What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rate your team

AB129*

Juniors
i reckon about 7/10 is fair for pearce/anasta/carney.

its the roosters forwards that are sh*thouse- lots of mediocre/glamour boy options in the backrow doesn't mean you'll have a quality pack. just no tough, hard workers (ie real footy players) in there who actually care, with the possible exception of myles, but he's not consistent enough.
more like 5/10.

Pains me to say it but the roosters have a talented list- pearce, carney, minicello, perret, williamson, symonds, cherrington, myles, jones, m.aubusson, skd, but the worst attitude in the comp. it might take him a season and getting rid of some bad eggs, but smith will fix that.

mind you the sharks aren't exactly going to set the world on fire. We definitely need one more quality signing to make the 8 next year, but i'm not sure we'll see that.

Backs: 5/10
Perhaps surprisingly enough for the fans of other clubs, there's some talent in this backline- more than the one that got us to the prelim last year. its just very inexperienced and and might make some defensive mistakes, and still a little slow... but will improve. Hopefully stuart keeps giving the young guys like wright a run rather than feet-for-hands pomeroy, and guys with talent like Ben Orcher and Nathan Gardner get opportunities. Dean Collis will be our best buy for next year, and dare i say it but Blake Ferguson's got a lot of Folau about him, at least in size/build and athleticism, if not achievement so far.

Halves/hooker: 6/10
Added together, Morris and Aiton equal one good hooker, and that is going to be such an improvement on what we had this year just gone. Barrett is class- he's playing the best football of his life and we will rely on him a lot. Then again, most clubs rely on a dominant playmaker, so its hardly unusual. Scott Porter is the weak(est) link... he'll either be a solid foil to Barrett with a good kicking game, be outclassed or, perhaps more likely, have his knees play up and be out for the season injured.
We're waiting for the future to develop... we've got the two nsw u18 halves in townsend and kelly in the 20s. Yay, more waiting.

Forwards: 7/10
Our strength, particularly defensively. No sharks fan would trade snowden and douglas for any pair of props in the comp, they're tireless and deserve more consideration for nsw. gallen is inspirational, tupou is class and williams has talent but needs to find his best form. behind them there's probably no one who will push for starting selection though, except for cuthbertson, but then only if we use him as a backrower. Could be more depth in the second row, but still our strength and our forwards will consistently be our best players again and keep us in a lot of games.

Prediction: 10th/11th is fair. Could scrape into the 8, but I think we'll lose too many of the close ones. Consistency of execution, not effort, will be the issue. If wright/fergo and whoever the fullback is come along really well and become consistent attacking threats then we'll have a good season. Injuries are a threat again, but that can be said about almost any club.

oh and lol@manly fans who think they can make the 8, let alone win the comp without stewart. he's going to gaol folks.

Last edited:

Iafeta

Referee
Warriors

Backs - 4.5 - I don't know how Tate will come back, Vatuvei and Locke are fantastic, the rest ordinary
Halves - 4 - Possibly more if they gel well, at least they'll be able to hobble faster than poor old Stace
Forwards - 5 - Rapira and Price are tops, back row is ordinary. Matulino and Ta'ai have to really stand up for the Warriors to have any chance of creating anything out of the forwards.

Prediction: 14th. We never seem to finish last, but off the back of what happened this year its only hope that thinks we can do any better.

playdaball

Bench
Warriors

Backs - 4.5 - I don't know how Tate will come back, Vatuvei and Locke are fantastic, the rest ordinary
Halves - 4 - Possibly more if they gel well, at least they'll be able to hobble faster than poor old Stace
Forwards - 5 - Rapira and Price are tops, back row is ordinary. Matulino and Ta'ai have to really stand up for the Warriors to have any chance of creating anything out of the forwards.

Prediction: 14th. We never seem to finish last, but off the back of what happened this year its only hope that thinks we can do any better.

Basically agree with you Feka. I drop the halves down to 3 though.

Warriors will finish around 11th next year - Tate back and refreshed Price, Ropati, Mannering, Vatuvei, Rapira & MacKinnon as well as a bigger year from some of the rookies.
Seymour will make or break this team next year.

anjado

Juniors
Penrith

Backs - 6/10 : We have two outstanding backs Jennings when we give him the ball is excellent and Gordon who is also very good and the best goal kicker in the competition,Coote is a promising player but coming back from a serious injury is always a test, after losing Daniela and Tia Kilifi we are sorely lacking depth in the backline, Elford,Simmons,Tighe,Blair. Don't really inspire confidence and if you took out Jennings we would be pushing Cronulla for the worst outside backs in the comp.

Halves and hooker - 5/10 : Walsh had a good start at Penrith, We were very fortunate since our coach and management thought it would be a great idea to start the season without a halfback. Graham is still raw and im not 100% convinced with him yet he has the ability to be a classy player. But i think the jusry is still out. I have no idea who our hooker will be Kevin Kingston would be a good pick up, Im not convinced by Romelo at all, Iosefa showed a lot of potential but i don't know if his head is screwed on straight. So all in all its a lowish rating but there is a potential for improvement.

