understand that Wests are putting the team together. Many of the clubs use feeder clubs in there lower grades, I guess it is a money saver, though I live on the central coast and Easts have paid big $'s to use the Wyong club as there second team.

Front-Rower

First Grade
Front Rower
Agree completely on that point. ...i'd like to hear the logic

Wests Tigers’ Intrust Super Premiership side will be branded as the Western Suburbs Magpies in 2018 as part of its Macarthur region strategy.

The decision is designed to strengthen the club’s position and continue to cultivate a robust pathways system in the Macarthur region.

The Macarthur region boasts one of the richest pools of rugby league talent in the world. Wests Tigers prides itself on fostering young players from Junior League through to the NRL. This pathway progresses through Development Squads, Harold Matthews and SG Ball teams, Under 20s, Ron Massey Cup and Intrust Super Premiership.

The 2018 ISP coaching squad is also world class - and home grown. Life Member Brett Hodgson is returning to Australia as the 2018 NRL Assistant Coach, and Head Coach of the Intrust Super Premiership team.

“I am absolutely thrilled to come back home to where I started playing,” said Hodgson. “It’s a great opportunity to come back to a club that is clearly on the improve both on and off the field. I’m looking forward to developing as a coach and working under Ivan.”

The Western Suburbs Magpies will play several 2018 home games at Campbelltown Sports Stadium which will also include Wests Tigers NRL game days.

The Western Suburbs Magpies have been inherent to the Macarthur region since 1987 and Wests Tigers involvement in the region stems almost two decades.

Wests Tigers is dedicated to ensuring the region remains a rugby league stronghold, with the game of Rugby league being the chief beneficiary.

http://www.weststigers.com.au/news/2017/11/16/wests_tigers_strengt.html

Front-Rower

First Grade
Front Rower
Agree completely on that point. ...i'd like to hear the logic

The theory that they have provide doesn’t make sense at all IMO. People go to watch the Wests Tigers play first grade, not Balmain, not Western Suburbs. After 17 years it’s time for the old hat thinkers to move aside

Vozzy

Juniors
Even as an ex balmain supporter if the Wests tigers and balmIn tigers were both in the NRL I would still support the Wests tigers now because I have become to emotionally invested in them since 2000.

It seems like Wests magpies board members and supporters think the magpie is too small and that it looks all like balmain. For starters the majority of the jerseys are black and white alternate with hardly any orange on them. Secondly they are the tigers. At least there is a magpie. It's not like the jersey says balmain anywhere so I don't get the logic of Wests supporters thinking the jersey and name is dominated by balmain.

Tiger Ted

Bench
The theory that they have provide doesn’t make sense at all IMO. People go to watch the Wests Tigers play first grade, not Balmain, not Western Suburbs. After 17 years it’s time for the old hat thinkers to move aside
It’s so damn counter-intuitive to not have our state cup team play under the same wests tigers banner as our NRL team!

Typical of the self serving decision making dinosaurs affiliated with this intellectually challenged club !!

Someone ought to remind these imbeciles that it will soon b 2018 not 1963 & we r an established merged entity with an important part of our fan base moving forward being adolescents & kids playing in our junior systems whose hero’s r the prodigal son & the rugged Lebanon captain the 2 most prominent players in the history of the wests tigers !!

Ron's_Mate

Bench
That article doesn't give any good reason for calling the team the Magpies. They even manage to confuse the issue by alternately referring to Magpies and Wests Tigers. There should be one team name and identity across all grades.

Tigers1986

Juniors
It's the way the ISP is branded. Souths are Norths. Parra are Wenty. Canberra are Mounties and so forth.

Wests own 75% of the venture so really they can do whatever they want.

BrotherJim05

Bench
I swear that every time the whole Magpies Balmain drama is brought up we end up having a shit season

I'm actually all for us completely changing our mascot and our name. Call us the Concord Bombers for all I f**king care, I just don't want to hear the words Balmain or Magpies, unless we are talking about our clubs heritage IN THE PAST TENSE.

Tiger05

First Grade
I don't care if they are called the Magpies. We should just let it go and get on with supporting the team.