What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Random Tigers articles from the media

simmo05

Bench
I cant believe this tigers/maggies crap is still a thing, 17 years later! Over 6000 days have past! And everyone wonders why league struggles to expand outside of 2 states, with these backwards looking merkins running the show.

Das Hassler

Bench
I don't care if they are called the Magpies. We should just let it go and get on with supporting the team.

Your last sentence...exactly..and that's the point!....the team they need to support is Wests Tigers if they're genuine in wanting a secure and successful future.....as ive said before, club legends ( some moreso in their own mind) are mostly motivated by preserving the legacy of their own era... as THEY still see it...i'm an old Balmainiac but we had (up untill recently) about the best example you could get
To quote Mr Dylan....get out of the way if you can't lend a hand. ..the times they are a changing...put your wests and balmain up on the loungeroom wall and move FORWARD!

Last edited:

Shredder

Juniors
Most clubs Intrust teams have different identities - maybe not most, but a lot have.

Whats the difference?

Is the Intrust team even run by the WTs or do they have their own administration?

Regardless, Im not bothered and dont care too much. Honestly I think its a ploy to sell more jerseys.

Ron's_Mate

Bench
Most clubs Intrust teams have different identities - maybe not most, but a lot have.
That's because a lot of them were pre-existing teams, e.g. Jets, Norths, Mounties etc that an NRL club teams up with to be their lower grade. So it seems strangely backward looking to give this name to what is essentially a newly created entity. But yeah, keep the dinosaurs happy.

Ron's_Mate

Bench
The Ivan influence ...

Wests Tigers recruit Ben Matulino couldn't say no to Ivan Cleary a second time

Adrian Proszenko
Published:
November 18 2017 - 6:00PM

Ben Matulino, having once knocked back overtures to rejoin Ivan Cleary in Sydney, couldn't bring himself to do it again.

Matulino is one of Wests Tigers' big-name recruits for 2018, continuing an association with Cleary that began at the Warriors. The Kiwis prop first flirted with a move to Sydney in his teens, but his dream of one day becoming an All Black ultimately resulted in him turning down the Newcastle Knights. The harder decision was knocking back Cleary when his former Warriors mentor tried to bring him to the foot of the mountains.

"In 2014 Ivan was head coach at Penrith and I was probably a day away from signing with Penrith," Matulino revealed.

"I was close to signing with them, but ended up staying at the Warriors. Then Ivan came knocking again and I couldn't refuse the offer.

"He's the one that gave me my debut and brought me up to full-time training at the Warriors.

"I have a lot of respect for him and he's shown me a lot of faith."

The Tigers have been the most active team in the player market. Their new faces include Josh Reynolds, Russell Packer, Chris McQueen, Robbie Rochow, Corey Thompson, Mahe Fonua, Taane Milne and Benji Marshall.

In Matulino's case, the chance to play under Cleary again was a huge attraction.

"I just know how he works and goes about his business," Matulino said.

"I came to the Warriors at a time when a lot of players were leaving and new players were coming in. He did that with Penrith as well and at the Tigers and I wanted to come in on the back of that.

"Just his approach to coaching stood out for me. He's pretty simple in what he wants, he doesn't say much, but gets his message across really well. You don't want to upset him in any way, so you want to play for him.

"That's what I remember of Ivan when he was head coach at the Warriors and I'm really looking forward to that. He's already shown signs of it."

Another motivator was playing up front again with Packer. The front-rowers have known each other since they were teens and their bond was further strengthened during campaigns for the Warriors and Kiwis.

"Part of the decision to come over, I gave him a call and – if you've ever met Russell – you'd know he is straight up," Matulino said.

"He goes, 'all the Australian teams don't think you'll leave home'.

"I told him I was pretty serious about it this time. We got talking and he goes, 'If you end up signing with the Tigers, I might come with you, because I'm meeting Ivan a couple of days after you'.

"The next phone call, I told him I'd signed and he said 'sweet'. It made his decision easier.

"It will be good to link up. He's had a massive season for St George and he's playing some good footy for the Kiwis at the moment."

The addition of Matulino to the Tigers will help offset the loss of Aaron Woods to the Bulldogs. The move provides the 28-year-old, rated by some pundits as the game's top prop just a few years ago, a fresh start after an injury-interrupted season.

