What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rate the Coaches

Pigskin

Juniors
Here's the deal

Rate the coaches in order. Justify your order with explanation if you wish, no doubt opening yourself up to more criticism.

You can include a coach who is currently out of work if you wish. Lets leave out those that are long gone. Feel free to include overseas coaches if you wish, but justification would be required here. Top 10, Top 20, all the NRL coaches, your call.

A good deal will be on "feel" ... cause i'll be honest, I don't really know in a lot of cases, I can only go on how they interview and media reports.

If their assistants rate a mention, by all means -

Here's my list, I'll go till i've had enough. Broncos supporter, declaring my bias.

1. Craig Bellamy - number one coach going around ... speaks sense, his sides are well drilled, and players seem to like him ... I don't like coaches that retire one minute and are a coach the next. He did his time learning his trade, and will now be one of the games top coaches for years to come. I think Dean Lance is worth mentioning here, cause surely he must take some of the credit for Melbourne's success.

2. Matthew Elliott - I know he cops a lot of flack around these parts, but the guy has had seriously nothing to work with for several years, and has achieved really good results. I find him good listening.

3. Wayne Bennett - slowly but surely is losing his touch imo, but the players love him ... doesn't make the tough decisions nowadays but having made the finals every year since 1992 speaks for itself ... jury is out on whether 5 premierships given the cattle at his disposal is a high achievement.

4. Tim Sheens - huge question marks on his time at the Cowboys ... did nothing for many years and never looked like doing anything ... before and after a great record. Always interesting.

5. Brian Smith - cops a lot of criticism and doesn't seem to be able to get a team over the line (bit like Graham Murray) ... very astute brain, I'm guessing an excellent motivator ... one of the few coaches i could listen to for hours.

6. Daniel Anderson - another dubious selection no doubt, and possibly has problems with his players ... I think he'll get a gig again one day soon.

7. Graham Murray - seems to be only able to take a club so far ... excellent at getting you from the cellar to a contender but can't close the deal. Boring to listen to .... like Gai Waterhouse, too positive for his own good.

8. Steve Folkes - doesn't say much, would suspect an excellent speaker if drunk.

9. John Lang - one of the nice guys of League. Not sure on how deep his coaching goes, but has the respect of all.

10. Michael Hagan - perhaps he landed in the right place at the right time being given that side to win the comp in his first year.

11. Stuart Raper - seems like an old hard head coach, goes ok but can't win a comp at the Sharks ... culture thing, not his fault.

12. Nathan Brown - on the improve I would think, most coaches wouldn't be able to keep their career going with his record, but somehow he has managed too.

13. Ricky Stuart - demands too much, is a perfectionist, whines a lot. Also given a good side very early in his coaching career. Currently has control of our national side ... i'd suspect, not for long ... but then again, its hard for the Kangaroos to lose often.

14. Des Hasler - I have nothing good to say ... seems a simpleton goose. Fitness director perhaps, coach ?

15. Ivan Cleary - Don't know yet. Steve Folkes type in manner

16. Shaun McRae - I don't follow the Super League, must have done something over there, cause sure hasn't done anything here as yet.

Oink !

Raider_69

Post Whore
i stopped reading when i saw M.Elliott at #2 :lol:
Puff, puff, pass pigskin!!

1. Bellamy
2. Sheens
3. Stuart
4. Bennett
5. Folkes
6. Murray
7. Taylor
8. Brown
9. Lang
10. Hassler
11. Cleary
12. McRre (spelling)
13. Raper
14. Hagan
15. Elliott

mattyg

Bench
1. Craig Bellamy
2. Steve Folkes (a bit of bias there)
3. Wayne Bennet
4. Tim Sheens
5. Matthew Elliot
6. Graham Murray
7. John Lang
after this point i dont think any other coaches deserve a mention but ill go anyway
8. Michael Hagan
9. Daniel Anderson
10. Ricky Stuart

Raider_69

Post Whore
Matt23 said:
15. Michael Hagan, that is all

3 horse race IMO, elliott, hagan and Raper all challanging for the crown
the coaches team who finishes lowest will have a strong claim to take the prize

Pigskin

Juniors
Raider_69 said:
i stopped reading when i saw M.Elliott at #2 :lol:
Puff, puff, pass pigskin!!

yeah, but you are one of the many Raiders fans around here that are deluded into thinking your side actually has some talent

he has achieved wonders down there

you could have had a couple of spoons in recent years if it wasn't for him

just my opinion tho

Oink !

