What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ranking the Eels Coaches since 1981

1. Jack Gibson 1981-1983
2. John Monie 1984-1989
3. Brian Smith 1997-2006
4. Jason Taylor 2006
5. Mick Cronin 1990-1993
6. Michael Hagan 2007- present
7. Ron Hilditch 1994-1996

Don't remember any coach before Jack Gibson

Some notes. I am kind of bias against Hagan and if this team continues to suck it up the rest of the year I will rate him dead last. I am probably overrating Taylor, but still think he did a great job in the short time he was here.

The Colonel

Immortal
The big difference for Taylor was that the bad influence that shrouded the start of 2006 season left.......

Gronk

Staff member
1. Jack Gibson 1981-1983
2. John Monie 1984-1989
3. Brian Smith 1997-2006
4. Jason Taylor 2006
5. Mick Cronin 1990-1993
6. Michael Hagan 2007- present

Don't remember any coach before Jack Gibson

Some notes. I am kind of bias against Hagan and if this team continues to suck it up the rest of the year I will rate him dead last. I am probably overrating Taylor, but still think he did a great job in the short time he was here.

Apart from Big Jack, Smithy was a gun. Yes he stayed too long, but some of those game plans he devised to beat the Broncs in Brisbane when the odds were against us were sheer genius.

Taylor rode the wave of sacked coach team starts winning syndrome. After that his coaching/recruitment record has been very average.

forward pass

Coach
John Monie inherited an amazing side which had just been coached by Jack Gibson for 3 years. I couldn't put him at 2 but he was certainly no dud either. Smith at 2 Monie at 3 for mine.

bartman

Immortal
1. Jack Gibson 1981-1983
2. John Monie 1984-1989
3. Brian Smith 1997-2006
4. Jason Taylor 2006
5. Michael Hagan 2007- present
6. Mick Cronin 1990-1993
That'd be my only change to EEM's opinion. Monie stays above Smith imo, because he didn't choose to leave the place early/mid-season/in tatters.

Benefit of the doubt with Hagan but he risks falling further down the longer he can't get this year's team performing...

From a club perspective, they'd want to see Hagan earn a ranking higher than JT, otherwise they will have been shown to make a dud decision. JT did wonders in 06, given the state the place was in the off and early season.

As for John Peard 1980 and Terry Fearnley late 70s... I think Fearnley would slot into my number 2, and Peard might slot in just under Taylor?

Le Tour de EEL

Juniors
As for John Peard 1980 and Terry Fearnley late 70s... I think Fearnley would slot into my number 2, and Peard might slot in just under Taylor?[/quote]

Agreed. Terry Fearnley was responsible for establishing the nucleus of the team that went on and excelled under Jack. Terry was responsible for bringing Price and Cronin to the club and he was unlucky not to have two premierships. He lost to Manly in '76 (scorded more tried but lost on scrum penalties) and drew then lost to Saints in '77.

Mr Opinionated

Juniors
John Monie inherited an amazing side which had just been coached by Jack Gibson for 3 years. I couldn't put him at 2 but he was certainly no dud either. Smith at 2 Monie at 3 for mine.

Did think about Smith ahead of Monie
But
Monie won a premiership while Smith did not
And isn't winning premierships the ultimate aim of the coach

Just noticed this post is under my old name (Mr Opinionated. Damn cookies!)

Last edited:

forward pass

Coach
Did think about Smith ahead of Monie
But
Monie won a premiership while Smith did not
And isn't winning premierships the ultimate aim of the coach

I guess so. However, Monie did lose the 84 GF with a crack side. Similar to Smith in 2001. And Monie did not have much success after leaving Parra - and even the last few years at Parra for that matter.

Le Tour de EEL

Juniors
It's difficult to judge Monie's success. Although he did inherit a great team, he still took them to the '84 grandfinal and just missed out. Come '86, he was able to invigorate the Eels for one last effort before retirements (Price and Cronin) took effect. Both '84 and '86 grandfinals were knife-edge affairs and could easily have gone the other way. In '86 I thought Monie was clever to use the move back to the new Parra stadium plus the pending retirements of Price and Cronin to squeeze one last bit of juice from the lemon.

The Colonel

Immortal
I guess so. However, Monie did lose the 84 GF with a crack side. Similar to Smith in 2001. And Monie did not have much success after leaving Parra - and even the last few years at Parra for that matter.

4 Challenge Cups with Wigan 1990-1993
6 Premierships with Wigan 1989 - 1993 and 1998
1 World Club Challenge

Amid countless other trophies.

I wouldn't mind having that little success.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Terry Fernely should easily slot in at number 2.

Terry was an understudy to Gibson at the Roosters and had the pedigree to be an excellent coach, his results at Parra were brilliant other than the 2 grand final losses and the 1 draw where he was considered unlucky not to get parramatta home. if it weren't for a terrible refereeing display and missed goal from the sideline than Fearnely would of had 2 premierships under his belt possibly even 3 if Hartley knew how to count.

Terry is also the guy who recruited and developed players to international status that have now become club legends, He was eager enough to offer Price a contract, slick enough to talk Peter Moore into releasing Cronin from his grasp and make him an eel and get the likes of John Peard and Arthur Beetson to the club when their own club weren't interested in them. you could also say that he developed players of the caliber of John Kolc, Neville Glover, Dennis Fitzgerald, Ray Higgs and Geoff Gerard to international status through his guidence.

he was one of the most respected coach's in the history of the game and players like Cronin, Price and Sterling have said that they may not have come to the club if it weren't for Fearnely being there from the start.

Last edited:

jono

Juniors
Agree with stagger
To quote a cliche , those who drink the water should not forget who dug the well , and T Fearnley was a veritable back-hoe.
Many similarities between B Smith and Fearnley both in style and results - and both clearly deserved to have at least ONE premiership notch on their belt.

Gibson
Smith
Monie
Cronin
Taylor (had sucess but again not long enough)
Hagan (has been here long enough to guage fully)
Hilditch (didn't have talent, but the team didn't seem to have game plans under him)

forward pass

Coach
4 Challenge Cups with Wigan 1990-1993
6 Premierships with Wigan 1989 - 1993 and 1998
1 World Club Challenge

Amid countless other trophies.

I wouldn't mind having that little success.

Coaching English side to premierships doesn't count!!!

Even Stuart Raper and Ian Millward have done that !

Latest posts