What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rate the coach - week 1

Yes, I dislike Mary as our head coach.

But this is a genuine poll in line with last year's thread.

On tonight's game, I give him 4/10:

1. Poor team selection, namely the Aitken/Lafai fiasco. And Rein.
2. Exceptionally poor bench rotation.
3. No attack (yes, he bears a greater responsibility than Demetriou).

On the plus side, the boys were determined and never gave up. Credit to the coach.

Straight Shooter

Weipa Dragon

Juniors
I'm giving him 6. It's not him dropping balls and getting incorrect referee calls. In saying that, creagh needs more, ha villi needs more. The team will get there. They are far from bad.

j0nesy

Bench
6/10 - Didn't like the Lafai / Aitken selection. I think on tonight's performance I was right

SET2JT

Juniors
You have to give him an 8.
Team picked was what 90% of the fans wanted.
Team is very fit. We came home stronger than the Storm.
Attack was good can get beter with team chemistry. Scored 3 trys same as the Storm. Nice little play to to put Mann away.
Looks like the players want to play for him.

dino2170

Juniors
the coach needs to be sacked he is an idiot drop lafai hes hopeless get duges to fulback and mann to centre

WE NEED SPEED AND MORE SPEED

BennyV

Referee
Scarily, I agree with Objective View here. 4/10. Maybe 5.

We looked smooth in the first 15 minutes with some good angles and direct running. But after getting up 10-0 we reverted back to one-out forwards and no direction. That is not an attacking structure issue, that's fundamentals. From there, we got clunky and our defensive energy dropped.

Terrible use of the interchange bench. I know it will take some time to sort out the reduced interchanges, but leaving Creagh and Havilli off until late in the game was silly. Creagh in particular always lifts the team and should have some on after 30 minutes.

Shocked that he didn't send the message for Dugan to stay 2-in after the first try, but glad he got the message after the second. Aitken had Koribete matched.

Some basics really need to be sorted, mostly need to get the halves running direct.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Not many team will beat the Storm in Melb. Good effort ref calls were shocking especially the forward pass from Widdop? DeBelin play the ball and mystery knock on. Shocking. It took that to beat the Saints.

Mary to me gets a 7/10. First 15 was great. After that the boys could not get the ball back. Nighty unfortunately made that 1 error from the kickoff and it really turned the momentum of the game around.

Oh well they hung in and did well to only be down by 1 missed penalty goal in the end. From in front. How much did they lose again? Exactly.

SBD82

Coach
And this is what I can't stand about Mary.

Can't win a premiership while our head coach is learning on the job.

Straight Shooter

Any person who does not learn on the job shouldn't be in that job. This goes for every job in the world.

You think Bellamy or Bennett don't learn on the job?

BLM01

First Grade
Yes, I dislike Mary as our head coach.

But this is a genuine poll in line with last year's thread.

On tonight's game, I give him 4/10:

1. Poor team selection, namely the Aitken/Lafai fiasco. And Rein.
2. Exceptionally poor bench rotation.
3. No attack (yes, he bears a greater responsibility than Demetriou).

On the plus side, the boys were determined and never gave up. Credit to the coach.

Straight Shooter
Agree except for the Rein shot..but Rein's lack of vision did cost us in the last play but not his fault we lost.

SBD82

Coach
4/10

I thought the Dugan defending on the wing was a poor coaches call. It was rectified, but only after the damage was done. Interchange could have been better too.

to_ddeath

Coach
Mostly due to the compressed defence & above mentioned fullback defending on wing.
Plus poor kicking game strategy.. eg waayyy too much bomb & hope on the last.

T.

Any person who does not learn on the job shouldn't be in that job. This goes for every job in the world.

You think Bellamy or Bennett don't learn on the job?

If you can draw a simple learning curve (where learning is not uniform over the years), you might understand.

Otherwise, pull your head in.

Straight Shooter

Walpole

Juniors
Didn't give Havili and Creagh long enough.

Chopping and changing Aitken and Dugan was a mistake.

Still, a couple of calls our way and a few inches this side of the line on the last play and everyone (okay, not everyone) is happy with a win.

6/10