"That was the biggest down point in my career – I pride myself on being durable throughout the season," Matulino said of a season curtailed due to knee surgery.

"Having to sit out the first eight weeks of the competition was pretty tough and pushed my recovery a bit too much; I came back too early.

"The main reason I came over to Australia was for a fresh start.

"The timing was perfect when Ivan got the job at the Tigers – he approached me after that. It all worked in smoothly."

This story was found at: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...van-cleary-a-second-time-20171117-gzo1h0.html

Ok, so no longer a Tiger but an interesting article anyway.

The explosive World Cup form of Tongan behemoth Ben Murdoch-Masila has NRL clubs ringing his manager to enquire about the 26-year-old's availability.

The former Wests Tigers and Penrith Panthers forward had a stellar 2017 season for Salford Red Devils where he was named in the Super League Dream Team. He then inked a three-year deal with Warrington which locks him up through to 2020.

Murdoch-Masila's form off the bench for Tonga has turned heads and his manager Mario Tartak's phone has been running hot.

"Ben has been one of the best in the World Cup and there have been a lot of enquiries from NRL clubs about him, but he is currently signed with Warrington," Tartak said.

"He loves it over there [in Super League] and he has signed a really good deal."

However Tartak did not rule out Murdoch-Masila being enticed back to the NRL.

"If something astronomical comes up here, then we would think about it," he said.

Murdoch-Masila, who will line up against England in the World Cup semi-final in Auckland on Saturday, came through the Keebra Park High School rugby league program that has produced a cavalcade of NRL stars including Benji Marshall, Corey Norman and Jordan Kahu.

Head of the Keebra Park league program Greg Lenton described his former student as the best talent he has coached.

The tragic death of Murdoch-Masila's close friend Mosese Fotuaika in 2013 knocked him for six.

Fotuaika also came through the Keebra program and a concerned Lenton watched on as it took Murdoch-Masila several years to rediscover his love for rugby league.

"That was such a tremendous shame because Murdoch was potentially the best I have ever seen," Lenton said.

"But he has got his love of the game back now and has been devastating in that Tongan side.

"Everybody is wondering who he is and talking about him.

"The thing that blew me away from when I first saw him was his incredible explosive speed over five metres. He showed that with the try he set up against New Zealand when he burst through, put on a step and it was all over. He did something similar in the Samoan game.

"Tim Sheens always agreed with me that he could be one of the greats. He said to me 'there will come a day when the NRL will awake one morning and say ''who the hell is this''.'

"He is the best footballer I have had – the most exciting, most explosive thing I have seen."

Lenton was in New Zealand on a scouting trip when he first spotted a giant of a young man playing in the backline.

"It was like this eclipse of the sun," Lenton said, as he described Murdoch-Masila's back-story.

"He was this massive thing playing centre and I thought 'look at this bloke and how overweight he is'.

"At first he did very little but then, all of a sudden, the ball came to him and there was this explosion… and I decided to give him a go.

"When he first came to us he was 152 kilos and he told me he was a centre. I said 'we'll see', because he couldn't do a lap of the oval the first day he arrived.

"We battled with him for quite a while but then we'd find him down at training doing extras, which shows the quality of him.

"In the end he got down to 112 kilos and when he used to run past me at training the ground would rumble."

Lenton is just delighted that such a special talent is realising his potential.

"I have always said to Murdoch I'd love to see him back in the NRL with a good club to show people what he can really do," he said.

"Imagine what Craig Bellamy could do with him."

Surprised that Ben is only 26,
Interesting that Greg Lenton described Ben as the best talent he has coached.

gordsy

Juniors
Thank Goodness we flicked this clown.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/nrl/david-kidwell-insists-kiwis-future-promising-despite-world-cup-exit/news-story/14ee56357e40fe5489c6ca9fb8d3b832

New Zealand coach David Kidwell says there’s plenty of potential for the future despite his country’s early exit from the World Cup.

Kidwell’s own future is up in the air after the Kiwis’ campaign finished early in Wellington on Saturday when they were beaten 4-2 in the quarter-finals by Fiji.

An independent panel review of all the management roles will begin next week, with the aim of delivering a final report in January. Despite the disappointment of New Zealand’s early World Cup exit, Kidwell said there were still positives to take from the campaign.

He pointed to the development of young players such as Canberra second-rower Joe Tapine, 21-year-old hooker Danny Levi and Melbourne Storm forward Nelson Asofa-Solomona.

