What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ratings disaster for Seven

Status
Not open for further replies.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Marcus said:
El Duque said:
Marcus said:
When I hear the ratings on the radio, there is always one program that tops it, 'National Nine News'.

I started to think, "now why is that?". Then it dawned on me. The people who participate in these ratings things, are the same people that participate week in and week out, for who knows how long - a year maybe?

Considering how people are creatures of habit, how much variation is their viewing patterns going to change from week to week? Very little I would think. If your set in your ways and you love sitting down on the couch at 6pm to watch NNN, then NNN is going to win everytime you sit down at 6pm.

TV ratings are only as good as the amount of people that is surveyed. Same goes for polls and any other survey that research companies carry out.

Excuses. There's no AFL or NRL on Friday nights yet the RUWC doesn't seem to be attracting those viewers and their normal habit on a Friday is to watch footy.

Unlike the Union spin doctors would have some believe, Australia has not "embraced" Union. sh*t, more people would rather watch a 20 year old movie on a Sunday night that has already been shown 1,000 times.

Over 1 million have already attended games, average works out to be 33k. It will get higher as we play in bigger stadiums. These are PAYING customers not some channel-flicker.

Now you go off on another tangent. This topic is about ratings, not attendance figures.

You said people are "creatures of habit" and the habit for AFL and NRL fans on a Friday night is to watch footy yet Union can't get near the numbers of either code. What are these "creatures of habit" doing, Marcus?

cheese

Bench
If the blokes running the program werent such a bunch of dire soft cocks, i would probably be inclined to watch a few more games.

But that fat fudger is awful ......he makes vautin look like eddie murphy.

What a joke .....If union had ANY credibility, they would have people like Nick Far Jones, Phil Kearns of Tim Horan running the show. Not some scumtown C grade comedian like vince serenti. And what about that manky who thinks she's the shiz?!

the coverage is pitiful...

iggy plop

First Grade
Marcus said:
El Duque said:
Marcus said:
When I hear the ratings on the radio, there is always one program that tops it, 'National Nine News'.

I started to think, "now why is that?". Then it dawned on me. The people who participate in these ratings things, are the same people that participate week in and week out, for who knows how long - a year maybe?

Considering how people are creatures of habit, how much variation is their viewing patterns going to change from week to week? Very little I would think. If your set in your ways and you love sitting down on the couch at 6pm to watch NNN, then NNN is going to win everytime you sit down at 6pm.

TV ratings are only as good as the amount of people that is surveyed. Same goes for polls and any other survey that research companies carry out.

Excuses. There's no AFL or NRL on Friday nights yet the RUWC doesn't seem to be attracting those viewers and their normal habit on a Friday is to watch footy.

Unlike the Union spin doctors would have some believe, Australia has not "embraced" Union. sh*t, more people would rather watch a 20 year old movie on a Sunday night that has already been shown 1,000 times.

Over 1 million have already attended games, average works out to be 33k. It will get higher as we play in bigger stadiums. These are PAYING customers not some channel-flicker.

And do you think the union will be averaging 33k next season when club rugby, Super 12 and Test figures are averaged out?

I'd love to see average league v union attendances in Australia for club, state and international games for a whole season.

Make great reading.

cheese said:
If the blokes running the program werent such a bunch of dire soft cocks, i would probably be inclined to watch a few more games.

But that fat fudger is awful ......he makes vautin look like eddie murphy.

What a joke .....If union had ANY credibility, they would have people like Nick Far Jones, Phil Kearns of Tim Horan running the show. Not some scumtown C grade comedian like vince serenti. And what about that manky who thinks she's the shiz?!

the coverage is pitiful...

I have no idea what a "manky" is, or the "shiz"...I must be getting old. :lol: But I do agree with your point - the presentation of the games by Channel 7 has been incredibly amateurish.

Chris Handy is a one-trick pony - he has that one-eyed view of everything which is OK for the diehards but is offputting for the wider audience. Vince Sorrenti is equally one-eyed and has yet to make a funny comment. Liz Ellis just looks lost for anything credible to say.

They also don't seem sure what their audience is. I have noticed a few dumbed-down comments trying to explain rules in the way that you would to a slow-witted five year old. Then they just revert to union-speak. Surely you're either providing a jargon-free version or you're not.

This is a station that has Roy and HG - guys known for their sport and for their insight and proven ratings-winners - and restrict them to a few shows at the back-end of the tournament.

In short, Seven has to take a share of the blame for its poor ratings - it's not all down to the vagaries of the tournament.

Parra_Eels

Bench
buddha is terrible hosting the panel. put him back on the sideline. and what the f**k does liz ellis have to do with bloody union. also did they axe the cream or something coz i haven't seen one show

El Diablo

Post Whore
League fans should boycott any appearance Sorrenti makes. He had a subtle dig at RL in explaining the Union rules the other night which was a pathetic attempt at trying to make RL sound boring(because of the 6 tackle rule) and Union sound interesting.

This guy just seems to jump on whatever will put his name in lights. He never was and never will be funny. Whatever career he's trying to pursue I feel jumping on a panel at 7 isn't doing him any favours.

iggy plop

First Grade
From what I've seen tonight poor Vince and his horse-headed girlfriend are no longer part of seven's World Cup cov.

