What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

rangers win title, bugger, bloody, #@#%!

mightybears

Bench
taken from the http://www5.sbs.com.au/home/index.php3?id=54349

Aussie helps Rangers to title
PA Sport

8937.jpg
Nacho Novo celebrates with the Scottish Premier League trophy

Rangers claimed the Scottish Premier League title in the most sensational fashion on Sunday.

The Light Blues defeated Hibernian 1-0 at Easter Road with a 59th-minute strike by Nacho Novo - his first goal since March 2.

And the Ibrox club were helped to their second title in three years as Motherwell stunned Celtic with a 2-1 triumph at Fir Park.

Chris Sutton had given the Hoops a 29th-minute lead but Motherwell's Australian striker Scott McDonald scored twice in the last two minutes to hand Rangers the title.

Celtic had appeared to be strolling to their fourth SPL title in five seasons under manager Martin O'Neill.

But, in the 88th minute, McDonald hooked the ball over his shoulder on the edge of the box to beat Rob Douglas.

The 21-year-old then raced clear down the right flank before cutting inside and firing past Douglas for the Motherwell winner.

It was a shock end for O'Neill who has been linked with a break from football this summer.

Hibernian confirmed their third place in the SPL despite the defeat after Aberdeen could not increase their goal difference sufficiently with the 2-0 win over Hearts at Pittodrie.

Richie Byrne and Derek Adams scored for Aberdeen but it was not enough to snatch European football off Hibernian.

Southernsaint

Staff member
McDonald grew up as a Celtic fan too...

We dropped too many points against sh*t opposition & it cost us in the end.

It's funny, for all of the Huns "we are the superior" team talk, it was Celtic who lost the title on the last day of the season - 3 minutes from the Premiership...

It'll be an interesting off-season...

Southernsaint

Staff member
I didn't even know there were any Huns on LU...

They certainly haven't made their presence felt until after the result.

Matt23

Staff member
I dont follow the SPL...but conceeding 2 late goals to a bunch of hacks is quite funny

hybrid_tiger

Coach
What are these Celtic fans crying for?

Pfft, they will probably win the coin toss known as the SPL next season....

What a joke of a league.

Raider Ultra

Bench
Admit it mate, you know I'm right. There's something wrong with a league where only two teams have won it for god knows how long.

Southernsaint

Staff member
Raider Ultra said:
Admit it mate, you know I'm right. There's something wrong with a league where only two teams have won it for god knows how long.

Exactly, England's three horse race is far more preferable...

mightybears

Bench
Raider Ultra said:

i think titles combined [i wont break it down any further!] for celtic and the ibrox mob is about 92, next best is hibs, hearts and aberdeen all on 4
so scotland is a 2 horse race, but as southernsaint has said england, with a popoulation of 9 times more is only slightly more open in recent decades

the dutch league has had the same 3 teams [ajax, psv and rotterdam mob] win the title every year for the last forty bar one [az in the late 1970's]

the portugese comp has seen 3 teams [porto,benefica and sporting] win every title bar one [boavista about 4 years back] since the late 1940's

both these league produce high quality players, and both have had recent national team sucess

only france [of the big countries] has not seen a handful of sides dominate their comp for decades on end

scotland may be a 2 horse race, and a golden age of genuine talent may be lacking but that does not make it uninteresting