What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ranking the Eels Coaches since 1981

hineyrulz

Post Whore
After watching Parra this season i'd have to put Hagan last, at least Hilditch coached sides had a dip. Also i don't think any Parra coach since i can remember has had such a talented side and do so poorly(not counting 2006 with Smith)

forward pass

Coach
After watching Parra this season i'd have to put Hagan last, at least Hilditch coached sides had a dip. Also i don't think any Parra coach since i can remember has had such a talented side and do so poorly(not counting 2006 with Smith)

hmmm ...Unfortunately I think yourself and many others are over estimating the talent in our side currently. Some talented backs sure, but a very ordinary pack - even with Hindy !

hineyrulz

Post Whore
But is this a side that should be running 13th???? Plus we have had a pretty good run with injuries.

forward pass

Coach
But is this a side that should be running 13th???? Plus we have had a pretty good run with injuries.

I agree - no way should we be 13th. But I just get sick of hearing everyone (incl. commentators) go on about how much talent we have. I don't think we have.

TheRam

Coach
1. Jack Gibson

2. Terry Fearnley (Easily Number2)

3. John Monie

4. Brian Smith

As for the rest not worth mentioning as coaches.

Last edited:

TheRam

Coach
Terry Fernely should easily slot in at number 2.

Terry was an understudy to Gibson at the Roosters and had the pedigree to be an excellent coach, his results at Parra were brilliant other than the 2 grand final losses and the 1 draw where he was considered unlucky not to get parramatta home. if it weren't for a terrible refereeing display and missed goal from the sideline than Fearnely would of had 2 premierships under his belt possibly even 3 if Hartley knew how to count.

Terry is also the guy who recruited and developed players to international status that have now become club legends, He was eager enough to offer Price a contract, slick enough to talk Peter Moore into releasing Cronin from his grasp and make him an eel and get the likes of John Peard and Arthur Beetson to the club when their own club weren't interested in them. you could also say that he developed players of the caliber of John Kolc, Neville Glover, Dennis Fitzgerald, Ray Higgs and Geoff Gerard to international status through his guidence.

he was one of the most respected coach's in the history of the game and players like Cronin, Price and Sterling have said that they may not have come to the club if it weren't for Fearnely being there from the start.

Sopt on Stag's.

After last nights game I would now put Hagan put dead last. I don't expect this team to win another game this year (saw nothing in last nights game to suggest otherwise) and at least Hilditch didn't destroy the club. Hagan is slowly but surely destroying this club ...

The crowd was abysmal. Supporters are now voting with their feet. Sure the opposition was the second worse team in the comp, but do any of you really think that anyone who went to last nights game will be lining up to go to the next home game. And yes I did say the Cowboys are the second worse team in the comp. I now believe this Eels team is the worse.

The game was boring as hell. Honestly, Hagan is completely hung up on having the best completion ration in history at the expense of playing rugby league. His game plans, although seemingly non-existent to the untrianed eye, consist of one up football for the first 5 tackles and then hoist a kick up on the last tackle and hope for the best. Sure we may not score many tries, but at least we can complete our sets.

Hagan is absolutely clueless. And the ONLY reason he hasn't been given the axe thus far is that Fitzgerald may be just as clueless as he.

Apart from Big Jack, Smithy was a gun. Yes he stayed too long, but some of those game plans he devised to beat the Broncs in Brisbane when the odds were against us were sheer genius.

Taylor rode the wave of sacked coach team starts winning syndrome. After that his coaching/recruitment record has been very average.

I still cant understand how a coach who was a game off the grand final in his last full year stayed to long. it just dosnt make sense if a team is performing then how has the coach stayed to long? had bennett stayed to long in 98 after 10 years. the stayed to long crap is the media through and through running agendas. we have gone from a well structured disiplined powerhouse club which was envied by all to the exact oppisite in two seasons. whats that i hear?? but we went well last year . i do recall certain people saying that it will take the club 2 years to be rid of brians influence well how true was that

HevyDevy

Coach
Felt sorry for Cronin. He only really had David Woods to work with and Woodsy was injured most of the time anyway.

Hilditch was very poor but Hagan is edging close to the bottom of the list this season.

MuleEel

Juniors
Hags in last for mine. I beleive Hilditch did O.K to gell a brand new team together on 97 and set things up OK for Smith. Hagan has really sent things backward and I cannot recall ever feeling Hagan had a game plan. Our 09 season seems pretty well set in stone as well.
Last nights effort in the press conference was enough for me. He came out talking about how boring the game was and then emphasising the time the ref spent geting try calls correct. That was not what made last nights game boring and of very low quality - nor what upset the crowd. Poor effort to criticise anothers performance last night.

Fathead

Bench
I honestly believe that Hages will go down as one of the worst coaches in the history of the game and the worst ever of the eels.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Hags in last for mine. I beleive Hilditch did O.K to gell a brand new team together on 97 and set things up OK for Smith. Hagan has really sent things backward and I cannot recall ever feeling Hagan had a game plan. Our 09 season seems pretty well set in stone as well.
Last nights effort in the press conference was enough for me. He came out talking about how boring the game was and then emphasising the time the ref spent geting try calls correct. That was not what made last nights game boring and of very low quality - nor what upset the crowd. Poor effort to criticise anothers performance last night.

Just to correct you, the big signings came at the end of 95 and Hilditch had them at his disposal for the 96 season and we still couldn't make the play offs.

As much as I love Hilditch and Cronin I didn't think they were much chop as coach's and honestly felt that the development of players such as Scott Mahon, Erickson, Mark Barnes, Brian Jackson and Glenn Liddiard really suffered because of it.

Latest posts