What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rate your team

For season 2010. Now be honest....

CANBERRA RAIDERS

BACKS- 7.5/10. The average age of our backline is in the low 20s. IMO players like Dugan, Croker and Vidot have massive futures in the game. Dugan and Croker consistantly outperformed Monaghan this year who represented Australia in the previous year. We have lost Phil Graham who played well but Justin Carney will be back from injury next year to take his place. Dugan represent the PMs 18 this year and will be pushing very hard for a place in the country origin team next year.

HALVES- 6/10. This is our downfall. We need a dominate halfback to control this team and let Campese play out wider where he can run in holes. McCrone goes ok but he is certainly not as talented as most halfbacks in the competition imo. I didnt think Campo played as bad as many thought this year and im sure he will be better next year.

FOWARDS- 8/10. Not once did i see them get dominated in 09. In fact i seen them dominate a team and still lose the game by 20 odd points. TLL will proably push to the front row full time next season and partner Australian representitive Shillington. Bronson Harrison was great this year and rookie Joel Thompson is full of potential and is already one of my favourite players. Logan, Miller and Thurling are all solid players as well. Hopefully we see tongue back at lock this year where he belongs.

VERDICT- If we are to make the top 8 Herbert and Campo need to be more dominant.

ostrich20

Juniors
Manly Warringah Sea Eagles

BACKS - 8.5/10 - On their day, we have the best backline in the comp, however can have some defensive lapses down Matai's side. Williams can also be a bit suspect at times under the high ball. Attack wise I think we have a great setup and speed to boot. We also have the likes of Farrar providing for depth.

HALVES/HOOKER - 6/10 - Incosistent is the one word you can use. Ballin constantly turns up and does his share, but Orford has put in some good and bad performances in 09 (mostly bad), expect the same in 10. We do have some good talent in the reserves such as Hodgkinson and Cherry Evans, but Orford will get the go before they do. Bailey at number 6 was a big fail, but it led to Keiron Foran getting the go, and he has looked great ever since making his debut. With a renewed focus, and complete full off-season, halves combinations should be more cohesive I hope.

FORWARDS - 9/10 - Great combination of speed and size with a great bench to boot. Kite had a bad 09 season, he should be primed for a big 10 season to get his rep jerseys back. Add in Perry, Rose, King and we have four quality props, prop depth may be exposed with injury but. In the back row, Watmough!!!!!! and thats all that needs to be said.

Verdict - Top 4 - We have the squad to be a top 4, even a top 2 team. It is just how well the halves combination works, and whether Orford can find a purple patch of form.

mxlegend99

Referee
Penrith Panthers

BACKS - 6.5/10 - Michael Jennings and Michael Gordon are both just sensational talents... Gordon being the best goalkicker in 2009 and Michael Jennings being one of the most dangerous attacking players. We have a wealth of "solid" players to fill out the backline but none of those other players are match winners or superstars.

HALVES - 5/10 - Graham and Walsh both have plenty of potential, but neither are really experienced enough to show up each week and lead the team around. Hopefully with a bit more experience and an off-season together they will improve and be a bit more consistant. I'm not holding my breath though. Matt Elliott will no doubt start off 2010 with another halves combination

FORWARDS - 8/10 - Could have probably scored an 8.5 or 9 if the likes of Pritchard and Laurie were a bit more consistant... but even with them being unreliable we still have an incredibly strong forward pack being led by the likes of Petero Civoniceva, Luke Lewis and Trent Waterhouse. We would have also scored a bit higher if Matt Elliott wasn't certain to weaken our pack by making sure Nathan Smith has a spot in it... would have Waterhouse, Pritchard, Lewis, Cooper, Plum and Blair ahead of him for a backrow spot.

VERDICT:
If we had a decent coach I think we would be a top 8 side with a chance at pushing for a top 4 spot. As it is right now, we will be lucky if we can finish any higher then 10th position.

ByRd

First Grade
Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs (love saying that again lol)

BACKS: 8.5/10 - We have a dangerous backline and that left side attack is probably the best in the league. We need Idris to improve his game (especially his defence) but he will get better ad prove the doubters wrong and with more speed along side him Turner/JTK, we look stronger in the backs next year.

HALVES/HOOKER: 8/10 - We can have very mixed fortunes in our halves. Sometimes they are world beaters but sometimes you wanna pull your hair out. Ennis is dangerous out of dummy half and brings that aggression to a team and Noddy has the experience, Roberts had his best year in 09 so hopefully he keeps improving.