Raider_69

Post Whore
:lol: deluded... me? yet you've got matt elliott ranked 2nd best coach in the league world? :lol: :lol:

i need you to hook me up with your sh*t, must be good!

Matt23

Staff member
Raider_69 said:
3 horse race IMO, elliott, hagan and Raper all challanging for the crown
the coaches team who finishes lowest will have a strong claim to take the prize
I stand corrected, my bad :oops:

Nathan B

Juniors
What Steve Folkes has achieved in getting his team through ALL the dramas of the last few years is truly remarkable. It's only been four years since the cap crisis, two years since the Coffs drama, and he has his side as current premiership favourites. What he did in '04 alone is enough to get him in the top 5. Look at the performance of Graham Murray lately to see how a coach performs under pressure. And I reckon he's had to put up with less than 1% of the crap Folkes has dealt with. Look at some of the recent ridiculous rooster press releases to see how a club acts under the tiniest amount of pressure. How you rated him behind Brian 'I couldn't win a premiership if it was first prize in a raffle and I had all the tickets' Smith is beyond me.

Anyway...I'd have Bellamy number one and Folkes number two. And not much between them.

JoeD

First Grade
I think for a first year coach with f**k all to work with and a salary cap drama to deal with Cleary has been excellent.

Eddie.

Bench
I don't know about rating them 1-15. It's just all guess work.

Im more inclined to rate Sheens and Lang ahead of coaches who have had sustained success at one club. I mean Sheens has had realtive success at 3 clubs, including 2 battling clubs. Lang relative success at 2 clubs including a premiership at a battling club.

However who is to say Bennett or Folkes could not do the same? Folkes deserves a huge amount of respect for ploughing through all the rubbish at Canterbury and continuing to produce results. If he was ever available i imagine he would be very keenly chased.

Craig Bellamy is doing a fantastic job. However if his side were to get another touch up in Week 2 of the finals what would that mean? I mean Brian Smith, arguable a great coach is ridiculed for not winning a premiership. I think it is harsh however most see it as the bottom line. Obviously Bellamy has a long career ahead of him and i am sure he will win one either at Melbourne or Brisbane.

JT and Ivan Clearly seem like level headed young coaches.

Raoul Duke

Juniors
1. Bennett
2. Bellamy
3. Folkes
4. The dude who coached the Australian soceroos is better than the rest combined

skeepe

Immortal
Pigskin said:
yeah, but you are one of the many Raiders fans around here that are deluded into thinking your side actually has some talent

he has achieved wonders down there

you could have had a couple of spoons in recent years if it wasn't for him

just my opinion tho

Oink !

The side has plenty of talent. It is not our fault that the rest of the league world is blind to this.

I actually believe Elliott has underachieved given the talent at his disposal.

Raider_69

Post Whore
skeepe said:
I actually believe Elliott has underachieved given the talent at his disposal.

infinitely agree
given some of the talent we've had in the elliott era, we should have more then one decent season and no semi final wins to show for it... massive underachievement

Leagueguy

Juniors
How can Bellamy be number 1? He hasn't won a premiership and his team has under performed the last couple of years. Don't forget last year he also had Orford, Bell and Kearns in the team. Melbourne have crashed out as badly St George the last few years. The jury is out on him being the best coach in the game.

Raider_69

Post Whore
he is fighting a sh*t house battle to get anything doing at melbourne, they lost a couple of top players, but bellamy seems to get the best out of all his players consistantly, look at their team this year

alot of neville no names in there, that he's got to an above NRL standard, tactically he is execellent aswell