What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rape allegation

gaterooze

Bench
Ah well, it gave League a lot of publicity.

The real shame is that some girls may be put off reporting similar incidents in the future due to the media handling of this.

NO ONE CAN BLAME THE GIRL -- she did the right thing in reporting this, if she truly suspected she may have been raped. It does happen a lot, so I can understand why she may have thought that. And it's better to be wrong a hundred times than to one day have a real rapist walk free.

However, we CAN blame the media vultures who swooped on this before there was even a story! Idiots.

Did they even stop to think why a League player would *need* to drug a girl to get off? They're hardly desperate for willing partners.

skeepe

Immortal
*edit*

I find it absolutely amazing that when the Daily Telegraph was reporting sensationalistic facts about the case, which may or may not be true, everybody was saying to not believe everything they read and hold off for an official police statement, yet the minute the DT appears to have let the Tigers off the hook, again with no official police statement, some people are happy to believe everything they read.

I personally will wait until the POLICE, and only the POLICE, say something about what is going on.

Oh and a big well done to Steve Noyce. Glad to see just how in control of things he was when that idiot Weidler asked some of the stupidest questions I've heard in a long time. Glad to see the Footy Show panel taking the Telegraph to task for that ridiculous headline yesterday also.

ucantseeme

Juniors
NO ONE CAN BLAME THE GIRL

i dont know about that, if someone made up a rape allegation against me i'd want them sorted

even on the Footy Show last night they were asking Noyce about retribution

skeepe

Immortal
ucantseeme said:
i dont know about that, if someone made up a rape allegation against me i'd want them sorted

even on the Footy Show last night they were asking Noyce about retribution

I believe they were asking that in regards to retribution against the Daily Telegraph, for example, for headlines like "TIGERS GANG RAPE"

Kid

Juniors
_Johnsy said:
If this is an accurate qoute, herein lies the problem. What kind of F**KWIt would actually say, think, or believe this type of thing.
Maybe the player in question said this because he had engaged in sex with the woman. Therefore not denying that intercourse took place, merely saying it was "all systems go" (consensual) as opposed to raping her. Nobody knows for sure who he said that quote to. On the other side of the coin, at least he is being honest about the fact he had sex with her.

smeghead

Bench
I don't know why any player would talk to Wedler at all. He is a hack who spends more time in any given day on forums like this searching for the hot tip than any of us do. Kudos to Noyce for the way he is handling himself. Very upfront but mindful that an investigation must take it's course before he makes detailed statements.

On a side note that gimp Chief took it as another opportunity to have a pull about Newcastle. Even I laughed when Fatty changed the subject to the Knights ditching Tilse but signing Sargeant. Tard boy look confused and like he was going to cry for a while there

Nathan B

Juniors
skeepe said:
I believe they were asking that in regards to retribution against the Daily Telegraph, for example, for headlines like "TIGERS GANG RAPE"

If the Tigers get a dollar out of the telegraph for that headline, then watch out Bill Gates...Bulldogs Inc. is coming to get you!

Tiger Hawk

Bench
smeghead said:
On a side note that gimp Chief took it as another opportunity to have a pull about Newcastle. Even I laughed when Fatty changed the subject to the Knights ditching Tilse but signing Sargeant. Tard boy look confused and like he was going to cry for a while there
I don't watch the FS smeg, what did the chef say?

Brutus

Referee
gaterooze said:

The real shame is that some girls may be put off reporting similar incidents in the future due to the media handling of this.

NO ONE CAN BLAME THE GIRL -- she did the right thing in reporting this, if she truly suspected she may have been raped. It does happen a lot, so I can understand why she may have thought that. And it's better to be wrong a hundred times than to one day have a real rapist walk free.

However, we CAN blame the media vultures who swooped on this before there was even a story! Idiots.

They only seem to do it when it invloves rugby league players.

bartman

Immortal
gaterooze said:

Did they even stop to think why a League player would *need* to drug a girl to get off? They're hardly desperate for willing partners.

Agree. The girl obviously had a big night, can't remember, and needed to go and get checked. Results are in, now it's clear.

But people jump in too early and target the girl in these cases, and not the crappy media journalists that blow these things all out of proporition!!! What's their excuse in going to air with half truths while things are still even being initially established? What's their excuse in going to print with plainly false headlines? Do they call it "breaking a story"? What a laugh - "making a story" more like.

Interested whether the people whose first reaction is to turn blame on the girl concerned and call her a liar are avid consumers/purchasers of for example 2GB and the Telegraph, and take everything they hear or read as gospel? Don't worry about the girl, where's the outrage against the media blowing this out of all proportion, and your commitment to not give those media outlets another penny!

Brutus

Referee
The Daily Telegraph website appears to have dropped the story also after it dominated yesterday.

No mention of the fact there was no gang rape or date rape drugs as this f**ked up rag was alluding to yesterday.

Nathan B said:
If the Tigers get a dollar out of the telegraph for that headline, then watch out Bill Gates...Bulldogs Inc. is coming to get you!

Mate that headline is a @#$@#$ing disgrace. It is defamantion at it's best. How the hell they can print that kind of article is beyond me. They should not be allowed to get away with it.

Due process anyone? Innocence until proven guilty?

the Daily Telegraph is rag.

Yeah a S@#$t paper that should be held to account. Though given the bloody vested and conflicitng interests in the code this will never happen.

Why the hell an organisation that owns a code would report on it in the manner it does is ABSOUTELY BEYOND ME!!! :x

mattyg

Bench
The whole incident was well handled by the NRL and the Tigers. Pity we can't say the same about the Bulldogs incident 2 years ago. Looks like they learnt from their mistakes.

Nathan B

Juniors
International RL said:
Mate that headline is a @#$@#$ing disgrace. It is defamantion at it's best. How the hell they can print that kind of article is beyond me. They should not be allowed to get away with it.

Due process anyone? Innocence until proven guilty?

the Daily Telegraph is rag.

Totally agree with you, mate. I was just pointing out the difference in the crap the Bulldogs copped as opposed to what the Tigers have had so far. It's more the volume of crap, I guess. A one-off headline of 'tigers gang rape' is about as low as you can go. (Providing nothing like that has happened, of course.)

Again, let's hope this drama is resolved sooner than later.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I've spoken to a couple of newsagents who are getting sick of carrying the Tele, a number of which who have recorded a major dip in sales of that particular paper in recent months. It really is a trash rag.