FORWARDS: 7.5/10 - We have a solid pack and they are all hard workers. We have a good prop rotation and our backrow is top notch when it comes to defence, we are lacking a little in the creativity department (especially with Eastwood gone) so Gordon and Halatau are going to have to step up next season.

Verdict: Top 4 and hopefully go to the GF next year and being so close this year.

mickdo

Coach
Eels

BACKS - 9/10 - With Tahu returning to the centres, it will be a tough decision on who to leave out of the backline next year. Big and fast is probably the best way to describe them. There is talk of Grothe going to Rugby for next season, and if he does it will be a big loss.

HALVES/HOOKER - 7/10 - Got us to the GF, but we have a very inexperienced halves pairing and hookers, and Kingston seems headed to Penrith for 2010. Easily our weakest link, but with our offload style of play they are less important to us than most teams. Kris Keating will be back from injury, so will he slot back in or will Robson stay at 7? Big props on a young hooker coming through as well who will hopefully get into first grade this year.

FORWARDS - 9/10 - Poore and Shackleton coming on board will make our pack very strong. Mannah has emerged as a very good bench prop, and can only get better. Depth is probably the only concern with several forwards such as Gulavao, Lowrie & Wright leaving. Mateo had an injury interrupted 09, and as our best attacking forward he will be crucial to next years chances.

Verdict - Should be top 4, but as we showed this year, as long as we make the 8 we're a decent shot at the whole shebang with the style that we use.

Last edited:

lockyno1

Post Whore
Brisbane-

BACKS- 9/10- World class backs in a few positions, is our big strength.

HALVES/HOOKER- 8/10 Reality is Lockyer is on the decline. If Tim Smith comes you never know this might improve.

FORWARDS- 3/10 Hopeless half the time. I said it when it happened but if Tonie Carroll has to come out of retirement you are screed. Poor recruitment paying just as much for Clinton as it would have cost to keep Dave Taylor.

Verdict- Top 6

nomarg

Wests Tigers.

Backs-
9/10. Def the tigers stregnth .Tui is killing, Lawrece is class, and with Ayshford have one of the best defensive centre pairings in the comp. The addition of Daneilla, Arana,Brown add comp for places. With Lote and Tame possibly coming on board and ryan the Tigers have real depth out wide

Halves/Hookers- 8.5/10 Robbie is consitently one of the best hookers in the comp. (best IMO) Benji has had a full season and was killing it towards the end of the year, he will be bigger and better next year with another offseason behind him ( a rare thing for Benji). But we have no recognised 7 in the first grade squad...could be our undoing....Maybe Arana can stay off the drink....

Forwards 7/10.... Ellis and galloway had massive seasons , The rest need to lift their game. ...add to that the fact we have no depth and things turn bad for WT real quickly...infact 7 is to maybe to high.....

verdict- We need Cayless and Lima or atleast two more front rowers. The players comming in will make our season. Expect career best years for Benji and Robbie playing to keep Sheens in a contract.

The one thing the tigers have NEVER had is consistent football...even in 05 the first half of the year was poor...if the Tigers can repeat their best performances all year then they are certainties for the top 4...but that will be a big ask...

Will finish 6th IMO

nomarg

Brisbane-

BACKS- 9/10- World class backs in a few positions, is our big strength.

HALVES/HOOKER- 8/10 Reality is Lockyer is on the decline. If Tim Smith comes you never know this might improve.

FORWARDS- 3/10 Hopeless half the time. I said it when it happened but if Tonie Carroll has to come out of retirement you are screed. Poor recruitment paying just as much for Clinton as it would have cost to keep Dave Taylor.

Verdict- Top 6

little harsh on the forwards - Taylor v Clinton is a good point, but your pack did hammer St.George........

Roosters

BACKS - 6/10 - They have to prove themselves, and really. Other than Perrett, they all need the common dose of redemption. It's make or break and Smithy will break those who don't make.
HALVES/HOOKER - 7/10 - Anasta and Pearce were two of the only players who gave a crap this year, and with Carney joining them it's easy to be excited. Hooker is still a major issue though, Friend is our best.
FORWARDS - 5/10 - What do I say...they lost the venom they had in 2008. They can strike again though, it's easy, they just gotta move forward for crying out loud.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Mickdo beat me, but I dont care, ill do em again.