“We’ve unearthed some young talent there,” Kidwell said. “I’ve seen Joe Tapine, how much he’s grown; he’s a future leader.

“Young Danny Levi, there were question marks over him or Issac Luke, and I thought he was exceptional throughout the whole campaign. You’ve got young Nelson, he still learning, he’s only 21 and he’ll learn from this experience.”

After opening their World Cup campaign with comfortable wins over Scotland and Samoa, the Kiwis were beaten 28-22 by Tonga last week before falling to Fiji.

Still struggling to come to terms with the losses, Kidwell said he will take time out to think about whether he wants to continue as coach.

“I didn’t get any sleep last night, and really thought about what I want to do, what I want to achieve as a coach,” he said yesterday. “I have to really sit down and think. I know I’ve created something here at the start — it’s whether I want to continue, or people will let me continue.

“At the end of the day, I’ll do what’s best for the jersey.”

New Zealand Rugby League chief Alex Hayton said the losses were disappointing, and admitted they would damage the Kiwis’ brand.

“It’s not what anyone wanted but we’ll go through the process and understand where we can do better,” Hayton said.

“It will have an impact on the game. If you’re trying to get people to play rugby league and aspire to be Kiwis, then having a successful international team is an important part of that.

“You could say the brand has been damaged, but if they come back and they’re winning next year, then it re-establishes.

“We’re all passionate about our sports, and we all want our national teams to do well, and sometimes you’ve got to take the hits with the successes.”

BrotherJim05

Bench
Ok, so no longer a Tiger but an interesting article anyway.

Surprised that Ben is only 26,
Interesting that Greg Lenton described Ben as the best talent he has coached.

I was a huge fan of BMM (was my avatar for ages) but he really let himself down with his handling errors. I remember he would get at LEAST two knock ons a game, sometimes from within our own 20. If he has been able to rub that out of his game and get his fitness up then I would love to see him back in the NRL!

Ron's_Mate

Bench
Marshall eyes starting halves role at Tigers
Thu 16 Nov, 2017, 6:00pm
By Margie McDonald‌, Senior Reporter‌‌, ‌‌‌NRL.com

Wests Tigers recruit Benji Marshall is not returning to his old club to simply be an encyclopedia on how to orchestrate attacking plays.

He wants to push for a starting role in the halves and coach Ivan Cleary has given him the green light to do so.

The 268-NRL game veteran reports to the club’s Concord Oval base on Friday for a barrage of sports medicine and other high-performance tests before fulltime pre-season training starts next Friday.

He announced last August that while the Brisbane Broncos helped save his career in 2017, he had “unfinished business” at Wests Tigers, the club he helped deliver a premiership to in 2005.

Cleary is only too happy to accommodate that request.

“He will help drive what we want to do here. He wants to help the club improve on and off the field. I think it’s great he’s back here – it’s fantastic,” Cleary told NRL.com.

“He brings a tremendous amount of goodwill to the team. When I got here last year there was a sense of disconnect between some of the more high-profile guys at the club with the others.

“It didn’t sit well with me, and I’m not blaming anyone, but it’s nice to hear someone like Benji who loves the club and wants to come back.”

The benefits to Cleary as he puts his team together with other high-profile acquisitions like Josh Reynolds, Russell Packer and Ben Matulino, are immeasurable.

To the outsider, Marshall’s role will be similar to that at the Broncos last season – coming off the interchange bench as a back-up for the halves and possibly at fullback.

But Cleary is more than happy to sit back and watch Marshall battle with Reynolds and Luke Brooks for a spot in either the No.6 or No.7 jersey.

‘’In his own words, he’s looking to help those guys, but he wants to play there too,” Cleary said. “I don’t know how it all pans out in the end but he’s prepared to play that role.

“He thinks he’s still good enough to play, so if he’s the best option, then he’s the best option. But he’s also got to understand that we’ve invested a fair bit in our halves and we want to give them the best opportunity as well. So for me, it’s a really good situation to have.”

There’s no secret as to how Marshall can press his case.

“He’s just got to work hard in pre-season like everyone else,” the coach said.

Then he will have two trials against North Queensland Cowboys in Cairns and Cronulla Sharks at Campbelltown to force his way into the run-on side.