Forwards - 8/10 : Petero, Waterhouse and Lewis are all quality players, Pritchard is arguably better then all of them when he can be bothered. Plum is an astute signing will add much needed aggression in defence which is something we have lacked for a long long time, Daine Laurie is a decent signing should add some aggression and impact. Our forwards are generally pretty decent as long as they are all fit.

Prediction : best case scenario ie a couple of more signings in the backs and not many injuries i think 6th, realistically i think 12th but any injuries to pretty much any of our top players and i can see us really struggling.

Canard

Immortal
Cowboys

Backs 3/10 - Woeful, below NRL standard in key areas, size, skill and speed especially.

Halves/Hooker - 8/10 Thurston and Payne, nuff said.

Forwards 7/10 - Some good toilers and nice bit of mongrel, but severly lacking in up front muscle, especially with the loss of Tronc. In truth since Ra left we haven't had consistent prop combination, despite the shinining light of Matt Scott.

NGR

Juniors
SOUTH SYDNEY RABBITOHS

BACKS: Mix of speed out wide (merritt and simspon) and height (taloana and best). Wesser if injury free ads a lot to attack but can be big liability at crucial times by making unforced errors. Centres are ok, best is solid in defense and gets outside his man pretty easily. Only question mark is will he get early ball this year. so if everything falls into place i would say we are a 7

Halfs/Hooker: Sutton has shown he is an awesome 5/8, needs to consistently show this each game. Sandow is the major question mark. He is a liability in defence and hasnt taken control of the game enough. his short range kicking can be pinpoint but that happened too little last year. With the forward pack we have, he should have time and room to move so maybe that will give him the edge. Luke is a gun, just needs to stay out on the field for 80 minutes. So, if sandow gets the room and time and finds his form i say souths halves would be a 7

Forwards: Should be our new strength. However i see a major weakness with mobility and speed in our forwards. essentially we may have 4 props on the field at one time with asotasi, stuart, burgess and taylor. They will make plenty of meters and domiate the opposition but will opposition little men could have some fun with them as well. I will give them an 8

There are no excuses to not finishing in the 8 this year. But now we are competitive again, it also means the whole competition is. So really pretty much any team can make it. Il take a stab and say we finish 7th

D

Deleted member 10972

Sydney Roosters:

Backs - 5/10

1. Anthony Minichiello
2. Sam Perrett
3. Mitchell Aubusson
4. Phil Graham
5. Shaun Kenny-Dowall

Reserves: Luke Towers (fullback), Steve Naughton (wing), Kane Linnett (centre), Sisa Waqa (wing), Sonny Tuigamala (centre/wing)

Plenty of points in that group, but there are some serious issues. Firstly, the fitness of Minichiello (both physical and mental) are of great concern, as he clearly struggled at the end of 2009. Mitchell Aubusson is not a centre, he is a lock in the David Stagg style who is forced to play in the centres because of our lack of backline quality. Graham has pace and experience but is injury-prone and also liable to extended dips in form. Shaun Kenny-Dowall can score tries, but lets in twice as many with simple fundamental errors. As for the depth, the first three are untested, and the last two were failures in limited opportunities this year. The one shining light - Sam Perrett. You always know what you'll get from him, and it is 110% effort.

Halves - 7/10

6. Todd Carney
7. Mitchell Pearce

Reserves: Braith Anasta (five-eighth), James Aubusson (halfback), Ben Jones (five-eighth), Nick Kouparitsas

Todd Carney, although he has been out of the NRL for a season and a half, has shown in the past his amazing ability, and at five-eighth he might be able to exhibit his running game. Pearce also has tremendous talent, and plenty of guts to boot - he tackles harder and takes more big hits than most other halfbacks, and keeps getting up despite his age. The issue is the lack of experience however - if this combination fails early on, expect to see the more experienced Anasta slot back into the halves.

Forwards - 7/10

8. Jason Ryles
9. Jake Friend
10. Lopini Paea
11. Willie Mason
12. Nate Myles
13. Braith Anasta

14. Ben Jones (utility hooker/five-eighth)
15. Tom Symonds (backrow)
16. Jared Waerea-Hargreaves (prop/backrow)
17. FP Nuuausala (prop)

Reserves: Martin Kennedy (prop), Mose Masoe (prop/backrow), Anthony Cherrington (backrow), Daniel Conn (backrow), Nick Kouparitsas (lock), Brad Takairangi (backrow), Aiden Guerra (backrow), James Aubusson (hooker), Mitch Aubusson (lock)

The depth reserve players are pretty average and mostly untested, though expect to see Anthony Cherrington replace Willie Mason either by the end of 2010, or before the season starts. Jason Ryles SHOULD boost the go-forward department, with Paea, Nuuausala, Myles and Waerea-Hargreaves providing plenty of yards. Symonds is expected to be a hole-hitting backrower, while Jones creates spark from DH after Friend gets a spell. The biggest question marks are:

1. Can Braith Anasta handle playing at lock for 80 minutes regularly?
2. Can Nate Myles shoulder the workload that Fitzy left behind?