2009 Grand Finalists, the Parramatta Eels

BACKS - 9/10 - Best in the League for sure. 4 International reps. Easily the most potent attacking backline in the comp, given space, will tear teams to shreds. Grothes defence is still an issue.

HALVES - 6/10 - The key to Parra next year. We will have a young and inexperienced halves pairing next year. We have plent of options for it, Mortimer, Robson, K.Keating and Mateo, but there is no established 1st grade half there. Well, not established yet.

FORWARDS - 9/10 - Hard working. All our forwards are hard working, Hindy, Cayless, B.Smith are toilers. Fui Fui and Mateo are the explosive aspect of our forwards. With the added depth of Poore and Shackleton, we should have one of the best forward rotations next year and shouldnt leave any team time to have a breather.

VERDICT - Parras 2 biggest problems for the last few years has been consistancy and attitude. If they carry their 09 attitude to 2010, they will be a top 4 teams (baring injuries).

Anything but a top 4 finish would be a failure. (unless of course they win the comp)

Backs: 7/10. Tuiaki is probably the most damaging winger in the game, and if he continues his 2009 form will be in with a show for top try scorer. Lawrence has plenty of pace, along with strong defence and can put his winger away very well. Ayshford has a long way to go, but is showing promise. Beau Ryan is solid. Tim Moltzen is a gun, but is still not quite there at fullback yet, but he is getting there. Brown, Daniella, Tupou etc will provide good depth. If Lote signs I'd bump it up to an 8/10.

Hooker/Halves: 9/10-If Taumata can keep his head screwed on (that's a very big if), him and Marshall could be the best halves combo in the comp. Marshall can do things on the field that nobody else will even try when he's on song, and after a huge 2009, I can feel an even bigger year coming on. Taumata has all the skills to make a great half, but as I said he has his issues, which he is trying to get sorted from the reports I've heard. Then there is Farah, who will, week in week out, be one of our best players, since he became a regular 5 seasons ago, he has consistently been one of the top 5 hookers in the game.

Forwards: 7/10-It has been our big weakness in the past, but 2009 was a great year for our forwards. Ellis was an absolute god send, and has given our pack a bit of power and professionalism. His work has really rubbed off on our other forwards with the likes of Gibbs and Galloway finding career best form in 2009. Todd Payten will try his guts out every week, and how he has gotten rid of the stupid plays from his game, he's looking a better player. With the addition of Flanagan, Fulton and Moors, a bit of depth will be provided, along with some good up and comers coming through such as Fifita, Al Shirnak, Mataka, Dwyer and Woods. If Cayless and/or Lima come the ranking will obviously bump up to an 7.5-8.5 (depending on who comes).

nomarg

Roosters

BACKS - 6/10 - They have to prove themselves, and really. Other than Perrett, they all need the common dose of redemption. It's make or break and Smithy will break those who don't make.
HALVES/HOOKER - 7/10 - Anasta and Pearce were two of the only players who gave a crap this year, and with Carney joining them it's easy to be excited. Hooker is still a major issue though, Friend is our best.
FORWARDS - 5/10 - What do I say...they lost the venom they had in 2008. They can strike again though, it's easy, they just gotta move forward for crying out loud.

I thought simth would turn Willie around and get him back to SOO levels....maybe there was some truth in the game being fixed??

mozza91

Coach
Backs 7.5-Alot of untapped potential, Aku could be anything if he gets his defence right, guys like Vuna and Sau are very damaging and should both be better next year particularly Sau he'll be fully recovered from his sternum injury, McManus is quality as is MacDougall when he plays and Gidley is a great team man maybe not a great rep player but a great clubman.

Halves/Hooker 7-DeGois is brilliant and buy of the season imo,Mullen is inconsistent can outplay any half in the comp and be outplayed by any half in the comp,Rogers and Dureau are average but hopefully one of them will come good.

Forwards 9-Alot of good players in the squad, Cross is a very good player just needs to get fit same with Tolar, Faas had a great year and Wicks improved too, Tui should be a good buy, Taia and Hilder were fantastic this year and Simmo was solid as always, the only concern is Paterson he has the ability to be a superstar but struggled(understandably so) after his lay off with depression, if he comes good he will be a key to the Knights success in 2010

We could finish anywhere from 4th to 16th next year depending on two factors injury(as with every team) and attitude, the guys need to play 80 minutes they can outplay anyone on their day but need to do it consistently, I'll be optimistic next year as always and as long as they have a dig I'll be happy.