Like most Tigers fans, Cleary wants to see Brooks, who turns 23 in December, take more steps forward in his development. Marshall could be the key there. He left the joint-venture club the same year as Brooks made his debut in 2013.

“Luke is excited and so he should be. He had pictures of Benji up on his wall and now he gets this chance to work much more closely with him,” Cleary said.

“Josh (Reynolds) is equally excited as well. With Benji offering to help them as much as he can, and still wanting to be competitive with them in those positions, it’s a fairly unique situation, but a great one for us.

“Some guys are comfortable enough in their own skin and where they are at and Benji’s one of those. Guys like (Broncos half) Ben Hunt and (Anthony) Milford, Benji drove them hard and tried to improve them, while at the same time sitting on their tails which made them do their job.

“It’s a big couple of years for Luke I’m confident he can shoulder that responsibility.”

http://www.nrl.com/marshall-eyes-st...tigers/tabid/10874/newsid/115416/default.aspx

Ron's_Mate

Bench
"When I got here last year there was a sense of disconnect between some of the more high-profile guys at the club with the others. It didn’t sit well with me, and I’m not blaming anyone, but it’s nice to hear someone like Benji who loves the club and wants to come back.”

this is the quote from Ivan that stood out for me in that article. I'd assume he was particularly referring to Moses and Tedesco, which explains why he was prepared to pull their offers and let them leave.

BrotherJim05

Bench
"When I got here last year there was a sense of disconnect between some of the more high-profile guys at the club with the others. It didn’t sit well with me, and I’m not blaming anyone, but it’s nice to hear someone like Benji who loves the club and wants to come back.”

this is the quote from Ivan that stood out for me in that article. I'd assume he was particularly referring to Moses and Tedesco, which explains why he was prepared to pull their offers and let them leave.

I was literally about to quote that as well. This really gives insight into Ivan's attitude towards how important team culture is. Moses and Tedesco were quickly becoming the new boys club and I'm glad that it didn't happen that way.

Ron's_Mate

Bench
Marshall: "This is home to me"

Michael Chammas, Chief Reporter, NRL.com
Fri 24th November, 06:30PM

BENJI Marshall knows what people think of him.
“They think I’m cocky. They think I’m arrogant,” he told NRL.com on his first day of training back with the Wests Tigers on Thursday.
“They think I’m not good for culture of teams.”
It’s for this reason Marshall orchestrated his return on his own. This has been almost two years in the making. Two years since he picked up the phone and began plotting his homecoming.
Marshall knew it couldn’t be done through a manager - that would send the wrong message. It had to be about what he could do for the Tigers, not the other way around.
“People have a pre-conceived idea of what sort of person I am,” Marshall said.
“Because I play with confidence, people think I’m arrogant. Because I play so out there, people think that’s arrogance. The way I come across with the confidence, people mistake that. The common thing I hear going to new clubs is ‘oh, man I thought you were so different to what you are’. I hear it at every club I go to.
“People are genuinely surprised. That spins me out. The Tigers said this wouldn’t have happened if I didn’t reach out. They didn’t know me. I think they might have judged me before they met me. After meeting them, I think they were a bit shocked as to how I was coming across because of what they thought.”

Marshall called Cleary not long after he joined the club. The Tigers entertained the idea of bringing him across from the Broncos mid-season as a replacement for Mitchell Moses, but Wayne Bennett didn’t want to release him.
The Kiwi veteran didn’t give up. He organised to have a coffee with Cleary while the Broncos were in Sydney during the season.
It’s then he outlined how he could contribute to the change Cleary was implementing. That despite a perception he may have been toxic for team culture, he in fact could provide the very thing the coach wanted from his senior players.
Marshall spoke about leadership and culture. He spoke about the guidance he could provide the young halves and the advice he could pass down.
“Those are my biggest assets. I came up with a plan of where I would fit into the team in terms of those things,” Marshall said.
“But I also made it pretty clear that I don’t just want to be here just for that.”