Mango

Juniors
The ratings are for the seven network which shows many of the matches on late night replay after Fox has shown the game live. we all know replays rate poorly but we also know that major Rugby games shown live rate very highly. The screening of matches live at venues around the city on big screens such as Manly Oval have attracted large crowds. If the people meters were at these venues the ratings would be distorted in Rugby's favour. Surely the match attendences have proven beyond doubt the success of the RwC. If you are a league supporter and feel threatened by the crowd numbers then tough titty, you will only alienate the crowd participants by telling them they only went for "the event". each person knows why they went and what they thought of the experience, your opinion is of no consequence to them.

the 2-3000 Welshmen that watched Wales get thrashed by the 3rd grade Kangaroos will not be put off by the derision that will ensue in the Welsh media anymore than the purile attempts of the leaguies to belittle the RWC on this site.

Razor

Coach
Mango said:
T you will only alienate the crowd participants by telling them they only went for "the event".

The ARU, IRB and Rugby media keep telling as they go for the event, and not the game. So are you saying they are wrong, when they are the ones who know?

the 2-3000 Welshmen that watched Wales get thrashed by the 3rd grade Kangaroos will not be put off by the derision that will ensue in the Welsh media anymore than the purile attempts of the leaguies to belittle the RWC on this site.

More like the 4th rate Wales side getting thrashed by the 2nd rate Aussie side.

Mango

Juniors
Razor,

You illustrate my point perfectly...telling it as you would like it to be rather than how it is. Get with the facts, if you want to cite what the ARU/IRB are saying then please quote the instance. Your credibility is too low to accept at face value.

iggy plop

First Grade
Mango said:
The ratings are for the seven network which shows many of the matches on late night replay after Fox has shown the game live. we all know replays rate poorly but we also know that major Rugby games shown live rate very highly. The screening of matches live at venues around the city on big screens such as Manly Oval have attracted large crowds. If the people meters were at these venues the ratings would be distorted in Rugby's favour. Surely the match attendences have proven beyond doubt the success of the RwC. If you are a league supporter and feel threatened by the crowd numbers then tough titty, you will only alienate the crowd participants by telling them they only went for "the event". each person knows why they went and what they thought of the experience, your opinion is of no consequence to them.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

We'd maybe feel threatened if the world cup was held every year and got the same attendances, but unfortunately for the Mango-types, it isn't and rugby in Australia will again come down to 18 super 12 games plus a few test matches.

bazza

Immortal
Mango said:
we all know replays rate poorly but we also know that major Rugby games shown live rate very highly.

Do they? I don't think a union game has ever been a top ratings winner apart from the opening game of this world cup. Even Bledisloe cup matches don't rate all that highly. Perhaps some of the finals matches can get up there though

Mango said:
The screening of matches live at venues around the city on big screens such as Manly Oval have attracted large crowds. If the people meters were at these venues the ratings would be distorted in Rugby's favour.

During the Olympics there were a lot more live sites with a lot more people and the ratings for some days were in the top 10 for the whole year. The live sites may have a few thousand people which really makes little difference when a high rating show in Sydney needs to get at least 1.5 million viewers to be near the top.

But really, the only people who should care about the ratings are the ARU and any television stations who are planning to bid for the new super 12 TV rights and the TV rights for a proposed national rugby union competition.

If union's number 1 event doesn't translate into high ratings with no competition from other sports at the same time, then it doesn't give the ARU much leverage in negotiations

bayrep

Juniors
bazza said:
Mango said:
we all know replays rate poorly but we also know that major Rugby games shown live rate very highly.

Do they? I don't think a union game has ever been a top ratings winner apart from the opening game of this world cup. Even Bledisloe cup matches don't rate all that highly. Perhaps some of the finals matches can get up there though

Mango said:
The screening of matches live at venues around the city on big screens such as Manly Oval have attracted large crowds. If the people meters were at these venues the ratings would be distorted in Rugby's favour.

During the Olympics there were a lot more live sites with a lot more people and the ratings for some days were in the top 10 for the whole year. The live sites may have a few thousand people which really makes little difference when a high rating show in Sydney needs to get at least 1.5 million viewers to be near the top.

But really, the only people who should care about the ratings are the ARU and any television stations who are planning to bid for the new super 12 TV rights and the TV rights for a proposed national rugby union competition.

If union's number 1 event doesn't translate into high ratings with no competition from other sports at the same time, then it doesn't give the ARU much leverage in negotiations

You are comparing these ratings to just Aus, what are the ratings across other nations taking this TV feed. ?

bazza

Immortal
bayrep said:
You are comparing these ratings to just Aus, what are the ratings across other nations taking this TV feed. ?

I don't think channel 7 or whoever would care too much aobut how many people watched in France when considering how much to bid for the new super 12 or national RU competition to show in Australia. That is probably why John O'Neill and the ARU are a bit upset

From what I heard, ratings in England for England games have been around 5 million - can't be certain though (it does make the supposed 4 billion hard to reach though)

bazza

Immortal
ali said:
So, how bad were sevens ratings on Sunday night this week?

This is a pro-union forum and only positives are discussed.

The correct question is:
"So, how GOOD were seven's ratings on Sunday this week?"

AuckMel

Bench
ali said:
So, how bad were sevens ratings on Sunday night this week?

Aus v Ireland was the 7th most watched programm last week.

Sunday nights game comes out next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.