NK Arsenal

Juniors
Knights

Backs - 7. So much talent and depth with Mad Dog, Vuna, Uate, McManus, Sau and McDonnell challenging each other for positions 2-5. Captain courgaous playing fullback of course :D

Halves/Hooker - 7.5. Mullen is a great talent, but he must be playing five-eighth, not halfback. I don't know if Dureau is the right man to be playing along side him though. De Gois will get a lot better in '10 (yes that is possible :crazy:), and will push for an Origin jumper.

Forwards - 8.5. One of the top 5 forward packs in the comp.

Overall - 7.5. I think it's our best side in a long, long time and I'll be disappointed if we don't make at least the top 6. I don't reckon we will win it cause we are too inexperienced but will at least challenge everyone

ByRd

First Grade
Backs: 7/10. Tuiaki is probably the most damaging winger in the game, and if he continues his 2009 form will be in with a show for top try scorer. Lawrence has plenty of pace, along with strong defence and can put his winger away very well. Ayshford has a long way to go, but is showing promise. Beau Ryan is solid. Tim Moltzen is a gun, but is still not quite there at fullback yet, but he is getting there. Brown, Daniella, Tupou etc will provide good depth. If Lote signs I'd bump it up to an 8/10.

Hooker/Halves: 9/10-If Taumata can keep his head screwed on (that's a very big if), him and Marshall could be the best halves combo in the comp. Marshall can do things on the field that nobody else will even try when he's on song, and after a huge 2009, I can feel an even bigger year coming on. Taumata has all the skills to make a great half, but as I said he has his issues, which he is trying to get sorted from the reports I've heard. Then there is Farah, who will, week in week out, be one of our best players, since he became a regular 5 seasons ago, he has consistently been one of the top 5 hookers in the game.

Forwards: 7/10-It has been our big weakness in the past, but 2009 was a great year for our forwards. Ellis was an absolute god send, and has given our pack a bit of power and professionalism. His work has really rubbed off on our other forwards with the likes of Gibbs and Galloway finding career best form in 2009. Todd Payten will try his guts out every week, and how he has gotten rid of the stupid plays from his game, he's looking a better player. With the addition of Flanagan, Fulton and Moors, a bit of depth will be provided, along with some good up and comers coming through such as Fifita, Al Shirnak, Mataka, Dwyer and Woods. If Cayless and/or Lima come the ranking will obviously bump up to an 7.5-8.5 (depending on who comes).
I dont agree that Arana and Benji could be the best halves pairing, Benji is good but Arana is not the no.7 he needs, he cant organise a team and direct them around the field, they are very similar players, Benji needs a no nonsense no.7

footy1

Juniors
SYDNEY ROOSTERS

BACKS - 7/10

The backs are good without being outstanding. Phil Graham has added a bit of pace to our backline and Anthony Minichiello can keep injury-free, I think we will be in with a big chance at making the 8. Shaun Kenny-Dowall needs to pick up his game and I think with Brian Smith as coach, Kenny-Dowall should hopefully perform more consistent. Sam Perrett is always good as usual. If Setaimata Sa returns, play him in the centres and shift Mitch Aubusson into lock.

HALVES - 8.5/10

Our halves will be very good IMO. Whether Todd Carney or Braith Anasta is partnering Pearce, both will be more than an adequate halves partner. I think all 3 will shine next year and fingers crossed, at least one to get picked in the NSW Origin side.

FOWARDS - 7/10

The forwards look a bit light up front so I gave them a rating of 7. But if Jason Ryles turns out to be another signing, I'd bump the rating up to 8. If Willie Mason can play his best footy next year, and can be backed up by the likes of Nate Myles, Lopini Paea and Jake Friend, we will do well next year. Also we've got a lot of relatively young players in Anthony Cherrington, Jared Wearea-Hargreaves, Tom Symonds, Martin Kennedy, Stanley Waqa and Daniel Conn so there's good depth in the pack.

UPCOMING TALENT - 9/10

I just put this one in. The talent coming through at the moment is first class IMO. We've got the likes of Boyd Cordner, Ryan Williamson, Fine Moeakiola, JP Du Plessis, Luke Towers, Cheyse Blair, Jacob Miller, Joseph Leilua etc. playing in the juniors at the moment but a few of these kids IMO will feature next year in the top grade.