It’s what the Tigers wanted to hear. They didn’t want a player whose main concern was about coming home to restore his own legacy and build a life after football.
Yes, the Tigers realised the off-field potential his signing would have on the organisation, but it was always about football.
Marshall was given no guarantees. That’s the way he wanted it.
But he did make a guarantee of his own, vowing to do everything he could to convince the coach he was worth a spot in his side. “I said ‘mate, at the end of the day you’re the coach and I just want to be part of the team,” he said.
“I don’t care where that is. If it’s in the 17 it is, and if it’s not, then I’ll force my way in there somewhere. Ivan was pretty clear in the first meeting. He told me that he’d promised Josh [Reynolds] and Brooksy [Luke Brooks] that they would be the halves to start the season. I have no problems with that. I also have no problems playing reserve grade. I did that in Brisbane and actually enjoyed it. If it happens here, it happens.

“There were probably times in my career when I was here before that I needed to do that and go down to reserve grade to find a bit of confidence. If Ivan feels like I need to be there and don’t deserve to be in the 17 then that’s fine. But I’m going to push him to pick me.”
Bennett did for Marshall what very few before managed to do. He was honest.
He told Marshall what he needed to hear, not what he wanted to hear.
Marshall knows there were times throughout his time at the Tigers when that wasn’t the case.
“For other people, I don’t think there was a lot of honesty back then,” Marshall said.
“I thought I was going better than what I was but no one here was telling me that I wasn’t. Wayne was great for me.
“He encouraged me to throw flick passes and chip and chase and play how I want to play. I think the few years before that some people wanted me to play a bit more structured, but that wasn’t really me.”

Marshall’s exit from the Tigers was one of the darkest days in the joint venture’s short history.
The poster boy that led the club to its only premiership in 2005 was out the door after falling out with club management.
“The thing I was frustrated with was that I agreed to a contract here for five years,” Marshall said.
“After that the CEO moved on and the new CEO didn’t want to honour that contract. That was probably the hardest thing to take for me. In saying that, I needed the change. I needed to grow up and get out of here. I feel like I’m in a good place now and happy to be back.
“When it comes to the club, I always still supported the club and it always held a place in my heart. I never ever actually hated the club. It was just some of how I was treated that frustrated me. But I think everything happens for a reason and I had to go through all those changes to find my feet again and find a bit of motivation.”

One of Marshall’s biggest regrets about how he left the club in 2013 was his decision to announce his signing with the Auckland Blues wearing their jersey while still having another month to play with the Tigers.
“I’d probably do a lot of things different,” he said.
“The whole kerfuffle of wearing the Auckland Blues jersey when I left was probably the biggest regret the way that played out. Looking back, I can see why people were so angry about it. I don’t regret going to union, though. It gave me a chance to get away from here. You can get comfortable somewhere and I think that happened the back end of my time here.
“But this is where I’m from. I walk in here and feel like I belong here. I don’t walk here and feel like I’m new. The other day they played a video of the club’s history, and I was in that video.
"This is home.”

http://www.weststigers.com.au/news/2017/11/24/marshall_this_is_hom.html

Ron's_Mate

Bench
This is part of having Benji at the Tigers. Signing Benji is extremely exciting but it comes with a monthly article about things in his life are going.

But in all fairness, I enjoyed the article
For me the interesting part of the interview was where he said that Ivan has promised Brooks & Reynolds first crack at the halves. Of course we could all assume that but it's helpful to hear it from an insider. So they have those roles but they also know there are other players putting pressure on them to perform. The other interesting bit was that initially the Tigers didn't want him back and he had to put in some effort to persuade them of his intentions.

simmo05

Bench
If it encourages more people to cough up their dough, im all for the Benchie monthly homecoming update

Das Hassler

Bench
I"m a big fan of his and believe for many reasons that he could be our best signing for '18... but enough already ...you can only tell the same stuff so many times.

Tigerm

First Grade
Still believe he will be our best signing in a long while.

Josh Reynolds takes aim at Dogs over handling of halves puzzle

NEW Wests Tigers playmaker Josh Reynolds has taken a swipe at his former NRL club Canterbury, suggesting they mishandled their halves puzzle. Reynolds is in familiar territory at the Tigers with fellow recruit Benji Marshall promising to put pressure on him and Luke Brooks for the starting No. 6 and No. 7 spots ahead of the 2018 NRL season.

At one point during his time at Belmore under then coach Des Hasler, Reynolds was vying with Moses Mbye and Trent Hodkinson for two positions.

The 28-year-old was at pains to point out he welcomed the pressure that comes with three players fighting it out for two spots.

However, he said the uncertainty over whether he was starting or not at times played with his head at the Bulldogs.