Halycon

Juniors
what is it with rooters fans and their halves?!?!!

you guys came last-you had nothing all year(not even effort), yet you seem to think your halves were the best in the comp.

Yeah fair enough looking at the rest of the thread I probably overrated the Roosters halves depth. I still think Carney and Pearce will be a fantastic combination imo.

My Criteria:

Outside Backs (If he is good to great he gets 1.5 or 2,1 point if passable if not then 0)
Halves/Hooker (If tremendous receives 3-3.5, If he is okay he gets
1-2.5 if he is rubbish gets 0)(If all 3 players are 3.5 then obviously
it exceeds 10 (10.5) so it will be an automatic 10 (as it would be if
the scores are 3.5, 3.5 and 3).

Fowards (0-2, 0 if rubbish, 1 if nrl standard, 1.5 if solid, 2 if excellent)

Bench (1 if Rookie/Okay), 1.5-2 if nrl standard) 2.5 (Good to Great)

Souths

01. Rhys Wesser 1 (In terms of a fullback, he is passable in comparison to other fullbacks in the comp, If he gets back to his 2003 form, he could jump up).
02. Nathan Merritt 2 (Awesome player in d and a, doesn't get recognition he deserves)
03. Colin Best 1.5 (Quality in defender but needs more ball early on next year)
04. Beau Champion 1 (would of given him a 0-0.5 but he improved alot back end of last before getting injured)
05. Fetuli Talanoa 0.5 (Hegarty-esque in defence and Inconsistent in attack, Unfortunately I think he will get first shot over Vai Vai)
Backs 6/10
06. John Sutton 3 (No Comment Needed)
07. Chris Sandow 1.5 (Make of Break Season, Under the NRL's forward pack if he can't perform to his ability then he will never ever will)
09. Issac Luke 2.5 (Still needs improvement as a hooker, Good potential and Kiwis No.1 Hooker but needs to be able to play 80 minutes and serve the team just that little bit better, good impact player but needs to offer more in defence not just attack)
Playmakers 7/10
08. Ben Ross 1 (Will start
due to experience, Big Dave has alot to prove, His fitness and his
defence around the rucks and getting back the 10 without being caught
out, No doubt Dave is quality a player in attack, though lacks fitness
over a long period of the match and his tackling etc is a problem, I
have some concerns with Ben which is his fitness and whether he can get
back to his form around 2003-2004)
10. Roy Asotasi 1.5 (His form recently has been NRL Standard, Nothing special at all)
11. Luke Stuart 1.5 (Consistent NRL Player)
12. Sam Burgess 2 (I am believing the hype around him atm, awesome acquistion)
13. Michael Crocker 1.5
(His form was good without being great, understandably, He got thrown
into origin after just 1 or 2 NRL games after a long lay-off due to his
visa problem, I feel he will be back to his best next year, though 1.5
until proven he is (same with Roy).
Forwards 7.5/10
14. Jason Clark 1 (A 1 game rookie that has potential to make tackles)
15. David Taylor 2.5
(Will find his way into the starting line-up some-time next year, Still
has a few little kinks in his game which would worry me. He always has
a period of 20-25 minutes even when playing 50-60 where he is
devastating, the other 35 he looks tired or he is already on the bench,
He is an awesome player in attack, but our forward pack next year can
afford to groom into a starting role).
16. Eddy Pettybourne 2
(Another very good bench player that would of started next year if not
for the Burgess signing, So I feel sorry for him, He has great
potential also).
17. David Tyrrell 1.5 (Similar player to Crocker, a nut in defence)
Bench 7/10

Last edited:

brendo

Juniors
sharkies
backs 5.5/10 mix of youth and experience slow but solid
halves 6/10 barrett is good and if morris can b 7 with aiton at 9 it will come good
forwards 8/10 gallen and tupou both rep players and snowden/douglas consisstent it is great

Spank

Juniors
halves 6/10 barrett is good and if morris can b 7 with aiton at 9 it will come good

That is the funniest collection of statements i have read on this site hahaha

Im stumped that somebody in Australia other then Tim Sheens wants Morris to play in the 7 hahaha

jpaciocco91

Juniors
Cowboys

Backs 3/10 - Woeful, below NRL standard in key areas, size, skill and speed especially.

Halves/Hooker - 8/10 Thurston and Payne, nuff said.

Forwards 7/10 - Some good toilers and nice bit of mongrel, but severly lacking in up front muscle, especially with the loss of Tronc. In truth since Ra left we haven't had consistent prop combination, despite the shinining light of Matt Scott.

you really think the C'boys backs are that bad?

Ghoulies

Bench
Broncos

Backs 7/10: From positions 2-5 we're closer to an 8 or 9 out of 10, but our fullback position is still an unknown quantity.

Halves 8/10: If Lockyer retires from rep football and NSW selectors choose a victim for the Blues halfback spot other than Wallace then the combination of these two should compensate for our average forward pack.

Forwards 5/10: The potential of our backrow saves me from giving our forwards a truly dismal score. Thaiday is already an international quality back rower, while Setu and Teo when in form are very damaging. The less said about our front row stocks, the better.

Latest posts