VERDICT - Potentially, the team can make a play for the top 4 and that is provided that we're lucky with injuries and that everybody is playing as a team with structure like 2008. But realistically, we'll either sneak into the 8 or we'll miss it by a few places. Prediction: 8th

Last edited:

nomarg

I dont agree that Arana and Benji could be the best halves pairing, Benji is good but Arana is not the no.7 he needs, he cant organise a team and direct them around the field, they are very similar players, Benji needs a no nonsense no.7

We just need another kicking option..... IMO..

Organising would be great, but another playmaker will work also.

dogz08

First Grade
Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs

BACKS: 9/10 - Really excitied about our backline in 2010, but i hope Idris can work on his defence

HALVES/HOOKER: 8/10 - Kimmorley and Roberts are fine... although Ennis frustrates me with his kicks that go over the dead ball line lol

FORWARDS: 6.5/10 - Hannant, Stagg etc are fine, but i haven't been too impressed with Ryan & Warburton this year

Verdict: 3rd

Melbourne Storm:

BACKS: 8.5/10 - Storm have signed Chase Stanley and will welcome back Anthony Quinn to replace Will Chambers and Steve Turner. It will be dependant on how well Stanley can gel with the likes of Quinn as to how successful they will be.

Look for the likes of Justin O'Neill who is tall and built similar to Chambers and also Gareth Whiddop to make debuts from the U20's. Whiddop is a fullback and kicker but could also play centre. Both are awesome talent.

HALVES: 8/10 - Cronk will be consistent as ever but it depends on whether Finch is as hungry for success next year having won the comp this year. Storm does not have depth in this possie but they do have the likes of Luke Kelly from the U20's who could come in and perform well.

FORWARDS: 9/10 - This will be Storm's strength next year. The depth is impressive. Cam Smith, Adam Blair, Brett White, Dallas Johnson will all be ready to support the likes of Kevin Proctor, Sika Manu and Ryan Tandy who will continue their development.

Todd Lowrie (yet to be confirmed), Atela Vea, John Kite from the Dogs and Jessie Bromwich, a big prop who hits hard will add extra strength to cover injuries.

VERDICT: Top 4 - who says that Bellamy won't be after more success. They finished with minimal injuries this year and this will be the key particularly in the halves. Injuries to key players could impact Storm a lot.

Having said that, I think they can still win it again.

Backs: 9/10, definitely a strength, at the moment we'll likely be lining up with Ryan, Ayshford, Lawrence and Tuiaki and either Tuquri or Mullaney at Fullback. Lawrence and Tuiaki is one of the most devastating wing/centre combos, secondly to only Hodges/Folau in my opinion. Whenever we shift it wide we'll be likely to cause a break and always result in a scoring opportunity.

Halves/Hooker: 6.5/10 or 9/10, This could be another strength, I'm listing it as 6/10 if either Taumata or Lui is our halfback alongside Benji, this will not work at all. We'll definitely go nowhere if we have 2 instictual halves playing together. Instead if we play Tim Moltzen, we'll easily put this down as one of our strengths. Whilst Moltzen is not an organizer in the truest sense, he provides more structure than either Lui or Arana, whilst also providing great ball playing and possesing the skills of also a good ball runner. 6. Marshall 7. Moltzen is definitely the way of the future for us. Add to that the second best hooker in the game, Farah, to do most of our structual work, provide a solid foundation from dummy half and once again dominate the rest of his rake class bar Cameron Smith.

Forwards: 7/10, Our forwards have long been a weakness and still are. Thankfully we have good juniors (not Moors) coming through the ranks to help aid our depth. At this stage, the starting pack looks decent with Ellis, Heighno and Galloway there to provide grunt and some much missed go forward in seasons gone by however our depth is a killer. When these 3 along with others were injured, we lost 6 games in a row which ultimately cost us a top 8 and even a top 4 birth. If we address this issue with some signings in the offseason, we may finally have a decent pack. If not, hope the injuries don't strike then.

Verdict: If for one season injuries do not strike and kill our season, and Tim Sheens brain explosions are limited, I see this team going well into the 8 and a good chance for the 4. If injuries strike, Sheens is back to his ways, expect us the finish 9th and only 9th.

Last edited:

Latest posts