It was rumoured that Hasler was at times ultra-secretive to the point of not revealing to his halves where they stood in the pecking order and they spent the week at training not knowing whether they would run on.

Asked if the uncertainty about their positions created friction within the Bulldogs playing group and messed with their heads, Reynolds said: “I think there’s a way to do it.

“If they’re on the front foot and let you know early, you can get your head around it.

“It’s just the timing of it — you’ve got to be ready for a game and know when you’re going in and what you’re playing.”

He said pressure was a welcome force as long as the coach was transparent about it.

“If you’re going out there and doing your job but you could be better every week, then there’s someone underneath you playing good footy, it keeps you on your toes,” he said.

“Because who am I? I’m just another person. I can be taken over any day.”

Reynolds is expected to get first crack at the five-eighth jumper alongside Brooks while favourite son Marshall has been brought in by coach Ivan Cleary to add depth.

He admitted that towards the end of his tenure at the Dogs, he wasn’t feeling pushed by other players in the squad and it led to him resting on his laurels. “I’ve been in the situation before where there’s been three of us going for two positions,” he said.

“For myself, I thought it brought out some really good things for me. You’re always in competition, that’s just footy.

“I honestly think that at the back end of my career at the Dogs, because I was playing week-in and week-out, you start thinking ‘I’m going to be sweet’.”

Attachments

• upload_2017-11-28_16-43-56.png
    upload_2017-11-28_16-43-56.png
    549 bytes · Views: 1

Tigerm

First Grade
Chris Lawrence reveals the quality new recruits have brought back to the Wests Tigers

HAVING played for the Wests Tigers for the better part of 12 seasons, Chris Lawrence has witnessed first-hand the evolution of their club culture and been a crucial figure in their rollercoaster journey over the past decade.

He understands what it takes for an NRL club to have success after debuting for the Tigers the year after their famous 2005 grand final victory, but has now endured the painful suffering of missing finals every year since 2011.

The joint venture’s long stretch of failure isn’t down to any one reason but Lawrence has felt the burden of a veteran in a team light on experience and leadership.

It’s a problem that has largely been fixed by coach Ivan Cleary’s massive roster overhaul and Lawrence expects the senior players recruited to accelerate the club’s rebuilding phase.

“I think it’s going to be the senior players who are driving everything — it’s something we probably haven’t had in the last two or three years because we have had so many young players,” he said.

“With a lot of senior players like Josh Reynolds, Russell Packer and Ben Matulino (coming in) — guys like that with plenty of experience are going to really help drive everything (we’re trying to achieve).”

Cleary has put intense thought into his recruitment drive since his appointment as head-coach in April this year.

And while the marquee signings Reynolds, Matulino and Tui Lolohea will bolster their attacking prowess next season, it’s the signing of favourite son Benji Marshall and club legend Brett Hodgson to their coaching staff that will help re-establish the winning culture that was the envy of most NRL clubs in previous seasons.

Lawrence says the fresh faces have revitalised the atmosphere at a club where disappointment has weighed heavy.

“(There have been) massive changes to the feel about the place,” he said.

“It is a completely different team because you have so many people come into the squad and leaving so we obviously have a lot of different players and personalities so it really is a fresh feel.”

Lawrence cemented himself as one of the game’s best young talents throughout the early stages of his NRL career, but despite playing over 200 first-grade games and earning representative selection for NSW and Australia, his well-documented experiences with injury have caused havoc for the 29-year-old.

But it’s the resilience he learned in his darkest moments that has played a crucial role in his development as a professional, on and off the field.

“People ask me (what) if you didn’t have this or that injury — but I have no regrets and I wouldn’t change anything because it’s made me the person and player I am today,” he said.

“It’s shaped who I am and the way I act so I’ve definitely taken a lot of those things I learned through those tough times and that’s helped me to sort of have the career I’ve had.”

It’s the sort of character you would find in a club captain — a role Lawrence has put his hand up for knowing the race to succeed Aaron Woods as leader is wide open.

“I’d definitely love to be captain of the Tigers, I’ve been here my whole career,” he said.

“It would be such a special honour for myself but the success that will come next season is going to come from a senior group, and the leaders in the club are really driving everything we’re doing so I don’t think it’s going to come down to one person.

“At the end of the day, it’s about trying to make the team better — driving the culture we’re trying to build and that’s going to really drive our success.”